Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,348 | Reviews: 697
4.42/5  rDev +24.2%

A mold of clouded copper. Small, unlasting cap of big bubbly froth. Light lacing with some strings and tiny spots.

Aroma is lovely with a huge smokey malt and roasted pepper waft.
Round and spicy, smokey and resonating. Nice!

Taste is just as nice with moderate malts giving weight to the smokey ridge in which it rides. Fun lingering finish with the smokey leftovers and grab of roasted pepper spice. It wavers on the palate for good length with smokey pepperness. Quite nice. Never over the top with its spice, but definately present.

Feel is a sturdy medium body with a malty centered middle and one fun finish with the smokey spices and lightly textured dryness.

A drinkable, fun brew to behold if in the mood for something out of the ordinary. Perfectly spiced and smokey for this Northern boys' buds.

4.42/5  rDev +24.2%

Just want to start by saying that a Chipotle pepper is one of my favorite flavors, on/in anything. So naturally I was excited about this beer.

A- Even the color looks smoky, nice rust orange cloudy. Foreshadows the flavor.

S- Smells just like I hoped it would. Pepper aroma thats not over powering.

T- I don't know what a "perfect" chili beer tastes like but this will work for me. Great southwest spiced flavor with a hint of malt. Not overpowering or spicy but just dang tasty.

M- Good carbonation and just a touch dry, which works with the pepper flavors

D- I could see how after a few the taste would get old but I enjoyed the heck out of the one I had. Would be great with a southwest dish of comparable flavors.

Overall great beer and a different taste. This beer exceeded what I thought a chipotle beer would be like.

4.43/5  rDev +24.4%

Appearance:
I poured this beer directly from the bottle into red wine glass. The liquid was a reddish copper color and the head was a very pale tan. Just a shade off of white.

Smell:
The malt in this beer is very noticeable. The smell that the chipotle gives off is very faint. It's as if you walked into a room where chipotles where on display, rather than holding one up to your nose.

Taste:
The taste of this beer is very unique. The hop flavor is almost inevident, but chipotle fills that hole very nicely. It isn't a strong chile flavor though (scoville-phobes need not avoid this brew). The chipotle taste is not overbearing and definitely not spicy.

Mouth feel:
Drinking this beer gives me the feeling of having eaten a very spicy meal about 45 minutes ago. I just have a sort of a very gentle tingling in the gums and palate. I'm not sure I described that correctly, but it's a very enjoyable feeling.

Overall:
This is a very nice beer and a unique one to experience. This is my first chile beer, and I hope to explore many more offerings in the genre.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Though I wouldn't even call this spicy, I do enjoy really spicy food and the feeling you get from it.

4.47/5  rDev +25.6%

Pours out a rich amber with moderate carbonation and a khaki head that settles to a sturdy, dimpled, and wavy 1/2". Leaves Very fine lace patterns. Smell is of faint chipotle at first, followed by a rich bready and nutty maltiness, floral hops, a smokiness (removed from the chile) not unlike that of a Scottish ale, and some buttery notes. Chipotle really comes out in the forefront of the flavor. Beneath it, I get a bready and nutty malt backbone, filled out with some soft, floral hops flavors. Finishes dry and slightly bitter. Mouthfeel is substantial, not too heavy or thin, with a softness in the carbonation that makes this wonderful. Leaves a little heat on my lips and a little bit less on the tongue. This would be a great session.

This could be written off as some sort of novelty beer, but I really think the chipotle works excellently at accenting the pale ale/amber ale base. Really reminds me of a Scottish ale but with a hint of chile.

4.47/5  rDev +25.6%

Appearance is a translucent amber-orange with a huge tan head. The individual bubbles on the side of the glass look larger than usual. Gorgeous lacing as I drink it down.

The smell is smoky chipotle. It's overwhelming.

Taste is, you guessed it, smoky chipotle. I've had beer infused with hot peppers before and they were disgusting. This one is great. It's not hot, it just gives you the smoke and the flavor of the chipotle pepper. There's a sweet smooth malt flavor underneath the chipotle. I made some enchiladas the other day with chipotles in them and I can't wait to eat the one I'm warming, accompanied by this beer, as soon as I finish this review. I love chipotle peppers and I can't believe it works this well in a beer.

Nice thick creamy mouthfeel.

This stuff is awesome. I wish I could have one of these every time I have mexican food.

4.48/5  rDev +25.8%

I wasn't sure what to except of this beer since the last chile beer I had was Crazy Ed's and I didn't care for that one bit. Based on the BA rating and knowing that it's a Rogue Ale I knew I wouldn't be let down. It pours a cloudy brown color with little head. For some reason I was excepting a strong chile smell, but it is quite mild as it that of brown ale. With the mouthfeel you have a nice sense of carbonation and is smooth. The taste is similar to a brown ale, but has hint of another flavor I just can't pinpoint. Even for people that don't like the idea of chile in beer should give this at try, I was pleasantly surprised and can easily drink several of these. Two thumbs up on this one.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales