Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 693 | Hads: 1,375
2.27/5  rDev -36.9%

Had this beer in a 4oz sample glass at the brewery as part of a sampler.

A-amber body with a nice white head

S-the pepper is definately evident but not the smoky scent I would have expected from a chipotle

T-chipotle flavor is there along with some malt

M-medium

D-Okay. I don't know why this one bummed me out so much. I didn't really feel any heat from this. I also expected alot more smoke flavor and scent. (415 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -36.7%

I love peppers, and I love beer. I even love eating peppers while I’m drinking beer. But a beer whose primary (almost sole) noticeable ingredient IS peppers? No thanks. Rogue makes many good beers, and I’ve enjoyed most of them, but I’ll pass on this one. (258 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -36.7%

This is my first chile beer. It is probably a good example of the style but I don't care for it much. Amber red color. No head or carbonation. Some mild lacing on the sides of the glass. Up front, it smells and tastes like a nice malty ale but the chile aftertaste and finish is just too overwhelming. Its disappointing because it seems like it would be better if it was a little milder on the chiles. I had to try this novelty beer. I will not buy another one. (461 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -36.4%

After having a fresh chili pepper porter from 3rd Wave and falling in love, maybe I'm biased. This beer did not live up to the hype for me. Lacking pepper flavor all together. (175 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -35.8%

A - Poured a light copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing

S - Isn't too good its of smoke and pepper

T - Things don't really get any better in this department more smokey peppers

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation

D - I don't think I can drink the rest of this pint its just not drinkable to me I'd say avoid this beer (359 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -34.7%

This offering poured into a chalice, formed a marginal head, loose carbonation, chilli smell is generic and something you'd find at chilli's. tobasco type smell.

Of course there is a spicy center to this brew and to be perfectly honest it has a nice sting. Needed. There is a vinegarish middle, sharp carbonation. Taco seasoning packages. Light watery mouthfeel. I've got to say this is the the offering from rogue where I go ....HUH?

I would never drink this as a daily. Weekly is out of the question, and yearly?....yeah maybe. Not for me fellas....I'm convinced this will sell well with certain demo's but it misses me alltogether. (641 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -34.4%

A- Nice Amber color

S- I did not notice any chipotle smell after pouring although it had did have a pleasant aroma.

T- I agree that the taste is similar to a mild amber ale upfront. Definately felt some heat in the finish, which was nice and not too overpowering.

M- good mouthfeel

D- I am glad I tried it, but I don't think I will buy it again. I like spicy foods, but not a big fan of spicy beers. (403 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -34.2%

Had a 22 oz. bottle of this beer,made with actual chipotle peppers. I had to try this beer.Poured into a pint glass.Nice amber color.beautiful fluffy white head.Had a smokey,very slight vineagar.spicey smell.
It tasted ok at first,but the aftertaste I didn't like, I felt like I was drinking it out of an old shoe.My friends also tasted it and didn't like it either. Maybe it would have tasted good with chips and salsa. This the only beer from Rogue I don't like. (465 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -33.9%

Appearance – This one is clear brown in color with no head. It looks like a flat Marzen.

Smell – The light, weak malt nose is no match for the strong chile aroma. NassT.

Taste – I found some peaty notes that seem to say that these chiles were roasted on an open grill. It actually does taste a bit like chipotle, but in a bad sort of way.

Mouthfeel – This one is a bit bigger than light-bodied and flat. The aftertaste had me gagging.

Sinkability – Ay, caramba! Estos cervesa es muy malo. (505 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -33.1%

Chipotles and beer do not usually go together, except in the forms of spicy tacos and Corona. So it is with some suspicion and trepidation that I approach an ale made with chipotles. Even the first whiff lets me know the strength of the peppers, as the ale--with its expected odors of lightly toasted grains and malts--bears a strong smoky quality about the nose, reminiscent of a Rauchbier, but with more kick.

On the tongue, the chipotle flavor is front and center, dominating from the first moment to the last with its spicy smokiness. And make no mistake: there is a definite light burn to it, like watery Tabasco. On a good note, this is top-quality chipotle flavor, reminding me instantly of greasy cantinas in Mexico City where the chipotles are fire-roasted out back in rotating mesh drums--the kind of cantinas where you eat until it's simply impossible to stuff more food down your windpipe. On a bad note, the flavor is strong enough that the rest of the ale is largely left by the wayside, which is truly something, considering this ale has three kinds of malts and two varieties of hops.

Overall, then, while I do adore the flavors of chipotles in general, they're overly-represented here, and should have been equal partners, rather than the dominating boss demanding those TPS reports be delivered five minutes ago. (1,334 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -32.8%

A: copper with pretty good sized head

S: a little smokey and spicy with a bit of hop aroma

T: didn't work for me. I was really curious about this when I saw it but felt the smokey chipotle pepper was a little too overpowering to have a 22 on your own

M: average for an almost reddish ale

D:just too much heat. I love good spicy food and hoped this would be a great combination but it just seemed a little too one dimensional to me

I would say it's an interesting beer to try, but best to have a few friends around to taste with you as I couldn't do a whole 22 by myself (575 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -31.9%

pours a semi-hazy dark orange with a small dirty white head, and just a little lacing.

smell is of corn, grain, some pepper, a little chili powder in the back, and malt.

taste is of chipolte, corn, malt, and a touch of caramel, end has a strange aftertaste to it. (265 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -31.7%

22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a clear amber color with a finger of dense white head. Good retention.

S: Each time I sniff this beer, I get something different - really odd. It's like it has a bunch of different flavors (all fairly mild), but they aren't melded together. It's like smelling several different beers all at once. I get bready malts, a bit of smoke, a bit of piney hops, and a bit of malted milk balls. In the background, I also get a bit of spice.

T: Equally as odd. The beer starts out with bready malts andy a bit of toffee behind that. After that I get some oxidation notes with a piney hop and slight smoke finish. Again, the flavors seem independent of each other and really do not meld together. The beer is also quite dry to the point it's a bit unpleasant. The aftertaste has a bit of spice burn.

M: Very thin with medium to high carbonation.

O: Definitely an odd experience. There are a lot of things going on in this beer, but all very mild and the flavors do not meld well. I really don't like this beer very much. It need a thicker mouthfeel, more sweetness, and flavors that complement each other a bit better. (1,148 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -31.1%

I had no idea what to expect upon buying this one. The aroma definitely has chipotle with the usual hops. Pours deep amber with a medium tan head. The taste is actually very mild. Hoppy and malty, the chipotle takes a back seat. You can taste it, but its not like that horrible. It wasn't to enjoyable. (302 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Overheard some guy at a recent beer festival complaining about one of the more experimental offerings: "Keep all that fruit and spices and shit outta my BEER!" I appreciate a pure approach to any craft, but for those of us who feel beer is somewhere between craft and art, his remarks seemed short-sighted. But it takes all kinds, even the people who don't want pineapple in their pizza or keyboards in their rock 'n' roll.

So it was with brave heart and palate that I reached for this strange Rogue offering several days later. Now I open it and find a light-tan head with a slight red tint to it. The color of the beer is also very red, with sparse and mellow bubbles.

The aroma is strongly of chipotle but even more strongly of the smoke they were smothered in. It's a very nice and, for a beer, very unusual smell. If I were blindfolded I probably wouldn't guess this was beer I'm smelling.

Flavor-wise, well, you gotta love smoked beer to get anything out this. As with the aroma, the smoke comes on much stronger than the actual chipotle flavor. But, chipotle being a very distinctive flavor, it's here, and the smoke/pepper combination is a hairy thing to have in the mouth in liquid form. Yikes. Had the smoke been a little less powerful, and the beer itself carried through something, ANYTHING resembling traditional ingredients, it would've helped offer more depth than it does. It has no depth, and thus strikes these tastebuds as a novelty.

Mouthfeel is fairly dry and the spicy and smoky elements linger long.

The first sip is cool. The second sip you start noticing its weaknesses. By the fifth sip I'm not sure I can make it through this bomber-size bottle. Maybe they should sell this in 6 oz. bottles. A novelty beer, a novelty bottle. Glad to have had it, and I still don't agree with the ultra-purist beer drinker referenced above...but no doubt, neither one of us are big fans of this particular experiment. (1,943 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -29.2%

Perhaps I don't understand the style but this beer really didn't take to me. Thick dense head on top of a dark amber crystaline body. Smelled lightly of peppers and timber ash, pleasant on the cool evening. It tastes vaguely of chili paste or spoiled almonds (kinda a numbing sensation). Left no discernable aftertaste but was hard enough to take down. Felt about right but not drinkable as it's taste was a bit too chili for me. (429 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -28.9%

Eight ingredients: Great western Harrington, Klagos & Maier Munich Malts, Cascade & Willamette, Smoked Chipotle peppers, H2O & Pac Man yeast.

Dim cloudy peach hues containing small particles floating around, leaving a thin beige halo collar easily aroused and then flattened with a swirl.

Aromatic scents of hard candy, a oerceivable latex lolipop malts meets a vegetal celery salt hint. (Maybe my imagination, but Cuervo might be in there.)

First swigs: Malt and a delicate smoked background. Reminiscent of a scotch ale. Halfway through, the pepper hot twinge perks up with lingering butery malt aftertaste followed by a throat warming pepper. Aftertaste of diacetyl? Maybe this bottle is oxygenized?

Overall, this was merely a delve into the curiosity corner. This was a bottle of Mexicali, actually. Now labeled as Chipotle. I'd like to re-try this at a later date, but the Mexicali might be past its prime. Buttery malty ale with a touch of tobasco. (967 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -28.3%

Presentation: 22 ounce Bomber. Cream, Red and Brown colored façade with the words ‘Chipotle Ale’; underneath the familiar looking Rogueish Chap. The geeky beer blurb lists this as an Ale Brewed with Chipotle Peppers on the bottle, but its vital statistics are more scientifically expressed as 13° Plato, 34 IBU, 77 AA, 3.2° Lovibond.

Appearance: Dark amber-red body with deep orange flashes, looks extremely good when backlit. The beige head is thick and has an egg-white stiffness which leaves a nice run of smattered lace on the edge of the Glass Mug I am using. Conditioning seems high at first but settles to a moderate level once the head sits down and relaxes.

Nose: Smokey malt nose with a Chipotle Tabasco Sauce odor. Toasted malts break through in the finish with a delicate hint of hops, but not much.

Taste: Lots of smoky malts in this one smoked and toasted the middle only hints at the Chipotle Peppers, which is a shame. Overpowering and one-dimensional, the experience is finally ruined with a waxy, lard ridden smoky bacon feel in the back end.

Mouthfeel: Starts OK, middles average, and slowly finishes with unsettling thick lard-like constitution that coats the inner cheeks with a smoky bacon flavored fat-like residue. Not very nice at all.

Drinkability: I managed the Bomber, but only just, I did struggle with it. I found the smokiness to be too overpowering in this brew to be honest, I expected more from the Chipotle Peppers, a more refined balanced brew, what I got was a smoked beer which was a tad sickly in the long run.

Overall: Tastes like a ‘run-of-the-mill’ smoked beer to me, and a rather unbalanced one at that. Sadly, only the merest hint of Chipotle Pepper in the back end here. I love spicy food and peppers, but I’m glad I only got one of these. More Smoked than Chipotle, which was a disappointment, nevertheless it’s not a bad brew….it’s just not for me though. (1,933 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -28.3%

This brew is a clear amber color with a thick and creamy off-white head that recedes slowly. Thin rings of lacing on the glass. Smokey aroma with prominent peppers and light hops. Medium-bodied with flavors of spicy pepper, sweet malt and citrus hops. The finish is spicy with a fresh pepper aftertaste. Maybe I am still gunshy years after my Cave Creek experience but I really want nothing to do with these types of beers. (423 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -26.1%

22 oz bottle poured into a pub glass. A tall initial head that recedes quickly. Not much lacing left. Color is a clear, dark redding brown. Minimum carbonation activity.

Smell is a little weak, though it leans towards a chocolate malt aroma. A bit of hops and pepper mingles. Taste is pretty confusing. It starts off with a smoked/chocolate malt then moves to Cascade hops and then finishes with a chile pepper after taste. Really all over the place. Mouthfeel is light bodied and a tad creamy. The carbonation stings a bit, but that may have been enhanced by the pepper.

Over all I'm not that impressed bt the style. (620 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. A nice head forms on the top of a slightly cloudy, orange/red beer with nice tiny bubbles jumping from the bottom to the top.

Everything about this beer is unusual and different. The smell is of yeast and fruity hops but there is an overwhelming presence of smoky mothballs, if that is possible. If someone where to put a couple of mothballs in a bag near a campfire overnight, put them in the beer, and bottle it, I think this would be the result.

The taste is the most unusual and different of all aspects in this beer. Tastes very campfirey. Brings to mind days in Colorado camping out and waking up the next morning with the campfire still smoldering. A stale, smoky aroma was in the air and that is the way this beer tastes. Barel detectable are peppers. Nice hop and malt balance though. Seems a bit bitter at first taste but mellows in bitterness during consumption.

A very astringent mouthfeel makes this beer tough to finish. Overall, very unimpressed. Definitely needs more pepper or jalapeno flavor and maybe more malts to balance out that spicy pepper flavor. (1,138 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -25%

This is a wierd brew. The beer poured with little head and it is the color of sweet tea. The smell is not too bad, similar to a light beer with some spices. The taste is hard to describe. It starts out as a dull spiced taste. Then it turns into a lasting bittersweetness with small hints of peppers. The mouthfeel is not too bad. There is no harshness, just the weird lingering aftertaste. This is not a beer I would try again. Probably not too bad when reveiwed within the style but I don't think I will try this style again either. (533 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -24.7%

The appearance is a hazy autumn bronze with minimal head. The smell is very subtle, a hint of malts and not much else to speak of in the nose category.

It has a crisp, malty flavor. Roasty. I only notice a chipotle trait after a few sips, deep in my chest. Quite warm inside, almost heartburn-like.

Average body and carbonation. This one is good at first, but too warm for the lack of intense flavor that I had expected. (427 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -24.4%

This beer pours amber with orange highlights and little head, no lacing. Smells quite smokey and roasted with a taste of well roasted peppers. To be honest I don't really like this. It is an odd flavor to me and I'm from Texas. It's not disgusting. I could still finish it, I just won't spend more money on another. (315 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -24.2%

It's rare that I don't care for a Rogue beer, but chile beer is far from a beer I can recommend. Maybe if drunk with a Mexican meal it would be complimentary but otherwise it's just unpleasant and funky. This beer was too acidic and the aftertaste was just plain rough. Not anything you would want to burp repetitively I can assure you. I think the adjuncts of chiles added to me feeling terrible the next day. It cannot be solely to blame due to my indiscretionary excess but it didn't help either. I might attempt this one again with Mexican cuisine but no time soon. (569 characters)

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales