Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
freduardo

04-29-2012 02:03:46 | More by Fufsackbandit
UA8

Washington

2.03/5  rDev -43.1%

A- Pours a nice amber color with a lackluster white head.

S- Very elusive on the nose, a touch of malts and yeast. WEird fake smokey scent as well.

T- Ugh I guess chili beers are not for me cause this tastes like a straight can of chewing tobacco with a cayenne backer.

D- I had to pour this down the drain first beer Ive ever done this with.

10-03-2008 01:13:38 | More by UA8
BeerBelcher

2.05/5  rDev -42.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured hazy amber with a normal/abundant amount of head, which formed in some large bubbles. Aroma is very malty, bready, and pleasant. Previously, I'd had another chile beer which turned me off from this category, so I was a bit reluctant to take a sip. Flavor was extremely malty on the nose, with a bit of spice on the back-end. Not great, but not awful. Although I love chiles, spicy food, and preparing and eating all the foods that go with that (salsa, guacamole, anything Mexican, spicy tomato sauces and so on, after these two experiments with chile beers, I think I'm not going to meddle with this category further in the future.

10-26-2006 01:57:38 | More by BeerBelcher
stegmakk

2.08/5  rDev -41.7%

Ugghhh...wretched...first beer from Rogue I don't like.
Looked a nice orange amber...no head what so ever...flat like
Smelled mostly like malt and some smoke...and tequilla
Taste...horrid...like tequilla and beer
mouthfeel...thin
drinkability...I actually poured this down the sink...

06-20-2003 18:12:32 | More by stegmakk
NolateM

Connecticut

2.1/5  rDev -41.2%

A few ounces from a bomber poured into a small wine glass. Just had a sample. Translucent amber color, not much head.

Smells and tastes like smokey peanuts. Seems like sweet malt is TRYING to break through, but being beaten down by a smokey hot-sauce flavor. Slightly bacony, slight sting in the back of the mouth. It's sort of like a rauchbier, with spice added to the smoke.

Average carbonation - not too low, not too high, pretty decent. Probably the only thing the beer had going for it.

Seriously undrinkable. I couldn't even finish a sample. I love Rogue, but there's no reason to buy this other than to go "dude, check out how weird this beer is" or maybe to use as a marinade for beef jerky. I guess it does technically deliver what it says it will deliver, but I just can't in good conscience give this a good review.

10-10-2007 05:12:12 | More by NolateM
BrownAleMale

Wisconsin

2.2/5  rDev -38.4%

Bomber bottle poured into a Kasteel goblet glass.

Appearance- The color of cherry 7up with basically 0 head.

Smell- Not getting to much here, just a lot of char.

Taste- Follows the nose. Taste like chard Smokey campfire wood. Some bread malt with no real hop finish at all.

Mouthfeel- Once again think 7up. It's so carbonated. I actually would think this is a lager if it didn't say ale right on the bottle.

Overall- Was underwhelmed all around. Taste of liquid smoke not chipolte at all. I absolutely love spicy peppers and food and this is neither spicy or good at all. Super disappointed!

09-19-2012 06:20:17 | More by BrownAleMale
washburnkid

2.2/5  rDev -38.4%

I can't be sure, but I think the nitro totally destroyed this beer. I'm always willing to give nitro a shot and thought this one would be interesting but nope, it was not interesting at all.

Two fingers of bubbly nitro head. Body is copper. Nothing much by way of aroma, which makes me sad. Seriously, there is nothing discernible here. Flavors are watery and reminiscent of plastic. What follows is heavy biscuit malts. The mouthfeel is flat and thin, and bitter residuals are left behind but nothing with great flavor. What the hell happened here? Where's the smokiness? Where are my chipotle flavors?? This is not what the doctor ordered. I'll be sure to try it again in a bottle and fix up my review if I need to...

Serving type: nitro-tap

05-26-2011 22:20:29 | More by washburnkid
rousee

2.2/5  rDev -38.4%

This is my first chile beer. It is probably a good example of the style but I don't care for it much. Amber red color. No head or carbonation. Some mild lacing on the sides of the glass. Up front, it smells and tastes like a nice malty ale but the chile aftertaste and finish is just too overwhelming. Its disappointing because it seems like it would be better if it was a little milder on the chiles. I had to try this novelty beer. I will not buy another one.

11-09-2005 22:34:20 | More by rousee
buschbeer

2.23/5  rDev -37.5%

650ml bottle
Served in a conical pint glass

A - It pours amber in color and is capped with a couple of inches of off white head.

S - Initially, all I got was a sweet mess. Eventually, my nose detected some fresh pepper. It just has an overtly sweet smell to it.

T - There is more pepper in the taste. It starts out with a honey sweetness and then the pepper rushes in. The pepper taste is not to my liking. I don't know how to describe it. It is just not good.

M - Pretty thin

O - I love spicy food. I do not love this spicy beer. There are too extremes, spicy and sweet, battling it out and my tastebuds are losing. I would not recommend.

03-31-2012 01:33:38 | More by buschbeer
Bfleming1281

10-04-2012 21:32:31 | More by Bfleming1281
jneiswender

2.25/5  rDev -37%

Had this beer in a 4oz sample glass at the brewery as part of a sampler.

A-amber body with a nice white head

S-the pepper is definately evident but not the smoky scent I would have expected from a chipotle

T-chipotle flavor is there along with some malt

M-medium

D-Okay. I don't know why this one bummed me out so much. I didn't really feel any heat from this. I also expected alot more smoke flavor and scent.

08-06-2009 21:31:41 | More by jneiswender
kimcgolf

Georgia

2.25/5  rDev -37%

I love peppers, and I love beer. I even love eating peppers while I’m drinking beer. But a beer whose primary (almost sole) noticeable ingredient IS peppers? No thanks. Rogue makes many good beers, and I’ve enjoyed most of them, but I’ll pass on this one.

11-26-2006 22:24:13 | More by kimcgolf