Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros

Circleo12, Nov 12, 2012

jk3, Feb 28, 2012

michaelfcasey, Aug 31, 2014

Merkur, Nov 22, 2011

kelvarnsen, Nov 30, 2011

Too smoky overall but has a watery finish.

hotsudge, Sep 15, 2014

Fufsackbandit, Apr 29, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -43.1%

A- Pours a nice amber color with a lackluster white head.

S- Very elusive on the nose, a touch of malts and yeast. WEird fake smokey scent as well.

T- Ugh I guess chili beers are not for me cause this tastes like a straight can of chewing tobacco with a cayenne backer.

D- I had to pour this down the drain first beer Ive ever done this with.

UA8, Oct 03, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -42.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured hazy amber with a normal/abundant amount of head, which formed in some large bubbles. Aroma is very malty, bready, and pleasant. Previously, I'd had another chile beer which turned me off from this category, so I was a bit reluctant to take a sip. Flavor was extremely malty on the nose, with a bit of spice on the back-end. Not great, but not awful. Although I love chiles, spicy food, and preparing and eating all the foods that go with that (salsa, guacamole, anything Mexican, spicy tomato sauces and so on, after these two experiments with chile beers, I think I'm not going to meddle with this category further in the future.

BeerBelcher, Oct 26, 2006
2.08/5  rDev -41.7%

Ugghhh...wretched...first beer from Rogue I don't like.
Looked a nice orange amber...no head what so ever...flat like
Smelled mostly like malt and some smoke...and tequilla
Taste...horrid...like tequilla and beer
mouthfeel...thin
drinkability...I actually poured this down the sink...

stegmakk, Jun 20, 2003
2.1/5  rDev -41.2%

A few ounces from a bomber poured into a small wine glass. Just had a sample. Translucent amber color, not much head.

Smells and tastes like smokey peanuts. Seems like sweet malt is TRYING to break through, but being beaten down by a smokey hot-sauce flavor. Slightly bacony, slight sting in the back of the mouth. It's sort of like a rauchbier, with spice added to the smoke.

Average carbonation - not too low, not too high, pretty decent. Probably the only thing the beer had going for it.

Seriously undrinkable. I couldn't even finish a sample. I love Rogue, but there's no reason to buy this other than to go "dude, check out how weird this beer is" or maybe to use as a marinade for beef jerky. I guess it does technically deliver what it says it will deliver, but I just can't in good conscience give this a good review.

NolateM, Oct 10, 2007
2.2/5  rDev -38.4%

Bomber bottle poured into a Kasteel goblet glass.

Appearance- The color of cherry 7up with basically 0 head.

Smell- Not getting to much here, just a lot of char.

Taste- Follows the nose. Taste like chard Smokey campfire wood. Some bread malt with no real hop finish at all.

Mouthfeel- Once again think 7up. It's so carbonated. I actually would think this is a lager if it didn't say ale right on the bottle.

Overall- Was underwhelmed all around. Taste of liquid smoke not chipolte at all. I absolutely love spicy peppers and food and this is neither spicy or good at all. Super disappointed!

BrownAleMale, Sep 19, 2012
2.2/5  rDev -38.4%

I can't be sure, but I think the nitro totally destroyed this beer. I'm always willing to give nitro a shot and thought this one would be interesting but nope, it was not interesting at all.

Two fingers of bubbly nitro head. Body is copper. Nothing much by way of aroma, which makes me sad. Seriously, there is nothing discernible here. Flavors are watery and reminiscent of plastic. What follows is heavy biscuit malts. The mouthfeel is flat and thin, and bitter residuals are left behind but nothing with great flavor. What the hell happened here? Where's the smokiness? Where are my chipotle flavors?? This is not what the doctor ordered. I'll be sure to try it again in a bottle and fix up my review if I need to...

washburnkid, May 26, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -38.4%

This is my first chile beer. It is probably a good example of the style but I don't care for it much. Amber red color. No head or carbonation. Some mild lacing on the sides of the glass. Up front, it smells and tastes like a nice malty ale but the chile aftertaste and finish is just too overwhelming. Its disappointing because it seems like it would be better if it was a little milder on the chiles. I had to try this novelty beer. I will not buy another one.

rousee, Nov 09, 2005
2.23/5  rDev -37.5%

650ml bottle
Served in a conical pint glass

A - It pours amber in color and is capped with a couple of inches of off white head.

S - Initially, all I got was a sweet mess. Eventually, my nose detected some fresh pepper. It just has an overtly sweet smell to it.

T - There is more pepper in the taste. It starts out with a honey sweetness and then the pepper rushes in. The pepper taste is not to my liking. I don't know how to describe it. It is just not good.

M - Pretty thin

O - I love spicy food. I do not love this spicy beer. There are too extremes, spicy and sweet, battling it out and my tastebuds are losing. I would not recommend.

buschbeer, Mar 31, 2012

Bfleming1281, Oct 04, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -37%

Had this beer in a 4oz sample glass at the brewery as part of a sampler.

A-amber body with a nice white head

S-the pepper is definately evident but not the smoky scent I would have expected from a chipotle

T-chipotle flavor is there along with some malt

M-medium

D-Okay. I don't know why this one bummed me out so much. I didn't really feel any heat from this. I also expected alot more smoke flavor and scent.

jneiswender, Aug 06, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -37%

I love peppers, and I love beer. I even love eating peppers while I’m drinking beer. But a beer whose primary (almost sole) noticeable ingredient IS peppers? No thanks. Rogue makes many good beers, and I’ve enjoyed most of them, but I’ll pass on this one.

kimcgolf, Nov 26, 2006

2.28/5  rDev -36.1%

Basoos1, Sep 13, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -35.6%

A- Nice Amber color

S- I did not notice any chipotle smell after pouring although it had did have a pleasant aroma.

T- I agree that the taste is similar to a mild amber ale upfront. Definately felt some heat in the finish, which was nice and not too overpowering.

M- good mouthfeel

D- I am glad I tried it, but I don't think I will buy it again. I like spicy foods, but not a big fan of spicy beers.

travpard, Oct 26, 2007
2.3/5  rDev -35.6%

A - Poured a light copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing

S - Isn't too good its of smoke and pepper

T - Things don't really get any better in this department more smokey peppers

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation

D - I don't think I can drink the rest of this pint its just not drinkable to me I'd say avoid this beer

armock, Jun 27, 2008