Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
UA8

Washington

2.03/5  rDev -43.1%

A- Pours a nice amber color with a lackluster white head.

S- Very elusive on the nose, a touch of malts and yeast. WEird fake smokey scent as well.

T- Ugh I guess chili beers are not for me cause this tastes like a straight can of chewing tobacco with a cayenne backer.

D- I had to pour this down the drain first beer Ive ever done this with.

10-03-2008 01:13:38 | More by UA8
BeerBelcher

2.05/5  rDev -42.6%

Poured hazy amber with a normal/abundant amount of head, which formed in some large bubbles. Aroma is very malty, bready, and pleasant. Previously, I'd had another chile beer which turned me off from this category, so I was a bit reluctant to take a sip. Flavor was extremely malty on the nose, with a bit of spice on the back-end. Not great, but not awful. Although I love chiles, spicy food, and preparing and eating all the foods that go with that (salsa, guacamole, anything Mexican, spicy tomato sauces and so on, after these two experiments with chile beers, I think I'm not going to meddle with this category further in the future.

10-26-2006 01:57:38 | More by BeerBelcher
stegmakk

2.08/5  rDev -41.7%

Ugghhh...wretched...first beer from Rogue I don't like.
Looked a nice orange amber...no head what so ever...flat like
Smelled mostly like malt and some smoke...and tequilla
Taste...horrid...like tequilla and beer
mouthfeel...thin
drinkability...I actually poured this down the sink...

06-20-2003 18:12:32 | More by stegmakk
NolateM

Connecticut

2.1/5  rDev -41.2%

A few ounces from a bomber poured into a small wine glass. Just had a sample. Translucent amber color, not much head.

Smells and tastes like smokey peanuts. Seems like sweet malt is TRYING to break through, but being beaten down by a smokey hot-sauce flavor. Slightly bacony, slight sting in the back of the mouth. It's sort of like a rauchbier, with spice added to the smoke.

Average carbonation - not too low, not too high, pretty decent. Probably the only thing the beer had going for it.

Seriously undrinkable. I couldn't even finish a sample. I love Rogue, but there's no reason to buy this other than to go "dude, check out how weird this beer is" or maybe to use as a marinade for beef jerky. I guess it does technically deliver what it says it will deliver, but I just can't in good conscience give this a good review.

10-10-2007 05:12:12 | More by NolateM
BrownAleMale

Wisconsin

2.2/5  rDev -38.4%

Bomber bottle poured into a Kasteel goblet glass.

Appearance- The color of cherry 7up with basically 0 head.

Smell- Not getting to much here, just a lot of char.

Taste- Follows the nose. Taste like chard Smokey campfire wood. Some bread malt with no real hop finish at all.

Mouthfeel- Once again think 7up. It's so carbonated. I actually would think this is a lager if it didn't say ale right on the bottle.

Overall- Was underwhelmed all around. Taste of liquid smoke not chipolte at all. I absolutely love spicy peppers and food and this is neither spicy or good at all. Super disappointed!

09-19-2012 06:20:17 | More by BrownAleMale
washburnkid

2.2/5  rDev -38.4%

I can't be sure, but I think the nitro totally destroyed this beer. I'm always willing to give nitro a shot and thought this one would be interesting but nope, it was not interesting at all.

Two fingers of bubbly nitro head. Body is copper. Nothing much by way of aroma, which makes me sad. Seriously, there is nothing discernible here. Flavors are watery and reminiscent of plastic. What follows is heavy biscuit malts. The mouthfeel is flat and thin, and bitter residuals are left behind but nothing with great flavor. What the hell happened here? Where's the smokiness? Where are my chipotle flavors?? This is not what the doctor ordered. I'll be sure to try it again in a bottle and fix up my review if I need to...

05-26-2011 22:20:29 | More by washburnkid
rousee

2.2/5  rDev -38.4%

This is my first chile beer. It is probably a good example of the style but I don't care for it much. Amber red color. No head or carbonation. Some mild lacing on the sides of the glass. Up front, it smells and tastes like a nice malty ale but the chile aftertaste and finish is just too overwhelming. Its disappointing because it seems like it would be better if it was a little milder on the chiles. I had to try this novelty beer. I will not buy another one.

11-09-2005 22:34:20 | More by rousee
buschbeer

2.23/5  rDev -37.5%

650ml bottle
Served in a conical pint glass

A - It pours amber in color and is capped with a couple of inches of off white head.

S - Initially, all I got was a sweet mess. Eventually, my nose detected some fresh pepper. It just has an overtly sweet smell to it.

T - There is more pepper in the taste. It starts out with a honey sweetness and then the pepper rushes in. The pepper taste is not to my liking. I don't know how to describe it. It is just not good.

M - Pretty thin

O - I love spicy food. I do not love this spicy beer. There are too extremes, spicy and sweet, battling it out and my tastebuds are losing. I would not recommend.

03-31-2012 01:33:38 | More by buschbeer
Bfleming1281

10-04-2012 21:32:31 | More by Bfleming1281
jneiswender

2.25/5  rDev -37%

Had this beer in a 4oz sample glass at the brewery as part of a sampler.

A-amber body with a nice white head

S-the pepper is definately evident but not the smoky scent I would have expected from a chipotle

T-chipotle flavor is there along with some malt

M-medium

D-Okay. I don't know why this one bummed me out so much. I didn't really feel any heat from this. I also expected alot more smoke flavor and scent.

08-06-2009 21:31:41 | More by jneiswender
kimcgolf

Georgia

2.25/5  rDev -37%

I love peppers, and I love beer. I even love eating peppers while I’m drinking beer. But a beer whose primary (almost sole) noticeable ingredient IS peppers? No thanks. Rogue makes many good beers, and I’ve enjoyed most of them, but I’ll pass on this one.

11-26-2006 22:24:13 | More by kimcgolf

12-25-2012 05:42:51 | More by imthaschmidt
travpard

2.3/5  rDev -35.6%

A- Nice Amber color

S- I did not notice any chipotle smell after pouring although it had did have a pleasant aroma.

T- I agree that the taste is similar to a mild amber ale upfront. Definately felt some heat in the finish, which was nice and not too overpowering.

M- good mouthfeel

D- I am glad I tried it, but I don't think I will buy it again. I like spicy foods, but not a big fan of spicy beers.

10-26-2007 14:19:29 | More by travpard
armock

2.3/5  rDev -35.6%

A - Poured a light copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing

S - Isn't too good its of smoke and pepper

T - Things don't really get any better in this department more smokey peppers

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation

D - I don't think I can drink the rest of this pint its just not drinkable to me I'd say avoid this beer

06-27-2008 01:57:39 | More by armock
jcdiflorio

West Virginia

2.33/5  rDev -34.7%

Had a 22 oz. bottle of this beer,made with actual chipotle peppers. I had to try this beer.Poured into a pint glass.Nice amber color.beautiful fluffy white head.Had a smokey,very slight vineagar.spicey smell.
It tasted ok at first,but the aftertaste I didn't like, I felt like I was drinking it out of an old shoe.My friends also tasted it and didn't like it either. Maybe it would have tasted good with chips and salsa. This the only beer from Rogue I don't like.

09-18-2006 02:37:00 | More by jcdiflorio
DogFood11

2.35/5  rDev -34.2%

This offering poured into a chalice, formed a marginal head, loose carbonation, chilli smell is generic and something you'd find at chilli's. tobasco type smell.

Of course there is a spicy center to this brew and to be perfectly honest it has a nice sting. Needed. There is a vinegarish middle, sharp carbonation. Taco seasoning packages. Light watery mouthfeel. I've got to say this is the the offering from rogue where I go ....HUH?

I would never drink this as a daily. Weekly is out of the question, and yearly?....yeah maybe. Not for me fellas....I'm convinced this will sell well with certain demo's but it misses me alltogether.

04-22-2006 06:33:37 | More by DogFood11
shanem

Vermont

2.35/5  rDev -34.2%

A: copper with pretty good sized head

S: a little smokey and spicy with a bit of hop aroma

T: didn't work for me. I was really curious about this when I saw it but felt the smokey chipotle pepper was a little too overpowering to have a 22 on your own

M: average for an almost reddish ale

D:just too much heat. I love good spicy food and hoped this would be a great combination but it just seemed a little too one dimensional to me

I would say it's an interesting beer to try, but best to have a few friends around to taste with you as I couldn't do a whole 22 by myself

03-11-2009 04:37:58 | More by shanem
RoyalT

2.38/5  rDev -33.3%

Appearance – This one is clear brown in color with no head. It looks like a flat Marzen.

Smell – The light, weak malt nose is no match for the strong chile aroma. NassT.

Taste – I found some peaty notes that seem to say that these chiles were roasted on an open grill. It actually does taste a bit like chipotle, but in a bad sort of way.

Mouthfeel – This one is a bit bigger than light-bodied and flat. The aftertaste had me gagging.

Sinkability – Ay, caramba! Estos cervesa es muy malo.

10-15-2004 17:18:22 | More by RoyalT
jondeelee

2.38/5  rDev -33.3%

Chipotles and beer do not usually go together, except in the forms of spicy tacos and Corona. So it is with some suspicion and trepidation that I approach an ale made with chipotles. Even the first whiff lets me know the strength of the peppers, as the ale--with its expected odors of lightly toasted grains and malts--bears a strong smoky quality about the nose, reminiscent of a Rauchbier, but with more kick.

On the tongue, the chipotle flavor is front and center, dominating from the first moment to the last with its spicy smokiness. And make no mistake: there is a definite light burn to it, like watery Tabasco. On a good note, this is top-quality chipotle flavor, reminding me instantly of greasy cantinas in Mexico City where the chipotles are fire-roasted out back in rotating mesh drums--the kind of cantinas where you eat until it's simply impossible to stuff more food down your windpipe. On a bad note, the flavor is strong enough that the rest of the ale is largely left by the wayside, which is truly something, considering this ale has three kinds of malts and two varieties of hops.

Overall, then, while I do adore the flavors of chipotles in general, they're overly-represented here, and should have been equal partners, rather than the dominating boss demanding those TPS reports be delivered five minutes ago.

08-09-2011 02:23:22 | More by jondeelee
HopEnthusiast

2.4/5  rDev -32.8%

I had no idea what to expect upon buying this one. The aroma definitely has chipotle with the usual hops. Pours deep amber with a medium tan head. The taste is actually very mild. Hoppy and malty, the chipotle takes a back seat. You can taste it, but its not like that horrible. It wasn't to enjoyable.

03-06-2009 17:11:28 | More by HopEnthusiast
froghop

Washington

2.4/5  rDev -32.8%

pours a semi-hazy dark orange with a small dirty white head, and just a little lacing.

smell is of corn, grain, some pepper, a little chili powder in the back, and malt.

taste is of chipolte, corn, malt, and a touch of caramel, end has a strange aftertaste to it.

04-29-2010 03:27:44 | More by froghop
coreyfmcdonald

Georgia

22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a clear amber color with a finger of dense white head. Good retention.

S: Each time I sniff this beer, I get something different - really odd. It's like it has a bunch of different flavors (all fairly mild), but they aren't melded together. It's like smelling several different beers all at once. I get bready malts, a bit of smoke, a bit of piney hops, and a bit of malted milk balls. In the background, I also get a bit of spice.

T: Equally as odd. The beer starts out with bready malts andy a bit of toffee behind that. After that I get some oxidation notes with a piney hop and slight smoke finish. Again, the flavors seem independent of each other and really do not meld together. The beer is also quite dry to the point it's a bit unpleasant. The aftertaste has a bit of spice burn.

M: Very thin with medium to high carbonation.

O: Definitely an odd experience. There are a lot of things going on in this beer, but all very mild and the flavors do not meld well. I really don't like this beer very much. It need a thicker mouthfeel, more sweetness, and flavors that complement each other a bit better.

09-26-2012 02:04:48 | More by coreyfmcdonald