Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros

Too smoky overall but has a watery finish.

2.01/5  rDev -43.5%

A: Pours a nice light orangish/red color with a nice large tan foam head. There is a decent amount of lacing.

S: A decent amount of spicy peppers, jalapeno, chile, smoke and toast.

T: After smelling the beer, I expected something different. As somebody who enjoys a lot of spice, this did not have a good taste. It was ashy, like an ashtray. Lots of smoke dominate the beer.

M: Leaves a smokey taste on the palate, like charred wood.

D: Not my kind of beer...many like this beer, but for me, not one I enjoy.

2.06/5  rDev -42.1%

Whew! This is the first beer I've ever sent back! And the first Rogue that I have not only not enjoyed but rather detested!

Had this on tap at the brewery. Looked very nice, deep molases-amber. Not a lot of aroma to speak of. Too bad, as it may have portended some of the terrible fury that lay within.

As the beer hit my tounge, I was reminded of a Scottish that I had brewed that had become infected. Nothing but band-aid lickin' all the way (oh, an a smoked band-aid, if that helps).

I told the 'tender about the problem and that they might want to check this out. He poured a sample and told me that, no, this is just what it is supposed to taste like. Hmmm....

At least he let me get something else.

2.14/5  rDev -39.9%

Ugghhh...wretched...first beer from Rogue I don't like.
Looked a nice orange amber...no head what so ever...flat like
Smelled mostly like malt and some smoke...and tequilla
Taste...horrid...like tequilla and beer
mouthfeel...thin
drinkability...I actually poured this down the sink...

2.14/5  rDev -39.9%

A few ounces from a bomber poured into a small wine glass. Just had a sample. Translucent amber color, not much head.

Smells and tastes like smokey peanuts. Seems like sweet malt is TRYING to break through, but being beaten down by a smokey hot-sauce flavor. Slightly bacony, slight sting in the back of the mouth. It's sort of like a rauchbier, with spice added to the smoke.

Average carbonation - not too low, not too high, pretty decent. Probably the only thing the beer had going for it.

Seriously undrinkable. I couldn't even finish a sample. I love Rogue, but there's no reason to buy this other than to go "dude, check out how weird this beer is" or maybe to use as a marinade for beef jerky. I guess it does technically deliver what it says it will deliver, but I just can't in good conscience give this a good review.

2.15/5  rDev -39.6%

A- Pours a nice amber color with a lackluster white head.

S- Very elusive on the nose, a touch of malts and yeast. WEird fake smokey scent as well.

T- Ugh I guess chili beers are not for me cause this tastes like a straight can of chewing tobacco with a cayenne backer.

D- I had to pour this down the drain first beer Ive ever done this with.

2.15/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured hazy amber with a normal/abundant amount of head, which formed in some large bubbles. Aroma is very malty, bready, and pleasant. Previously, I'd had another chile beer which turned me off from this category, so I was a bit reluctant to take a sip. Flavor was extremely malty on the nose, with a bit of spice on the back-end. Not great, but not awful. Although I love chiles, spicy food, and preparing and eating all the foods that go with that (salsa, guacamole, anything Mexican, spicy tomato sauces and so on, after these two experiments with chile beers, I think I'm not going to meddle with this category further in the future.

2.18/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Super spicy. Was not my cup I tea but taste is subjective. Me personaly I didn't care for it and will not purchase again

2.22/5  rDev -37.6%

I can't be sure, but I think the nitro totally destroyed this beer. I'm always willing to give nitro a shot and thought this one would be interesting but nope, it was not interesting at all.

Two fingers of bubbly nitro head. Body is copper. Nothing much by way of aroma, which makes me sad. Seriously, there is nothing discernible here. Flavors are watery and reminiscent of plastic. What follows is heavy biscuit malts. The mouthfeel is flat and thin, and bitter residuals are left behind but nothing with great flavor. What the hell happened here? Where's the smokiness? Where are my chipotle flavors?? This is not what the doctor ordered. I'll be sure to try it again in a bottle and fix up my review if I need to...

2.23/5  rDev -37.4%

Bomber bottle poured into a Kasteel goblet glass.

Appearance- The color of cherry 7up with basically 0 head.

Smell- Not getting to much here, just a lot of char.

Taste- Follows the nose. Taste like chard Smokey campfire wood. Some bread malt with no real hop finish at all.

Mouthfeel- Once again think 7up. It's so carbonated. I actually would think this is a lager if it didn't say ale right on the bottle.

Overall- Was underwhelmed all around. Taste of liquid smoke not chipolte at all. I absolutely love spicy peppers and food and this is neither spicy or good at all. Super disappointed!

2.26/5  rDev -36.5%

650ml bottle
Served in a conical pint glass

A - It pours amber in color and is capped with a couple of inches of off white head.

S - Initially, all I got was a sweet mess. Eventually, my nose detected some fresh pepper. It just has an overtly sweet smell to it.

T - There is more pepper in the taste. It starts out with a honey sweetness and then the pepper rushes in. The pepper taste is not to my liking. I don't know how to describe it. It is just not good.

M - Pretty thin

O - I love spicy food. I do not love this spicy beer. There are too extremes, spicy and sweet, battling it out and my tastebuds are losing. I would not recommend.

2.27/5  rDev -36.2%

Had this beer in a 4oz sample glass at the brewery as part of a sampler.

A-amber body with a nice white head

S-the pepper is definately evident but not the smoky scent I would have expected from a chipotle

T-chipotle flavor is there along with some malt

M-medium

D-Okay. I don't know why this one bummed me out so much. I didn't really feel any heat from this. I also expected alot more smoke flavor and scent.

2.28/5  rDev -36%

I love peppers, and I love beer. I even love eating peppers while I’m drinking beer. But a beer whose primary (almost sole) noticeable ingredient IS peppers? No thanks. Rogue makes many good beers, and I’ve enjoyed most of them, but I’ll pass on this one.

2.28/5  rDev -36%

This is my first chile beer. It is probably a good example of the style but I don't care for it much. Amber red color. No head or carbonation. Some mild lacing on the sides of the glass. Up front, it smells and tastes like a nice malty ale but the chile aftertaste and finish is just too overwhelming. Its disappointing because it seems like it would be better if it was a little milder on the chiles. I had to try this novelty beer. I will not buy another one.

2.29/5  rDev -35.7%

After having a fresh chili pepper porter from 3rd Wave and falling in love, maybe I'm biased. This beer did not live up to the hype for me. Lacking pepper flavor all together.

2.31/5  rDev -35.1%

A - Poured a light copper color with an off white head that leaves lacing

S - Isn't too good its of smoke and pepper

T - Things don't really get any better in this department more smokey peppers

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation

D - I don't think I can drink the rest of this pint its just not drinkable to me I'd say avoid this beer

2.35/5  rDev -34%

This offering poured into a chalice, formed a marginal head, loose carbonation, chilli smell is generic and something you'd find at chilli's. tobasco type smell.

Of course there is a spicy center to this brew and to be perfectly honest it has a nice sting. Needed. There is a vinegarish middle, sharp carbonation. Taco seasoning packages. Light watery mouthfeel. I've got to say this is the the offering from rogue where I go ....HUH?

I would never drink this as a daily. Weekly is out of the question, and yearly?....yeah maybe. Not for me fellas....I'm convinced this will sell well with certain demo's but it misses me alltogether.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales