Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros

Pours an amber color with a copper hue, little to no head, and the carbonation appears limited.

Sweet toasted malt aroma with resin orange hops and hints of vanilla and pepper in the background.

The taste has a sweet acidic flavor with roasted malt and resin grapefruit/orange hops.

The mouthfeel is smooth with a medium body, dry slightly syrupy texture, soft and lively carbonation, and a metalic/chalky finish.

The pepper flavor along with the chalky finish limits the drinkability.

Troyone, Apr 29, 2005
3.33/5  rDev -6.7%

Well, the seedless chipotle is certainly the star of the show as my very first sip was simply, "Wow...spicy beer!"

This deep copper brew sports a tight tan finger of foam and a dry, earthy nose which requires a wee bit of coaxing. Carbonation is adequate without being prickly and the peppers really hold off to the finish...a welcome relief.

Entry is quite unremarkable and seemingly like an ESB with soft earthy malts flowing over the tongue. Mid-taste has decent body and an inherant sweetness ushering in the inevitable finish.

Ahhh...the finish! The peppers build slowly with a solid backing of almond-like smokiness toward a crescendo of throat drying chipotle goodness. The brewers came as close to 'over the top' as possible without actually losing control of the taste here as each sip begets another.

All-in-all a nice one-off beer, but nothing I could do for a session...but I sure wish I had some more almonds...

IceAce, Apr 27, 2005
3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

This beer pours into the pint glass a dark orange with a big bubble head that drops down to a 1/8 inch top. Smell is smoky, similar to the Rogue Smoke Ale, but milder. Some malt and hops struggles through. Taste is smoky with a mild heat. This beer could use just a touch more heat, though my wife thought it was too hot. Results vary by palate, eh? The smokiness was assertive but, again, not as strong as in the Smoke Ale. Mouthfeel is medium with the smokiness and heat providing the body. There are some hops noted in the end. This is a quaffable brew, demanding some hearty food to accompany it. I'll have this on hand for barbecues this summer.

pentathlete, Apr 24, 2005
4.55/5  rDev +27.5%

I wasn't sure what to except of this beer since the last chile beer I had was Crazy Ed's and I didn't care for that one bit. Based on the BA rating and knowing that it's a Rogue Ale I knew I wouldn't be let down. It pours a cloudy brown color with little head. For some reason I was excepting a strong chile smell, but it is quite mild as it that of brown ale. With the mouthfeel you have a nice sense of carbonation and is smooth. The taste is similar to a brown ale, but has hint of another flavor I just can't pinpoint. Even for people that don't like the idea of chile in beer should give this at try, I was pleasantly surprised and can easily drink several of these. Two thumbs up on this one.

DrainBamage, Apr 24, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

Glowing amber orange with a creamy orange-tinged head with good lacing. I can’t believe the difference in color between this and the Golden is only the chipotles! It’s way to rich in color! Sweet malt with lots of smokiness. Close to a rauchbier in character with “something else” going on. Clean tasting beer, good malt presence, definite chipotle flavor. There is no mistaking this for a rauchbier. Slight spicy tingle builds after a few sips. Smokey aftertaste with lingering bitterness. Tasty brew. I wouldn’t go they *obvious* approach and pair this with a spicy dish, but this would be a nice compliment to simply prepared chicken or an assortment of mild cheeses.

yen157, Apr 18, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours out a copper color. Head ends up pretty thin. Can definitely pick up the chipotles in the aroma. Taste is quite smokey and peppery. Has some hops but not as much as other Rogues. Maybe that's what is missing, I think this beer would go well with a lot of foods, especially with American summertime cuisine. Right now my tastebuds are looking for something to pair it with...feels a little bit oily in my mouth. Perhaps I may revisit this one when I can eat something with it.

Star80, Apr 17, 2005
3.75/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a clear amber color with a small light tan head. Decent lace. Light smoky smell to it and a solid malt backbone to help it out. Pretty simple nose to it but it gets the jobs done. Taste was quite malty with sweet caramel standing out and a solid smokiness throughout the flavor. A tad spicy from the hops or the peppers. Nice, simple and very clean. A little more kick would have done it good. Mouthfeel is about medium and the goes down quite easy. Very drinkable stuff. Even more so with a meal. I enjoyed it.

meathookjones, Apr 13, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -17.9%

The beer pours a nice red color, no real head to speak of. Not bad. The nose is disappointing. Some malt aroma, no hops, no pepper smell. I expected more, from Rogue and from the billing on the bottle.

The taste is SMOKEY. They call it subtle, but it ain't. No spice really, just smoke. Not what I was expecting. I wanted to get some pepper out of it, but it just wasn't really there. Felt good in the mouth, slight burn that was reminicent of pepper.

I dont think I will have another one of these. I admit I am not always a fan of smoke beers, but I love my peppers. I was disappointed.

TheJudge, Apr 12, 2005
3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

I like hot chiles, I could use a six pack of this over the winter. There is taste there, however one-dimensional chiles with a smoke offering. Had again seven months later, and similarly liked the strong taste. Perhaps I am a contrarian, but I also like Canadian garlic beer.

Sammy, Apr 06, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Not bad... Not as good as I had hoped it to be, but not nearly as bad as I expected it to be. The appearance of this beer is quite beautiful. It has a deep amber color with golden highlights. A perfectly composed and sized white head that eventually recedes to a ring. The smell picks up a bit on the smoked chipotle peppers on top of the slightly roasted malts. The taste is dominated by the smokey flavor from the chipotle, but it is not disgustingly strong like I find many smoked beers to be (such as the Rogue Smoke Ale). I was a little bit disappointed that there wasn't more of a sweet BBQ type of flavor in the back or even the spiciness. Perhaps one day, if I am ever feeling adventurous (and if it is available) I will have to try the Cave Creek if it is the flavor and spiciness of the peppers that I crave. Worth a drink... don't be scared to take the plunge. I know I was (chili beer?!) even though I tend to drink every beer with an open mind and palate.

neonbrown82, Mar 31, 2005
3.75/5  rDev +5%

Draft at the Barcade in NY during our 3/19/05 crawl!
Was told it was tapped the night before. Deep and amber, clear, with a dusting of faint white head. Can’t smell anything really, just slight maltiness, very clean. -(and there was not a bit of smoke in the air). Smooth with a touch of carbonation, but you barely feel it -nice. Deep and malty, burnt toast. Bit of lingering caramelly sweetness. There is just a touch of a tingle to your tongue, but no heat at all. I was hoping to get a bit of it- I knew not to expect a CaveCreek or anything, but still thought I would catch more than there is. And since this was still freshly tapped, I assume this is what the heat is supposed to be at. A lot of flavor is left in your mouth. Decently drinkable with nice flavors, but I was still hoping to get a bit of a punch -or at least a nudge from this one.

shapudding, Mar 20, 2005

Amber in color, with a small ring of off-white bubbles. Clean, crisp, and slightly hoppy aroma similar to a pale ale, with a hint of smoked pepper.

The taste is more of the same, and better than I expected. More smooth, smoky pepper with a palate-cleansing finish of hops. Very enjoyable and unique...

Now, to try the Mole Black & Tan with a Rogue Chocolate Stout....mmm...that's ridiculously tasty.

RockyTopHeel, Mar 01, 2005
2.53/5  rDev -29.1%

Eight ingredients: Great western Harrington, Klagos & Maier Munich Malts, Cascade & Willamette, Smoked Chipotle peppers, H2O & Pac Man yeast.

Dim cloudy peach hues containing small particles floating around, leaving a thin beige halo collar easily aroused and then flattened with a swirl.

Aromatic scents of hard candy, a oerceivable latex lolipop malts meets a vegetal celery salt hint. (Maybe my imagination, but Cuervo might be in there.)

First swigs: Malt and a delicate smoked background. Reminiscent of a scotch ale. Halfway through, the pepper hot twinge perks up with lingering butery malt aftertaste followed by a throat warming pepper. Aftertaste of diacetyl? Maybe this bottle is oxygenized?

Overall, this was merely a delve into the curiosity corner. This was a bottle of Mexicali, actually. Now labeled as Chipotle. I'd like to re-try this at a later date, but the Mexicali might be past its prime. Buttery malty ale with a touch of tobasco.

blitheringidiot, Feb 24, 2005
3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

22oz bomber, bought on my trip to Vegas, and being eaten with cold, leftover Uno deep dish pizza (which is pretty good)

Pours a nice amber color like a good amber ale. Not much head to go around. Doesn't last long either but sticks a little bit.

Smell kind of reminds me of smoked beer with a touch of mexican food. Pretty good, and hopefully a good choice with this pizza.

The taste resembles a rauchbier that I once tried although not quite as smoky. Somewhat spicy but not overpowering. You still notice the hop bitterness at the end and I catch the malts in the aftertaste to let you remember this is beer.

The moderate carbonation combined with the spice make the mouthfeel a bit rougher than most, but not as much as you might think. The spice sticks on the back a bit.

I don't know how drinkable this would be as a session brew, but it would likely go with a good, spicy meal a helluva lot better than Corona.

DPMomutant, Nov 12, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +17.1%

i was hesitant to sample this style, but, seeing as i like damn near anything that is spicy and rogue brews a beer within this style, i figured i'd give it a whirl and i'm glad i did. it pours a nice copper/orange colour with minimal head but what is there is rather sticky. the smell is mainly your basic pale ale, i felt, with a nice balance between earth malt and sweet hop. there, of course, is a noticeable chile/pepper smell as well. the flavour is pretty much spot on, starting out somewhat dry amnd malty before hitting a touch of those sweet hops and then finishing with a spice kick that will hit you but not overpower you. it's mixed in toward the end just right and provides for a lovely tingly mothfeel that is well placed with the carbonation of the brew. while i can't say that this one would be for everyone, i certainly enjoyed it. at the very least, give it a try. it's most definitely a well crafted brew, even if it is different.

SixpointJMH, Oct 21, 2004
2.38/5  rDev -33.3%

Appearance – This one is clear brown in color with no head. It looks like a flat Marzen.

Smell – The light, weak malt nose is no match for the strong chile aroma. NassT.

Taste – I found some peaty notes that seem to say that these chiles were roasted on an open grill. It actually does taste a bit like chipotle, but in a bad sort of way.

Mouthfeel – This one is a bit bigger than light-bodied and flat. The aftertaste had me gagging.

Sinkability – Ay, caramba! Estos cervesa es muy malo.

RoyalT, Oct 15, 2004
3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into a Schell tulip from a 22oz. bomber. Color is of dark iced tea, with a small white bubbly head that melts down to a small island of foam in the middle of the beer. I had a bottle of rogue smoke ale last week and it smells about the same, smoke. Taste is definitely of smoke for most of the sip, but leaves a chipotle tang at the end. Not anything I would call spicy (I use Tabasco at least 2 meals a day). Much better than Rogue's Smoke Ale, but nothing I would get ever again. Worth a try, though.

TastyTaste, Oct 09, 2004
3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Burned the devil with this one on 7/22/2004. 16-oz. pour at Redbones in a shaker glass.

Hue was amber to a slight vermilion. Little head to speak of; just a faint skein. Peppery spiciness accentuated by a grotto-like outer roundness to the whole nose gay. Not sure which hot peppers were used in this – chipolte, cascabel, California hybrid, Anaheim, jalapeno, pequin, or serrano – but whatever they were, they fired right through my lips, leaving a scalding trail up my tongue, through the roof of my mouth and up into my skull. And I loved it. There also seemed to be a slight cream edge, like baker’s chocolate. The spice didn’t really catch fire until five or six seconds after each swallow. I was happy that the only other thing I was eating at Redbones on this visit was water, and not their barbecue, because I think that would have been sheer overkill. Overall, this is a medium-bodied offering and one that I would choose to have more than one of if my tongue would allow it. I truly enjoyed this unusual pour, and in the end, it packed no more heat than a few drops of Tabasco.

Truh, Sep 25, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Almost clear copper color with a fat collar of white foam. Nose was a balanced combination of sweetness and roasted peppers, with smoky chipotle as well. Taste, too, was oily roasted peppers and a drawn out smokiness. Really grew on me as I drank it, and I would definitely order it again. Good stuff.

Had on-tap at the Rogue Public House in San Fran, where Larry told me it makes a great chaser for tequila ;)

donnebaby, Sep 14, 2004
3.18/5  rDev -10.9%

Clearish darker amber appearance, head settles to a skim in about 40 seconds. Laces in very fine strings on the side of the glass. Aroma is relatively subtle, smokey with a rustic rye bread maltiness, prickly and spicy. Medium mouthfeel overall, but with a mask of fullness. Pepper is certainly apparent in the flavor profile, and early -- generates heat by the third sip. Hops play in tune with the spiciness, there's an onion skin bittering in the aftertaste. Chile beers are one of the few that I rarely have a favorite in, but there is a better sense of sweet malt balance here than in many. I still have trouble finishing a whole bomber of this one, though. Intriguing aroma.

ADR, Aug 15, 2004
3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

Presentation: 22 oz. Bomber - love their designs.

Appearance - Poured thick slightly yellowish head with big, squirmy bubbles. dissipates to thin film after a few minutes. Deep red, slightly brownish translucent hue. Really nice color.

Smell - decent malty pale ale aroma. very much like an average Pale Ale actually.

Mouthfeel - light/medium bodied beer. perhaps a little oily after awhile (possibly because of the pepper) but nothing offensive.

Taste - good carbonation up front, slight chipotle spiciness already. good hoppy/chili spice up front. Balanced moderate malty sweetness and slight aromatic, but hardly bitter hopiness at the back of the mouth. Then the chipotle really takes over leaving a decently hot/spicy taste all over the mouth and lips. A little bit of the sweetness lingers as well, feeling a bit odd with the chipotle. Hint of bitterness also lingers at the back of the mouth. Interesting combination. Suprisingly well balanced chipolte hotness with an otherwise average ale taste.

Definitely drinkable, but don't expect a refreshing cold one or anything.

dmbfrat420beers, Jul 14, 2004
3.35/5  rDev -6.2%

Served in the 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. The color is amber, with a layer of bubbly white head. The smell is malty with a very slight pepper spiciness in it. The taste starts with the pale ale-ish malt and then a very strong medium Scoville pepper burn hits, and leaves a bit of a numbness in the mouth. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, this is one that's tough to finish the pint, much less have another.

Usually, I drink beer to quell a spice burning, not to bring one on. In moderation, this is a unique and interesting beer. However, this really doesn't have much sessionability due to the heavy pepper spice. Still, one glass is interesting, and I'm glad that Rogue took the chance on the experiment, and I'd probably have a glass again.

beergeek279, Jul 13, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

how did this find its way to vegas? owell. i admit it didnt sound all that tastey, some dude described it heart burn in a bottle...but i couldnt not try it. bought a bomber and brought it home to see someone had gone to baja fresh and had tons of left over chips and salsa. seems like a good pairing. this poured out a clear reddish/copper with a nice bubbly white head. the aroma is nothing intense, a pleasant light mixture of smoke, peppers and malt. upon first taste, i thought...its alright. but then i took another and another and so on, and it got alot better. light smokiness matched up with a lightly sweet malt, the pepper taste is def. there, and it gets more and more noticable as you continue drinking. the heat builds up, but never to a point where it isnt enjoyable. crisp and lively in the mouth, this is a cool beer. went great with chips and salsa. this get a brujeria tribute for being different, and tastey.

DESTRO, Jun 01, 2004
3.65/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a chill-hazed golden amber in color with an off-white fluffy head that eventually settles to a consistent surface covering. Aroma is light with some sweetness combined with (really light) hints of smoke and chilies (chipotles!). Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth and medium-bodied. Some fruitiness upfront that merges with a nice malty characteristic. Midway through the influences of the chipotles can be detected, albeit lightly. Neither the smokiness nor use of chilies permeates the beer thoroughly, but its presence is subtle enough to be detected and steer the flavor of this golden ale into an intriguing direction.

Not as spectacular as other Rogue offerings but in the right time and place it has its moments. I enjoyed mine with spicy enchiladas and Mexicali Rogue was a fine companion to put out the flames from the chili sauce.

Winter, May 21, 2004
3.55/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hmmm, now this one is very interesting. Apparantly Rogue messed up a bit, as this bottle is not the same in design as the other 5 anniversary beers. Never-the-less, I also heard that this was the same as Mexicali Rogue, but i've never had that one yet, so here it goes. The pour is beautiful, a glowing reddish colour with a nice white head that lasts for a bit, and leaves a bit of lacing. The aroma is intriguing. Some strong malts, a touch of hops, some smoke, and a bit of peppery heat. The taste is where things really heat up. This brew is very malty and almost sweet up front, than the middle is smoky, and the finish is spicy/hot. The mouthfeel is good, but hot, and the drinkability would be better with some mexian food. Still, this is probably the best pepper beer out there. If a brewery can do it up right, Rogue is the one!

francisweizen, Apr 28, 2004