Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 693 | Hads: 1,374
3.89/5  rDev +8.1%

Had on tap.

Appearance was a slightly hazy light reddish brown.

Nose of smoke and pepper overpowered everything else. There was a little malt in there but it was behind the roasted peppers.

Smoke up front in the taste along with a little bit of jalapeno flavor. The heat comes in about midway through the taste and lingers through the finish. It is not an extreme heat but the more you drink the stronger it becomes. A nice malty backbone supports the smoke and peppers.

Overall, a very unique beer but it succeeds at what it is attempting. A tasty chili beer that remains balanced. (586 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +4.4%

Pretty meager 8oz pour on-tap at Winghearts. Amber/copper color with light haze. Rich head with impressive lacing. 4.0

Toasted malts, whiff of smoke, and a sweet grainy spice in the aroma. Not much else. 3.0

Crisp hoppiness in the taste with a dusty chile bite in the background. Very familiar with the Pacman Yeast flavor profile, and that musty fruit ester is here, too. Less spicy that I remember. Less smoky, too. Still a fine brew. 4.0

Medium-to-light body with a wetness that swigs and swishes around nicely. Not coating or dissipating. The carbonation is very mild. 4.0

One o'those 'thumbs-up' brews from Rogue. Give 'er a try. 4.0 (642 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Poured a small white head orange in color quickly dissipating coating

S: Smells like Jalepenos, Farm Fresh But just not enough else going on (hop/malt)

T: Tastes like a nice pale ale with some extra creamyness/pepper taster. Unique

M: Interesting, Sharp and Creamy

Overall: Pretty solid beer, unique for sure, I could use a little more to dig into taste is somewhat one sided (384 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

A: single finger head, little retention on a clear amber body.

S: fresh baked bread and lots of yeast with a mild chili note.

T: nice maltiness which fades to chile and chipotle but this one isn't hot. The spiciness is there but there is no burn or overwhelming chili aftertaste compared to others.

M: medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: I like how the chipotle adds to the taste and aroma but doesn't dominate either. Hands down the best chili beer I have had. Just the right amount of heat and chili flavor with nice malt balance. (547 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +20.8%

A: cloudy rust orange body, finger white head,
great lacing

S: smoky chipotle peppers, earthy malt, hint of pine

T: mild lemon grass, pine, earthy malt,
low slow roasted/chipotle smoky bitter/spice

M: med body, smooth/semi-dry mouth

O: WOW! This beer surprised me. Grabbed it
celebrate Cinco de Mayo and mad I didn't
grab more for future Mexican food nights.

DELICIOUS, GRAB A BOTTLE! (392 characters)

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: Lots of chiles in the aroma, as you might expect, with some malt as well.

T: Not that it's any surprise, but the chiles took center stage, with a tinge of malt in the finish. This is the sort of flavor that I didn't like at first, but gradually grew on me. Not a complex taste, but good at what it does.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a crisp finish. Medium-bodied.

O: A solidly made beer - hard to do with this style - that's easy to drink. (606 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +11.9%

Growing numerous varieties of peppers this year, when I saw this on the shelf at my beer store I knew I had to have it.

A: Very nice golden amber color with 2 fingers worth of head that simmer down to a very nice veil of lace that sticks to the sides of the glass well and remains for most of the way down.

S: Excellent floral hops with alot of distinct earthy "garden" aromas. Reminds me of weeding in the garden and smelling all the various vegetable plants and soil smells. Also a deep malty sweetness. Very intriguing.

T: Wow. Such a surprise on the palette and senses. Sweetness of the malt at first that instantly gives way to an incredible smokey flavor from the chilis. Reminds me of bacon wrapped jalapenos without the heat. Makes way to some floral hoppyness and a medium bitterness. I can feel an ever slight amount of heat as well, its so strangely unique. After tastes consists of slight bitterness and a hint of grain/wheat.

M: Average carbonation works well with the hop level and the smokeyness. Leaves a crisp clean taste and moderate ABV isn't noticeable at all.

O: Crazy game that is played on the senses. Flavors that should be coming from food but instead are sipped and a mild heat make this a very unique beer. Not your usual beer style but def worth the price of the bottle and worth trying. (1,321 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +15.8%

On tap at Beer Revolutions.

Appearance- Pours a amber hue with a 1/4 finger width of foamy head.

Smell- Earthy hops with a nice smoky character.

Taste- Nice smokiness in this brew. The chipotle plays a lead role in this one. There is nice balance of citrus and hops. Has a nice dry finish.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall- A nice spiced brew from Rogue. I enjoyed the smoky character with the easy drinkability. Worth a go for those that like this type of style and are adventurous enough. (521 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours a clear golden copper with an eggshell colored, foamy head. Average head retention with some foamy lacing. Lemon zest, chili pepper, and plastic aromas. Orange notes, smokiness, and an unpleasant plastic flavor. Drinks like a Märzen. Mouthfeel is smooth and soft until the finish, which brings a fine sandpaper-like scrubbing. The faintest capsicum burn on the back of the throat. This is not a great beer. Certainly not Rogue's best effort. Lots of optimism in the idea though. (485 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%

I had heard people had been waiting for this brew to show up at the market, and so I grabbed a bottle before I thought it might be gone. Average price for a 22 and fits right into Rogue's library nicely. Don't think I've had anything similar by then.

Being a smokey fan, I was slightly pleased with the notes that came across at first, lingering long enough to let the rest of the brew come through. Would rather taste the initial smokey, peppery flavor that it starts out with than what follows.

A- one of the nicest things about this beer. Great head that sticks around for a while. Light amber color with a slight red hue, and very clear and clean.

S- Nothing really there. Slight hoppy aroma. I was expecting some smokey notes or something to give away what I was in for, but this beer is kinda empty on the nose.

T- slightly bitter running throughout with a and a good amount of smokey, peppery flavor notes. Wish there was a bit more of everything, so I'd have to say it fell a little flat in this category.
There is a nice caramel

M- kinda neutral and touched the bitter buds for a second and then went blank. It does coat the mouth nicely, so the flavor does seem a bit rounder, but still lacking that extra something that would put it in another league.

After chomping on the heavy-hitting Habanero Sculpin and the smooth, but smokey Stoic, this one just falls short of being an excellent beer. Definitely was worth tasting, but am gonna keep looking. (1,471 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -37.2%

650ml bottle
Served in a conical pint glass

A - It pours amber in color and is capped with a couple of inches of off white head.

S - Initially, all I got was a sweet mess. Eventually, my nose detected some fresh pepper. It just has an overtly sweet smell to it.

T - There is more pepper in the taste. It starts out with a honey sweetness and then the pepper rushes in. The pepper taste is not to my liking. I don't know how to describe it. It is just not good.

M - Pretty thin

O - I love spicy food. I do not love this spicy beer. There are too extremes, spicy and sweet, battling it out and my tastebuds are losing. I would not recommend. (645 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a very lightly hazy (almost clear) copper in color with some very light visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall light beige head that reduces to thick patches and a thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Significant lacing is observed.

S: The aroma on this beer is surprisingly light - expected more of a punch from the peppers but they are there in a more subtle fashion. I get the smokiness and a little of the spiciness of the chipotle peppers along with some malt sweetness.

T: The flavor starts with some malt sweetness (just a hint of caramel to it) and then the flavor of the peppers comes in... There is a really pleasant smokiness of the chipotle pepper and just a touch of heat.

M: Medium bodied with moderate to high amounts of carbonation.

O: Different but drinkable, I would not call this beer sessionable but it is also not something I'm sorry that I chose (or disappointed to have). I would likely not get this beer again and I'm not sure there are really any beers in this style that I want for... The alcohol is not very noticeable and the pepper flavor is not overly hot. (1,111 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%

I've seen this beer around and decided to give it a shot finally. It sounded interesting at the least. I think this is probably the first "chile beer" I've ever tried.

This bomber poured a rich clear amber color with a thick white head that fades to almost nothing a bit quickly.

Aroma is big on the chipotle peppers. Hint of smoke and hops. and a mild malty sweetness.

Taste is where this thing gets really interesting. The smoky chipotle peppers really come through and is the most prominent flavor. Very little but balanced malt and hops hide but can be tasted. Very different from anything I've ever had. It's clean though.

Medium creamy body. Decent carbonation. A bit of spiciness but finishes clean and smooth and is pairing excellently with the mexican dish I am eating. It's different and definitely not something I'd drink every day but it was enjoyable. (868 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +14.4%

A: A clear copper olor with a finger's width off-white head and lacing down the glass.

S: One of the most fragrant chile beers I've smelled. There is a toasted malt aroma with a strong smoked chipotle pepper. Very nice.

T: Continued from the aroma....A toasted malt flavor with smoked peppers. There is also a nice herbal hop to cut through the sweet malt and peppers. The finish is the best part, a little smoke, a little hop and a decent hot spice burn on the tongue.

M: Light body with ligh carbonation. A little dry in the finish. As mentioned before, there is a burn from the chipotle.

O: Good chile beer. Definitely recommend picking up and pairing with food. (669 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with a thin creamy white head. Smokey pepper, malty aroma. Initial taste is very unusual and awkward but becomes very good. Warm, full bodied. Spicy finish. Very intriguing beer if you want to explore, but not something you would drink very often. (259 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -7.2%

To be honest this is one of the first chile beers I've actually sat down to drink and give a good review to. I understand what makes a chile-styled brew good and what makes one bad, and I have to say I was *decently* impressed by this release but not blown away.

Appearance: The appearance lacks much head but what it does have in head it comes with a good quantity of. Solidly packed white foam packs about a quarter inch above my solid clear mug, while the color itself of the brew is very, *very* standard amber in nature. Not as much carbonation as you'd expect from a chile-styled brew but it's possibly the darker color of the amber that's throwing me off a bit. Decent appearance.

Smell: Least good of this beers aspects. I'm not quite sure why either. It seems like it should have a stronger spice scent to it, or at least something that gives it more presence in the nostrils. Decent 2 and a half.

Taste: Eh, it's pretty good. There is nothing special about it really. It hits you as a chile beer would and immediately enters your flood gates with an intense feeling of herbs and spices. It does taste chipotle - I guess - but I can't say this is the kind of chipotle I'd expect from some other top notch chipotle styled alcohols. Not bad... no copper after-taste to speak of (something I'm very big on if you've seen any other my reviews) but nothing to wow me. A Solid 3 or maybe a bit more.

Mouthfeel: This is where I actually think the beer shines. I have looked at no other reviews before reviewing this so I have no idea if people agree with me. It has a great sense of creaminess to it while throwing the spices into your life instantly. It feels good going down and the drinkability is high. A+ on this one.

Overall: Not my favorite Rogue in any way, but it's alright. I've had better spice-heavy beers and even a couple of other chipotle-themed ones. At the price tag this comes with, I wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't call it a bad beer either. I'm sure my review will be lower than the average since there are tons of Rogue fanatics out there, but I just wasn't feeling it too much this time. (2,123 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%

Didn't really know what to expect from this beer. After trying it, I can say I definitely like the style and find it right up my alley. I do like spicy things overall, and having this makes me realize it can work fairly well in beer when done right. Appearance looks like a normal type of amber ale. Not to much head or lacing, looks nondescript. You can definitely smell some of the pepper, and it gives the beer a slightly smokey scent. The smell is interesting. I can't say it's necessarily appetizing, but definitely interesting. Taste wise is where this beer shines. As it warms, the pepper and spice becomes slightly more pronounced, and gives this beer a bit of a bite that I find to be really satisfying. The more you have of it, the better it is. It takes a little getting used to at first. Mouthfeel is a little on the watery side, but the same time the carbonation goes great with the spice, and the heat of it makes it feel quite full. Any fuller body would probably make this feel too heavy. Overall I quite liked this... not a beer I would drink everyday, but certainly good. (1,089 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

P: pours a copperish dark red with an off white head.

S: peppery, smokey, spicy and slightly sweet.

T: peppery bite dominates palate finishes kinda wattery.

M: medium the peppers really hang around.

O: very interesting mix of peppers and ale, would deff have again. (270 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +16.1%

Upon opening some smoke comes out. Upon pouring it pours an off white beige-ish head that is about one finger width. The head retains okay and it laces pretty well. The body is an orange-ish almost amber color. You can see bubbles rise to the top.

The smell comes through with some hops and some smoky pepperiness. Smells pleasing.

You can taste lightly a combination of hops and malt. With these flavors, the hops seem to come through more. What comes through strongly throughout all of that is smoky pepperiness. You can taste the peppers that comes through in a nice smoky peppery delicoius beer.

The mouthfeel is different here. In this beer the carbonation is nice making it a smooth drinkable beer. However, the fact that this is a chile beer gives it a different kick in the mouthfeel. Its something I have not experienced before. You can feel the kick in it, maybe even more than in the actual taste.

Overall, its something to try even if it does not sound appetizing. A chipotle ale does not sound like a delicious beer to drink; or at least it did not sound good to me before I tried it but I am willing to try everything. So, even if a chipotle ale does not sound like a nice delicious ale, give it a try anyway. I enjoyed the new kind of taste that is not normal in most ales. (1,295 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on December 29, 2011. The pour is amber-copper with a short-lasting head that boils down to a ring and a slightly cloudy appearance. For the title, the aroma is actually rather straight forward with a nuice sweet maltiness and a clean hoppiness on the nose. The body is medium. Compared to the aroma the taste is entirely unique with a very spicy bite of pepper that pretty mucn drowns out the malts and hops. Unique for certain but not really something I would have regularly. (513 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -16.9%

A - Hazy copper-amber, 1 and a half finger frothy off white head, good lacing.

S - Slightly pungent, peppers, light hops.

T - Balance of light hops and light malts, pepper kick, vegetable finish, watery.

M - Pretty smooth, moderate carbonation, oily vegetable aftertaste.

O - Not too good. (293 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Slightly hazy copper with 1 finger of off-white head. Average retention with minimal lacing.

S - Soft pale malt with smoked pepper in the background.

T - Soft and sweet grain with some smokiness behind it. You can taste the chili in it for sure. Earthy and mellow. Finishes with a hint of heat on the back of the throat.

M - Medium body with adequate carbonation.

Interesting and pretty good. The heat from the chili is not hot but makes a presence. Nice earthy pale malt to back it up. (494 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%

22 oz bottle into tulip.

A: a hazy light orange hue. very slightly off-white head on top. O.K. retention and minimal lacing.

S: a real earthy smokey aroma. the aroma is mostly chipoltle peppers and not much else.

T: a little malt, a little bitterness, but not much as far as body flavor. most of the flavor comes towards the finish, which turnes to smokey chipotle peppers. as well as some heat. woohoo

M: very moderate carbonation on a light body.

D: this ale is exactly what it say's it is, a Chipotle Ale. aromas and flavors shout smokey chipotle peppers, which is unique and tasty, however i wish there was more of a body to go with it. (649 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

IBU – 35
DATE – 12 NOV 2011
SERVING TYPE – 12 OZ bottle
GLASSWARE – Tumbler
APPEARANCE – Reddish orange with a foamy head lingering at ¼ inch and a good flow of bubbles
AROMA- Sweet with a hint of cayenne
TASTE – Chipolata right off the bat but not spicy at all, just a nice roasted pepper taste, Refreshing believe it or not. As the beer warmed up are of the roasted pepper came out, but still never spicy
MOUTHFEEL – very smooth and a bit creamy.
CONCLUSION – I like it, weird flavor but it works. I would not drink it every day, but it is very enjoyable
-JH- (681 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +3.3%

So strange! This beer pours a burnt orange color with the tinniest off white head that dissipates quickly. Smells malty and smokey. Taste is complex.. Sweet, smokey, some malt, smoked chilies, lightly bitter with a drying end. There is a lingering sweetness between sips. This beer is really unique.. There are so many cool things going on here.

"ale brewed with chipotle peppers" (381 characters)

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales