Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,348 | Reviews: 697
4.75/5  rDev +33.4%

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

3.62/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with a thin creamy white head. Smokey pepper, malty aroma. Initial taste is very unusual and awkward but becomes very good. Warm, full bodied. Spicy finish. Very intriguing beer if you want to explore, but not something you would drink very often.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

3.34/5  rDev -6.2%

To be honest this is one of the first chile beers I've actually sat down to drink and give a good review to. I understand what makes a chile-styled brew good and what makes one bad, and I have to say I was *decently* impressed by this release but not blown away.

Appearance: The appearance lacks much head but what it does have in head it comes with a good quantity of. Solidly packed white foam packs about a quarter inch above my solid clear mug, while the color itself of the brew is very, *very* standard amber in nature. Not as much carbonation as you'd expect from a chile-styled brew but it's possibly the darker color of the amber that's throwing me off a bit. Decent appearance.

Smell: Least good of this beers aspects. I'm not quite sure why either. It seems like it should have a stronger spice scent to it, or at least something that gives it more presence in the nostrils. Decent 2 and a half.

Taste: Eh, it's pretty good. There is nothing special about it really. It hits you as a chile beer would and immediately enters your flood gates with an intense feeling of herbs and spices. It does taste chipotle - I guess - but I can't say this is the kind of chipotle I'd expect from some other top notch chipotle styled alcohols. Not bad... no copper after-taste to speak of (something I'm very big on if you've seen any other my reviews) but nothing to wow me. A Solid 3 or maybe a bit more.

Mouthfeel: This is where I actually think the beer shines. I have looked at no other reviews before reviewing this so I have no idea if people agree with me. It has a great sense of creaminess to it while throwing the spices into your life instantly. It feels good going down and the drinkability is high. A+ on this one.

Overall: Not my favorite Rogue in any way, but it's alright. I've had better spice-heavy beers and even a couple of other chipotle-themed ones. At the price tag this comes with, I wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't call it a bad beer either. I'm sure my review will be lower than the average since there are tons of Rogue fanatics out there, but I just wasn't feeling it too much this time.

1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales