Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
3.03/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a 650 mL bottle into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a reddish-tan color with a thick foamy tan head that dissipates slowly leaving nice lacing.

Smell: Malty with a kind of musky roasted pepper aroma in the background.

Taste: Tastes like, well, chipotle. Has a roasted pepper taste that pretty much masks whatever else this beer has to offer. Not too spicy, but the pepper flavor is a little overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Light, and pretty refreshing. The peppers add a nice bite to this as well.

Drinkability: An interesting beer. If you're looking for something interesting to pair with tacos (I did) or Mexican food, this might be the beer for it. Not necessarily something I will go to in the future, but worth a try.

2.2/5  rDev -38.2%

I can't be sure, but I think the nitro totally destroyed this beer. I'm always willing to give nitro a shot and thought this one would be interesting but nope, it was not interesting at all.

Two fingers of bubbly nitro head. Body is copper. Nothing much by way of aroma, which makes me sad. Seriously, there is nothing discernible here. Flavors are watery and reminiscent of plastic. What follows is heavy biscuit malts. The mouthfeel is flat and thin, and bitter residuals are left behind but nothing with great flavor. What the hell happened here? Where's the smokiness? Where are my chipotle flavors?? This is not what the doctor ordered. I'll be sure to try it again in a bottle and fix up my review if I need to...

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

A - This beer poured a orange copperish color that produced a fluffy white head that had decent retention and laced the side of the glass moderately

S - The aroma produced by this beer were spicy, smoked peppers

T - The taste of this beer was more pleasant as opposed to the reviews I have read for this beer, sweet malts balance very well with the smoked, spicy flavor of the pepper, while the heat was present, it didn't scorch my tongue or stay around

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This beer was a lot better than I thought it would be, which goes to show you don't be shy about trying new things, but being in NO we love our spices, so should have figured that a Chile Ale from Rogues would be good

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours with a soild finger of head with a dark mahogany coloring

The smell reminds me of smoked deli meats and ketchup. Interesting and unlike most other chili beers I have tried

The taste is what is most took caught my attention, instead of the pepper spicyness it is more like a rauchbier. Very tasty version of the style.

M/D - The mouthfeel is quite good, but I think that this is something my palate could only take one of

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

First time I've ever tried a "Chile Beer," glad I get to try something from a company I'm fairly familiar with, here goes:

In a pint glass:

A: light amber colored body, really nice looking foamy lumpy white two finger head appears and lasts for a good three minutes before gently dieing into the body. Some carbonation is seen rising. Some spotty lacing is left.

S: wow, I can really smell the jalapeno peppers (honestly, I was a bit skeptical and thought it would be just another amber that displays undertones of peppers)

T: the same adding a very dry smokey aftertaste.

M: medium and sharp on the tongue, possibly because of the peppers that were added (just an assumption, but unfamiliar with the style so slightly unsure). I'm liking this "hot" feel rushing over my tongue after about five minutes of having a couple sips of this, interesting.

O: I've been wanting to try this for a very long time. I'm glad I was finally able to find one. I'm not sure if this is only a "Spring" beer anymore since only recently I saw a large amount added to Bow Street Market, Freeport, Maine. I guess its good for its style since it displays the normal smell and taste of "hot and spicy food" the mouthfeel I'm unsure of and am making an assumption on that part, but I think I would come back to this. I wonder how this would pair with chocolate cake at dessert?

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a medium amber color, clear, with a thin, foamy beige head. Aroma was a nice blend of sweet malts, earthy hops and peppery hotness. I knew I was in for a ride.

The initial flavor is nothing too wild, until the pepper aftertaste gently burns the back of your throat. Reminiscent of a rauchbier, but with a kick. It's jolting-- almost as if you're drinking a spicy V8 in your beer. But the more I drank, the more I enjoyed it. The hotness never became overbearing, and the earthy hops and sugar balanced out well enough. I'm always on the lookout for unique beers, and this one is one of the most unique I've ever had. That said, one bomber was plenty.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.95/5  rDev +11%

A- Brilliantly clear dark amber with a moderate sized off-white head.

A- Malty aroma with light pepper and smoke.

T- The pepper is far from overpowering and took a few sips before any sort of pepper heat developed. It was a light heat sensation.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, very smooth drinking beer.

D- Very drinkable pepper beer. The chipotle was far from overpowering and could have been increased without being offensive.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

The brew appeared a copper - red color with minimal head.

The smell was sweet at first with a spice note on the end.

Taste was a little more complex. There was an immediate malt flavor followed by a smokey aftertaste. Following the smoke came a mild chile-like heat.

This was a malty beer that with good carbonation. Wasn't overpowering with the various flavors.

The smokey flavor was a little intense at times but for a chili beer I was very impressed. I would consider trying it again.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.98/5  rDev +11.8%

22 oz. Bottle
The ingredients list says "smoked chipotle peppers." Isn't that redundant?

Appearance: This was a hazey, amber-orange beer. On my first pour, a coarse white head, only one finger high, rose up and disappeared in a flash. Not even a ring was left by the time that the glass was half empty. I must have had my head up my ass on that first pour, though. The rest of the bottle poured with a huge, dense head that lingered and left a ton of lace.

Smell: From the bottle, this brew smelled very smokey, almost like the Rogue Smoke Ale (Nooooo!!). From the glass it was totally different. There were classic malt and hop aroms combined with a subtle smokiness. When I first smelled this beer, I thought that I caught a whiff of some spice from the peppers. That was the only time that I could detect it, though.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and very smooth.

Taste: The usual malt and hops were present in this beer, and it was all overlayed by the smoke flavor from the peppers. There is also a sour twang on the tongue. Could this be attributed to the peppers? Anyway, the finish is when a very mild spiciness kicks in. After my second pour, some yeast flavors joined the party.

This beer was pretty good. If someone *has* to make a beer with peppers in it, it should taste like this.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

This beer pours into the pint glass a dark orange with a big bubble head that drops down to a 1/8 inch top. Smell is smoky, similar to the Rogue Smoke Ale, but milder. Some malt and hops struggles through. Taste is smoky with a mild heat. This beer could use just a touch more heat, though my wife thought it was too hot. Results vary by palate, eh? The smokiness was assertive but, again, not as strong as in the Smoke Ale. Mouthfeel is medium with the smokiness and heat providing the body. There are some hops noted in the end. This is a quaffable brew, demanding some hearty food to accompany it. I'll have this on hand for barbecues this summer.

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

It's a light reddish, caramel color with a light tan head and has plenty of carbonation and very little lacing; it has a nice hoppy aroma to along with some spicy undertone and a mild citrus smell, but nothing like chipotle peppers. It has a clean and refreshing feel; it's pretty smooth and leaves a slight film in your mouth. It is mildly spicy, I think I was expecting something much hotter, but is very tasty. There is some bitterness in its aftertaste that really compliments the spiciness to it. This is a pretty good beer over all and I'll be buying again soon.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Rogue Chipotle Ale is a dark amber color with just a little haze. There is a 1/2" off-white head that falls off to a spotted cap. Little lacing.

The aroma is smoky and woody. There is kind of a rubbery smell. I get kind of a V-8 Hot and Spicy tomato juice kind of feel out of the aroma. The hops are detectable in the background.

The intitial flavor is a fairly intense smokiness. This is balanced with a light roasted taste and a good hop bite in the finish. Salty with some hint of tomato (first for a beer description for me!). The spiciness doesn't appear until long after the liquid is swallowed. A nice warm feeling from the peppers coats the mouth.

This beer struck me as having a somewhat oily, medium-bodied mouthfeel. Good carbonation. The beer was semi-low on the drinkability scale for me only because this beer is not my bag. A 12oz. sample would have sufficed for me. Very unique and worth a try.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales