Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

(Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros

Pours with a soild finger of head with a dark mahogany coloring

The smell reminds me of smoked deli meats and ketchup. Interesting and unlike most other chili beers I have tried

The taste is what is most took caught my attention, instead of the pepper spicyness it is more like a rauchbier. Very tasty version of the style.

M/D - The mouthfeel is quite good, but I think that this is something my palate could only take one of

1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

First time I've ever tried a "Chile Beer," glad I get to try something from a company I'm fairly familiar with, here goes:

In a pint glass:

A: light amber colored body, really nice looking foamy lumpy white two finger head appears and lasts for a good three minutes before gently dieing into the body. Some carbonation is seen rising. Some spotty lacing is left.

S: wow, I can really smell the jalapeno peppers (honestly, I was a bit skeptical and thought it would be just another amber that displays undertones of peppers)

T: the same adding a very dry smokey aftertaste.

M: medium and sharp on the tongue, possibly because of the peppers that were added (just an assumption, but unfamiliar with the style so slightly unsure). I'm liking this "hot" feel rushing over my tongue after about five minutes of having a couple sips of this, interesting.

O: I've been wanting to try this for a very long time. I'm glad I was finally able to find one. I'm not sure if this is only a "Spring" beer anymore since only recently I saw a large amount added to Bow Street Market, Freeport, Maine. I guess its good for its style since it displays the normal smell and taste of "hot and spicy food" the mouthfeel I'm unsure of and am making an assumption on that part, but I think I would come back to this. I wonder how this would pair with chocolate cake at dessert?

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a medium amber color, clear, with a thin, foamy beige head. Aroma was a nice blend of sweet malts, earthy hops and peppery hotness. I knew I was in for a ride.

The initial flavor is nothing too wild, until the pepper aftertaste gently burns the back of your throat. Reminiscent of a rauchbier, but with a kick. It's jolting-- almost as if you're drinking a spicy V8 in your beer. But the more I drank, the more I enjoyed it. The hotness never became overbearing, and the earthy hops and sugar balanced out well enough. I'm always on the lookout for unique beers, and this one is one of the most unique I've ever had. That said, one bomber was plenty.

2.72/5  rDev -23.6%

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.95/5  rDev +11%

A- Brilliantly clear dark amber with a moderate sized off-white head.

A- Malty aroma with light pepper and smoke.

T- The pepper is far from overpowering and took a few sips before any sort of pepper heat developed. It was a light heat sensation.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, very smooth drinking beer.

D- Very drinkable pepper beer. The chipotle was far from overpowering and could have been increased without being offensive.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

The brew appeared a copper - red color with minimal head.

The smell was sweet at first with a spice note on the end.

Taste was a little more complex. There was an immediate malt flavor followed by a smokey aftertaste. Following the smoke came a mild chile-like heat.

This was a malty beer that with good carbonation. Wasn't overpowering with the various flavors.

The smokey flavor was a little intense at times but for a chili beer I was very impressed. I would consider trying it again.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

3.98/5  rDev +11.8%

22 oz. Bottle
The ingredients list says "smoked chipotle peppers." Isn't that redundant?

Appearance: This was a hazey, amber-orange beer. On my first pour, a coarse white head, only one finger high, rose up and disappeared in a flash. Not even a ring was left by the time that the glass was half empty. I must have had my head up my ass on that first pour, though. The rest of the bottle poured with a huge, dense head that lingered and left a ton of lace.

Smell: From the bottle, this brew smelled very smokey, almost like the Rogue Smoke Ale (Nooooo!!). From the glass it was totally different. There were classic malt and hop aroms combined with a subtle smokiness. When I first smelled this beer, I thought that I caught a whiff of some spice from the peppers. That was the only time that I could detect it, though.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and very smooth.

Taste: The usual malt and hops were present in this beer, and it was all overlayed by the smoke flavor from the peppers. There is also a sour twang on the tongue. Could this be attributed to the peppers? Anyway, the finish is when a very mild spiciness kicks in. After my second pour, some yeast flavors joined the party.

This beer was pretty good. If someone *has* to make a beer with peppers in it, it should taste like this.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

This beer pours into the pint glass a dark orange with a big bubble head that drops down to a 1/8 inch top. Smell is smoky, similar to the Rogue Smoke Ale, but milder. Some malt and hops struggles through. Taste is smoky with a mild heat. This beer could use just a touch more heat, though my wife thought it was too hot. Results vary by palate, eh? The smokiness was assertive but, again, not as strong as in the Smoke Ale. Mouthfeel is medium with the smokiness and heat providing the body. There are some hops noted in the end. This is a quaffable brew, demanding some hearty food to accompany it. I'll have this on hand for barbecues this summer.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

1.53/5  rDev -57%

Pours a nice fizzy head that's white. The color is almost an orange-like brown. The head doesn't retain too well and and doesn't leave a full lacing behind. The smell is spicy, but smells a bit like tobacco at the same time. The taste is tobacco like as well and has the same spiciness as the smell. The spice is unmistakeable. It's about like taking a drink of watered down tobacco spit. It leaves me a little nausious. The mouthfeel was a little fizzy. Overall I will never try this style again, it makes me want to throw up.

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Rogue Chipotle Ale is a dark amber color with just a little haze. There is a 1/2" off-white head that falls off to a spotted cap. Little lacing.

The aroma is smoky and woody. There is kind of a rubbery smell. I get kind of a V-8 Hot and Spicy tomato juice kind of feel out of the aroma. The hops are detectable in the background.

The intitial flavor is a fairly intense smokiness. This is balanced with a light roasted taste and a good hop bite in the finish. Salty with some hint of tomato (first for a beer description for me!). The spiciness doesn't appear until long after the liquid is swallowed. A nice warm feeling from the peppers coats the mouth.

This beer struck me as having a somewhat oily, medium-bodied mouthfeel. Good carbonation. The beer was semi-low on the drinkability scale for me only because this beer is not my bag. A 12oz. sample would have sufficed for me. Very unique and worth a try.

1.83/5  rDev -48.6%

a- bomber poured into a pint, more than a fingers worth of fluffy head, hazy honey amber coloring.

s- bizarre - thats my adjective here. you can definately smell the chopotle peppers blended together with the caramel malts. my description sounds appealing enough but the smell really is off-putting - and i LOVE chipotle peppers.

t- bizarrer - new word, but appropriate here. fermented peppers, the spice is detectable in the back of the throat. this beer really isn't my thing.

m- medium body.

d- the drinkability here isn't great. i was sooo looking forward to trying this, i went out of my way to pick up a bottle and saved it for a special pairing with my homemade chili (which has beer and chipotle peppers in it). this should have been a wonderful pairing but unfortunately i ended up drainpouring this bad boy.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

As a fan of spicey food, I was really looking forward to this, my first chipotle beer. Pours a nice dark amber with a thin white head that fades away pretty fast. Nose is pretty much like a normal ale---caramel malts, floral hoppiness, and just a hint of smokiness. First taste is full of smokey chipotle flavor, very tasty, not at all burning, and integrating well with the malty backbone of the beer. After a few sips a spicey heat can be felt on the tongue between sips, and this spiciness builds throughout. Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side. I had this beer with some nachos, cheese, and salsa, and it really provided an excellent match to the food. However, due to the one-dimensional spiciness of this beer, I'm not sure I'd ever drink this by itself. I had doubts about how good this style of beer could be, but as usual Rogue puts out an exemplary product.

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

22oz bomber. Pours clear copper with a now you see it now you don't off white head. Smell definitely hints at smoke and peppers. Smell deeper, though, and just a strong caramel dominates. Taste definitely is dominated by smoky peppers but not nearly as intrusively as I imagined. It leaves a lingering slight sting around the mouth & the back of the throat. Very balanced, actually, and it reminds me of the rauchbiers from Bamburg a bit. Grassy, bready. The mouthfeel is thin but tingly. Overall very interesting, very creative. Not my cup of [beer] tea, but very, very well done.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a clear medium amber with a 1 finger head and good lacing. I don't get too much nose on this one but I do get some smoke and malt aromas. Taste is similar in start to their smoked ale but you don't get the "ham" flavor instead it is of very mild pepper, not spicy at all. Very nicely balanced between malt, hops and smokiness. A very nice example of the style. The complete opposite of cave creek. (ick,yuk)

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales