Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,348 | Reviews: 697
2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%

A: Pours a beautiful clear copper with 1 finger of slightly thin head.

S: Slightly metallic and ferric with a prevailing smokiness; underscored by a subtle tropical fruit and hop-like sweetness.

T: A whole grain bread-like malt lays out the base for this brew. This is complemented by a tangy peppery kick. The smokiness of the chipotle peppers is definitely prominent here. It finishes with a tingly spice that's not too overpowering but still retains a strong bite.

M: The active carbonation complements the spiciness of the beer well, almost as if to preempt the aftertaste.

D: I think a couple sips of this is enough to satisfy my curiosity of the flavor, but I found myself having trouble finishing the bottle. This is definitely beer with character. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't think I'll try it again.

3.82/5  rDev +7.3%

A- clear amber color, good retention on a off white head, soapy lacing

S- spicy, dry, and peppery

T- spicy, distant citric hop in aftertaste, dry, roasted malts, peppery, toasted malts, spicy and hot aftertaste

M- smooth, medium body that drys and is hot and spicy

D- interesting and worth a try, flavoring is amazing but not enjoyable for me

2.91/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours a clear ruby amber with a medium tan head, well carbonated. Aroma is sweet and malty, not much in the way of herbs or peppers to be found.

Taste is mostly malt, toasted and bready-sweet with a touch of herbal dryness. Nothing immediate in the way of chile flavors, as one would expect, but a subtle, smokey vegetal chile element builds over time. No perceptable heat at all, at least by me. Yawn.

Mouthfeel is medium and clean, easy to drink. The chiles lend a nice earthiness but it would be hard to characterize this alongside other chile beers. A good choice with the chipotles but you could double or triple the amount (chipotles are among the mildest peppers) and get a much better beer.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance- Rust color with an off white head

Smell- Sweet and smoky. Possible hint of peppers.

Taste- A very smoky taste to it. In the aftertaste I could taste a slight hint of peppers.

Mouthfeel- A medium body with light carbonation.

Drinkability- It isn't a bad beer. Maybe a bit pricey but not too bad.

3.03/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a 650 mL bottle into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a reddish-tan color with a thick foamy tan head that dissipates slowly leaving nice lacing.

Smell: Malty with a kind of musky roasted pepper aroma in the background.

Taste: Tastes like, well, chipotle. Has a roasted pepper taste that pretty much masks whatever else this beer has to offer. Not too spicy, but the pepper flavor is a little overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Light, and pretty refreshing. The peppers add a nice bite to this as well.

Drinkability: An interesting beer. If you're looking for something interesting to pair with tacos (I did) or Mexican food, this might be the beer for it. Not necessarily something I will go to in the future, but worth a try.

2.22/5  rDev -37.6%

I can't be sure, but I think the nitro totally destroyed this beer. I'm always willing to give nitro a shot and thought this one would be interesting but nope, it was not interesting at all.

Two fingers of bubbly nitro head. Body is copper. Nothing much by way of aroma, which makes me sad. Seriously, there is nothing discernible here. Flavors are watery and reminiscent of plastic. What follows is heavy biscuit malts. The mouthfeel is flat and thin, and bitter residuals are left behind but nothing with great flavor. What the hell happened here? Where's the smokiness? Where are my chipotle flavors?? This is not what the doctor ordered. I'll be sure to try it again in a bottle and fix up my review if I need to...

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

4.19/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm trying to figure out if this version of the beer has changed much, if at all, from prior years because it was a lot better than I remember. The appearance of the poor was a dark amber hue with a light head. The smell was smokey with a little bit of pepper mixed in with the hops and malt smells. The taste and mouthfeel are what I love the most about the beer. The taste is deeply smokey with just a little bit of spice on the back of the throat. It makes the beer an easy pairing with Spanish and Indian food. The mouthfeel as well coats your cheeks so that there's a light tingle from the spice. Overall was very nice and for the price I found it at (7.99) not a bad buy.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

A - This beer poured a orange copperish color that produced a fluffy white head that had decent retention and laced the side of the glass moderately

S - The aroma produced by this beer were spicy, smoked peppers

T - The taste of this beer was more pleasant as opposed to the reviews I have read for this beer, sweet malts balance very well with the smoked, spicy flavor of the pepper, while the heat was present, it didn't scorch my tongue or stay around

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This beer was a lot better than I thought it would be, which goes to show you don't be shy about trying new things, but being in NO we love our spices, so should have figured that a Chile Ale from Rogues would be good

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

3.82/5  rDev +7.3%

It's a light reddish, caramel color with a light tan head and has plenty of carbonation and very little lacing; it has a nice hoppy aroma to along with some spicy undertone and a mild citrus smell, but nothing like chipotle peppers. It has a clean and refreshing feel; it's pretty smooth and leaves a slight film in your mouth. It is mildly spicy, I think I was expecting something much hotter, but is very tasty. There is some bitterness in its aftertaste that really compliments the spiciness to it. This is a pretty good beer over all and I'll be buying again soon.

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours with a soild finger of head with a dark mahogany coloring

The smell reminds me of smoked deli meats and ketchup. Interesting and unlike most other chili beers I have tried

The taste is what is most took caught my attention, instead of the pepper spicyness it is more like a rauchbier. Very tasty version of the style.

M/D - The mouthfeel is quite good, but I think that this is something my palate could only take one of

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

4.07/5  rDev +14.3%

First time I've ever tried a "Chile Beer," glad I get to try something from a company I'm fairly familiar with, here goes:

In a pint glass:

A: light amber colored body, really nice looking foamy lumpy white two finger head appears and lasts for a good three minutes before gently dieing into the body. Some carbonation is seen rising. Some spotty lacing is left.

S: wow, I can really smell the jalapeno peppers (honestly, I was a bit skeptical and thought it would be just another amber that displays undertones of peppers)

T: the same adding a very dry smokey aftertaste.

M: medium and sharp on the tongue, possibly because of the peppers that were added (just an assumption, but unfamiliar with the style so slightly unsure). I'm liking this "hot" feel rushing over my tongue after about five minutes of having a couple sips of this, interesting.

O: I've been wanting to try this for a very long time. I'm glad I was finally able to find one. I'm not sure if this is only a "Spring" beer anymore since only recently I saw a large amount added to Bow Street Market, Freeport, Maine. I guess its good for its style since it displays the normal smell and taste of "hot and spicy food" the mouthfeel I'm unsure of and am making an assumption on that part, but I think I would come back to this. I wonder how this would pair with chocolate cake at dessert?

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a medium amber color, clear, with a thin, foamy beige head. Aroma was a nice blend of sweet malts, earthy hops and peppery hotness. I knew I was in for a ride.

The initial flavor is nothing too wild, until the pepper aftertaste gently burns the back of your throat. Reminiscent of a rauchbier, but with a kick. It's jolting-- almost as if you're drinking a spicy V8 in your beer. But the more I drank, the more I enjoyed it. The hotness never became overbearing, and the earthy hops and sugar balanced out well enough. I'm always on the lookout for unique beers, and this one is one of the most unique I've ever had. That said, one bomber was plenty.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales