Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales

Chile Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chipotle Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 693 | Hads: 1,372
3.95/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured a relatively nice orange/red color, though i can't be too too sure since I was in a dark restaurant when i got it. There was almost no head apparent, even when I swirled it around in the pint glass.

It smelt interesting and had some hops come through as well as some small amount of peppery, yet not extremely spicy flavor. It was obviously composed in balance as it was difficult to identify many distinguishable aromas.

The taste was actually very smooth and enjoyable to drink. It started as a slightly hoppy amber and progressed into a cayenne pepper flavor. Although my last experience with a "funky" beer was unenjoyable, this was actually decent. I paired it with some Mexican food, which really was the right idea.

The mouth feel was decent and although I could have gone with a tiny bit more viscosity, I enjoyed it as it went down. Furthermore, I felt that it was extremely drinkable as before I had even realized, I pretty much killed the beer.

Definitely an enjoyable beer. I'm glad I didn't listen to some warnings from others; for an interesting beer, this is a great try that's worth coming back for again. (1,132 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

I poured this into a pint glass

A - Slightly cloudy with a decent slightly reddish color.

S - I didn't notice anything outstanding other than some hops. Nothing really jumped out at me.

T - This was pretty decent. I was worried it would be a little too spicy or have a flavor I didn't like. It tasted like a decent ale with a little bit of a bite. I wouldn't know the reason for the bite if I didn't read the label, but it was decent.

M - Again, the slight bite was the most noticeable thing to me. Mostly on the sides of my tongue, it felt nice. Nothing bad about this one.

D - I could have a few of these. Of beers similar in style, this is probably about average. If I had to buy it, I would probably settle for a beer a little lighter on the wallet but with similar taste. This isn't a beer I would go out and buy a case of, but if my buddy offered it to me I'd have no problem drinking it. (899 characters)

a: pours cloudy dark copper with sturdy one-finger head.

s: earthy smoked pepper on top of sweet malt and a bit of hop spice.

t: sweet pale ale taste for a second until the chipotle kicks in, which warms slightly and brings a great smoky taste.

m: thick but smooth, the chipotle leaves an earthy film.

d: delicious well-balanced mix of spice and sweet, it can be a refreshing break during a night of strong beers. (417 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was my first effort at chili beers and I'm not sure I can handle the style but I'll try to rate it for what it is.

A- Clear amber with a thick head nice retention and good lacing. Pretty anyway.

S- Malt and smoke then the pepper. Quite spicy on the nose. Even just a little sweetness.

T- Doesn't burn too bad actually. I think the point isn't just the hotness but peppers add a certain flavor of there own. You taste the malt first and then it's smoky like a porter. Then the spiciness kicks in. There's also yeast and I think a little citrus hops flavor on the end. Balance is impressive actually.

M- Clean and crisp medium body.

D- If you can handle the heat then go ahead and hit a few of these. (708 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -70.6%

Probably, by far one of the most terrible beers i've ever had if not the worst. Tastes like a cruel joke involving someone literally pouring chipotle sauce in beer and calling it a style. Made me want to vomit, and gave me immediate indigestion with only two gulps.

This is by no means a bash to rogue brewing, because they put out some stuff i truly enjoy (i.e. santas private reserve, dead guy, and xs) Would refrain from ever wasting your money on this. The bottle is cool, but the beer is an atrocity. (506 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Until this point, the only chile beer I've tried was the notorious Cave Creek Chili Beer. After that, I never really had the burning desire to try another chile beer. I finally picked up a bottle of Rogue Chipolte Ale today and to my suprise, I'm really enjoying it. It has a nice sweet peppery malt scent and it tastes great. You can certianly pick up the pepper flavors but they are not at all overwhelming as they are in Cave Creek. I cannot detect much for hops but there might be an ever so slight cascade taste if any. This is also a highly drinkable beer and well balanced considering it's made with chipolte peppers... I will have no problem finishing this bottle, and actually would like to pick up another. Going down well with my RB sandwich...

There are probably others like me who fear spending the 4.50 on a bottle of chipolte ale after trying something like cave creek, but I highly recommend this beer. Rogue is a great brewer and they have made a winner with this beer. The peppers compliment the rest of the beer well and it's a nice change from your average beer. I recommend it and will certianly be picking this up again. Maybe in just a few minutes... (1,176 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

This is a very interesting beer. I thought the pepper was really balanced but a lot of the people who tried it with me thought otherwise. The beer is a nice amber color with a fluffy off white head and great lacing. The smell is what's the most odd about this beer to me. It smelled a lot like beer, but it smelled almost like something had gone wrong in the process. It didn't smell bad, it just smelled different. I will attribute that to the chipotle peppers. The taste is great though, with nice caramel overtones and not a whole lot of smokiness or stiff spicy flavor. It's in the finish where the chipotle peppers shine... instead of an alcohol burn on the way down you get a really nice warming sensation from the presence of the peppers. This would be a great beer on a cold winter night. The mouthfeel is smooth and refreshing considering the peppers. Definitely not a beer you'll be having more than two of in one evening. (932 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +25%

Purchased a bomber at Beltway Fine Wine nearby, poured into a DFH snifter.

I'm a fan of smoked and chili pepper type beers, so I had to buy it when I saw it and was excited to try it. It definitely lived up to its expectations!

Pours a reddish medium brown with light-tan head about 2 fingers tall. You can smell that smoked and chipotle aromas, and you can certainly taste them, too. I love the smoke flavor this beer has. It really tastes like the smoked chipotle ground spice I have in the cabinet... and in a very good way! It would certainly make a great stout, too. (574 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a very clear copper/orange (way to go Pacman yeast). Thin, compact head dissipates extremely rapidly to nothing (likely due to chipotle oils in the beer). During sipping, there is no lacing that clings to the glass.

Scents of toffee, faint caramel, slight floral hop presence.

Medium to highly carbonated brew hits the palate and helps to spread the flavors around. Thin, but crisp mouthfeel. I would like a little more malt presence up front to balance the 35 IBUs of cascade and willamette hops. But, I do initially taste some earthy caramel and slight nutty flavor. The chipotle presence quickly exerts itself as the liquid warms. This pepper taste lingers for a long time on the palette after each sip, especially in the back of the mouth.

Although I couldn't drink pint after pint of this interesting ale, I do appreciate the creativity inherent in the recipe. The chipotle flavor is not overpowering and is quite interesting. I will purchase this brew again and have already started thinking about fun food pairings. (1,037 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +5%

I've had this bottle for a few months and was waiting until I was in the mood for something different.

Poured a dark orange / amber color, hazy, with a head and fading into minimal lacing with in a minute or two (probably a result of the oils from the peppers).

Smelled sweet and malty, clean with a very slight hint of something but if I didn't know there was peppers in this I wouldn't have been able to pick it out as such.

The taste was immediately malty sweet with hints of caramel and almost zero hops. The pepper taste came across as a light smoky flavor in the after taste. Very nicely balanced with the sweetness of the beer. The body of the beer seemed a bit thick and syrupy but it went very well with the smokiness. This beer would go great with pulled pork or any BBQ.

Very nice beer. I'd buy this again specifically to drink with a BBQ meal. Rogue once again pulls out a different, fantastic beer. (923 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -17.2%

pours a light red with a thick tan head, and lots of lacing as this one drinks.
initially, I get a whiff of smokiness which reminds me a bit of pipe tobacco and leather. not unpleasant, but not what I was expecting.
the taste that hits you up front is definitely the BBQ-like smokey flavors, but I'm not getting much heat like you would from a hot pepper (which, perhaps, is not really the intention here). malty sweetness starts to come through as this one finishes, very little carbonation and a decent smooth mouthfeel.
I wasn't expecting to make this beer something I'd drink on the regular, but I was hoping for maybe a fun/gimmick type of brew that would be fun to buy every once and awhile to pair with appropriate cuisines. I think the smokey flavors don't really blend well with the malt and hops of an ale, and are better suited for a porter or stout. Definitely not a bad beer, I drank it all and enjoyed it for the most part, but not something I'd go out of my way to drink again. (992 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

This is a pretty one – a cool amber with flecks of red. The head is thin, bubbly, and disappears quickly. Taking my anosmia into account, I have been told the smell is smoky, with hints of chili pepper and malt.

The taste is initially sweet, and surprisingly full, followed by a robust smokiness. Subtle hints of chili linger as the smokiness disappears. Another sip confirms this progression from sweet to smoky. The aftertaste showcases this beer’s distinct chili flavor, although the spiciness is not as ‘in your face’ as you might expect.

Carbonation is light. Mouthfeel is full, but I wouldn’t quite describe it as earthy or chewy. This beer really surprised me- I was expecting a rather unique, novelty brew- much to the contrary, I have discovered a sweet and smoky beer with an unexpectedly high drinkability. Good with ribs? (845 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

This lightly spicy, heavily smoky beer makes a unique session brew. With not too much spiciness it is suprisingly drinkable, rather than a novelty, and the smoky chipotles give it enough of a unique kick to keep it interesting all night. There is a certain medicinal quality to the smoky flavor that is noticable in the odor and taste, and it is a little too overpowering to make this a perfect beer. (400 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +34.7%

This is my first chipotle beer and as such I didn't know what to expect.

The beers pours a golden orange color with a thick frothy head.It smells malty and piny. It tastes like a good beer with the malts coming through and subtle hops. The chipotles hit you at the end of the beer after you swallow. I slight spice builds into a nice heat with every gulp. This beer is a must if you want to try something new and different. I really enjoyed it. (446 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +23.1%

Appearance:
I poured this beer directly from the bottle into red wine glass. The liquid was a reddish copper color and the head was a very pale tan. Just a shade off of white.

Smell:
The malt in this beer is very noticeable. The smell that the chipotle gives off is very faint. It's as if you walked into a room where chipotles where on display, rather than holding one up to your nose.

Taste:
The taste of this beer is very unique. The hop flavor is almost inevident, but chipotle fills that hole very nicely. It isn't a strong chile flavor though (scoville-phobes need not avoid this brew). The chipotle taste is not overbearing and definitely not spicy.

Mouth feel:
Drinking this beer gives me the feeling of having eaten a very spicy meal about 45 minutes ago. I just have a sort of a very gentle tingling in the gums and palate. I'm not sure I described that correctly, but it's a very enjoyable feeling.

Overall:
This is a very nice beer and a unique one to experience. This is my first chile beer, and I hope to explore many more offerings in the genre.

FULL DISCLOSURE: Though I wouldn't even call this spicy, I do enjoy really spicy food and the feeling you get from it. (1,185 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a nice amber color with a one finger off white head. Smells of sweet malt, I can't pick up any spices, but nonetheless a pleasant smell. It has a very subtle spice with a malty sweetness, leaves a spicy warmness. The mouthfeel is smooth, almost no carbonation. It is a pretty drinkable beer, after my first glass I started to feel the spice. I probably wouldn't drink more than one, but I had a 25oz bottle so I didn't have much choice. I will say that I was hoping for something with a little more spice, this is a very subtle. (534 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Quite opaque, bronze/copper color. Minimal lacing/head.

Smells more malty than hoppy, you can detect a bit of peppery/spicy heat.

Perhaps a bit biased, as I'm enjoying this with arroz con pollo, but I believe this beer to be quite complex and well-balanced. The first wave is a little cinnamon sweet, you get the bready/toasty maltness, followed quickly with the warmth of the cinnamon and something like cardamom. The spice flavors seem well blended, like the beer has been aged or something. Lots of after-tastes.. ham/bacon, more spices/herbs, licorice perhaps.

Surprisingly light. Like the beer turns into vapor when it hits your tongue. Quite refreshing.

Overall, a solid entry into the spiced/herbal beers from Rogue. Worth a try. (740 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +20%

This is better than other chili beers, the fact that they are using roasted Jalapeños rather than raw makes a big difference, the pepper is subtle and does not overwhelm the decent ale that it is layered into. There are only smoky overtones noticed at first, as the temperature of the beer rises the pepper is more noticeable. (327 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Agreed that it's not the chile beer with the most heat; that's because it tastes like actual chipotle peppers. Smooth and mildly hoppy nose, moderate carbonation, with warming chipotle finish. I would argue that the spicier beers are more of a novelty, whereas this one is more genuinely tasty and drinkable. If you like that kind of thing, of course, it's not for everyone. (374 characters)

Poured from a bottle to a snifter.

Nice head, smells smokey.. Real smokey. Taste is what I expect. Smokey smokey. Not much heat maybe a little on the finish, it was a good tasting beer but I was looking for some heat not so much smoke flavor. Might buy again and pair it with food. (283 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I may have chilled it a bit too much since as usual, I procrastinated on it's purchase and quickly tossed it in the freezer. But I'm hungry as hell and I told myself I'd taste the first glass or so before actually pairing the food to get both impressions.

A not so gentle pour lends to a rich brown ale with a nice but quickly dissapating off white head, laces nicely. Smells of lightly toasted malts. Chocolate and coffee undertones with a slight possibly citrus hop.

A mouthful of medium bodied brew delights the tongue with roasted malts. Definite Chocolate, maybe carameled coffee. I'd say I can't really pick up any spice in it, perhaps it's too cold. I'm really trying to taste something else in there, I suppose it might be the smoked jalepenos it specifies, very coyly. It has a familiar Rogue slightly bitter hop to it, but they are not overpowering and quite subtle. This is quite well balanced, only the smoked flavor dominates, a bit of alcohol warming, but that could just be my extremely empty stomach. Ahh! The spice is starting to cut through, definitely biting on the tongue after a few minutes now, excellent.

This didn't pair very well with the Chile Con Queso I had, except the spices. It kept my mouth ablaze which I love, but the smoked flavor was dominating too much. might go better with a meat dish of some sort, but I would never know... Alone, it's a very interesting and tasty offering, unique and worth a try once in awhile, just not very drinkable in quantities. (1,501 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%

Picked this one up from a new store in town, saw it advertised and had to try it.

22oz. poured a very good looking amber color with a nice head, although it didnt retain very well.

Aroma was lacking, i did pick up a slight pepper scent. When I tasted it I was blown away. Ive never had a beer like this before and at first i was a little put off by the flavor. You can really taste the chipotle flavor. The more i drank of this beer, the more i appreciated it. Overall, I probably wouldnt go out of my way for it, but its a good beer, and I would drink it again. (564 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +13.3%

22 oz bomber

nice orangy-amber color, with a great aroma of smoke and pepper. good mouthfeel, not too thin, but a slight dryness. flavor has a wonderful smoke up front with a clean spicy finish. good malt flavors linger in the background with a subtle sweetness. not much hop character to speak of, with the peppers and all. fantastic beer. the smoke flavor is great, and from what i understand, it's all from the smoked peppers, no smoked malt. one of my all time favorite beverages (486 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a brownish-orange color with a small cream-colored head. Even just from looking at it, I can tell the carbonation is really vigorous. Not the most attractive color.

Smell: The spiciness isn't as pronounced as you'd think, though it's definitely there. The most prominent smell is clearly smoke. I'm not getting any hops or malt.

Taste: It's like sticking your head in a chimney. So much smokiness and spiciness that it can easily become overwhelming. Personally, while I can appreciate how different this brew is, I'm not sure if I enjoy it.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Ever had a shot of hot sauce? Did you enjoy the lingering taste in your mouth? If not, this might not be the beer for you. In terms of drinkability, I'm not sure if I can even finish one.

I'm confused. I had this beer a year or two ago and I don't remember it being anywhere near this overwhelming. Maybe I got a bad batch? I have no idea. (932 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

This is a great flavored beer. I've had a few chili pepper inspired beers in the past and usually they are over the top. This one is right on. You get a nice and very distinct chipotle flavor. That said it doesn't overpower the nice clean underlying ale. This would be a great beer to mix in to a tasting due to its distinctness. I had it paired with some local cheeses and it was fantastic. This isn't an every night beer but a great one to mix it up a bit. (458 characters)

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales