1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Rogue Ten Thousand Brew Ale (Brew 10,000) - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ten Thousand Brew Ale (Brew 10,000)Rogue Ten Thousand Brew Ale (Brew 10,000)

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Brew 10,000: One Brewer, Eighteen Years, Ten-Thousand Batches of Beer. Brew 10,000 is not so much a style of beer, rather it is a new recipe using some of the best ingredients John Maier has ever brewed with... Vienna, French Special Aroma, and Maris Otter Pale Malts; Yakima Summit and German Saphir Hops, Free-range Coastal Waters, and PacMan Yeast. 83 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-24-2007)

Beertracker, Dec 01, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +21.7%

A: Poured bottle into favorite Trappist glass. Big bubbly ecru head that 4 fingers that mellows down very slowly and laces perfectly. The head sticks around for you. Cloudy amber golden color. Its cloudy like a wheat beer.

S: Awesome cedar hoppy lemony smell, and just a nice fresh earthy greenhouse smell. Very fragrant.

T: Malty at first with the nice heat of the alcohol, but not too strong. Then the quick bite of hopps. Floral citrusy, with a roasted carmel malty taste, that finishes super dry.

M: Feels very well bodied. Warming.

D: I think this beer is pretty damn good. I love the dry bitterness, and the quick warmth of it as it flushes your face. Its a bit high in alcohol, but it is an awesome dinner beer. A+ to John Maier!

baos, Aug 02, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +20.5%

1 pint, 10 fl oz. ceramic swing-top bottle marked "December 2006."

Pours a rich, hazy amber color with a creamy head that quickly reduces to a foamy film of clingy bubbles.

The nose is full of hops, sweet and sticky, with more than a touch of alcohol. The first taste is delicious - clean, crisp, and bitter, with rich, piney hops through and through. It leaves the mouth clean and dry, without any heavy aftertaste.

This intoxicating brew is clean and potent -- easy sipping for a hop head like me, but rich and round in the mouth as well. A supreme effort from Rogue for their 10,000th brew.

RockyTopHeel, Mar 13, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +20.5%

I first tasted this on tap at Gravity Head at Rich O's about a month ago. I had to have a bottle. Or six.

Pours a woody looking orange. Smells of spicy and piney hops, slight hint of citrus, but it is slight.

This beer is deliciously hoppy. A little hint of citrus appears, only to be crushed by dry, sappy, piney hops. I know, dry and sappy seem to contradict each other, but first the hops are dry, then sappy, then dry, then... you get the picture. The malt is basically the bumper that prevents this hop-train from becoming a trainwreck. But I have a feeling that this beer will age gracefully.

This beer is lively on the palate, and oily at the same time. This is like my vision of a European Double IPA.

Sephiroth, Apr 11, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

From Fatheads, natch. Saw the listing on their site and ran right out to get a couple.

Poured into a 12oz wine glass due to the high ABV. No head, but thats due to the pour, and I can't fault that because it gave me more fluid to enjoy. No real lacing either. Cloudy amber with solid carbonation. Looks good but not great.

Aroma of flowers and crisp, toasted malt. Sweet but not unpleasantly so.

Taste: A solid fruit-based hoppiness over a solid malt foundation. Well rounded. Pleasantly bitter at the end but no aftertaste. Clean.

Nice, round mouthfeel without being overly filling. Drinks like water (in a good way), which is to say very session-like. Smooth, easy to drink, leaves you wanting more. And the 10% alcohol level is flat-out unnoticeable. It would be easy to put away 4 or 5 before realizing what you've done. Leaves a nice warmth in the belly once finished.

Bottom line: this is a spectacular beer. Period. Nothing "Extreme" about it, except for the quality. Go get one while you can.

rabsten, Feb 26, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +19.3%

AWESOME, OVERWHELMING, IRRESISTIBLE, BREATHTAKING, OUT OF THIS WORLD, MAGNIFICENT, SUPERB, GLORIUS, BRILLIANT, MARVELOUS, GRAND, SPLENDID, MOUTH-WATERING, AMAZING, REMARKABLE.

This is a top Ten Beer in my book so far. I am not to convinced of the style they claim. But who cares it is something special and one of the highest marks I have given a beer so far. For all the techincial aspects read other reveiws I must have another taste. And Rouge why would you not brew this again and again and again. I'll buy the whole next batch myself. Later

TheChauffeur1, Feb 20, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured this 26 oz. ceramic bottle into a Samuel Adams BL shaped glass. Bottle dated December 2006. The body was golden amber witha faint haze. The heart, frothy head reached 3+ fingers. The head was an off-yellow, beige in color.

Smell was flowery and sweet upon opening. Bready. Alcohol and tropical fruits developed later. Interesting and complex.

Taste reflected the aromas. Caramel sweet up front, however, there was a major shift toward a sizzling (but restrained) bitterness. An oily, zippy, flavorful bittering finish. The alcohol was very well hidden. This one was very drinkable.

Mouthfeel was full to medium in body. Mild to moderate carbonation. Tongue tingling, literally. A rewarding experience.

Cresant, Aug 02, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

This is one hell of a brew. I did a trade just for this brew and I had high expectations going in, and my expectations were still blown away on the goodness of this brew. Cool ceramic bottle with swing top, just an overall great brew that makes me want to swim in a pool of hops.

The appearance is great. It is considered a double IPA so it is very murky, which goes along very well with the deep golden color. Really a great looking head also. This came out in 2006 and when I poured it out it came to a three finger frothy sticky head that came down to a one finger head for the rest of the session. Really sticky and creamy, leaving a great thick lace that plastered my glass.

The smell is great. What I love about good brew is complexity, and this brew had a great deal of complexity for an DIPA. RIS have good complexity, but when a hoppy brew can have multiple layers and complex your nostril and taste buds, well that is something to get excited about. The first smell that you receive is a hop multi-characteristic, that just blows my mind. They must of used several different types of hops in this brew because it just gets different layers of citrus, bitterness hops, vanilla, honey, and a crisp alcoholic flavoring that is just amazing.

The taste goes along with the smell on terms of greatness. Really hoppy, which is something you would expect. Great mouthfeel that goes along with the great taste. This is how the entire experience goes, you go in for the drink and the aroma just rushes your face. The smell gets you instantly salivating, which helps with the taste because the bitterness on the palate is amazing. Something that is really desirable. The tongue just dances with excitement because it not only punches your palate to a bloody pulp but your tongue gets dry after the brew gets swallowed. This would be a new go-to beer if the stuff was brewed more than once. Maybe with enough e-mails we can get it brewed again. Overall amazing brew.

J

Jmoore50, Feb 07, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured a nice golden amber color, good carbonation with a little creamy tan head that clinged to the glass. ThAroma is malty, hoppy, nice touch of citrus and pines, there is some caramel notes as well. At first the flavor was slightly sweet followed by the big hops and malts come to play, good notes of citrus/pines. The finish is bitter and dry, very tasty. Medium body. Very drinkable. I have had this in bottle as well, but definately preferred draft.

tdrshayden, Jun 13, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +16%

Big hop aroma with hints of pine and a lot of citrus. Spicy resin hop aroma too. Underneath is a good base malt aroma with some darker caramel malts too.

Orange colored and perfectly clear. Smallish but very persistent head with some lacing. Light delicate carbonation bubbles rising around the glass. Nothing at all to knock down from the look of it.

Very interesting, on first taste it seems overly hop bitter but once my palate got used to it there's a big malt profile with lots of caramel flavors that begins to seem dominant. There's a little diacetyl too which is just enough to make it complex and reminds me of some of the best British ESBs. But make no mistake, there's a big hop bitterness and really nice floral hop and spicy hop flavor too. The more of it I drink, the more I really love the balanced malt/hop profile that includes good fruity yeast fermentation, big malt and huge hops. Really a great overall flavor profile.

Nice big body but the carbonation seems a little on the light side but that's a minor complaint. I think the light carbonation actually helps as the co2 level doesn't wash away the flavor.

It's a big beer but it doesn't overwhelm. I really like the balance of it even though it has enough hop kick to please the hop heads. The more I had of it the more I thought it was a hopped up imperial Dead Guy maybe.

czechsaaz, May 30, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +16%

Ceramic 750 that is crowned and has a swing top. The last one from Merchant's in Dearborn. Poured into a tulip.

Honey like amber under an inch of white that slowly receds to a thin layer. Nice ringed lace effect.

The hop aromas are upfront with some pine and spice. Suggestions of citrus and juniper. The malts are sweet but not overly assertive. Very nice balance to the hop aromas. A hint of wood in the back.

Not the hop bomb I was expecting. The malts have a unique sweet to spicy thing going on upfront, then the spices go up a notch as the hops kick in. The piney and citric notes come through with a perfect transition from the spice flavors. Herbal and floral with just enough west coast hop characteristics to remind me that this is indeed a Rogue. Very juicy to hoppy finish into a slightly warm finish.

This is one of those beers that makes me think of what an english interpretation of the american DIPA would taste like. Arcadia Hopmouth is another.

The mouth is right in line for the style and has the right amount of carbonation. Dangerously drinkable, even at $23 a bottle.

ypsifly, Mar 15, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +16%

Got the below in an email from FatHeads. Went there last night for a sample. Poured by a barkeep into a chalice/long snifter. The head was thin comming in at about 250 mils. Nose was a bit floral from the hops but somewhat subdued by the hearty malt bill. Smelled like Briess to me, with some grassy hops thrown in late in fermentation.

This was the first double IPA of the night so it was nice and harsh. A few sips in and the malt presence came through to balance the bite from the hops. Tasted a bit grassy and citrus like, maybe some grapefruit rind, magnum hops, maybe more magnum, and some more magnum.

Nice and smooth feel in the tongue well balanced carbonation for the double. Not fizzy or flat but balanced nice.

I could have and probably should have had another.

FROM FATHEADS
Master brewer John Maier has brewed his 10,000th batch. John's brewed his first batch of Rogue Ales in a garage on the Yaquina Bayfront in Newport, Oregon, on May 18, 1989. In the 18 years since he created and brewed 60-plus beers. To
brew this beer he used Vienna, French special aroma and Maris Otter pale malts; Yakima Summit and German Saphir hops; the top-fermenting Pacman yeast; and as always free range coastal waters. This beer really has no particular style.
It's basically an American strong ale that is like a combination of a double IPA and a barley wine. They only brewed 100 barrels of this beer and we were fortunate enogh to get one 1/2 barrel. The only one in Western PA. So enjoy it while it lasts. 10% abv

dawg, Feb 24, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours an effervescent amber/orange with 4+ fingers of sand- colored head. Great lacing & good head retention

S: Earthy hops & a little bit of pine, plus citric hops

T: Bready malt & earthy/pine hops + warming booze up front. Pine resin follows along with caramel, some orange peel & cakeyness. Earthy & piney hops, orange peels, brown sugar, a little booze & more cakeyness are all over the finish, like ugly on an ape!

MF: Chewbacca chewyness with medium carbonation& loads of oilyness

Drinks very easy for the abv, great treat for my backyard camp out with my boys (60 degrees out now) . Don't understand the pricing, although I enjoyed this, can't see me paying near this much ($20 for 750-800 ml) of this again. Better DIPAs out the for half-1/3rd the price

russpowell, Jun 17, 2007
4.68/5  rDev +15.6%

A: Pours a creamy hazy murky copper color with a decent amount of head. Lingers like a good Double IPA should. Texture looks thick and sticky. I would love to dive headfirst into this one.

S: Wow! After smelling this, I am not so sure that I believe that this is a Double IPA. Unbelievably complex. I make out a strong pale malt presence that balances the hops. Hops are piney and muted. The spices are really what does it for me here. Vanilla is definitely something I didn't expect, and it mixes beautifully with a n aroma of honey. The smell is surprisingly sweet, way too much so for a DIPA.

T: Taste follows the smell, for the most part, but the hops are surprisingly evident for only 60 IBUs. Caramel malts also come through and enhance the flavor. Vanilla is much more evident here than in the smell, and jacks the complexity factor through the roof as it mixes with the citrusy hops.

M/D: I wish I had more of these, and I wish they weren't all 10% alcohol. Because I would drink them all night. I wanna rush out and grab all the rest of these from my favorite bottle shop, just to make sure I have more of these to turn to in the future. Delightfully carbonated with a thick sticky and creamy texture that does not disappoint. One of my favorite beers to date.

NittanyBeerFan, Mar 22, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Wow, I cannot begin to descibe the excitement I had to try this one. From the day I read about it coming out I knew this would be one for me. Then I saw the picks for the bottle, and holy schnikes, one of the best bottle creations I have ever seen. Then I heard about the price, set me back a little, but you know what I was still determined to get my hands on one. So as soon as it came out I began scouring my stores up in North Carolina, as we had still not popped the cap at that time, but I just could not find any. It seemed as soon as they came in they were gone. SO I call up my buddies at Bruisin Ales and managed to secure one of the last left/ A big Thank You has to go out to Julie and Jason for helping me secure this one. This is one big bad ceramic piece here, and the artwork was just fantastic. I had it sitting in my fridge just waiting for the right moment or special occasion to open. That just never came, so I just went for it last night, figured what the hell and popped the cap on it....and away we go...

Poured a very hazy orange amber, great tone on this . Lots of visible carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass gave it a lively, albeit hazy appearence. A nice one inch white frothy head formed immediatly and took its sweet old time in coming down. What was left was a gooey stick mess of film stretching accross the top of the glass, yummy. Lace streaked down the sides of the glass, and by the end of the session had almost completly obscured the insides of the glass with its rings of lacey white. Now this just looked great. It was very full looking and just seemed like it meant business. Looked like I would want a strong hoppy beer to look, just the best orange amber haziness that makes one so damn great. Would have given a 5 here for a little bit bigger of a head, but needs to get that honerable mention.

Now for the smell, and what a beauty it was. Very strong pungent bitter smell, this one nearly knocked me over! Very strong citus notes, lemon, orange, tangerine and grapefruit were the most obvious at first. A little bit later the sugary notes started to percolate through and gave it a sweet but yet completly knock you down bitterness. The hoppiness was extremely fresh, I mean it wouldnt have suprised me if they were still attached to the damn vine. Overall a very pleasing aroma, very fresh and just over the top in hops. I didn't really detect any of the copious malt amounts that were supposed to have been in it. I am sure they were there just not evident in the nose.

So, the time has come for the first sip on this one. Wow, really set me back as soon as it hit the mouth. Super fresh cut hops. I mean thick, and gooey with resin. Will go with the feel first. Crisp, clean, and sticky. This was silky smooth going down, and had a very finish quality to the feel. Light not too thick, but it made you lips stick to your teeth from the resin that was inside. Great carbonation really helped the flavors come through. Not too oily or watered down either, very nice. The flavors were just fantastic. Big bouguet of hoppy goodness would be the best way to decribe it. Lots of citrus, orange peel, grapefruit, a touch of lemon, some tangerine maybe as well. Very fresh, you could really taste the freshness and I think I took that away from it most of all. There was a noticeable amount of sugar mixed in to try and balance out some of the bitterness, and it worked to an extant, however this still retained alot of the hop bomb charecteristics to it. Really just a great, full, west coast IPA type taste. Just what I would have expected from a bottle featuring a man covered in hops!

Overall what can I say, this was really very nice. Did it live up to my expectations, absolutly. I had wanted this to be a rich, complex, hoppy dream, and that it was. My only critique would be where are all those complex malts that were advertised? I didn't really see this as balanced as it could have been, but I am not complaining at all. I really did like this, unfortunatly at $20+ a bottle, I would not be able to get another, even if I could find one, they are long gone from everywhere around here. But if you have the cash I would definatly recommend seeking this one out if you can. This is a very nice brew indeed. On a side note, the bottle is worth a few dollars easily and that should factor in. This is a collector bottle if I have ever seen one. Very well done, and heavy as hell. Would love to see some more limited releases, like the JLS's put out in bottles for a short time, would make for some intresting times.

mikesgroove, Jul 09, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

The beer poured a slightly cloudy light amber color with a thin white head that didn';t hang around long. Aroma was herbal and a bit alcoholic. Hints of citrus and other fruits were detectable as well.

I'm in love. Unlike so many DIPAs that try to whack you over the head with hops and malts, this beer goes for subtle elegance. A slight herbal hop flavor is present at first, but is perfectly balanced by a moderate malt backbone. As the beer warms, there is a slight alcohol tingle in the finish, but it compliments the brew nicely. Every sip was a delight, it was smooth, rich, and stern. It is pricey, but I will admit that Rogue seems to have saved their best beer for 10,000th. If there's beer in heaven, this will be on tap.

BBM, Apr 18, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance: Cloudy orange, good carbonation. About an inch of head. Lots of lacing. Good head retention also.

Smell: Excellent, beautiful, lasting hoppiness worthy of Rogue and a celbratory beer. Citrusy, piney, grapefruit. A little sweet but the hops were oh so fresh. Very nice. Made me want to just stuff a handfull of hops in my mouth to stop the watering.

Taste: Well I got what I asked for, a mouthfull of hops! Sort of thick hoppy flavor dominated. High on the grapefruit with a little sweetness. The malt is there if you really look for it, I dont think they could have added enough to battle against the hops though without creating a mess.

Overall: Drinkable for me, but I LOVE hops. A little high on the ABV to be an easy drinking brew but I think I could suffer through drinking the whole bottle myself any day.

nriech, Aug 03, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +14.3%

Now, I used to be the person who never liked IPA's. I could drink high abv beers, like Trippels, , double bocks, and imperial stouts. Then a friend got me one of these for my birthday, and honestly, consider me converted to the church of the Double IPA.

The beer poured a really creamy head, along with a great yellowish color. The scent hit me right our of the bottle, as it was herbally and alcoholic.

The beer's flavor reminded me of other IPA's that I have had, but it was smoother, yet had a harder hit with the higher alcohol. When i first started drinking it, it was a little harsh on the palette, but as it warmed up, the beer got sweeter and tastier.

I loved this beer, and it really opened me up to IPA's...the only negative I could think of is that I can't get another bottle. Cheers!

KingPuuChuu, Mar 21, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

The overall presentation of this product is world class, a heavy 750 ml ceramic bottle with a swing top enclosure. As for the beer, mine was bottled in Dec. 2006 and I finally opened the Oct. 2007. This beer ages well, I am excited to sit on a few remaining bottles to see how well it ages over time.

Pours a rich and ruddy dark hazy amber color with little head retention. Cloudy at first but clears up as it warms up a bit.

Spicy hops on the nose with a slightly sweet winter fruit flavor at first fading into a warm mouthfeel and slightly bitter aftertaste.

This beer cannot be put into any one category (nor should it be). It's a special beer for a special occasion. Congrats to Rogue and John Maier for pulling off over 10,000 batches of great beer! Yummy!

JohnY, Oct 19, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +13.1%

On-tap at Ashley's for $4 a pint! A bit better deal than the ceramic collectible methinks.

Bright copper body with an amberish middle and golden edges. Clean and clear, with a small, off-white head. Nose is rife with spicy cookie malts, butterscotch and fruit. This malt is balanced nicely by a complex bouquet of floral, herbal, and citrus hops. Very nice! Taste follows suit: solid, spicy malt backing behind assertive, but not overwhelming hop bitterness. There are butterscotch and caramel notes to be found before the complex hop flavor takes over the finish. Medium-full bodied with a creamy feel. Very drinkable for its strength too! After two pints I didn't know what hit me!

Better than I was even expecting and maybe even worth $25 a bottle!

alexgash, Mar 23, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Rogue certainly needs no excuse to come up with a special beer. After 18 years, 10,000 brew sessions, and one international legacy of acclaim, I’d say they pretty well know their stuff.

But as if they needed one more jewel in their crown, this is it. Brew 10,000 is a velvet smooth pale ale ultraquaff with a light tinge of something piney (spruce? juniper?). Its contours are frail and somewhat flowery. I’m told it dwells in the neighborhood of 10% ABV and 83 IBU, but it’s smoothness and delicacy makes that a stretch to believe. The cask version is somewhere between spun gold and liquid silk. I drank my first pint much faster than I usually do and immediately ordered a second. Pure bliss.

RedDiamond, Mar 12, 2007

JohneHoodlum, Dec 06, 2011

afsdan, May 22, 2014

DLucky, Sep 04, 2013
4.45/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Upon seeing this on a shelf in Kappy's and being mesmerized by the bottle (and a little stunned by the price), I decided to try it. Afterall, it was Rogue, 10,000th brew, and a killer bottle. How could you go wrong?

You certainly couldn't, and Rogue certainly didn't. This was an excellent beer - now if only they'd release it in a more affordable package, I would buy more of it. Definitely impressed by the presentation of the bottle, though you do have to wonder how much it adds to the price. And now... on to the beer.

Pours a nice copper with a decent thick head of foam. Smell is hops - pine and citrus are the main scents, but others are mixed in. Taste is excellent, start to finish. The hops provide a solid bite, but are well balanced by a bit of a malty sweetness. Aftertaste is smooth with the hops coming back and leaving a pleasant feel. Mouthfeel is good... medium body and decent carbonation. Not too thin or syrupy.

Drinkability for me would be high except for the price tag. I could definitely see this fitting nicely into my usual rotation of IPAs and double IPAs.

YonderWanderer, Jul 17, 2007