Rogue Ten Thousand Brew Ale (Brew 10,000) - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ten Thousand Brew Ale (Brew 10,000)Rogue Ten Thousand Brew Ale (Brew 10,000)

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Brew 10,000: One Brewer, Eighteen Years, Ten-Thousand Batches of Beer. Brew 10,000 is not so much a style of beer, rather it is a new recipe using some of the best ingredients John Maier has ever brewed with... Vienna, French Special Aroma, and Maris Otter Pale Malts; Yakima Summit and German Saphir Hops, Free-range Coastal Waters, and PacMan Yeast. 83 IBU

(Beer added by: Todd on 02-24-2007)
3.25/5  rDev -19.8%

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

brandoman63, Nov 29, 2011

JAHMUR, Nov 23, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -4.2%

I just found this 2006 beer on a shelf. I thought it had been opened. BONUS for me!

fliptop bottle into nonic

A: golden brown to amber, beautiful off-white lacing with very fine carbonation

S: citrus, sharp grassy notes, dark bready notes, slightly medicinal

T: grassy, citrus rind, rye bread,

M: I wish it were a bit more carbonated, but very smooth and slightly drying

O: I wish I had notes from when it was a lil' younger, but this is fine and heady brew

waldoiverson, Mar 26, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dan was kind enough to share this at the Most Epic Fucking Tasting You Wish You Were A Part Of. Thanks!

The pour is clear orange with a dense beige head. Retention is OK and lacing, moderate. The nose is dominated by just an incredible amount of caramel and pine. There's some citrus as well. This is very barleywine-like, but does not smell its age. A touch of alcohol is noticeable, as is some toffee. The palate opens with big caramel candy sweetness with some pine and citrus bitterness. That the bitterness has held up as well as it has is pretty impressive. Hops are faintly oxidized with a touch of cheeziness, barely perceptible. Finishing moderately sweet with a lingering bitterness and a little alcohol, this medium bodied beer has a moderate level of carbonation. Decent stuff, I'd like to have tried it fresher.

DefenCorps, Mar 29, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a semi-cloudy orangeish yellow with about a half inch of white head that had average retention and lacing.

Solid hop aromas, mostly citrus with some pine, but seemed subdued, perhaps due to age. The flavors followed along but the hops seemed to add just bittering instead of the flavors that were originally there.

The body was pleasingly solid. Drinkability was good, perhaps the age made it even a little more drinkable than when fresh. I would have liked to try this when it was new. As it is, it's still a decent beer.

beertunes, Dec 25, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Notes taken from September 2008:

Gorgeous, black ceramic bottle with the head brewer of Rogue raising a glass of salute for 10,000 brews...

This bottle intrigued me, so despite the price tag, I broke down and bought a bottle at Party Source in northern Kentucky.

Poured a murky, golden brown with a superb, three finger, frothy, nasty and sticky head. I can't think of a better looking beer - let's give this a 5!

The nose is HUGE! Orange blossoms, resinous pine all sitting behind a wonderfully complex, caramel filled malt backbone.

Dry and blistering hops take the forefront in this beer. Behind the wave of fruit and pine there's a solid, complex malt foundation. Well rounded and highly drinkable. Having had a great deal of IPA's before this, I found it pleasantly bitter at the end but no aftertaste.

Rogue should make this less expensive (in regular brown bottles) and make it readily available! :)

beachbum1975, Jul 05, 2009
4.68/5  rDev +15.6%

A: Pours a creamy hazy murky copper color with a decent amount of head. Lingers like a good Double IPA should. Texture looks thick and sticky. I would love to dive headfirst into this one.

S: Wow! After smelling this, I am not so sure that I believe that this is a Double IPA. Unbelievably complex. I make out a strong pale malt presence that balances the hops. Hops are piney and muted. The spices are really what does it for me here. Vanilla is definitely something I didn't expect, and it mixes beautifully with a n aroma of honey. The smell is surprisingly sweet, way too much so for a DIPA.

T: Taste follows the smell, for the most part, but the hops are surprisingly evident for only 60 IBUs. Caramel malts also come through and enhance the flavor. Vanilla is much more evident here than in the smell, and jacks the complexity factor through the roof as it mixes with the citrusy hops.

M/D: I wish I had more of these, and I wish they weren't all 10% alcohol. Because I would drink them all night. I wanna rush out and grab all the rest of these from my favorite bottle shop, just to make sure I have more of these to turn to in the future. Delightfully carbonated with a thick sticky and creamy texture that does not disappoint. One of my favorite beers to date.

NittanyBeerFan, Mar 22, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +19.3%

AWESOME, OVERWHELMING, IRRESISTIBLE, BREATHTAKING, OUT OF THIS WORLD, MAGNIFICENT, SUPERB, GLORIUS, BRILLIANT, MARVELOUS, GRAND, SPLENDID, MOUTH-WATERING, AMAZING, REMARKABLE.

This is a top Ten Beer in my book so far. I am not to convinced of the style they claim. But who cares it is something special and one of the highest marks I have given a beer so far. For all the techincial aspects read other reveiws I must have another taste. And Rouge why would you not brew this again and again and again. I'll buy the whole next batch myself. Later

TheChauffeur1, Feb 20, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

This is one hell of a brew. I did a trade just for this brew and I had high expectations going in, and my expectations were still blown away on the goodness of this brew. Cool ceramic bottle with swing top, just an overall great brew that makes me want to swim in a pool of hops.

The appearance is great. It is considered a double IPA so it is very murky, which goes along very well with the deep golden color. Really a great looking head also. This came out in 2006 and when I poured it out it came to a three finger frothy sticky head that came down to a one finger head for the rest of the session. Really sticky and creamy, leaving a great thick lace that plastered my glass.

The smell is great. What I love about good brew is complexity, and this brew had a great deal of complexity for an DIPA. RIS have good complexity, but when a hoppy brew can have multiple layers and complex your nostril and taste buds, well that is something to get excited about. The first smell that you receive is a hop multi-characteristic, that just blows my mind. They must of used several different types of hops in this brew because it just gets different layers of citrus, bitterness hops, vanilla, honey, and a crisp alcoholic flavoring that is just amazing.

The taste goes along with the smell on terms of greatness. Really hoppy, which is something you would expect. Great mouthfeel that goes along with the great taste. This is how the entire experience goes, you go in for the drink and the aroma just rushes your face. The smell gets you instantly salivating, which helps with the taste because the bitterness on the palate is amazing. Something that is really desirable. The tongue just dances with excitement because it not only punches your palate to a bloody pulp but your tongue gets dry after the brew gets swallowed. This would be a new go-to beer if the stuff was brewed more than once. Maybe with enough e-mails we can get it brewed again. Overall amazing brew.

J

Jmoore50, Feb 07, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +8.1%

Figured two years aught to do it for this one. Don't know how it's considered a double IPA at only 60 IBUs but OK anyway. Cap popped off and when I turned to get my glass I found a volcano spewing from the bottle. Sweet, still fresh. After I spent some time cleaning up the ensuing mess, I had a beer to pour. Pours cloudy golden brown with a reasonable head. Mostly sweet malt in the aroma reminding me of an aged barleywine. Flavor is more reminiscent of a barleywine as well, some hops left but stale. Malt profile rules at this point more of an american strong than a DIPA. Sweetness if the aroma. I like it although at this point the stale hops seem to interfere with some of the malt character. Some say this is past it's prime where I say it's in a weird middle ground where the hops have faded but a beautiful malt profile is starting to show through. Another year maybe two might bring it out more. Past it's prime if you were actually expecting hops, but even 6 months, heck you could argue 6 days would be past it's prime for that. Once again this is not a DIPA, at this point the remaining hops take away from this beer. From previous reviews I was expecting a disaster. It's far from one but maybe because I only paid 11 bucks for my bottle. Very drinkable.

mbrasi, Jan 18, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -14.1%

Age is starting to show on this beer. It is very tasty with wonderful grapefruit hop flavor and good biscuit malt flavor. But, the aroma has some cardboard characteristic and is pretty uninspiring now. Also, oxidation has affected the flavor detrimentally. But, it has a wonderful complex finish and lingering aftertaste that begs for more sips. The alcohol is warming and not hot. The mouthfeel is big and smooth and warm. Overall, I wish I had this fresh when the hops were more prevalent and O2 hadn't sunk in yet. But, it's still very enjoyable.

beersabound, Dec 19, 2008