Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,885 | Reviews: 2,377

Rogue Dead Guy Ale

pours a beautiful amber color with a off white head a cloudy beer

smells of mandarin orange, grains of paradise, a cluster of fruit and hops.

tastes of oranges, grains, and vanilla on the back.

excellent mouth feel bubbles everywhere full feeling

Love at first taste, i love this fuckin beer!, i love it so much that i would buy a case of 22 ounce bombers to keep in the house.
i wasn't sure about it at first with all the sediment floating around in the bottle, this is shockingly delicious.

My favorite beer hands down. Maibock/Helles Bock - It's just phenomenal. I'm just a weekend beer drinker who loves to try new craft beers and I haven't had anything better than Dead Guy Ale. I just wish it was a little cheaper! Cheers!

This is by far my most favorite beer to drink on any occasion. The price can be a little steep but have a growler I can refill that makes it reasonable. It is not available at enough places, I have to go out of my way to find it. This beer on draught has no competition.

A: Pours a light copper with a dense head that is white with a slight orange tint in appearance that leaves very little lacing on the glass.

S: A very sweet malty aroma with a spiced aroma and hops in the background.

T&M: Tons of sweet malts initially that are then strongly bittered by spicy hops midway before giving way to a balanced, lightly drying finish.
A very intriguing flavor progression on the palate. It's medium bodied with a spicy hoppiness present in the flavor profile.

D: Everyday...Love it. The higher abv content makes it good for me.

Serving type: tap

Probably my favorite beer ever. I've gone through 6 jugs from Costco the past several weeks. Expensive but worth it.

Top beer, very very good

Healthy, tenacious head of copper and cream color. The liquid is reddish gold. The color is so vibrant it looks like a light source of its own. A nose of baklava (honey, phyllo, roasted pistachios) dirty laundry and guava. Dense and tropical. Silky creamy texture that reveals delicate shadings of melon, tropical blooms, hops, strawberries, new paint, ... I can't get over how solid it feels...like heavy cream...and how bright and clean it is on the palate. The finish lasts and lasts. You can drink more than one of these, easy!

I liked this beer a lot. Hands down my favorite beer I've ever had to date. It was great. Good balanced flavor, not too strong. A great surprise from an unexpected candidate. A perfectly sessionable beer. I think beers like this among many others are starting to convince me I'ma big fan of the unique craft beers that don't get enough credit.

There's nothing I can say about this Beer that hasn't already been said in any of the other reviews. The only thing i can contribute is my personal story that goes along with this wonderful brew.

I never really had a taste for beer until college, and of course that was filled with nights of Keystone Light and Miller Light. I, in no way am slamming these beers they do serve there purpose, and I am not such a beer snob I would ever refuse any of these when given to me. What I'm trying to say is this is all I knew.

That is until I enrolled in the Cloverleaf Taverns MBA (Master of Beer Appreciation) program. 45 beers on a list, gift cards, t-shirt and name on the wall. That was good enough for me I figured I'd give it a shot. Never did I expect to gain such an appreciation and knowledge for beer as I do now.When I completed the list my palate was eager to learn more and try new and exciting beers.

Which brings me to Rouge Dead Guy. This beer will always hold a special place in my heart (and belly) as one of the first beers to show me how good consumption of liquids could be. Many nights I have spent at the Leaf with many pints of this wonderful beverage. With its warm honey glow and caramel smell. It will get you to where your want to go in less time but not get you to blitzed before you get there.

Springtime is the perfect time to enjoy this hearty, rich maibock that has a dryer, richer, more hoppy experience. Its a great transition from the heavy beers of winter to the lighter ones of summer. Hell I drink this all year round. So sit back and enjoy this wonderful brew.

this is a maibock, not an ale. has a cloudy orange apearance and a saaz hop aroma. wonderfully balanced and is delicious. warm alcohol finish to boot. this is one helluva maibock. slides down so smooth, it's scary.

Appearance: Beautiful opaque red body with white smallish head. 4
smell: Sweet malty creamy, soft whole grain bread like aroma. 4.5
taste: Medium hops that gently grow. Initially lightly sweet and some light caramel. Sweet without being cloying in anyway. Dry due to the hopiness, but balanced so well. Reading the other reviews, I have to wonder why I got it backwards. Most taste bitter then sweet, but I definitely taste malty sweetness with the bitterness slowly coming out.
mouthfeel: micro bubbles on a round medium body.
drinkability: The sweetness and bitterness is balanced is beautifully. Amazing.

This is the sweetest juice of god. It has a beautiful deep golden amber color. Shimmering with deliciousness. Aroma is of bold malts wrapped in a loving bouquet of hops. I do not catch any of the fruit other see, but this has the rich warm qualities of fresh baked bread. A firm hop back bone, that make me glad I was born. The creamy smooth mouthfeel is liquid silk.

This one took me a little while to get into. At first, I did not like it at all. The only reason I even tried it again was because it was the only beer available one night when I got off work. My roommate had the fridge stocked with Dead Guy, so I had a couple with him and it slowly started to grow on me. When I went to the Rogue brewery in Newport (I used to live in Oregon) and had it on tap, I was hooked. Now, it's one of my favorites. The only thing I do not like about it now is how damn expensive it is, especially here in New York (where I have lived for about seven years now).

Overall, I enjoy the dark flavor of Dead Guy and do not find it at all bitter. It is a good balance of flavor similar to a light porter but with the complexity of a stout (when had on tap). Warning: once it begins to get warm, the flavor turns on you and it becomes very unpleasant. I find all Rogue ales are better had cold.

P - 22 oz bottle 2 color printed, no freshness date.

A - golden honey color with creamy light tan head, sticky to runny lacing.

S - nectar like sweetness.

T - very sweet at first, followed by light hop bitterness. excellent overall flavor.

M - moderately carbonated, smooth and slightly creamy.

D - keep em coming. enjoy

Notes - My first Maibock, interestingly called an Ale yet classed under a German lager....

Overall this truly is one of the best beers around. "Dead Guy" is a perfect balance of malt and hops. It's sweet without being syrupy and hoppy without the aggressive bitter edge. A full bodied ale that is so very drinkable all day long. It pares well with hearty sandwiches and burgers as well as with a good sharp Cheddar and Dry Genoa salami. I wait all year for this tasty beer and it never fails to meet my expectations. I love you Rogue
brewery!

I come back to this every time as my favorite.

4.94/5  rDev +25.1%

My all time favorite beer

4.94/5  rDev +25.1%

Finally rewarded myself w/this & while not earth shattering, it was definitely worth it. Great look: swirled red in the middle surrounded by cloudy gold, holding tons of flavor bursts, I'd recommend it anytime!

4.93/5  rDev +24.8%

Awesome beer. Think I found my new favorite. Smooth smooth taste.

4.93/5  rDev +24.8%

One of my favorite beers

4.92/5  rDev +24.6%

Awesome beer really light and refreshing for how heavy it is.

4.9/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The bottle, of course gets homebrew points for being reusable. I definitely give an extra few tenths of a point for bottle and design. Both of which are excellent. May they never change it!

The beer pours a beautiful hazy (chill haze, poured it cold) deep orange/amber with an amber/tan one finger head that stays throughout the drink as a full ring and Friar Tuck cap in the center of tiny silky bubbles mixed with a few larger bubbles. Lacing is very apparent with sticky looking disorganized archways.

The aroma is centered around citrus, whether it be citrus hops or actual orange and lemon, it's there with a nice sweet caramel base to it. There are some hop floral notes as well and maybe a bit of breadiness. Very faint.

Wow! The taste! There is a good reason that this is a world class beer! It's two major constituents, sweet and bitter are so very well balanced that it allows for the minor flavours such as citrus, caramel and some yeasty banana to play a hand in making you fall in love with this beer. And to tell the truth, all these flavours play on your tongue equally throughout the sip from start to finish, one never dominating the other until only at the end when there is some mild dry hop bitterness. I think the slightly above moderate amount of carbonation is what really pulls this off. It's truly a beer drinking experience to behold.

Mouthfeel. Silky, creamy and sweet with a just-under mid range body to it making it thin enough to session and not get overly tired of any one character like sweetness. EXCELLENT! The amount of carbonation is moderate yet a little lively and really lends to helping bring all these flavors and aromas to your senses.

Overall I am going to have to give it a 4.75 out of 5. I don't know what a 5 would be, I haven't tried it yet and I'm banking that this may be an actual 5, but I'm new to this and don't have the experience to give out 5's.

All that I really have to say that if you don't try this beer, you don't know what you are missing and it needs to be on your bucket list! Thank you Rogue! Now get out there and drink some different drinks! Mix it up, but stop drinking f@cking Jaeger Bombs and drink good beer! Life is short enough, don't make it even shorter drinking that complete garbage!

4.9/5  rDev +24.1%

First review...

4.89/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

One of my favorite beers.

4.89/5  rDev +23.8%

this beer is one that ranks up thier at the top of my list...one of my all time favorite beer,,i can arcoss the beer by sure happenstance...i was in the outer banks and was at a huge beer store and could not decide what to get,i saw the bottle out of the coner of my eye,,why not,,,once i got back to the room and opened it i was hooked right away,,it was one of the best,,,thats all i can say,,,,TRY IT

4.88/5  rDev +23.5%

I love this bottle! It depicts a little skeleton dude sittin' on top of a barrel, and the name is cool too. This one pours cloudy dark amber with a solid 1 finger head of tight foam. Solid sheets of lace wash over the glass and quickly fall back into the brew. Excellent retention of the solid-loking head.

THe nose is full of candied caramel and vanilla. The aroma is primarily sweet malt with only the faintest trace of hops. I smell caramelized sugar, honey, and a bit of a roasty nutty character.

This is wonderful! Thick caramel candy and sweet vanilla start things off before being replaced by a good deal of spicy hops. I taste honey, darkfruits (plum?), and toffee at first. Then a big hop punch finishes things off on the bitter and dry end of the scale. This is IMO perfectly balanced! You get the sweet malty notes first, then the dry, bitter, almost IPA-like piney hop flavor!

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with nice carbonation and a big warming alcohol presence. This stuff is extremely drinkable! I would drink this regularly if it weren't so expensive in my neck of the woods.

Wow. This is just a winner all the way around. I can't find anything bad to say about this great brew from Rogue. It looks great, has a great bottle, the name is badass (what are you drinking? "Rogue Dead Guy Ale" whoa...don't f*ck with that dude), it smells heavenly, tastes like liquid gold, and it is dangerously drinkable. Amazing.

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales