1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Dead Guy AleDead Guy Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,347 | Reviews: 2,234 | Show All Ratings:
budgood1

this is a maibock, not an ale. has a cloudy orange apearance and a saaz hop aroma. wonderfully balanced and is delicious. warm alcohol finish to boot. this is one helluva maibock. slides down so smooth, it's scary.

02-02-2002 23:31:58 | More by budgood1
putnam

Healthy, tenacious head of copper and cream color. The liquid is reddish gold. The color is so vibrant it looks like a light source of its own. A nose of baklava (honey, phyllo, roasted pistachios) dirty laundry and guava. Dense and tropical. Silky creamy texture that reveals delicate shadings of melon, tropical blooms, hops, strawberries, new paint, ... I can't get over how solid it feels...like heavy cream...and how bright and clean it is on the palate. The finish lasts and lasts. You can drink more than one of these, easy!

09-10-2002 15:27:39 | More by putnam
Naerhu

Japan

Appearance: Beautiful opaque red body with white smallish head. 4
smell: Sweet malty creamy, soft whole grain bread like aroma. 4.5
taste: Medium hops that gently grow. Initially lightly sweet and some light caramel. Sweet without being cloying in anyway. Dry due to the hopiness, but balanced so well. Reading the other reviews, I have to wonder why I got it backwards. Most taste bitter then sweet, but I definitely taste malty sweetness with the bitterness slowly coming out.
mouthfeel: micro bubbles on a round medium body.
drinkability: The sweetness and bitterness is balanced is beautifully. Amazing.

This is the sweetest juice of god. It has a beautiful deep golden amber color. Shimmering with deliciousness. Aroma is of bold malts wrapped in a loving bouquet of hops. I do not catch any of the fruit other see, but this has the rich warm qualities of fresh baked bread. A firm hop back bone, that make me glad I was born. The creamy smooth mouthfeel is liquid silk.

05-06-2003 07:36:28 | More by Naerhu
bmw0825

A: Pours a light copper with a dense head that is white with a slight orange tint in appearance that leaves very little lacing on the glass.

S: A very sweet malty aroma with a spiced aroma and hops in the background.

T&M: Tons of sweet malts initially that are then strongly bittered by spicy hops midway before giving way to a balanced, lightly drying finish.
A very intriguing flavor progression on the palate. It's medium bodied with a spicy hoppiness present in the flavor profile.

D: Everyday...Love it. The higher abv content makes it good for me.

Serving type: tap

07-16-2008 18:58:49 | More by bmw0825
mrcarterxxl

Rogue Dead Guy Ale

pours a beautiful amber color with a off white head a cloudy beer

smells of mandarin orange, grains of paradise, a cluster of fruit and hops.

tastes of oranges, grains, and vanilla on the back.

excellent mouth feel bubbles everywhere full feeling

Love at first taste, i love this fuckin beer!, i love it so much that i would buy a case of 22 ounce bombers to keep in the house.
i wasn't sure about it at first with all the sediment floating around in the bottle, this is shockingly delicious.

01-06-2010 17:00:44 | More by mrcarterxxl
Nadja6123

Overall this truly is one of the best beers around. "Dead Guy" is a perfect balance of malt and hops. It's sweet without being syrupy and hoppy without the aggressive bitter edge. A full bodied ale that is so very drinkable all day long. It pares well with hearty sandwiches and burgers as well as with a good sharp Cheddar and Dry Genoa salami. I wait all year for this tasty beer and it never fails to meet my expectations. I love you Rogue
brewery!

10-01-2010 08:17:06 | More by Nadja6123
SteveoNY

P - 22 oz bottle 2 color printed, no freshness date.

A - golden honey color with creamy light tan head, sticky to runny lacing.

S - nectar like sweetness.

T - very sweet at first, followed by light hop bitterness. excellent overall flavor.

M - moderately carbonated, smooth and slightly creamy.

D - keep em coming. enjoy

Notes - My first Maibock, interestingly called an Ale yet classed under a German lager....

01-07-2011 04:41:10 | More by SteveoNY
wrcraigl

This is by far my most favorite beer to drink on any occasion. The price can be a little steep but have a growler I can refill that makes it reasonable. It is not available at enough places, I have to go out of my way to find it. This beer on draught has no competition.

02-24-2011 23:53:14 | More by wrcraigl
Kadugen

There's nothing I can say about this Beer that hasn't already been said in any of the other reviews. The only thing i can contribute is my personal story that goes along with this wonderful brew.

I never really had a taste for beer until college, and of course that was filled with nights of Keystone Light and Miller Light. I, in no way am slamming these beers they do serve there purpose, and I am not such a beer snob I would ever refuse any of these when given to me. What I'm trying to say is this is all I knew.

That is until I enrolled in the Cloverleaf Taverns MBA (Master of Beer Appreciation) program. 45 beers on a list, gift cards, t-shirt and name on the wall. That was good enough for me I figured I'd give it a shot. Never did I expect to gain such an appreciation and knowledge for beer as I do now.When I completed the list my palate was eager to learn more and try new and exciting beers.

Which brings me to Rouge Dead Guy. This beer will always hold a special place in my heart (and belly) as one of the first beers to show me how good consumption of liquids could be. Many nights I have spent at the Leaf with many pints of this wonderful beverage. With its warm honey glow and caramel smell. It will get you to where your want to go in less time but not get you to blitzed before you get there.

Springtime is the perfect time to enjoy this hearty, rich maibock that has a dryer, richer, more hoppy experience. Its a great transition from the heavy beers of winter to the lighter ones of summer. Hell I drink this all year round. So sit back and enjoy this wonderful brew.

05-03-2011 04:17:46 | More by Kadugen
mgeraci

Indiana

I liked this beer a lot. Hands down my favorite beer I've ever had to date. It was great. Good balanced flavor, not too strong. A great surprise from an unexpected candidate. A perfectly sessionable beer. I think beers like this among many others are starting to convince me I'ma big fan of the unique craft beers that don't get enough credit.

10-22-2011 02:48:56 | More by mgeraci
CreamAle128

Alberta (Canada)

4.9/5  rDev +24.1%

This is one amazing beer! I usually try to stay away from American brews, from the few i have tasted, but this is one good beer. Its full of flavour, and kinda floral smell. For those of u who love a beer with a strong flavour, this is it, its got hints of fruit, and slight molassas, which i like very much. The only real complaint i have is that i wish it had a bigger head that retained itself, but the taste more than makes up for it. The appearance is very nice, giving a orange-red cloudy color. I will definatly be buying this beer again, and again.

12-19-2002 21:07:26 | More by CreamAle128
pmcadamis

4.9/5  rDev +24.1%

I love this bottle! It depicts a little skeleton dude sittin' on top of a barrel, and the name is cool too. This one pours cloudy dark amber with a solid 1 finger head of tight foam. Solid sheets of lace wash over the glass and quickly fall back into the brew. Excellent retention of the solid-loking head.

THe nose is full of candied caramel and vanilla. The aroma is primarily sweet malt with only the faintest trace of hops. I smell caramelized sugar, honey, and a bit of a roasty nutty character.

This is wonderful! Thick caramel candy and sweet vanilla start things off before being replaced by a good deal of spicy hops. I taste honey, darkfruits (plum?), and toffee at first. Then a big hop punch finishes things off on the bitter and dry end of the scale. This is IMO perfectly balanced! You get the sweet malty notes first, then the dry, bitter, almost IPA-like piney hop flavor!

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with nice carbonation and a big warming alcohol presence. This stuff is extremely drinkable! I would drink this regularly if it weren't so expensive in my neck of the woods.

Wow. This is just a winner all the way around. I can't find anything bad to say about this great brew from Rogue. It looks great, has a great bottle, the name is badass (what are you drinking? "Rogue Dead Guy Ale" whoa...don't f*ck with that dude), it smells heavenly, tastes like liquid gold, and it is dangerously drinkable. Amazing.

09-16-2006 02:45:44 | More by pmcadamis
greywolf

Delaware

4.9/5  rDev +24.1%

this beer is one that ranks up thier at the top of my list...one of my all time favorite beer,,i can arcoss the beer by sure happenstance...i was in the outer banks and was at a huge beer store and could not decide what to get,i saw the bottle out of the coner of my eye,,why not,,,once i got back to the room and opened it i was hooked right away,,it was one of the best,,,thats all i can say,,,,TRY IT

02-11-2010 13:42:14 | More by greywolf
WissBrauSean

4.9/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The bottle, of course gets homebrew points for being reusable. I definitely give an extra few tenths of a point for bottle and design. Both of which are excellent. May they never change it!

The beer pours a beautiful hazy (chill haze, poured it cold) deep orange/amber with an amber/tan one finger head that stays throughout the drink as a full ring and Friar Tuck cap in the center of tiny silky bubbles mixed with a few larger bubbles. Lacing is very apparent with sticky looking disorganized archways.

The aroma is centered around citrus, whether it be citrus hops or actual orange and lemon, it's there with a nice sweet caramel base to it. There are some hop floral notes as well and maybe a bit of breadiness. Very faint.

Wow! The taste! There is a good reason that this is a world class beer! It's two major constituents, sweet and bitter are so very well balanced that it allows for the minor flavours such as citrus, caramel and some yeasty banana to play a hand in making you fall in love with this beer. And to tell the truth, all these flavours play on your tongue equally throughout the sip from start to finish, one never dominating the other until only at the end when there is some mild dry hop bitterness. I think the slightly above moderate amount of carbonation is what really pulls this off. It's truly a beer drinking experience to behold.

Mouthfeel. Silky, creamy and sweet with a just-under mid range body to it making it thin enough to session and not get overly tired of any one character like sweetness. EXCELLENT! The amount of carbonation is moderate yet a little lively and really lends to helping bring all these flavors and aromas to your senses.

Overall I am going to have to give it a 4.75 out of 5. I don't know what a 5 would be, I haven't tried it yet and I'm banking that this may be an actual 5, but I'm new to this and don't have the experience to give out 5's.

All that I really have to say that if you don't try this beer, you don't know what you are missing and it needs to be on your bucket list! Thank you Rogue! Now get out there and drink some different drinks! Mix it up, but stop drinking f@cking Jaeger Bombs and drink good beer! Life is short enough, don't make it even shorter drinking that complete garbage!

03-20-2013 00:08:40 | More by WissBrauSean
AleEnthusiastSorensen

Washington

4.89/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Now I am an IPA man in general but no lie Rogue Breweries Dead Guy Ale is on my top five list of ales, if not the top. First brews of this beer began in the early 90's and the logo of the skeleton with the bee hive is a tribute to the Mayan holiday of the Day of the Dead.

This Mai-bock style ale intrigues the senses with it's beautiful color and, to me, rich aroma. The taste isn't too strong but neither is it too weak. I recommend this beer to both the mild/entry enthusiast to the extreme enthusiast. In my personal opinion you can't go wrong if your hanging with a Dead Guy.

01-18-2013 22:57:08 | More by AleEnthusiastSorensen
beeerman997

4.89/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

My "go-to" favorite of all time- has a pleasantly muted feel and taste- as an IPA lover this makes a great change of pace from hoppiness

Very mellow mouth feel and perfect aftertaste- I guess it's the maltiness that appeals to me

For some reason the 64 oz growler seems to have a slightly stronger signature than the 12 oz bottle- and the Double Dead Guy is really a treat!

01-29-2014 01:02:14 | More by beeerman997
RootedFool

4.88/5  rDev +23.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle purchased the North Coast Co-op in Eureka, California. Body is dim amber with an off-white, dense head. No lacing.

Smells like sugary, buttered bisquits, with a gritty middle of hop bitterness and finishes fruity (fresh grape juice).

Taste opens with a chewy, dense bitterness along the center of my palate. The middle is tangy and spicy at once (lemon zest with a dash of red pepper flakes) and closes on a dry, bitter note played long and sharp on the back of my tongue and roof of my mouth, backgrounded by a gentle fruit-juicy sweetness.

Coats my palate and coasts off with ease -- perfect. Carbonation is very evident yet not over-powering.

Well-rounded, awesomely balanced brew.

04-22-2004 01:43:07 | More by RootedFool
schusterbauer

4.88/5  rDev +23.5%

very similar to it's bottled counterpart, the main difference being the mouthfeel, which takes on an almost Guinness-like thickness. maybe a little bit sweeter, a little bit stickier, but all of the same flavors of bread, fruits, honey and spices are present.

03-22-2007 14:49:41 | More by schusterbauer
Winter

Wisconsin

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

Another great offering from Rogue. This tasty mai bock was originally created to celebrate the Mayan Day of the Dead or Dia de Muerto on November 2, All Souls Day. Pours a hazy medium orange with a white foamy head. Nice citrusy, buttery aroma with a hoppy floral boquette. Medium-bodied mouthfeel, which is thick and creamy. Smooth front with a crisp textured finish. Sweet and citrusy upfront with a biscuity malt goodness. Flavorful finish from the Saaz hops is just perfect. I picked up a single bottle to sample and now I wish I had grabbed a six-pack.

03-13-2003 08:33:23 | More by Winter
TripelJ

Now Quaffing: Rogue - Dead Guy Ale

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite beers. To hell whether or not it 'adheres to the style', this is one of the best that Rogue has to offer. This proves they can do subtle as well as they do bold. Pours a clear dark copper with a a frothy off-white head. Aromas are all light and subdued--sweet, hoppy, grassy, inviting if nothing else. Everything else is all she wrote. There is a perfect balance of the malt and hop profile and neither is over done, although each dominate at different times. Tastes sweet--raisins-- followed by the smoothest hops and a slightly dry finish. I could (and have) drink this all night and I usually opt for variety. I can't wait to have it on tap again.

09-02-2003 00:27:55 | More by TripelJ
Rocky9

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

The best beer ever brewed. My go-to tasty brew when I want something that's not crazy-hoppy (which I drink as well, often).

I don't drink this out of the bottle; I always pour into a glass to enjoy the color. It does require a bit of splashing at the end to get a nice head on it.

Smooth and full-bodied, this brew is everything a beer should be. I drink it by itself, or with almost any meal or snack. Did I mention it's my favorite beer all of time? I did? Okay, just wanted to make sure that was clear.

Thank you Rogue.

05-03-2013 14:27:24 | More by Rocky9
texascarl

Kansas

4.83/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance = Dark amber/gold, slight haze. Creamy tan head, dissipated without a trace. Low to medium carbonation.

Nose = malty sweet, fruity. Jumped out at me as I poured, a sign of excellent things to come

Taste = This is how Bock beer ought to taste. A one-two punch. Malt and plenty of it, just start to taste the sweet of it when POW the hops hit you. Plenty, but not too much hops, luscious short to medium finish. A wonderful brew. More please.

02-28-2003 17:44:28 | More by texascarl
mydeadguy

4.83/5  rDev +22.3%

22oz. bottle (though, I've recently seen it in six packs)

This being the first beer I have reviewed for BA, I decided to try to review a beer I know quite well.

Dead Guy Ale pours a beautiful deep reddish amber with a slightly creamy, off white head. The head gives way to the sweet but not too sweet aroma. I might detect some of the sweeter fruits that some poeple mention, apricot, raisin, etc., but for all I know, its ambrosia.

Which brings us to taste: wonderfully complex, both sweet and slightly bitter with overtones of the alcohol content. A seriously smooth mouthfeel, making this a perfect summer beer that is, happily, available year round. Well balanced, Dead Guy Ale makes one wonder if the Rogue brewers can brew anything thats not exceptional. A beer thats both warming and quite drinkable.
Tell your friends, if you don't know, now you know.

09-02-2003 22:27:42 | More by mydeadguy
MmmIPA

4.83/5  rDev +22.3%

A-Golden color,no bubbles or head.Semi visible body.

S-Honey and malt,and I cant tell what else is in here.

T-Honey,very evident of that especially the after taste.There is a malty taste to it also

M-Mouthful is real nice.The honey is real tasty in this fine brew.

D-Very good! I would like to buy a case of this.This is my 2nd time drinking this stuff.I love the honey taste in it and it goes down real smooth but watch out after a few you begin to feel the buzz.Well done Rogue!

Serving type: growler

09-06-2006 01:25:05 | More by MmmIPA
billybob

4.83/5  rDev +22.3%

pours dark honey cloudy color a two finger light tan head with a fair lacing. smell is fruity, coffee, bready. lots of toasted malt up front slightly fruity slightly bready sweet taste with a nice hop finish. mouthfeel is medium but not syrupy with nice medium carbonation. really enjoyed this one great tasting beer hope to get some more soon.

12-17-2006 01:27:42 | More by billybob