Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,882 | Reviews: 2,377
4.9/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The bottle, of course gets homebrew points for being reusable. I definitely give an extra few tenths of a point for bottle and design. Both of which are excellent. May they never change it!

The beer pours a beautiful hazy (chill haze, poured it cold) deep orange/amber with an amber/tan one finger head that stays throughout the drink as a full ring and Friar Tuck cap in the center of tiny silky bubbles mixed with a few larger bubbles. Lacing is very apparent with sticky looking disorganized archways.

The aroma is centered around citrus, whether it be citrus hops or actual orange and lemon, it's there with a nice sweet caramel base to it. There are some hop floral notes as well and maybe a bit of breadiness. Very faint.

Wow! The taste! There is a good reason that this is a world class beer! It's two major constituents, sweet and bitter are so very well balanced that it allows for the minor flavours such as citrus, caramel and some yeasty banana to play a hand in making you fall in love with this beer. And to tell the truth, all these flavours play on your tongue equally throughout the sip from start to finish, one never dominating the other until only at the end when there is some mild dry hop bitterness. I think the slightly above moderate amount of carbonation is what really pulls this off. It's truly a beer drinking experience to behold.

Mouthfeel. Silky, creamy and sweet with a just-under mid range body to it making it thin enough to session and not get overly tired of any one character like sweetness. EXCELLENT! The amount of carbonation is moderate yet a little lively and really lends to helping bring all these flavors and aromas to your senses.

Overall I am going to have to give it a 4.75 out of 5. I don't know what a 5 would be, I haven't tried it yet and I'm banking that this may be an actual 5, but I'm new to this and don't have the experience to give out 5's.

All that I really have to say that if you don't try this beer, you don't know what you are missing and it needs to be on your bucket list! Thank you Rogue! Now get out there and drink some different drinks! Mix it up, but stop drinking f@cking Jaeger Bombs and drink good beer! Life is short enough, don't make it even shorter drinking that complete garbage!

4.9/5  rDev +24.1%

First review...

4.89/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

One of my favorite beers.

4.89/5  rDev +23.8%

this beer is one that ranks up thier at the top of my list...one of my all time favorite beer,,i can arcoss the beer by sure happenstance...i was in the outer banks and was at a huge beer store and could not decide what to get,i saw the bottle out of the coner of my eye,,why not,,,once i got back to the room and opened it i was hooked right away,,it was one of the best,,,thats all i can say,,,,TRY IT

4.88/5  rDev +23.5%

I love this bottle! It depicts a little skeleton dude sittin' on top of a barrel, and the name is cool too. This one pours cloudy dark amber with a solid 1 finger head of tight foam. Solid sheets of lace wash over the glass and quickly fall back into the brew. Excellent retention of the solid-loking head.

THe nose is full of candied caramel and vanilla. The aroma is primarily sweet malt with only the faintest trace of hops. I smell caramelized sugar, honey, and a bit of a roasty nutty character.

This is wonderful! Thick caramel candy and sweet vanilla start things off before being replaced by a good deal of spicy hops. I taste honey, darkfruits (plum?), and toffee at first. Then a big hop punch finishes things off on the bitter and dry end of the scale. This is IMO perfectly balanced! You get the sweet malty notes first, then the dry, bitter, almost IPA-like piney hop flavor!

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy with nice carbonation and a big warming alcohol presence. This stuff is extremely drinkable! I would drink this regularly if it weren't so expensive in my neck of the woods.

Wow. This is just a winner all the way around. I can't find anything bad to say about this great brew from Rogue. It looks great, has a great bottle, the name is badass (what are you drinking? "Rogue Dead Guy Ale" whoa...don't f*ck with that dude), it smells heavenly, tastes like liquid gold, and it is dangerously drinkable. Amazing.

4.88/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Now I am an IPA man in general but no lie Rogue Breweries Dead Guy Ale is on my top five list of ales, if not the top. First brews of this beer began in the early 90's and the logo of the skeleton with the bee hive is a tribute to the Mayan holiday of the Day of the Dead.

This Mai-bock style ale intrigues the senses with it's beautiful color and, to me, rich aroma. The taste isn't too strong but neither is it too weak. I recommend this beer to both the mild/entry enthusiast to the extreme enthusiast. In my personal opinion you can't go wrong if your hanging with a Dead Guy.

4.88/5  rDev +23.5%

This is one amazing beer! I usually try to stay away from American brews, from the few i have tasted, but this is one good beer. Its full of flavour, and kinda floral smell. For those of u who love a beer with a strong flavour, this is it, its got hints of fruit, and slight molassas, which i like very much. The only real complaint i have is that i wish it had a bigger head that retained itself, but the taste more than makes up for it. The appearance is very nice, giving a orange-red cloudy color. I will definatly be buying this beer again, and again.

4.88/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

My "go-to" favorite of all time- has a pleasantly muted feel and taste- as an IPA lover this makes a great change of pace from hoppiness

Very mellow mouth feel and perfect aftertaste- I guess it's the maltiness that appeals to me

For some reason the 64 oz growler seems to have a slightly stronger signature than the 12 oz bottle- and the Double Dead Guy is really a treat!

4.86/5  rDev +23%

Fantastic ale. I have begun to sample more and more ales, but I don't think I need to go farther. This is my top rated beer of all varieties and for good reason. It is a beautiful, aromatic, delicious beverage and I will have another.

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

very similar to it's bottled counterpart, the main difference being the mouthfeel, which takes on an almost Guinness-like thickness. maybe a little bit sweeter, a little bit stickier, but all of the same flavors of bread, fruits, honey and spices are present.

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle purchased the North Coast Co-op in Eureka, California. Body is dim amber with an off-white, dense head. No lacing.

Smells like sugary, buttered bisquits, with a gritty middle of hop bitterness and finishes fruity (fresh grape juice).

Taste opens with a chewy, dense bitterness along the center of my palate. The middle is tangy and spicy at once (lemon zest with a dash of red pepper flakes) and closes on a dry, bitter note played long and sharp on the back of my tongue and roof of my mouth, backgrounded by a gentle fruit-juicy sweetness.

Coats my palate and coasts off with ease -- perfect. Carbonation is very evident yet not over-powering.

Well-rounded, awesomely balanced brew.

4.83/5  rDev +22.3%

The best beer ever brewed. My go-to tasty brew when I want something that's not crazy-hoppy (which I drink as well, often).

I don't drink this out of the bottle; I always pour into a glass to enjoy the color. It does require a bit of splashing at the end to get a nice head on it.

Smooth and full-bodied, this brew is everything a beer should be. I drink it by itself, or with almost any meal or snack. Did I mention it's my favorite beer all of time? I did? Okay, just wanted to make sure that was clear.

Thank you Rogue.

4.82/5  rDev +22%

Another great offering from Rogue. This tasty mai bock was originally created to celebrate the Mayan Day of the Dead or Dia de Muerto on November 2, All Souls Day. Pours a hazy medium orange with a white foamy head. Nice citrusy, buttery aroma with a hoppy floral boquette. Medium-bodied mouthfeel, which is thick and creamy. Smooth front with a crisp textured finish. Sweet and citrusy upfront with a biscuity malt goodness. Flavorful finish from the Saaz hops is just perfect. I picked up a single bottle to sample and now I wish I had grabbed a six-pack.

4.82/5  rDev +22%

Now Quaffing: Rogue - Dead Guy Ale

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite beers. To hell whether or not it 'adheres to the style', this is one of the best that Rogue has to offer. This proves they can do subtle as well as they do bold. Pours a clear dark copper with a a frothy off-white head. Aromas are all light and subdued--sweet, hoppy, grassy, inviting if nothing else. Everything else is all she wrote. There is a perfect balance of the malt and hop profile and neither is over done, although each dominate at different times. Tastes sweet--raisins-- followed by the smoothest hops and a slightly dry finish. I could (and have) drink this all night and I usually opt for variety. I can't wait to have it on tap again.

4.81/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

got this beer in a growler at the liquor store i work at part time. nice in copper tone. smells a little malty taste like your average helles beer. goes down smooth and has a great mouthful feeling and overall isn't bad, recommend this beer to a good bock enthusiast. another great brew from Rogue

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

Pours a beautiful orange/amber with a good head of off white tightly laced foam. Smells of soft fruits. Outstanding mouthful of small bubbles. Taste is very malty and hoppy at the same time, if thats possible. One of my all time favorites.
Great with my local BBQ's pulled pork sandwich and slaw.

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

22oz. bottle (though, I've recently seen it in six packs)

This being the first beer I have reviewed for BA, I decided to try to review a beer I know quite well.

Dead Guy Ale pours a beautiful deep reddish amber with a slightly creamy, off white head. The head gives way to the sweet but not too sweet aroma. I might detect some of the sweeter fruits that some poeple mention, apricot, raisin, etc., but for all I know, its ambrosia.

Which brings us to taste: wonderfully complex, both sweet and slightly bitter with overtones of the alcohol content. A seriously smooth mouthfeel, making this a perfect summer beer that is, happily, available year round. Well balanced, Dead Guy Ale makes one wonder if the Rogue brewers can brew anything thats not exceptional. A beer thats both warming and quite drinkable.
Tell your friends, if you don't know, now you know.

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

A-Golden color,no bubbles or head.Semi visible body.

S-Honey and malt,and I cant tell what else is in here.

T-Honey,very evident of that especially the after taste.There is a malty taste to it also

M-Mouthful is real nice.The honey is real tasty in this fine brew.

D-Very good! I would like to buy a case of this.This is my 2nd time drinking this stuff.I love the honey taste in it and it goes down real smooth but watch out after a few you begin to feel the buzz.Well done Rogue!

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

Appearance = Dark amber/gold, slight haze. Creamy tan head, dissipated without a trace. Low to medium carbonation.

Nose = malty sweet, fruity. Jumped out at me as I poured, a sign of excellent things to come

Taste = This is how Bock beer ought to taste. A one-two punch. Malt and plenty of it, just start to taste the sweet of it when POW the hops hit you. Plenty, but not too much hops, luscious short to medium finish. A wonderful brew. More please.

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

pours dark honey cloudy color a two finger light tan head with a fair lacing. smell is fruity, coffee, bready. lots of toasted malt up front slightly fruity slightly bready sweet taste with a nice hop finish. mouthfeel is medium but not syrupy with nice medium carbonation. really enjoyed this one great tasting beer hope to get some more soon.

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

Exceptional Beer! Of course, that's what I've come to expect with all the Rogue Beers. The Orange Yellow color of this beer is lively and the taste.... Rockin'! I've had this beer in a 22oz and 12 oz bottle as well as in Draft... preferred the draft. Looking forward to trying the 3 liter! Can't go wrong with these beers... you will NOT be disappointed!

Get this on Tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Augusta!

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

One of my all time favorites! Thanks Dan Davis.

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

Served in a stemmed pilsner glass. Mildly hazy copper coloring with honey gold highlights when held to a light. The head is three fingers tall and ever sip leaves an almost chunky ring around the glass. Perfect head retention as it stays around as a thick blanket covering the brew till the last drop.

Smells sweet and malty with some honey and ripe citrus fruit from the hop.

The taste is full of toasted bread, sweet citrus, honey, and little bit of boozy sweetness, and dry bitter hop on the palate. Finises dry and bitter sweet.

Medium bodied, a little slick on the palate, but the drink-ability of this beer is dangerous! It does not have the alcohol volume of a session beer but it is so easy to drink! I will tell you that if you session drink the brew you will end up like the guy on the bottle. There are stronger beers but this would be the whiskey of beers in my book. Not by taste, but by effect.

4.79/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my goto beer. Every time. Found it at a local bar that has a beer-of-the-month 2 years ago. I think they kept it on as a regular beer because I kept them sold out.

4.79/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

exceptional taste in one word outstanding

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales