Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,885 | Reviews: 2,377
3.9/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, caramel colored with a yellow white head that dissipates leaving a little frothy lacing, slightly hazy

S: caramel malt flavors mix with peppery hops, slightly sweat and bready

T: sweet and malty up front, brown sugar, roasted almonds, spicy hops

M: medium to full, slightly sticky, lower carbonation

O: nice malt flavors balanced by noble hops

3.54/5  rDev -10.4%

One of my favorite beers from Rogue, not to heady or simple, great flavors and smell ad I love the bottle haha

3.84/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Interesting floral notes. Good balance. A fine helles.

4.59/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Simply outstanding...unless you're looking for a macro AAL. This is a very complex beer.

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

this one has a well balanced taste

3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

Not really a huge fan of this one. Its fine, but more money than I want to shell out for something this middle of the road. It has a nice fruitiness, and as a whole it works well in a hot climate such as Thailand, but just is lacking a few elements that could push it over the top and make it a more interesting beer. Rogue has made a huge push in the last few years into bars in Bangkok, so Dead Guy is something I often drink, tho wouldn't if I lived in most other places in the world. Generally, of the beers available here, Leffe or Hoegaarden is better value and both are available draft whereas Rogue is bottle only. I expect that situation will be changing soon as the thaw on SE Asian factory lager monopolies (Singha, Tiger, Chang) is on in this country in a big way, finally.

This one took me a little while to get into. At first, I did not like it at all. The only reason I even tried it again was because it was the only beer available one night when I got off work. My roommate had the fridge stocked with Dead Guy, so I had a couple with him and it slowly started to grow on me. When I went to the Rogue brewery in Newport (I used to live in Oregon) and had it on tap, I was hooked. Now, it's one of my favorites. The only thing I do not like about it now is how damn expensive it is, especially here in New York (where I have lived for about seven years now).

Overall, I enjoy the dark flavor of Dead Guy and do not find it at all bitter. It is a good balance of flavor similar to a light porter but with the complexity of a stout (when had on tap). Warning: once it begins to get warm, the flavor turns on you and it becomes very unpleasant. I find all Rogue ales are better had cold.

4.37/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful looking beer. Smells sweet and rich. Taste is sharp and sweet.

3.86/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Look: A cloudy, but pretty amber/orange, with a huge and fluffy cream colored head. The only flaw here is the clarity, but for a Maibock, that's an issue.

Smell: A gentle bouquet. An uncharacteristic smell of citrus hops pairs up with caramel malt to create a perfume of mandarin oranges. It's certainly unique. Definitely intriguing. Tells me I'm in for an atypical Maibock.

Taste: Much more to style. The malt is complex and sweet, yet gentle. Buttered biscuits, toast, and a drizzle of caramel. A light bitterness sneaks in. Unfortunately, while it doesn't detract from the beer, neither does it add anything. Some floral hop notes are better at bringing interest.

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth, with little carbonation. A watery quality created more problems than one, as it drowns out the flavor. Here is where the beer falls much too short for my taste.

Overall: With a skeleton logo and a menacing name, it's hard to believe this is going to be an everyday Maibock. And everyday it's not, particularly due to the fruity characteristics. Still, it's bland, even with the notable malt complexity. The watery nature of the mouthfeel makes it even more so. After a while, boredom sets in, as you begin to feel like you're drinking tampered-with tap water.

4.94/5  rDev +25.1%

My all time favorite beer

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

It's alright, but overrated, as most Rogue beer is. There are definitely much better options in Oregon that don't charge an extra $2 "Rogue Tax."

3.17/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a slightly cloudy orange/amber with a big fluffy white head. Smells of citrus and floral hops, a bit of a mineral smell as well. Not much going on really in the nose. Taste is a little better with some sweet malts caramel and bread mixed up with some floral hops and that mineral tartness. Sparkling carbonation, sticky mineral-y mouthfeel, medium body. Nothing objectionable here, but really not up to what I consider the norm for Rogue.

4.86/5  rDev +23%

Fantastic ale. I have begun to sample more and more ales, but I don't think I need to go farther. This is my top rated beer of all varieties and for good reason. It is a beautiful, aromatic, delicious beverage and I will have another.

4.29/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Wow, I don't know how many times I've walked past this over the years. Silly me! Pours a clear orange-copper with thin white head - no retention. Smell is wonderful - semi-sweet with malt and bread and citrus. Flavor also has a slight honey sweetness, balanced well with some hop bitterness. Finish has a trace of alcohol, but smooth and again semi-sweet. I must have more...

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz. glass into a snifter.

A - Pours a deep, ambery orange, thin-bodied head.

S - Sweet, wet grain, very light berry aroma.

T - Slight herbal, hoppy spice upfront, with sweet bready notes dominating, settling into a light yeast spice and a wee bit of residual bitterness.

M - Fairly light-bodied, a little bit of carbonation.

O - Not a particularly interesting brew, but very solid, balanced, and refreshing.

4.21/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Turbid light brown with a tan head.

Smell: Yeasty, bready.

Taste: Malt and yeast up front, slightly sweet, bitter enough for balance. Some alcohol is noticeable towards the end.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thick and moderately carbonated.

Overall: Very good. Flavorful and balanced.

I come back to this every time as my favorite.

4.09/5  rDev +3.5%

This being my first Maibock EVA* I will be referring to the Beer Judging Certification Program (and “yes” that is a real thing) style guidelines on what a Maibock should look, smell, taste and feel like... no pressure Rogue, just go about your day knowing that my keenest eye/nose/tongue will also be backed up with actual beer review knowledge instead of the stuff I usually make up along the way. Oh yeah and before you ask “Aaannnother Rogue?!” in that annoying whiny tone as you always do, this will be the last Rogue *checks fridge* I review in a while.

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a Stein.

A: Hazy amber body with a large but reasonably dense 1 inch off-white head on top. BJCP would prefer it clearer, lighter coloured and whiter (for the head that is). 6/10.

S: Honey, caramel malts, hints of butteriness (Diacetyl), bread middle and dark fruit Esters in the background... this is much more Doppelbock than Maibock (aside from the colour). BJCP poo-poos Diacetyl and Esters should be low to none (their words not mine - I actually like this aroma). 8/10.

T: More honey than caramel in the flavour with notes of butterscotch, bready mid-palate, earthy/herbal hops and some light spice notes in the finish, which is slightly dry but with a medium bitterness from the earthy/herbal hops. Quite a clever brew this Dead Guy Ale, with a modicum of bitterness hedging off the overly sweet honeyed aspect. If BJCP were a person I think he/she would like this, though with a disapproving mention that this Maibock isn’t to style. 9/10.

M: Medium bodied with a light but sharp and tingly carbonation. Not bad BJCP, not bad at all. 7/10.

D: Well, I am sold on Maibock’s - the lighter and hoppier version of Doppelbocks. This Rogue happens to be one of the best Rogues I’ve had so far (and I’ve had like 8-9 of their brews now) and the bottle was deceptive because I looked at it and thought “Pfft, glows in the dark, f**k off” but the brew within ist köstlich, to coin a German term. Question is: Does the now anthropomorphised (by me) BJCP like it? “BJCP says: yes” We have a winner! 8/10.

Food match: Schweinebraten with bread roll Knödeln and cabbage salad, a classic Bavarian delicacy.

*Or Extravehicular Activity - as I like to refer to my reviews, but it’s also something astronauts do while they’re in space.

3.1/5  rDev -21.5%

Very malty and a little watery for my taste. Not saying the malty is bad, I like it, just not one I would recommend.

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Amazing beer. Sweet eatery malt matches with a nice heavy mouthfeel matches with a heavy dose of pokey and floral hops that stay with you In a very pleasant way. Became one of my favorites on the first sip.

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

Pretty good transition beer for the beginner

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Lovely malt with the proper amount of hops

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

650 ml bottle in goblet glass. Reddish amber appearance, good thin head that lasts a while. Hoppy smell, with a smooth taste of hops and fruit. Very good. Would probably go great with a BBQ steak.

4.93/5  rDev +24.8%

Awesome beer. Think I found my new favorite. Smooth smooth taste.

4.11/5  rDev +4.1%

This is a very good beer, though it isn't very nice to look at. Like most Rogue products, it is a much better than average beer.

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales