1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Dead Guy AleDead Guy Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,348 | Reviews: 2,234 | Show All Ratings:
baxterbrew

Tennessee

1.35/5  rDev -65.8%

Poored from the bottle with weak head that quickly ran away. The color was murky, orange- almost looks like an unfiltered homebrew. Smell is hoppy, not what I would expect here. The taste is nearly horrible. Very bitter with very little trace of malt. The aftertaste is putrid, almost vomit-like sitting on the back of the throat. This was very disappointing.

10-31-2006 04:02:09 | More by baxterbrew
vdan02

1.6/5  rDev -59.5%

After drinking this beer, Miller Lite tastes like a Guinness. This is by far one of the worst tasting beers that I have had. It is almost like someone took a barrel full of hops and mixed it with a glass of sugar water. This beer is one of the most distastful things that you could do with water, sugar, and hops. Please stop supporting their efforts in wasting our fresh water supply.

04-26-2009 01:28:36 | More by vdan02
jesseejames

Montana

1.6/5  rDev -59.5%

I really did not like this beer way too nasty and bitter. It has a poor head and for a bock beer it really lacked any malt taste. I thought that it was over hopped. All in all I just did not like the taste of this beer. It has a cidery taste that is disgusting to me. If all they did was use sugar to built up the alcohol they were wasting the effort.

05-27-2013 18:03:57 | More by jesseejames
yeastlovehoppiness_jess

Iowa

1.74/5  rDev -55.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

A: coppery brown. thin layer of head. clear.

S: yeast. malt. sweat?

T: slightly sour, especially at the back of the tongue. wheatish, but in a darker way. caramel? ...but not a sweet, good caramel.

M: medium bodied. pretty smooth.

O: I don't have a whole lot to say about this ale other than I wasn't a fan. I love Rogue, but this ale wasn't for me.

blech.

07-06-2013 00:52:39 | More by yeastlovehoppiness_jess
ramrod666

1.8/5  rDev -54.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

dead guy ale pours a copper color w/ a small head that fades to a ring.smell is slightly hoppy with stong malt in front. laced the glass nicely. taste was unimpresive. Think that the bottle is bad. extemely bitter, acrid taste. kind of like soda water with bitters added. surrely a bad bottle. with no way to tell age it is hard to tell how old this crap is. huge dissapointment. will re review when a fresh sample can be obtained.

08-15-2004 22:16:30 | More by ramrod666
yeastlovehoppiness_greg

Iowa

1.94/5  rDev -50.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 1.75

This beer looked good. Medium Dark amber color. It had a malty but sweaty smell to it. It had a thin head. Then I tasted it and it was very malty, but that sweaty smell was what it tasted like. I tried to drink it, but the more I drank the worse it tasted. I may have gotten a bad one by all the reviews here but it pretty much ruined beer for me for the rest of the night. So, I had to rate this one pretty poorly.

beerloveandhoppiness.com

07-06-2013 00:41:36 | More by yeastlovehoppiness_greg
CU570M

1.98/5  rDev -49.9%

Foggy orange color with no head at all. The smell on this kind of reminded me of baby food. i am not sure about you but that is not something i want to sit back and enjoy. Taste was a bitter lemon, it was ok but was a little too bitter at times. Mouthfeel was thick and felt good but the bitterness is too overwhelming at times. The drinkability for me is low, but if you are a fan of bitter beers i would recomend it.

12-24-2006 15:13:14 | More by CU570M
ELN

2.03/5  rDev -48.6%

I bought this one about 3 years ago. It is brewed not too far from where I live. I don't understand why it's always $8.50-$9 when all our other local beers are usually $6 give or take. Rogue has this and their "Santa" beer, not sure what that's called and some bombers on the local shelves like Safeway or Fred Meyer. (I've never tried any of those). I did not like the flavor of this beer and for being the most expensive of the shelf at Wal Mart (ha ha ha) it really wasn't that good. It seemed like a chore to get it down. If they lowered the price ever I'd try it again.

One time I was watching the news and they said they were going to start shipping this stuff to Japan to crack the market there. I don't know if that means they're tring to be really high class or what. I think if you're local then try to have a regular price like $6 or so everyone can afford.

Deschutes if the best local beer available in all the supermarkets.

11-26-2010 08:14:14 | More by ELN
BeerEngineer

2.13/5  rDev -46.1%

NOTE - I HAD TO GRADE THIS BEER EXTREMELY LOW BECAUSE IT HAD AN INFECTION OF SOME SORT. TERRIBLE ALCOHOLIC BURN AND TASTE, CORN ODOR (DMS) VERY HIGH. I DUMPED THIS BOTTLE.

General - Had a 22 oz bottle of this in the fridge for too long. I used to be a big fan of this but now, not so much. I'm going to try and review this as it should be with the BJCP style 5A. I'm drinking it out of my New Belgium tulip.

Appearance - Color is a deep copper to light brown, somewhere around an SRM of 17. The head is great at first, light and fluffy with a slightly off-white color. Head diminishes quickly.

Aroma - There is a moderate malty scent on this, appropriate for the style. There is a hint of hops with it which is typically not acceptable. Typically a maibock will have very minimal noble hop aroma. There is something wrong with this bottle, I can't tell what it is. I smell something like creamed corn mixed with rubbing alcohol.

Taste - Not going to happen, did you read the aroma section I wrote? Ok so I tasted it anyway. Super bitter, definitely bad. This is infected with something. This sucks. I'm done with this.

Mouthfeel - There is a big astringency with this, it is gross.

Overall - Yikes, I normally don't see DMS in commercially available beers but that's Rogue for you. I used to like this brand and sometime I will give it another review but this one is terrible. I'm not one to dump beer, but I have good stuff in the fridge that I'd rather drink. This beer was infected.

07-03-2013 02:55:51 | More by BeerEngineer
BeerBelcher

2.3/5  rDev -41.8%

From a 12 oz bottle purchased locally here in WI...

The color of this beer was a pretty bright orange, with some haze. The amount of head was not huge, but it had fairly tight bubbles and good staying power.

The smell was a sweet malty one. It smelled like plain yellow cake...that sort of sweetness.

The taste was a big mouthful of maltiness, more so than other maibocks. Very little hoppiness, which I believe is also consistent with the style. I didn't especially care for the taste.

Mouthfeel was a little thin and watery. Despite this, I would rate the drinkability of this beer as very high either based on the fact that I didn't really want to drink another one.

Not sure if I got an old bottle, but I'd prefer Summit's Maibock any day of the week over this one.

12-07-2006 13:30:16 | More by BeerBelcher
Overlord

2.33/5  rDev -41%

Drinking this while I type.

Coppery color, long lasting head (maybe a quarter of a centimeter still here after close to an hour of sipping a bomber). Mouthfeel is somewhat viscuous, and not altogether enjoyable.

I don't like the taste. Has a metallic sweetness I don't find pleasant, and the malt is unappealingly cloying. I don't detect much fruit, maybe a hint of hops and pine, but this is just not fun to drink.

I've been going on a Rogue-sampling binge, and maybe one of the four beers I've tried has been to my taste. I appreciate that folks love the Rogue brewery, but at this point I'm beginning to suspect that their offerings are not for me.

09-23-2007 04:40:05 | More by Overlord
nklatt

2.4/5  rDev -39.2%

I like a hoppy beer, but I found this a bit unbalanced. Has a great head and smell. Goes great with spaghetti.

11-20-2001 11:55:32 | More by nklatt
acarroll413

2.4/5  rDev -39.2%

I was often curious as to what this would taste like exactly. I've seen it sitting on the shelves at my store for a long time. I've never had to refill the runners with it, but I enjoyed the name so I picked up a bottle. It looked good, had a nice color. The head was quite big, which I liked a lot. I don't know if I had a skunky beer, but it smelled terrible. I was shocked at how bitter it tasted, but maybe I shouldn't have been. It wasn't very smooth, and the bitterness remained in my mouth long after I was done with the beer. I wouldn't buy it again.

02-13-2006 19:45:30 | More by acarroll413
Japerrault

Idaho

2.4/5  rDev -39.2%

A: Poured into a pint glass, a somewhat cloudy copper gold ale with a beautiful cream-colored head was observed. Good head retention and nice lacing noticed.

S: Bread, pine, citrus

T: Nothing terrible here. Sweet honey-like grain flavors hit me up front, then a grapefruit-like bitterness in the aftertaste. The two did not blend too well for me. It was like two very separate parts with no harmony, the bitterness just did not finish as well as I would have liked.

M: Rather light mouthfeel. A little thinner than I prefer. Carbonation is good.

D: Overall, this is an "o.k." ale. The lighter body allows one to drink easily, but the after taste was just a little harsh. Others have given this a high rating. Maybe a different bottle will change my opinion.

11-11-2008 01:58:54 | More by Japerrault
rastaman

United Kingdom (England)

2.48/5  rDev -37.2%

A bit odd, similiar in taste to Golden Syrup, a bit too sticky. Quite sticky and sweet, with a touch of salt at the end. Kinda like a bock, just with a bit more hops that i'd usually expect in one. Very odd, flavours didn't mold well at all. Probably my least favourite from a night of tasting many great US beers.

06-16-2003 02:14:05 | More by rastaman
cyrock1

Colorado

2.48/5  rDev -37.2%

Appearance: Deep Gold with a fluffy 1" white head.

Smell: A deep toffee flavor lurking in the back of some sweet malt. Very mild hop profile.

Taste: Candy like taste. Tastes a little like raw wort.

Mouthfeel: Not much carbonation or hops.

Overall: I think I may have gotten a bad beer here because it doesn't fit the profile I thought it would.

04-13-2011 06:09:41 | More by cyrock1
mrasskicktastic

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

A - An amber caramel beer with a nest of large bubbles at the bottom of my pint glass. A moderate sized head that disspates in about a minute leaving no lacing behind.

S - A moderate corn aroma with a bit of a coffe edge over a red licorice sweetness.

T - A slightly sweet red licorice and coffee flavor. There is a grassy ascerbic bitterness in the aftertaste. Not very good.

M - The mouthfeel is very drying, thin and highly carbonated.

D - Not awful, but I'll make a point to avoid this in the future. It isn't undrinkable, but it is far from desirable. The pilsneresque grassyness suggests that it might be good with some foods, but I am not sure what.

05-16-2006 04:48:48 | More by mrasskicktastic
JerseyKirk

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

A: Pours a thick white 2 finger. Retention and lacing are good.

S: Pine, malt then citrus.

T: Slightly bitey with a bitter aftertaste that lingers.

M: Light.

D: I think the beer is ok. I'm not a huge fan of this style of beer so I don't really want to drink more.

03-29-2011 01:38:56 | More by JerseyKirk
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.53/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours like a standard amber/brown beer, smells kind of like old tree clippings left in a covered can for awhile. Musty. Taste is just weird.

Malt bomby, but still with a little bit of hop character, but the malt wood tobacco feel overwhelms the hop character. As it continues, the dirt, earth, dark mahoganny feel to the bottle increases, and you're just about over this beer.

12-27-2009 03:03:40 | More by Beerandraiderfan
jar2574

Missouri

2.55/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tall pilsner glass. Amber color. Plenty of head and good carbonation. Looks tasty. Has a faint smell to it, can't really identify any distinct aromas.

Not too much taste. I'm just not getting that much flavor here, besides a faint taste of alcohol. Don't know what else to say.

This goes down fairly easily, and doesn't make me cringe or anything, but it doesn't really make me want another.

04-17-2007 23:45:55 | More by jar2574
TheHammer

Ontario (Canada)

2.55/5  rDev -35.4%

Got this one in a trade with Ludachris, I've heard this beer got a lot of people on board to the craft scene, so I'm eager to see.

Appearance: Well points of clairity, that is for sure as the body boasts a luxuriously clear light bronze that seems decently carbonated. However the head leaves quite a bit to be desired as barely a pinky made a presence and it did not lace nor sustain.

Smell: A nice blend of honey and malt with a slight touch of spruce like hops. Light notes of caramel as well grace it, which would score much higher if it wasn't so faint and required quite a bit of warming.

Taste: Well it does start very nicely with a good blend of sweet honey and malts with the barest floral taste. As the beer continues though light citrus hops assert themselves and combine at the very end with floral and spruce like elements that cause the beer to end with an unbalanced kick of bitterness. I'd give it a 2.75 if I could to be honest, but I gotta go with the lower end of things here.

Mouthfeel: I really dislike it when a beer is lacking in head, however this isn't the only problem here. The unbalanced kick of hop bitterness really doesn't do me any favours. The light hop aftertaste is a mixed bag that leaves the front of my tongue happy, but the back of it revolted. Carbonation is good, but I wish it didn't accent the end so much.

Drinkability: I find this slightly bellow average. The hopping and mouthfeel certainly don't do it any favors and my stomach isn't completely agreeing with it. However, it does go down better then I though it would and it's not completely absent in the refreshment department.

Final Thoughts: Given the only Maibock I've had before was Holsten, I'm quite disappointed by this beer. I was expecting a lot more diversity out of this and frankly, if the hop presence wasn't so varied this beer would be abysmal. I'm guessing this beer is rated so high is because it probably made a lot of people realize that they are hop heads. That doesn't do it for me though, for me a beer needs balance which this beer is in need of.

10-22-2009 05:12:39 | More by TheHammer
TheLiterati

2.58/5  rDev -34.7%

Amber gold ale, slightly cloudy, generally nice to look at. Aroma of hops, slightly perfumy, even a little flowery.

Taste lacks balance – there’s a bitter, hoppy bite, but not much more. Leaves an unpleasant after taste.

Mouthfeel is full, and momentarily takes your mind off of the bitterness, but not for long.

Doesn’t rank high on the drinkability scale.

11-05-2004 08:47:28 | More by TheLiterati
santoslhalper

2.6/5  rDev -34.2%

Blah. Rogue missed the mark with this one. Too sweet, too malty, and way, way unbalanced. I feel like they just forgot to add any kind of tasty hops. Normally I love Rogue brews, but this is one is just nt my cup of tea. The sweetness really overpowers the other flavors, and winds up destrying what could've been a wonderful brew. Oh well...

01-17-2005 18:20:47 | More by santoslhalper
inlimbo77

Delaware

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle pourted into Long Trail VT pint glass. No bottle date present. Does Rogue ever do this? They should...

A: Clear amber color. Filtered nicely. One finger head, if that. Collapses quickly. Poor carbonation. Good lacing. Age might be a factor to all these.

S: Mild hops, malts and bready yeast flavor. Something smelled off?

T: Yeasty, malts, and no hop backbone. This must be a bad beer here. I wish there was a bottle date.

M: Nothing really. Really watery....really.

D: I couldn't even finish this one. Really wouldn't drink another one...but I might be chalking this up to a skunked OLD beer.

Overall, I was pretty upset with this purchase. I was expecting more.

02-06-2011 19:00:58 | More by inlimbo77
Kevin73

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I guess I have a different opinion about this beer than most people. Part of my dislike may simply be the style, I will have to try more maibocks to be sure. But this one hits you over the head with bready malts and then hits you over the head again with intense honey flavor that somehow manages not to blend very well with the bitter hoppy finish. The flavors were disjointed, separate and it just didn't seem to me like a very well crafted beer.

12-31-2012 18:19:33 | More by Kevin73