Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

On-tap at a local establishment, served in a pint glass

Appears a burnt, light orange. Hazy body with a small tight, white cap. Stuck around for a bit, but didn't leave behind any remnants.

Sweet and citrusy with a doughy backbone.

Sweet malts hit you up front. Spicy, floral hops take over and leave behind a dry, slightly bitter finish.

Medium bodied and creamy.

This beer is very well-balanced with a very pleasing flavor profile. Highly drinkable.

ColForbinBC, Oct 22, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Coudy amber, lacing kind of stringy/wispey.

S: Citrus (orange/tangerine), Floral. For some reason it also seemed a bit apple-y to me.

T: Pretty good balance, a bit more hoppy at the finish. Sweet, citrusy, tart. It kind of changes as you sip from sweet to bitter.

M: Light, clean, feels like it leaves a light coating, highly carbonated but that also compliments the rest of the beer’s profile

O: It is good, but kind of a straight forward beer. Good enough for a regular basis drink, but not quite distinct enough to be a very interesting drink.

MelissaJ, Dec 18, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

This beer pours amber brown with a light head. The head on my beer died fairly quick. The smell is a clean sweet malt. The taste is very surprising. It starts a sweet fruity malt with a bit of a raspberry flavor. The beer has a clean finish with a bit of a hops spice. This beer is clean and smooth without much of a hard bite at all. It’s well blended and goes down smooth. Over all I was quite pleased with this beer. I had never had it before this tasting and it caught me off guard. I would certainly recommend this beer.

eballard, Sep 05, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

This beer pours a light brown sort of amber color and is slightly hazed with a thin foamy off-white head sitting on top leaving behind soe nice lacing on the glass.

Scent is of sweet caramel malt and citrusy hops.

Taste is similar with sweet caramel and a great citrus hop flavor that is only slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and brightly carbonated.

Drinkability is high as this beer is smooth and refreshing with low alcohol and great flavor.

Goliath, Mar 15, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

A: poured a murky orange brown with tangerine highlights that had a thin head and left a little sticky lacing.

S: it had a honey, malt, and boozy aroma with citrus and caramel notes with underlying faint hop notes.

T: caramel and a slight hop bite strike first with a sweet malty backbone which had citrus accents.

M: light to medium body with a low amount of carbonation that had a slight sweet and bitter finish.

D: very drinkable beer that went down great in the hot sun poolside with a cuban cigar.

Gobzilla, Jul 13, 2010
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

I had this brew in a 12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. It pours an orangish-red color with 2 fingers of head and a little bit of lacing. The smell was just a little weak. It smelled of citrus and hops a little bit. The taste is a good mix of fruit and hops and is very well balanced. It is a very soothing ale, if that makes any sense. The mouthfeel was just a tad bit oily. The drinkability is great, and this is a pretty unique ale.

SheepNutz, Jun 15, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

This is a darker orange colored beer with a relatively weak head on top. Very grainy and salty smell to it. Not all that aromatic. Has a nice bitterness to it. I'm not really sure what type of hops this beer uses, but they are quite delicious. The maltieness is the major note and reminds me of a hearty bread, but it is well balanced with the hops. It is clean and crisp and easy to drink. A nice offering from Rogue.

cracgor, Apr 08, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

On Tap in NYC at the Blind Tiger Ale House. Coppery/reddish body with a thin white head. Aroma is fruity and tea like. I specifically smelled grapes. Taste is definitely on the hoppy side of things. Good pale malt backbone. Strong hop bitterness throughout. A full and smooth mouthfeel. This beer is close to IPA territory.

palma, Apr 21, 2004
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

A deep amber color that was very cloudy. A white head of about an inch vanished quickly, leaving a slick across the top. Average amount of medium sized carbonation bubbles. Minimal thin lacing.

A nice pine scent had a disticnt note of hops on the first whiff. The first whiff ended with a citric quality. Additional scents show a very nice balance between the hops and a malted aroma. Very appealing.

A bitter pine taste was the strongest element of the flavor. There is an underlying burnt malt taste to add sweetness to the bitter. No taste of the citrus noted in the aroma.

Decent feel. Medium carbonation helped the thick body to spread.

Overall a very good beer. A great choice to go with a nice pork roast dinner. Another great offering from a very good brewery. Pick it up and enjoy it yourself.

RedChrome, Oct 27, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Package: 12 ounce bottle. No freshness date.

Appearance: Hazy amber with thick off-white head.

Smell: Fruity aroma (citrus and apple) with malt sweetness and slight alcohol presence.

Taste: Mix of malt sweetness and strong hops bitterness tastes up front. Roasted caramel flavor comes in next, along with a hint of fruitiness. Strong hops bitterness and malt sweetness then make their presence known again and follows into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Slight carbonation upfront that fades away quickly. Finish is a bit thin. Almost like the flavors go away for a moment but then come back (from the dead) again for the aftertaste.

Drinkability: Wow is this easy to drink. I didn’t realize it was 6.5% ABV until after I finished it. You would never know it.

Comments: Very flavorful brew, extremely easy to drink. The dead finish provides an interesting effect. Thank you Keith (stegmakk) for the bottle.

Denali, Mar 20, 2003
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Wow I would have thought I had reviewed this already as it was one of the first Rogue's I had tried. Must have slipped through the cracks.

Pours a deep amber with a nice off white head. Nice malty nose with a light nuttiness and caramel undertone. Taste is very nice with a soft rich maltiness. A good substitute for an Oktoberfest when they go out of season and you need a fix. Mouthfeel is good and medium bodied with average carbonation. Drinkability is good. Maybe a bit $$$ for an everyday fix, but if you have a malty Marzen/maibock jones this is an able substitute.

TinusTime, Jul 30, 2005

12 FL. OZ.
No dates

Appearance – mostly clear amber body; off white head that pours to about ¾ inch and crackles away early; little lace

Smell – spicy hops, grains and dark fruit sweetness blended nicely

Taste – coppery grainy; good push of hops; German influence; bitterness plays a major role in quelling the plum sweetness; aftertaste is mega hops and some of the plum continues

Mouthfeel & Drinkability – light oily texture and moderate carbonation through the feel aid drinkability; nice close that’s not too dry

Dead Guy wouldn’t be a bad choice when the warmer weather arrives.

Wonka, Mar 12, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours to a cloudy golden orange with minimal head.

Smell is mostly of malt and a bit of hops not much there.

The taste surprised me with a well balance of malty sweetness up front cutting to a nice hop bite with a breath of alcohol. The hops weren't too strong but just right.

Mouthfeel was creamy with a little carbonation.

This beer is very drinkable nice and balanced. Great choice!

SudNut, Nov 15, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

A- Hazy golden brown (more golden than brown) with hefty head and epic lace!

S- sweet/citrusy

T- Hops grab the taste buds, FULL flavor, a bit floral with slightly sweet finish. The higher alcohol content is slightly noticeable.

M- Plenty of carbonation but not overboard. Medium body

O- Strong on flavor. Hops are a bit strong. I recommend for pale ale fans. I think this is a well crafted beer. It doesn't exactly hit my personal taste, but it is a great full flavored beer.

akgrandon, Dec 17, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

I like this one quite a bit. Much better than their American Amber. Aroma is mainly malty with some light grapefruit, apricot, grapes, and yeast. Pours a medium cloudy amber with a small off-white head that goes away. Flavor is good, sweet throughout with a nice alcoholic bite in the finish. Quite nice. I would by this again and serve to dinner guests, well worth getting a sixxer if you can find one.

BMan1113VR, Feb 07, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

I've had Rogue's Dead Guy on a number of occasions. Each time I have it, it's better than the last. I assume it's because my palate is evolving. It's possible I'm nuts, but I'd like to think I'm holding it together pretty well. Anyway, on to the review of one of my favorite beers:

Appearance - Though I'm not an expert in color nomenclature, it appeared to be an attractive burnt orange. My pouring technique was a bit sloppy and heavy so a thick head formed and dissipated semi-quickly leaving a bit of lacing on the glass.

Aroma - I first detected a significant malty sweetness in concert with orange zest notes. Upon further investigation, I dug out a bit of spiciness and some raisin/prune smells.

Taste - Early in the taste, I got a good dose of what I think is caramel malt and piney bitterness. They seemed to be so well balanced that I had a hard time picking them out individually to put a name/quality to the really impressive taste I was getting. Swallowing revealed a bit of honey and as the beer warmed (maybe even past the ideal temp) the honey became more pronounced and helped reveal earthy. grassy, and bread-like flavors.

Mouthfeel - The beer had a medium body that I felt wasn't too syrupy (is that even a word?) for the taste but was possibly inching toward it. There wasn't a whole lot of carbonation and it felt soft in my mouth, which I quite liked. I do have to note that I agitated this beer quite a few times to try to reveal aromas I thought were there (and may be there that I'm just not finding) so I probably "swirled out" a fair bit of the carbonation.

Drinkability - The medium mouthfeel with a faintly oily finish made me salivate after each sip. I felt pained putting the beer down and picking the pen up knowing I'd have to wait a tick to imbibe again. I could probably drink four-ish of these, my usual limit for beer consumption. It might have too much sweetness to be an all-nighter, though. I'd recommend a switch to SNPA when this becomes too sweet; the American pale worked well after this Mai-ale for me on at least one occasion.

Overall, I really love this beer and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to my best friend, my most discerning beer buddy, or my boss.

Unfortunately, my scores might be a bit low because I'm "hedging my bets" to allow myself some wiggle room on future beer reviews. I can't just give this thing an easy "A" having only one other review under my BA belt, though I'd really like to.

Wutz, Feb 25, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Keel-hauled and had a man walk the plank with this one on 8/28/2004. 16-oz. pour in a standard pint glass at the Blue Mermaid in Portsmouth, NH.

Flaky film of head to start, with just a smidgen of lace as the glass became less full. Copper, slightly weak metallic brown hue, but still fathomable. Treacly malt bouquet that seems to be a plaintive, calling aspect overall. Garrulous malt freneticism to taste, with aged pablum, plums, toasted sesame seeds, and light brown sugar sweetness, though hidden. Experienced an upper mouth slam with a back tongue coolness while partaking. Cacophanous malt affords this brew a simple but direct statement of “Don’t mess with the dead guy, or you'll be dancing with bears!”

Truh, Nov 15, 2004

Rogue Dead Guy Ale
12 oz bottle
Recent bottling, resurrected 10/06
Medium pour in a pint glass.

Poured a hazy reddish copper with a medium off white somewhat diminishing fizzy head.

Smelt of sweet caramel corn candy, allspice, butterscotch.

Taste was upfront moderate grainy bitterness and moderate caramel sweetness followed by a moderate butterscotch and spices bitterness on a long strong hoppy grassy and sour lime, slightly candied finish. Mouthfeel was medium to full bodied, syrupy, soft to lively carbonation with light to moderate astringency.

Overall, the smell alone makes this a must try. A bit aggressive on the palate for some, but eccentrically balanced and stands out beautifully.

xav33, Oct 26, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

I poured a bottle into a pilsner glass.

Appearance- Hazy amber with a fingers worth of blonde head. Nice amount of lacing.

Smell- Bready malt with a light sweetness. Just a hint of some kind of fruit.

Taste- Just like it smells.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied and smooth. Nice carbonation.

Overall- Good brew. I am really looking forward to having this again. This is a perfect example of why this style of beer is my favorite.

scratch69, Mar 14, 2012
4.09/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz. bottle poured into a tumbler

A- a nearly translucent (chill haze?) amber/honey/light orange hints, with a small white head, a little lacing.

S- Malts with a BIG honey sweetness.

T- Taste is far more complex, a very smooth honey sweetness is cut by a very balanced bitterness and slightly earthy hop component. Bitterness lingers.

M- Smoooth, with a prickly, tight carbonation. Medium bodied.

O- The quintessential Maibock.

JWU, Jul 28, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a bottle into my Otter Creek nonic.

Pours a hazy, orangeish apricot hue with a small, white head that recedes quickly, leaving stringy, loose lacing sliding down the inside of the glass. Lazy lines of carbonation rise up from the bottom. Nose is full of sweet malts with hints of some spicy notes. Hops are barely detectable at the end.

Big malty kick to start, with nuances of sweet fruit and toasted grain. Little bit of yeasty breadiness as well. This is tempered by the appearance of light, bitter hops which provide the brew with an even balance of bitter and sweet. Rounds off with a hoppy finish, and a slight lingering aftertaste of fruits and caramel. Mouthfeel has a crispness to it, with an almost chewy quality. Medium-bodied with a creamy finish, it's quite palatable.

Drinkability is quite good. With a well-balanced flavor profile, a pleasant mouthfeel and a relatively light ABV, Dead Guy Ale is very drinkable. Rogue has let me down before with their line of oddball beers, but I'm liking this brew. Wouldn't mind knocking back a couple of these every once in a while.

r0nyn, Feb 04, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

This beer was poured into an Imperial pint glass at 52° from a 12 ounce bottle. There was no date information on the bottle. There was a little over 2 fingers of creamy white head which lasted approximately 4 minutes. A slight amount of foam stayed on the glass as the head dissipated. The beer was a very slight hazy light orange tea color.

I thought there was a hop smell with the pour but when sensing the bouquet it was more of sweet malt with hops lingering in the background.

Hops were more prevalent in the taste with the bitterness being quickly noticeable. The malt kicked in later on further tasting. It was very interesting to sense one and then the other and then vice versa.

The interesting integration of aroma and taste resulted in a successful marriage in the mouth also. There was also a slight warming sensation from the alcohol. This was rather a nice arrangement.

Overall this was a well combined effort with the senses having a go at the hops, malt, and alcohol presence. There was not a lot of lacing later on but it is still a keeper, at least for a little while.

SMark, Feb 19, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Very good strong ale. Malty sweetness is balanced with assertive hopping. Another fine Rogue brew.

QXSTER1, Sep 30, 2001
4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a clear dark amber. Big sea foam head. Well marked lacings.

Beautifully intertwined malt and hop characters on the nose. Fresh baked bread and caramel, but with a contrasting American hop presence.

As a malt guy, I sometimes find it hard to find a brew that uses American hops like cascade that provide me with the balance I enjoy. Dead Guy achieves this balance perfectly. A faint caramel sweetness, and slightly grainy malt, with some warming alcohol, come up pretty hard against some serious bittering hops, I believe they're pearle, very herby, while cascades provide that refreshing zing. Nonetheless, it works overall.

Great mouthfeel, creamy smooth and subdued carbonation.

A very drinkable beer, I'll buy more of these.

CanuckRover, Jul 08, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

I have seen this beer out there so many times, I thought I would take the opportunity to give it a try. I don't know much about Maibocks but I can detect a kinship with Altbier, perhaps, in a certain dry toastiness to the malt, if that makes any sense. But Maibock is a lager and Alt is an ale, so it doesn't really make any sense. Whatever. I would have guessed that this is particularly nice American pale ale.

So, this coppery clear brew raises a frothy head that recedes to nothing after a short while, a few wisps of lace are left.

Aroma is predominantly malty, caramel, hints of fruitiness. On the palate there is soft carbonation and medium body, a bit sticky in the finish. Taste is much less sweet than expected from the smell...but sweetness is there, but a masterful balance of crisp hoppy bitterness, hints of spice and alcohol tingling, a constant interplay between malt and hops that keeps this substantial beer almost refreshing...not a dry thirst quencher, but invigorates the palate. This aspect makes this beer quite drinkable, even as I am licking the sweet malt of my lips, I am ready to reach for another. Great with food. Very well made brew.

kenito799, Mar 28, 2008