Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

I know I have had this beer before. I just don’t remember anything about it. I do know that everything I have had from Rogue has been good. As the “what they said” says, they do the opposite of what everyone else is doing. It works. They just make a good beer. Let’s get to it.

Oh, and the label is supposed to be glow-in-the-dark. It’s not. Not this bottle anyway. Oh well.

In the Glass: This beer has a really deep orange color to it. It also is pretty cloudy. It almost looks like there is yeast floating around the beer. There might be. I don’t know. But it looks delicious in the glass.

Nose: Whoa, what a nose. What is that? I have no idea but it smells incredible. I want to say it smells like an orange, but the sweetness is what is causing that. It has some spice in there too, and while this beer has a very low ABV it might just have some heat on it. Let’s see.

Flavor: The beer smells better than it tastes. I hate that too. The beer does get better as it slides across your palate, but the flavor isn’t really there until the aftertaste. You get some of those spices kicking in after you swallow, but the smell demands a better tasting beer. That’s just too bad.

Mouthfeel: There are a lot of bubbles up front. We are drinking this right out of the fridge, so maybe it tastes better as it heats up. But man. I wanted this beer to be more than it is. Thinking back to the sweetness on the nose, it hits you for a second on the back middle of the tongue. But that’s it. The aftertaste starts sweet, but is quickly taken over by the spice.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is solid. The nose is amazing, the flavor pretty much stinks, and the aftertaste is at least worth talking about. I keep going back to those spices, but man. There is a ton of spice in the aftertaste. I am thinking cinnamon, and while that’s not it… it is what it reminds me of. Burnt caramel. Maybe that’s it. Anyway, the aftertaste is solid.

This beer is good, and it comes from a VERY popular brewery out west. I have enjoyed almost every Rogue beer I have had. I just hate that this seems sort of bottom of the barrel. No pun intended.

Dead Guy Ale - The bottle says: Nothing. The bottle doesn’t say anything at all.

4.03/5  rDev +2%

Bottle into tulip. Bottled end of Dec 2011.

The first craft beer I've ever had. It's been a long journey since this, I think it's time to review it.

A- Crystal clear dark copper pour with a three finger soapy off white head. Super sticky chunky lacing all over the glass.

S- Slight fruitiness (apples) with a subtle hop and a strong malt backing. There is a touch of sweetness added to the mix.

T- There is a cereal taste right up front with a subtle stone fruit and citrus. Lingering bitter aftertaste.

M- Light to medium bodied. Decent carbonation and slightly slick feeling.

Good solid beer. I can really see why this got me hooked in the first place. I actually remember my first sips this beer being "too intense" as I drank it from the bottle. It's amazing how things change :)

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%