1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Dead Guy AleDead Guy Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

ceraphin, Dec 01, 2011

bigox420, Dec 01, 2011

PaBeerLover, Dec 01, 2011

cbnz, Dec 01, 2011

modernartblues, Dec 01, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

This so happens to be the first craft beer I ever had. Not the exact one, of course. I mean, I didn't drink half of it and save the rest to try six years later, although I suppose that would have been an interesting, if highly oxidized, experiment. No, what I mean is that my first ever craft beer was a Dead Guy, bought as part of a mixed six the day after I turned 21. I had not revisited it until my 27th birthday, when a shiny new six pack was gifted me by my sister. To be honest I didn't care for it the first time I tried it (I thought it was too bitter, ha ha) and it isn't something I would have picked up for myself, but since it was given to me and it is somewhat of a craft beer living legend, I figured, why not? I can only hope the review is half as boring and rambling as this introduction.

A- Fairly standard dark amber with a thin head that quickly dissipates into a thinner lace.

S- Has that nice, characteristic bock sweetness that's reminiscent of homemade bread and caramel. Perhaps leans a little too far on the sweet side without any hint of hops to balance it out. About what you'd expect from your typical maibock.

T- Quite dry, actually, which is kind of a nice surprise given that the smell indicated it might be a touch cloying. Crackerlike malt is the dominant flavor with a good dose of grassy hops (I can actually see why I might have found this too bitter when I first tried it) and just a touch of lightly fruity, alcohol sweetness. Clean finish with a moderate bitterness. Pac-Man (the game) > Pacman yeast > Pacman Jones. Just throwing that out there.

M- Medium body, slightly slick, fairly low (but adequate) carbonation.

Actually a little better than I expected. I was kind of expecting a malty, unbalanced mess, but it was nicely balanced and quite drinkable. A pleasant surprise. I don't know that I'd go out of my way to buy it (especially given Rogue's outrageous prices) but it's not bad at all. Recommended for a decent everyday beer if the price is right.

vtfan77, Nov 30, 2011

kelvarnsen, Nov 30, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Copper color with a nice head.

Aroma: Decent balance of hops and toasty malts.

Taste: Flavorful but not overpowering hops up front with toasty, buiscut and bready/grainy malts in the finish. Nice aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light/ medium body with excessive carbonation that somewhat hinders the flavor.

Overall: This beer is the epitome of balance and has one of the best flavor profiles i can think of. It's delicious. the only issue I have with it is the excessive carbonation, but that can be made up for with a hard pour. Delicious.

jmarklan, Nov 30, 2011

QuickSilver08, Nov 28, 2011

daant76, Nov 27, 2011

Tpsauer, Nov 27, 2011

650ml bomber poured into tulip 27/11/11

A hazy amber with just a few bubbles but a nice two finger cream colored head that hangs for a few minuets leaving a ring of lace

S quite sweet with some caramel and honey, a little citric hops but mostly sweet malts and a little rum

T pretty close to the nose with a little bread and dry cereal, slightly fruity but plenty of toffee

M heavy for the color with more bubbles then one could see in the glass, leaves toffee flavors for a little while

O a little sweet but well within my enjoyment level, pretty good stuff at the end of the day no major flaws and solid in all areas

I'm a little surprised I've never reviewed this one before, I remember having a growler of this stuff last year but I guess never bothered entering it in here. I could drink this again for sure I just wish Rogue didn't cost 8$+ a bomber around here

wordemupg, Nov 27, 2011