Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
THECPJ

Delaware

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Reviewed from notes:

Appearance: Orangish brown with 2 fingerhead

Smell: spicy malt aroma, biscuity

Taste: caramel malts, little hop appearance

Mouthfeel: mild carbonation, smooth

Drinkability: very easy drinkable ale from these guys.

Cheers,
the CPJ

03-02-2011 20:19:21 | More by THECPJ
Digimaika2

Ontario (Canada)

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Nice big single inch of foam that vanishes quick! Light orange/brownish colour.

S: Pine, honey, some floral scents, and lingering biscuity malts.

T: A sweet and syrupy malt taste dominates, with some hops coming through aswell. Overall well balanced between the malts and hops. Little kick of bitterness near the end evolves into a comfortable, warming sweetness.

M: Thick, oily and creamy mouthfeel but the thickness works well. A bit more carbonation than I was expecting but not a turnoff.

D: I will definitely be purchasing this again, but considering the oily thickness and overall sweetness I don't think I could have too many in a night. Overall a delicious beer that I would recommend.

03-01-2011 02:40:48 | More by Digimaika2
Duckmancgy

Alberta (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving: 12oz bottle to pint glass

After opening but before pouring I noticed the smell from the bottle was more malty than I expected.

Pouring showed a gorgeous coppery tan colour and a nice inch and half of soft head. The head started to dissipate as soon as i started to carry the glass to the other room. At this point the smell really carried sweet maltiness with an after thought of flowery hops.

First taste surprised me, a bit too carbonated for my usual palate, but nice sweetness. My wife complained of bitterness but I didn't notice it as much (could be me being used to higher hopped IPA's).

Mouthfeel was surprisingly good, even with the higher carbonation than I was used to. The carbonation seemed to be smaller bubbled which spread across my tongue and really mellowed out nicely. Unfortunately the flavouring wasn't something I was all that pleased with so can't really see this being something I would drink as often as others.

Surprisingly enough I really really enjoy the double dead guy, but not so much the regular dead guy..

02-26-2011 20:33:46 | More by Duckmancgy
Franz4

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

On draft 2/22/11

A- copper color, slightly hazy but not much, no head on it by the time it got to my table.

S- nose was biscuity with the malts seeming somewhat subdued

T- again, malty, buttery biscuits, also seemed a little sweeter than normal.

M- very smooth, carbonation seemed appropriate

D- I'm a little puzzled by this one, as it seemed a little off. Dead Guy is one of my old favorites, but I wasn't feeling this one. It also had the disadvantage of following a CBC Creeper, but measures were taken to cleanse the palatte.

02-25-2011 20:37:31 | More by Franz4
tbraun1

Maryland

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

12oz bottle to pint glass

Appearance - Golden amber color, two finger creamy head and circles of lacing with each sip. Beautiful contrast between the copper amber color and white frothy head.

Smell - Sweet malts jump at your nose, with a subtle spicy hop undertone. Yeast leaves a bit of fruity esters as well.

Taste - Hops are more pronounced than what hits your nose but is a great balance with the malts in this brew. Has just enough bite and pronounced alcohol in the finish. When it warmed up a little, had a nice bread like aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Beer feels somewhat heavy to medium heavy on the palate and is not overly carbonated.

Drinkability - This is the first time I have tried this brew and I am very pleased. A nice balance; Not too hoppy, not too malty, and a nice alcohol kick that lets you know it means business. Very well balanced indeed. Would purchase again.

02-25-2011 01:20:02 | More by tbraun1
wrcraigl

This is by far my most favorite beer to drink on any occasion. The price can be a little steep but have a growler I can refill that makes it reasonable. It is not available at enough places, I have to go out of my way to find it. This beer on draught has no competition.

02-24-2011 23:53:14 | More by wrcraigl
quisatzhaderach

Oregon

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

The beer pours a cloudy copper with a dense head.

The aroma is dominated by a very appropriate malt character, which is finely complimented by a unique and clean yeast presence.

The taste is nuanced and malty, backed by a balanced hop bitterness. There is a strange (but wonderful) oceanic note to the finish.

The liquid is almost creamy, but finishes with a blunted carbonation.

The beer is quite drinkable, for a sturdy beer lover.

02-23-2011 20:50:52 | More by quisatzhaderach
zrab11

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

A-Pours a golden, light copper color with a nice 1 finger head that sits on top awhile

S-Hints of peach with a nice carmely apple aroma to it

T-The hoppy alchol tickles your tongue but then the crisp apple with carmel comes in and makes this well balanced

M-Light bodied,very crisp,feels good in the mouth.covers your palate well

D-Love this beer from rogue. This could be a great spring -summer beer. Even though i enjoyed mine in the winter. ITs a beer you can get 2-3 of in a night and be very satisfied.

02-22-2011 13:16:30 | More by zrab11
kbrady9

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

A- A light copper color. Fairly small head that dissipates quickly. Nice lacing though.

S-I bought a six pack about 3 weeks ago and this is the last beer. I am not much a fan of bocks, but I tried to give this one a chance over time. I have grown to appreciate the straightforward, sweet and malty aroma. I prefer a beer heavy on hops, but for a Bock this one is very impressive.

T-The beer is sweet, but not offputting for someone who does not enjoy sweet beers. Very malty until the end when a bit of bitterness comes through. It's the best tasting bock I have had.

M-A thick, almost creamy character when it first hits the palate. Goes down very smooth. Would not call this crisp.

D-If you are a Bock fan, this is a good choice. Very drinkable beer, more than a sipper.

02-22-2011 02:44:28 | More by kbrady9
chicagoabbot

on-tap at Five Star Bar here...ok, I guess Five Star is pretty good after all, considering the selection.

Pours a golden reddish color...head is not extensive but respectable...aroma is quite in favor of the malty side of things.

A malty ale....quite strong....must also be quite drinkable, because I had three of them.

Cheers, recommended.

02-21-2011 05:18:03 | More by chicagoabbot
joelshults

Alabama

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

I really had no idea what to expect from this beer. I've seen it in the store a hundred times but never bought it. I always thought it was a dark and bitter beer for some reason. I guess that's how I think of Dead Guy's, dark and bitter.

But it is really on the opposite end of the spectrum. It's a beautiful copper color with a sweet malty smell. But the crazy thing is the flavor. It tastes like honey and in a completely opposite way of what you're probably thinking. It isn't cloyingly sweet or thick. The flavor has all of the floral taste of an expensive, organic honey. This beer is absolutely delicious and I am not a fan of sweet beers.

It seems like they might be missing a huge audience with the packaging. I really like the whole Dia de la Muerta thing they have going on, but I would think that this beer would sell like gangbusters to women if you named it something that was more reminiscint (sp?) of what it actually tastes like.

I haven't been this surprised by a beer in a long time. Absolutely delicious. And I just looked up there at the top of this page and see that it's 6.5% ABV. Holy Crap! I would've guessed 4%.

02-18-2011 22:45:18 | More by joelshults
fdw3

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a translucent orange/amber color with a healthy off-white head that retains and laces moderately well. Smells of sweet malt, honey, and molasses combined with floral hop notes. Taste stays true to smell and the malty sweetness of honey and caramel are up front but fade to a hoppy bitterness in the back. Body is medium with moderate carbonation for a very smooth, yet crisp feel.

A deliciously balanced beer with high drinkability. Alcohol is well hidden and sweet notes are not overpowering -- definitely a beer I will come back to. I've added this to my long list of favorites from Rogue!

02-16-2011 21:47:46 | More by fdw3
generallee

4.63/5  rDev +17.2%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Rogue Dead Guy pint glass.

Appearance: From the pour I got a good thick and creamy off white head. This sits on top of a beautiful medium orange amber body with a light haze. As I drink the head slowly fades to a wispy covering and leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

Smell: The aroma is full of bready sweetness, bready yeast and mellow hops.

Taste/Palate: The flavor has good toasted and bready maltiness with some mild caramel, toffee and light nutty notes. This is backed up with nice herbal/floral hop balance. It finishes well balanced and extremely drinkable. The palate has a smooth full feel with soft carbonation.

Notes: In my opinion this a very well made and wonderfully balanced Maibock. (Dead on for the style.)

02-16-2011 15:41:06 | More by generallee
tjsdomer2

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Golden brown. A very nice and rather unique color. Can't say the foam is outstanding, but it was pretty good all the same. Great lacing and swirling carbonation. Excellent!

Smell: I don't really know what to make of this. It's not bad, that's for sure, but kind of smells like musty bread. When it warms, some nice caramel notes come through.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Overall, this has a bread-like maltiness to it. Some balanced sweetness in the background. I don't find this amazing though. The flavors don't really come together well enough for me to give this a 4. Mouthfeel is good though with nice carbonated feel. Slightly watery in the finish, but thats only bad enough to prevent an excellent rating.

Drinkability: Not that exciting in my opinion, but its mellow enough to kick back a few.

Overall: Definitely disappointed with this. Rogue XS Imperial Red is a better bet.

02-16-2011 06:31:12 | More by tjsdomer2
HopzMan

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

One of my favorites from Rouge! Slightly darker copper appreance. Nice strong stench that fills your nostrils. It has a very unique strong taste at first but leaves a nice smooth after taste. I have never had it on tap but bottled is just as good I assume. Highly suggested if you have not tried and are a big Bock fan...

02-15-2011 21:46:13 | More by HopzMan
Shrews629

Kentucky

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance - Very nice copper/dark orange/amber color. Off white head that was somewhat small, but tight. Not much retention, but did leave some pretty good lacing on the glass. It's hazy with some lighter orange highlights.

Smell - In the smell, I detected some well rounded caramel sweetness. Hints of peach and a fragrance similar to a candy apple. Some breadiness is there, but it seems to be pushed to the side to let the sweetness come through.

Taste - The taste revealed some caramel and some dry wheat bread. Some candy sweetness with the ripe apple. Very well balanced. Some prominent bitterness tickles the tongue. Only a small, welcome alcohol warmth and flavor.

Mouthfeel - Medium mouthfeel. Smooth. Crisp. Dry and slightly refreshing. Covers the palate very well. Leaves plenty of flavor behind.

Drinkability - This, once again, is a solid, well rounded effort from Rogue. They are quickly becoming one of my favorite brewers. This brew is easily drinkable. Would work well at any point during the year. It is considerably sweet, so that may deter some, but it would still be enjoyable for me through several rounds. Worth a try if you haven't tried it yet.

02-15-2011 21:37:48 | More by Shrews629
joshuasamantha

4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

Had on-tap, in growler, and in bottle. Lived in Oregon for awhile so I frequented the brewery whenever I had the chance. Will always be one of the better Rogue offerings in my opinion. Perfectly well-balanced hops and malt with a smooth coppery finish. Reddish-brown in color and not hazy with a relatively strong abv%. Highly recommended!

02-14-2011 04:21:29 | More by joshuasamantha
paxkey

Ontario (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev +2%

picked up a 6 at the summerhill lcbo.
love the bottle. great label and cap.

beer smell wafts up from bottle when i pop the cap.

the beer looks great in a glass. 3 finger fluffy white head off an aggressive pour.

the color is straight amber. a bit hazy in glass. head is sticking around.

great balance of hops and malts makes this delicious and drinkable.

02-11-2011 04:24:48 | More by paxkey
bucklemyshoe

Georgia

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Pint on-tap at Mellow Mushroom, into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

A: The pour is mohogany with a finger of frothy foam that laces very well.

S: Nuttiness, caramel, toffee, and toast. It smells like a lagered version of a brown ale or strong ESB.

T: This has much more flavor on-tap; butterscotch, hazelnut, sweet caramel and bready malts, and some light chocolatey notes.

M: It has a medium body that is quite creamy with perfection carbonation levels.

D: This is a pretty good brew that often gets over-looked due to the bashing of Rogue. When it's reasonably priced, it is well worth drinking.

02-09-2011 14:12:24 | More by bucklemyshoe
Lauthaha

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a half-liter beer glass.

Appearance: Light amber/tan color, slightly translucent. Good carbonation, with a foamy off-white head.

Smell: Sweet, thick maltiness with a well-balanced floral hop profile. I would have pegged it for an IPA.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Bite-n-crisp; bitter hop/herb flavor is corroborated by a mild floral kick. After the carbonation kicks in, a mellow breadiness takes hold. The aftertaste is hop oil and herb flavor.

Drinkability: It's okay. A touch less taste than I remembered/expected, but not a bad beer at all. Personally, however, I'd be reluctant to put up $5 for a deuce-deuce of the sweet juice known as Dead Guy Ale.

02-07-2011 03:26:31 | More by Lauthaha
inlimbo77

Delaware

2.6/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle pourted into Long Trail VT pint glass. No bottle date present. Does Rogue ever do this? They should...

A: Clear amber color. Filtered nicely. One finger head, if that. Collapses quickly. Poor carbonation. Good lacing. Age might be a factor to all these.

S: Mild hops, malts and bready yeast flavor. Something smelled off?

T: Yeasty, malts, and no hop backbone. This must be a bad beer here. I wish there was a bottle date.

M: Nothing really. Really watery....really.

D: I couldn't even finish this one. Really wouldn't drink another one...but I might be chalking this up to a skunked OLD beer.

Overall, I was pretty upset with this purchase. I was expecting more.

02-06-2011 19:00:58 | More by inlimbo77
dbaker61

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: This one foamed all over upon opening, so my tasting had to wait while I cleaned up. Finally poured into the glass, it produced a creamy one inch head which dissipated slowly, leaving delicate lacing. The color is an orange-brown, a bit cloudy.

Smell: Spicey and fruity, with a good dose of hops in the nose. Very nice; I forgive it for being in such a hurry to get out of the bottle.

Taste: More spice, wonderful hops slightly dominating the ample sweet maltiness. Great balance.

Mouthfeel: Big, big body, lots of chewy flavors. Finishes nicely dry.

Drinkability: The Dead Guy is very tasty, I'd have another if I had one here. Definitely a beer to try more than once.

02-05-2011 13:10:00 | More by dbaker61
MikeInThe517

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's not bad. I don't know if it's quite worth 13 bucks for a six pack.

It tastes like iced-tea (with a hint of lemon) flavored beer--a good mid/late spring/early summer kind of flavor (but alas it is early February here in Michigan)

First tried this on tap at the Edgewater Tavern in Chicago. It was something of an enigma then and it's something of an enigma now. Not that there's anything fundamentally wrong with that.

02-05-2011 06:53:28 | More by MikeInThe517
r0nyn

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a bottle into my Otter Creek nonic.

Pours a hazy, orangeish apricot hue with a small, white head that recedes quickly, leaving stringy, loose lacing sliding down the inside of the glass. Lazy lines of carbonation rise up from the bottom. Nose is full of sweet malts with hints of some spicy notes. Hops are barely detectable at the end.

Big malty kick to start, with nuances of sweet fruit and toasted grain. Little bit of yeasty breadiness as well. This is tempered by the appearance of light, bitter hops which provide the brew with an even balance of bitter and sweet. Rounds off with a hoppy finish, and a slight lingering aftertaste of fruits and caramel. Mouthfeel has a crispness to it, with an almost chewy quality. Medium-bodied with a creamy finish, it's quite palatable.

Drinkability is quite good. With a well-balanced flavor profile, a pleasant mouthfeel and a relatively light ABV, Dead Guy Ale is very drinkable. Rogue has let me down before with their line of oddball beers, but I'm liking this brew. Wouldn't mind knocking back a couple of these every once in a while.

02-04-2011 16:52:18 | More by r0nyn
CaptDavyJones

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured a clear copper color from a 12 oz bottle. No freshness date or ABV on the label.
Nice one finger head that dissipates slowly. Good carbonation.
Aroma is high on malts with some hints of spice.
Taste is also high on malts with a sweetish finish, hints of honey. Good lacing along the inside of the glass.
Easy to drink and can be a good sessions beer. Worth a try.

02-03-2011 06:12:09 | More by CaptDavyJones