Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

4.09/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a brown bottle featuring a skeleton sitting atop a barrel.

A: Copper. Poured with very little head.

S: Bready, nutty and a little salty. Seems like there's some alcohol presence. Some residual floral hop.

T: Wow. The flavor really ramps up on this. It starts sweet with some alcohol sweetnes, caramel, toasty and then the hops kick in. Some lemon peel and grapefruit then give way to a floral, but bitter finish. The aftertaste is all bitter and citrus and it keeps going and going.

M: Carbonation on the tip of the tongue yeilding to a mouth-coating then pleasantly astringent finish that lingers. Might be my imagination, but I think I even get a bit of alcohol evaporation.

D: Really drinkable beer. The flavors are compelling and make you want another.

Overall: Sure, the label will make you buy it, but the flavor will keep you coming back. I really like this beer for the flavors it pits against one another.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass
A: fairly small white head which disapated pretty quickly. Heald the glass up to the light and saw mainly a transparents amber color
S: I noticed a dark caramelly smell, mixed with a faint light hop smell.
T:Virtually no alcohol taste, blended beautifully with light hops and light caramel malt. Exactly what the smell told me.
M: light carbonation made this feel great in my mouth.
D: Awesome. All the elements combined made this beer insanely drinkable with incredible flavors being bounced around. Can't wait to buy a growler this weekend and really go to town

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

Reviewing a 650ml Dead Guy Ale bill as a 7%abv.
My liquor stores recently started carrying these and hope many more to come. But American microbrew's are rare enough in this area to make this is a special nostalgic tasting. As a vegan though I really don't give a shit what animal goes best with this beer.

A: Two thick fingers of head with medium-large bubbles. Looks quite carbonated from a not so long pour. A deep amber color, quite impressed by its majestic hue of sunset.

S: Great aroma. It smells like a bock, a bit lighter though. Maltiness for sure, but cant locate the malt as being necessarily specific to the style. A hint of cookies.

T: Excellent! Its not as dense as most bocks but provides a manageable thickness. Has a very nice malt flavor but not enough to be heavy. A quenching bitterness that is also not overpowering for the style.

M: A moderate fizzy feeling with a hint of alcohol in the aftertaste that surfaces.

D: Definitely drinkable. The price makes it a bit out of reach in my market, but as a tall, this is a very refreshing yet strong ale which I have come back to.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

4.16/5  rDev +5.3%

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours an amber almost red color.
Nice thick head, does not last very long though. Barely any lacing, however, very good carbonation throughout session.
A very earthy, muddy, aroma, with hints of caramel malt.
Rich and creamy tasting, somewhat sweet as well. Slightly dry, with a roasted burnt malt taste. Long lingering aftertaste. Heavy in the mouth, a little to much for a considered ale. I did enjoy this beer, I was hoping to rate it better, but I will try it again.

3.91/5  rDev -1%

I had this in a 22oz bomber.
The appearance of this beer was a hazy amber/brown. It had a two finger head with some nice salty looking lacing left on my glass. The aroma was caramel/honey malt with a slight hop fruityness. The taste was a well balanced sweet toasted malt with a slightly hoppy finish. The mouthfeel was medium bodied smooth and creamy and well rounded. Drinkability- it was very easy on the palate but still had some bite.

Reflection: I've been drinking this beer for years and it never lets me down. For Christmas I wrap different styles of beer for my co-workers to try and this one has made the cut for the last five years!

4.21/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured this beer into a weizen glass and was happy with the appearance. Pours a deep amber with great carbonation going up the glass. The head was thick and slightly tan, leaving heavy lacing on the side of the glass. Great head retention.

The smell started out very hoppy, almost like an IPA, but then as it warmed, became a little sweeter and fruity. My first reaction was apples, but I know that misses it a little.

I love the depth of the taste. It starts with the sweetness from the malts and that little hint of fruit. Then it slowly turns into the bitterness of the hops, but much to my surprise and pleasure, the hops never become overpowering.

Blown away by this beer and its complexity.

Poured from a bomber to a pilsner glass a dark honey orange color with a minimal head that quickly settled. It had a malty sweet aroma and the taste was the same with a hint of honey. With it's medium body, light carbonation and crisp finish I could definately drink a few of these.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

1.5/5  rDev -62%

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Cloudy light brown color with thick off-white head that lasts until the last drop. The smell was light malt with a slightly nutty smell. But the smell was light overall. The very sweet malt flavor and slightly bitter/dry finish was nice. The flavor was long-lasting, but the beer was not active enough to warrant more than a 3.5 for mouthfeel. I would call it an above average beer, but not great.

On tap at a Mellow Mushroom near me.

Bronze-red colored. Smell is slighty hoppy. Taste is clean and crisp, with just enough hoppiness to keep it spicy, but not too much for my palate. Very appetizing and enjoyable, a great session beer on a summer evening. Recommended.

3.55/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Dead Guy Ale is a good, but not exceptional maibock, at least in my book. Every so often, I'll get in the mood to pick one of these up, and I never regret the experience, even if the beer itself never seems to live up to it's lofty reputation. Cool, painted label, though.

Dead Guy pours ok. Smallish head, not overly carbonated. Dark amber coloring. Hints of fruit and alcohol in the nose.

The taste is a bit on the bitter side, almost as if it's out of balance. The malts never quite get a strong foothold in this beer. The hops just seem to dominate the flavor. Slightly acidic, but it does capture some complexity. There are hints of fruits and breads in the taste.

Finishes like it started, bitter but interesting. Not immensely drinkable to my tastes. This is a good beer, but it fails to get the maibock style completely right, IMO. I'll give it a go again sometime, but I'm not sold on it as a mainstay of my regimen.

Bought this bottle at a Whole Foods market in Omaha, Nebraska. I went to the hotel and didn't bring my opener with me. So, I had to break it open on the bathroom door handle. Well, I lost have the bottle to the floor and the rest to my stomach. I will have to note that my "clean" white towels are now brown.

Appearance - cloudy, dark and orange.

Smell - a bit malty with a sence of hops.

Taste - sweet citrus with a bit of malts. again, little hops for an ale.

Mouthfeel - little carbonation to none.

Drinkability - interesting style, unique and nothing like it. great beer / craft brewer.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%