Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros

2.13/5  rDev -46.1%

NOTE - I HAD TO GRADE THIS BEER EXTREMELY LOW BECAUSE IT HAD AN INFECTION OF SOME SORT. TERRIBLE ALCOHOLIC BURN AND TASTE, CORN ODOR (DMS) VERY HIGH. I DUMPED THIS BOTTLE.

General - Had a 22 oz bottle of this in the fridge for too long. I used to be a big fan of this but now, not so much. I'm going to try and review this as it should be with the BJCP style 5A. I'm drinking it out of my New Belgium tulip.

Appearance - Color is a deep copper to light brown, somewhere around an SRM of 17. The head is great at first, light and fluffy with a slightly off-white color. Head diminishes quickly.

Aroma - There is a moderate malty scent on this, appropriate for the style. There is a hint of hops with it which is typically not acceptable. Typically a maibock will have very minimal noble hop aroma. There is something wrong with this bottle, I can't tell what it is. I smell something like creamed corn mixed with rubbing alcohol.

Taste - Not going to happen, did you read the aroma section I wrote? Ok so I tasted it anyway. Super bitter, definitely bad. This is infected with something. This sucks. I'm done with this.

Mouthfeel - There is a big astringency with this, it is gross.

Overall - Yikes, I normally don't see DMS in commercially available beers but that's Rogue for you. I used to like this brand and sometime I will give it another review but this one is terrible. I'm not one to dump beer, but I have good stuff in the fridge that I'd rather drink. This beer was infected.

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I dont usualy drink ales unless its and ipa or something of the sort but this was my brothers so i was willing to try. And glad i did. Nice malty taste with a lingering finish that was a plesant flavor in my mouth. Not too bad.. .now i just need to try the double dead guy ale.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%