Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,312 | Hads: 6,913
3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

a nice looking copper colored beer with good tan head. the smell is mostly caramel malty with a little hoppiness thrown in. the taste is very well balanced beer, nice blend of herbal hops with sweet caramel malts. real nice balance and an appropriately medium mouthfeel. rogue always satisfies. (294 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

I could have sworn this was a pale ale. But the category shows that it is not. Pours a nice coppery amber color. Nice head with good retention. Beautiful floral hops and malt balance. The finish is just as good. Alcohol is there too but not up front. Mouthfeel starts out velvety and finishes a little dry. Makes you want more. (327 characters)

Poured a slightly cloudy amber with a minimal off white head that disappated quickly. Fruity, malt aroma. Hints of prunes and grapes, along with caramel. I'm not sure what to make of this brew. Mouthful is decent, chewy. Taste is of multiple fruits and malt, with minimal hop presence. There is a nice warmth at the finish. Hops do become more prevalent here as well.

I'm finding that this beer is winning me over as I drink it. At first seems a bit too fruity for my tastes, but as I drink it the complexity starts to present itself, along with the hops. It's like I'm not sure if I like it, but I know I want more! (619 characters)

It poured a nice golden coppery colour, slightly hazy, with a firm, lasting head that left beautiful lace.

The aroma was malty sweet, citrusy, grassy, with lots of hops.

The flavour is a stiff and dry malt, with bracing, peppery bitter hops rounding it out. I don't find a lot of fancy flavours here, just good honest malt'n'hops.

In the mouth it feels nice and warm, with a medium body.

Yes, it's extremely drinkable. This six-pack won't last long. It seems a bit hoppy for a maibock, but I'm not really complaining. It's like an ESB with a really firm malt backbone. I've had a few of these now, and I just LOVE this beer. No matter what you call it, it's darn tasty. (683 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

Had this on tap at the Sunset Cantina. Color was a clear, light copper hue, and the head was white, fine and thin, but with minimal lacing. Nose displayed some citrusy hop notes, and even seemed a bit grassy to me. Body was better than medium, with a slight prickliness on the tongue. Flavor was a great balance between malt and hops. Malt was slightly toasty, with some sweetness (but not enough for me!) and the hops were pleasing with a citrus lean to them. Good stuff!! (473 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Brilliant amber color with a large two inch fluff atop. This beer is so well balanced and a treat to throw back. It's creamy sweet and then spicy sharp hops....caramel malty and then sharp hops. An awesome session beer that is stronger than one would imagine. This is most definitely worth a try and is one of my fall-back brews (328 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a beauty of a dark amber with a thin, retaining head. Some fruity and hops are noted on the aroma, barely detectable. A spicy hoppy taste is noted on top, with some underlying malts and some citrus detected. Medium bodied, and hopped up as expected from Rogue, all in all an above average beer that can have some bite. (324 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

Great rusty bronze color with creamy white head. Head didn't stay long, and lace was minimal. The aroma smelled like a kettle of carmel when you melt it to make carmel apples, and a sweet malt and alcohol smell came through nicely. The taste was rich and smooth, pronounced carmel flavor, with a bitter-sweet middle, and a pleasant sweet and tart finish that lingered a bit. An excellent Maibock style beer. (407 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Color is a glowing orange/amber, looks awesome. Head is solid and thick, sticky looking and smallish. Lacing was great. On the nose was fruit, lots of ripe fruit. A nice combo of melons, citrus and yeast.

First taste and I new I was in for a treat. Full and rich, fruity flavor abound (peach?) caramel malts, a touch of roasted malt and toasted bread. A stiff malt backbone is backed up with a sold punch of hop flavor, aroma and bitterness. I felt the usage of hops in Dead Guy was brilliant. Mouthfeel was another winning characteristic. Super creamy but somehow light and quick at the same time. Finished smooth, a bit toffee sweet with that tingling bitterness that I love (Fuller's ESB has it). A touch of alcohol and tobacco at the very end. To me, drinking this I'm thinking ESB all the way, but who cares how it's classified, it rocks.

My first Rogue. "All Killer, no Filler" (889 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a transparent dark amber color with a strange orange-brown hue to it. Also had a fair-looking frothy and almost khaki-colored head, some bits of tiny streams of carbonation, a good lace that for the most part stuck around, and some bits of stain.

Smelled of soft apple and faint floral hops, and a little pine and salt as well. It tasted of a good balance of malt and hops; it nicely played back and forth between a rosy malt flavor and a grapefruity bitterness. Had some good biscuit flavors, too. In combination, a simple body of flavors but pleasing from its good balance.

Lightly drying but with an obviously bitter finish, it didn't diminish the very wet feeling the watery mouthfeel left for most of my tongue. A good session beer, light (relative to most Rogue offerings) yet interesting. I thought better in bottle, as for me the draught had lost its malt flavors and thus its balance. (907 characters)

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Dark amber, a little hazy, with an orangey head that is thick and lingering. Aroma of sweet malts and ripe fruit, some toffee and candy. Flavor is coarse brown sugar, ripe pear and hint of butterscotch. Also a bit of a rough-edged flavor, a little grainy. Mouthfeel is round and full, with even carbonation. You can just feel tinges of the alcohol. (348 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Tawny bronze hue. Covered by a cream white, fluffy, well retained head. Rutted lace remains. Soft, spicy hop nose with an herbal tinge along with lightly toasted malt and mellow light caramel. Pleasant, understated aroma. Assertive hop bite initially in flavor is partially contrasted by mildly buttery malt and mellow toffee. Malt character is predominantly of cleanly grainy, toasty Munich and stately, dextrinous light lovibond caramel malt. Not complex, but sufficient in malt backbone for adequate balance. Subdued herbal, mint tinged hop flavor. Moderate in body, with an agreeably smooth mouthfeel well calculated in dextrins. Finishes with lingering hop bitterness and fleeting toasty malt, and thus quite dry. Another well hopped, unique Rogue creation. Simple, tasty and certainly quaffable. (801 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +13.4%

Rogue Dead Guy Ale: In a twelve ounce brown bottle. This is one very tasty beer. Deep amber color, nice off-white head with sufficient staying power to coat the sides of the glass. The taste is exceptional, neatly balanced malts off set the assertive hops. Clearly, this is a terrific beer for any hop head, but one that I think any beer drinker would enjoy, as this beer showcases the floral/citrus aspects of the hops with out leaving too much of a bitter bite. Very nice! (474 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a reddish brown. Not much head to the beer. Both the aroma and taste are very complex. There are a great deal of malts and hops in this beer, but neither are overwhelming, but there is a good hop kick in the end. Extremely well balanced. This one would get the Mayan's to come back from the dead! (Big misconception that this was named for Jerry Garcia. It was named for a Mayan celebration. It does sell beers, since they don't readily discount it.) (456 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +18.5%

I first tried this beer three years ago on a whim at Market Cross Pub in Carlisle, PA. I have to admit that I am a total slave to packaging...if it looks cool, i'll buy it. The skeleton dude called to me and I had to have it. I have to say that what I found inside my glass was FAR better than I expected. I thought i'd get an average beer with a great label, and instead I got a great beer with a great label.
Creamy and smooth with just the right amount of sweetness to it. When it is first poured into the glass, it has a beautiful red/caramel hue to it that looks almost too good to drink. It has a great aroma. This is a beer that has all the flavor of a heavier beer, but it won't weigh you down like a steak dinner, making it an all-night endeavor.
The only knock on this beer is that, if kept too cold it can get a little bitterness to it. Most self-respecting establishments will keep certain coolers at different temperatures to ensure the best taste, but every once in a while you'll get one that is a tad too cold and it seems like you're drinking the Dead Guy's ugly sister. Those situations are few and far between, but I gotta give the whole story.
If you see this beer, do yourself a favor and get a pint. I suggest it to all newbies and I get great response. Enjoy! (1,285 characters)

Appearance: Beautiful opaque red body with white smallish head. 4
smell: Sweet malty creamy, soft whole grain bread like aroma. 4.5
taste: Medium hops that gently grow. Initially lightly sweet and some light caramel. Sweet without being cloying in anyway. Dry due to the hopiness, but balanced so well. Reading the other reviews, I have to wonder why I got it backwards. Most taste bitter then sweet, but I definitely taste malty sweetness with the bitterness slowly coming out.
mouthfeel: micro bubbles on a round medium body.
drinkability: The sweetness and bitterness is balanced is beautifully. Amazing.

This is the sweetest juice of god. It has a beautiful deep golden amber color. Shimmering with deliciousness. Aroma is of bold malts wrapped in a loving bouquet of hops. I do not catch any of the fruit other see, but this has the rich warm qualities of fresh baked bread. A firm hop back bone, that make me glad I was born. The creamy smooth mouthfeel is liquid silk. (982 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

Quite a treat here. Copper red color with a pale orange hue. Initially fluffy then disappates into an offwhite head that resembles a flat cloud in shape. Sweet and mellow candly-like scent. Flavor initially is slightly bitter but soon transforms on the tongue to a mellow sweetness. Just a plethora of different sweetnesses confused and excite the tongue and palate. Aftertaste almost has an element of carmel too it. Any taste of alcohol is non-existant in this brew. Carbonation is light which allows for all the flavor to come out. Extremely drinkable. A nice appetizer beer because once its gone you want another and another and another... (643 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a nice amber color with a white head, bubbles efervesced throughout the duration of the beer in my glass. Lace was left down the sides of the glass. The smell is hoppy and you get a good whiff of alcohol - almost vodka-like with my bottle. Interesting. The taste is very good and satisfies the hop-head in me - little malt presence on the palate, followed by bitter hops and a crisp finish. It feels to me that the tail end is almost missing something. Maybe I'm delusional. This is a very rich ale for my tastes, so I can see drinking one or two of these tasty brews, but certainly not more than that. (609 characters)

3.95/5  rDev 0%

I had this for the first time recently and enjoyed it very much. It poured a nice head that laced the glass as I drank it. The thing about it that impressed me the most was that despite its intense hops, the malt flavor came right through. This is American brewing at it's best (277 characters)

3.95/5  rDev 0%

A bock, but they call it an ale? I don't understand. A very good bock. One of my favorite bocks. Too sweet for me to drink very much of, but very good none the less. Balance is good. Nice malt profile. I welcome this beer into my fridge. Great label. (250 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +5.6%

Hmmm...a mai-bock brewed with Rogue's mysterious "pac-man" yeast....and throwing you a curve by calling it an ale.... all resulting in a delicious beer no-matter its classification!

The beer pours a dark amber with a very limited white head...the weakest part of this beer is its appearance.

The aroma is a beautiful deep malty aroma...not sweet...toasted instead...with a faint hops spice...very nice.

The taste shines...a rich and deep malty blend of Munich and caramel malts really breaks to the fore, but there is a nice hop balance to the beer. A joy to drink.

The beer has a nice body to it and the alcohol content is hidden, making it dangerous if you think it is a session beer! I just wish it was more readily available in my neck of the woods. (765 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

On-tap at Capital Ale House.

Appearance: Hazy dark copper in color. Minimal head but it left very nice, thick, and distinct rings on the glass.

Smell: Very hoppy indeed. Fruity and flowery. Very nice.

Taste: Less than what I expected. Don't get me wrong, this is a good beer, but something just didn't sit well with me. There was a more balanced flavor of hops and malts than expected. I had anticipated a hop right hook to the taste buds. No such luck.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy. Surprising, given the high IBU of this beer.

Drinkability: I really wasn't constantly ready for another drink with this one. Not a beer that I would actively seek out again. (666 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +20.8%

This stuff is great, pours an orangeish hue with a white head. It tastes like a nutty amber, but it works! no massive hops, yet a subtle transformation of a classic which yields an awesome offspring. Any fan of ales would enjoy this tastey interpretation. (255 characters)

Appearance: Slightly hazy rich copper with off white head...
Aroma: Softly sweet malt
Taste: Strong malt slightly sweet at first...leading too nice offsetting slightly bitter hops...nice mix
Mouthfeel great...
Overall I will get some more...not my favorite, but still good (276 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Nice looking deep golden brew with a level off-white head that died in a hurry.. Smell is a mix of english and american bitter hops, but I once this tasted a few more flavors kicked in, most notably a very sweet maltiness. Nothing overpowering, just a decent balance of hops & sweet bready malts. Alcohol is totally hidden. Not the best maibock I've head, but pretty good. (372 characters)

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales