Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros

4.03/5  rDev +2%

Bottle into tulip. Bottled end of Dec 2011.

The first craft beer I've ever had. It's been a long journey since this, I think it's time to review it.

A- Crystal clear dark copper pour with a three finger soapy off white head. Super sticky chunky lacing all over the glass.

S- Slight fruitiness (apples) with a subtle hop and a strong malt backing. There is a touch of sweetness added to the mix.

T- There is a cereal taste right up front with a subtle stone fruit and citrus. Lingering bitter aftertaste.

M- Light to medium bodied. Decent carbonation and slightly slick feeling.

Good solid beer. I can really see why this got me hooked in the first place. I actually remember my first sips this beer being "too intense" as I drank it from the bottle. It's amazing how things change :)

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was a golden orange with a fluffy white head which stuck around. There were lots of bubbles rising to the top of the glass.

The smell was sweet malts, sour with some fruitiness and prunes.

Taste is pretty sweet, sugars, malts and a bitter after taste.

It had a medium mouth feel quite well carbonated and crisp.

Overall I couldn't drink many of these but once in while make a nice change from IPA's.

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a orangy copper with a slight head. Smells a little bready and citric. Generally sweet paired with just a touch of bitterness. Flavor is some caramel malt, some lemon, maybe a little spice of some kind and it can also be a little watered down at times. Moutfeel is thinner. I can be hit or miss with this one, sometimes it hits me just right and I dig it, other times I find it lacking, like its holding back on me and not giving me all the flavor it should.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - pours a very nice copper colour, I managed to get a GREAT head about an inch and a quarter high that held for a good amount of time. Only critique would be that it's quite hazy, somewhere between translucent and opaque.

S - really subtle, notes of caramel, honey, and some kind of fruity sweetness I couldn't quite put my finger on.

T - just like the nose, only bigger. Caramel and malt were pretty big. Started off with a nice touch of sweetness, but the finish had a nice bitter taste. A hint of spice was also detectable and was a nice effect

M - Very smooth and velvety. Seemed to be richer and thicker than other ales I've sampled. One of the best mouthfeels I've had on an ale.

O - Fantastic beer overall, I'm definitely going to go back to the MLCC and pick up some more.

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%