Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros

bigox420, Dec 01, 2011

PaBeerLover, Dec 01, 2011

cbnz, Dec 01, 2011

modernartblues, Dec 01, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

This so happens to be the first craft beer I ever had. Not the exact one, of course. I mean, I didn't drink half of it and save the rest to try six years later, although I suppose that would have been an interesting, if highly oxidized, experiment. No, what I mean is that my first ever craft beer was a Dead Guy, bought as part of a mixed six the day after I turned 21. I had not revisited it until my 27th birthday, when a shiny new six pack was gifted me by my sister. To be honest I didn't care for it the first time I tried it (I thought it was too bitter, ha ha) and it isn't something I would have picked up for myself, but since it was given to me and it is somewhat of a craft beer living legend, I figured, why not? I can only hope the review is half as boring and rambling as this introduction.

A- Fairly standard dark amber with a thin head that quickly dissipates into a thinner lace.

S- Has that nice, characteristic bock sweetness that's reminiscent of homemade bread and caramel. Perhaps leans a little too far on the sweet side without any hint of hops to balance it out. About what you'd expect from your typical maibock.

T- Quite dry, actually, which is kind of a nice surprise given that the smell indicated it might be a touch cloying. Crackerlike malt is the dominant flavor with a good dose of grassy hops (I can actually see why I might have found this too bitter when I first tried it) and just a touch of lightly fruity, alcohol sweetness. Clean finish with a moderate bitterness. Pac-Man (the game) > Pacman yeast > Pacman Jones. Just throwing that out there.

M- Medium body, slightly slick, fairly low (but adequate) carbonation.

Actually a little better than I expected. I was kind of expecting a malty, unbalanced mess, but it was nicely balanced and quite drinkable. A pleasant surprise. I don't know that I'd go out of my way to buy it (especially given Rogue's outrageous prices) but it's not bad at all. Recommended for a decent everyday beer if the price is right.

vtfan77, Nov 30, 2011

kelvarnsen, Nov 30, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Copper color with a nice head.

Aroma: Decent balance of hops and toasty malts.

Taste: Flavorful but not overpowering hops up front with toasty, buiscut and bready/grainy malts in the finish. Nice aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Light/ medium body with excessive carbonation that somewhat hinders the flavor.

Overall: This beer is the epitome of balance and has one of the best flavor profiles i can think of. It's delicious. the only issue I have with it is the excessive carbonation, but that can be made up for with a hard pour. Delicious.

jmarklan, Nov 30, 2011

QuickSilver08, Nov 28, 2011

daant76, Nov 27, 2011

Tpsauer, Nov 27, 2011

650ml bomber poured into tulip 27/11/11

A hazy amber with just a few bubbles but a nice two finger cream colored head that hangs for a few minuets leaving a ring of lace

S quite sweet with some caramel and honey, a little citric hops but mostly sweet malts and a little rum

T pretty close to the nose with a little bread and dry cereal, slightly fruity but plenty of toffee

M heavy for the color with more bubbles then one could see in the glass, leaves toffee flavors for a little while

O a little sweet but well within my enjoyment level, pretty good stuff at the end of the day no major flaws and solid in all areas

I'm a little surprised I've never reviewed this one before, I remember having a growler of this stuff last year but I guess never bothered entering it in here. I could drink this again for sure I just wish Rogue didn't cost 8$+ a bomber around here

wordemupg, Nov 27, 2011