Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros

GolamKovach, Dec 25, 2011

truthcontortion, Dec 23, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

Telestic, Dec 23, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I opened this up and poured it into a good beer glass. It gives a two finger head that is whitish and yellowish together. the head looks almost creamy. The head retains and laces which is something I look for in the head. The body is orangish red that has nice color; you can see through and can see bubbles rise to the top.

It smells like hops and citrusy. It has floral tones to it that are pleasing to the nose.

It tastes like hops and citrus with floral tones. Someone on here said they tasted and smelled apple, but for me that does not come through. I smell citrus hops and floral.

The mouthfeel is good with as much carbonation as is necessary. It is not too carbonated but just enough that it goes with the taste of the beer.

Overall its a very enjoyable beer. It has some tones and tastes and smells to it that I don't normally encounter in beers. It is a new thing that I enjoy. I will probably buy this again.

*Note: At the end of the bottle, it is no longer see through and you cannot see through it. Its just an orange color and is very cloudy at the end. It tastes a bit more hoppy as well. I just finished it and thought I'd note this, as at the beginning it was a different appearance.

phenomenologian, Dec 23, 2011

cbgbslev, Dec 23, 2011

NvMyBeer, Dec 23, 2011

bakeith, Dec 22, 2011

OBIrish24, Dec 22, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

Orange amber...

Smells like watermelon candy and molasses...with a twist of orange...in fact it tastes sorta like that too...

The texture of the beer is nice when cold but it gets too hot as it warms. There is too much sugars here for me. Or something like that.

I tried to enjoy this beer but I really cain't. I paid $13 for a sixxer. That is too much for me. Even if it is free range coastal water.

This beer trys to hard to be something. And it doesn't even know what it's trying to do. This beer is like a college dropout trying to make everybody thank they is smart.

Smells wonderful and is looks gorgeous...just all mixed up inside...maybe that's why the guy died...I dunno...

I had this in 2002 and said I would never buy it again but since I have had some really really good Rogue beers lately I thought I would see if somehow my tastes had matured. Nope the flavor is still dead.

I'll pass next time.

CamuMahubah, Dec 22, 2011

melodicnoise, Dec 22, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours amber, slightly golden, slightly hazy, small white head.
Smells kind of sweet, notes of honey & caramel, some hops. Kind of reminds me of sweet tea.
Caramel flavor is much fuller in the taste, honey follows, then some bitterness & hopes finish it off.
Feels full but not heavy. nice carbonation, but almost too much. Goes down smooth.
Very very drinkable. Not super complex, but I always seem to forget how good it is..

vrbulldog22, Dec 22, 2011