Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
JordonHoltzman

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Go to tulane, and i went to a close liquor store that i know is cheap and rarely even IDs, but not for alcohol, I wanted to get some free boxes so I can pack and move out of my dorm. I was surprised to see they had Rogue products there, and they had no extra boxes at the time, so I went home with some Dead Guy Ale instead.

Appearance- nice tall tan head, let the head settle a bit, which it did rather quickly, but not all the way. amber color

smell- sweet smell, i get hints of apple and "autumn"... thats what i thought of when i smelled it.

taste- has a sweet, tangy taste with some bitterness at the tip of your tongue. taste of alcohol is mild but there.

mouthfeel- some bitterness but not over powering, you can tell from the head that it would be high carbonated. not super high carbonation, but i would put it slightly about medium carbonation.

drinkability/overall- pretty smooth, definitely a good beer.

05-12-2009 21:29:37 | More by JordonHoltzman
mnjeff

3.83/5  rDev -3%

From the growler to an oval-tapered pint glass.
A light burnt orange, nearly a grapefruit color. Translucent, and full of carbonation. Next to no lacing, and dissipates quickly.
Strong sweet honey aroma with notes of many fruits.
Taste is very full, hits you with many fruits, and never a touch boozy. All of the acid is balanced very well.
Mouthfeel is medium full and all of the fruits exchange time passing across the palate.
Drinkability is.... Everywhere. I could drink this beer all day. An excellent warm weather beer. Not a session beer... a little too much ABV here for that, but an great brew nonetheless. A must try.

Serving type: growler

05-11-2009 03:32:32 | More by mnjeff
bonsreeb85

Colorado

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had this one while watching the nuggets advance through the playoffs w/ ease.

Came out a cloudy amber/orange color from the 22oz bomber, almost looks like honey, a very thin head that didn't stick around to much.

I smell sweet malts, apple, honey and earthy hops, though the sweet dominates the nose.

The assertive hop bitterness is mellowed by and balanced by a blanket of sweet maltiness that lingers. The malts present a sweet/bready overall clean flavor, and steal the show from the grainy/earthy hops that play a balancing supporting role.

This beer packs a bit of a punch from the carb. a bit fizzy,and is slightly fuller than i expected.(this is good). Overall though a perfect quencher, crisp, clean and tasty, excellent no-b.s. beer.

*side note: what's w/ the name, i though a maibock was a lager not an ale??wtf>!

05-07-2009 18:48:46 | More by bonsreeb85
bl400315

Connecticut

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%

suprised when I saw rogue at a mediocre distributer in philadelphia. poured into bottle, honey/amber color, thin off-white head. smells caramel -strong but not overwhelming- malty taste, smooth and refreshing. on my second now, don't think i'll go for three but definately will drink again. one of my favorites (along w/the double dead guy) from rogue

05-06-2009 21:52:03 | More by bl400315
Beefeater57

Colorado

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Solid honey color, cloudy, thin head with good lacing.

S: Getting a lot of caramel, traces of burnt sugars. Overall sweet smell.

T: Sweet and very tasty malt profile. Getting that caramel that I got in the smell right up front. Also get syrup flavors. Slight ash, and has a floral hop bitterness. Malt flavor is very delicious.

M: Good body, carbonated. Pretty smooth drinking...

D: Very tasty beer, enjoyed it very much. The flavors from the malt are extraordinary, and the hops add a great balance of bitterness. Solid beer, would drink again.

05-06-2009 17:02:39 | More by Beefeater57
Kromes

Georgia

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured an amber honey color with a thick white head that died down pretty quick. Sweet toasted malt and flowery hop aromas. A big malt flavor, sweet and toasted, followed by some grassy hop flavor and a little bitterness in the finish. I also could detect a little alcohol every other sip. Good mouthfeel and drinkability.

05-06-2009 00:12:30 | More by Kromes
yemenmocha

Arizona

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours light amber with some gold colour, white head, and nose is very faint & disappointing. Palate offers the traditional maibock malt forwardness, but it is somewhat fruity sweet and lacks the alcohol warmth that is a regular component of the maibock experience. Very drinkable.

05-05-2009 03:16:46 | More by yemenmocha
buschbeer

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

This was a surprise beer. I bought a six pack of what I thought was Mocha Porter and poured. It obviously wasn't a porter, bonus beer. Anyhow I poured into a Cleveland Browns bud light nonic to a half inch a white head. It is copper in color and smells spicy and bready. The taste was spicy at first but became sweet. The hops were appearant on the back end. I have not had this beer in a while but it was not bad considering I was expecting a porter. I guess I should have looked at the bottle instead of bullshitting. Oh well, a pleasant bonus.

05-02-2009 03:39:13 | More by buschbeer
Kylito87

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass
I finally had a chance to buy a sixer of this. I went to the local liqor store and I thought it was on sale for 5.99 and I got to the counter and it was like 12 bucks. I was like oh shit here we go. I was expecting perfection so I was like fuck it I will get it.

Appearance: That coppery color I love so much ... so far so good

Smell: It has a few subtle notes but nothing that sticks out as notable. Very Hoppy to my nose

Taste: It tastes pretty good. It is very grainy but still has a very tasty appeal.It is quite distinctive.

Mouthfeel:It makes your mouth feel syrupy and your tongue stick to the roof of your mouth so I could have done without that

Drinkability: It is quite drinkable. I was surprised my pallete adjusted after the second one. It isn't the smoothest of beers but then again I don't think it is supposed to be.

Overall: I would say it is a unique brew. I like it but for 12 bucks I will get something else. One thing is it is quite potent so take it easy if you dare to be a dead guy.

04-29-2009 07:36:11 | More by Kylito87
bamadog

Kentucky

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass... Not as good as I remember it being when I lived in Oregon, but then again, I've had so many other beers that are that much better now that perhaps it just doesn't keep up.

Appearance: Light coppery in color with some orange blended in as well; A nice white one finger head with no retention as it disappears quite quickly into a thin skim and eventually into nothing; body is clear and shows mild carbonation; no lacing but an oily residue on the swirl.

Smell: A litle bitter, and a little caramel, but you know, it smells a little like cabbage and reminds me of an amber.

Taste: Yeah, the amber taste is there and it is a little like cabbage; a slightly unpleasant aftertaste; alcohol starts to make an appearance in the taste.

Mouthfeel: A little sticky, but that's about it. Not much going on here.

Drinkability: Meh. It's not the best tasting beer that I've ever had but it's not awful in terms of driniability. I'm sure I could drink several of these and the price is moderate.

04-26-2009 14:02:39 | More by bamadog
vdan02

1.6/5  rDev -59.5%

After drinking this beer, Miller Lite tastes like a Guinness. This is by far one of the worst tasting beers that I have had. It is almost like someone took a barrel full of hops and mixed it with a glass of sugar water. This beer is one of the most distastful things that you could do with water, sugar, and hops. Please stop supporting their efforts in wasting our fresh water supply.

04-26-2009 01:28:36 | More by vdan02
beerdavis

South Dakota

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

A- Pours a pale reddish-orange color. The minimal amount of head died quickly to a thin whisp. Lots of bubbly carbonation.

S- Smells of bitter citrus with hints of raisins.

T- Tastes like it smells. Bitter citrus, hints of raisins, and an initial caramel flavor that dies off quickly to bitterness.

M- Carbonation bounces off my teeth and tongue. Feels a lot lighter in my mouth than I anticipated.

D- Definitely a sipper for me. I can drink one or two in a sitting, but that is the max. I will definitely drink again.

04-25-2009 02:32:54 | More by beerdavis
OnThenIn

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance: Nice inch of head with a slightly cloudy orange color. Not much to speak of lacing wise.

Smell: Some citrus and overall hop smell with some sweet malt armoa.

Taste: A lot of malt in this. Some caramel sweetness with a tiny hint of hops. A little bit of citrus in there, but the sweetness really makes it hard to find. A little bit of ester

Mouthfeel: It feels a little watery, but the malt does give it some body. So it's closer to medium bodied beer. The carbonation is pretty good, but I think this would be a smoother and overall better beer with just a little less carbonation.

Drinakbility: I have worked my way through a six pack over the course of a couple weeks and overall I have not really come to love this beer. It seems way too expensive for the quality of beer. For some reason it is also a sipper, which is a surprise at its 6.5% alcohol.

04-23-2009 20:41:36 | More by OnThenIn
anchordrinker

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

A-Hazy orange-light amber, with not too much head.

S- Smell is of caramel, banana, and raisins, with some hops in the background.

T- Initial carmel sweetness gives way to a mild bitterness.

M- Medium body, nice moderate amount of carbonation. A little bit sticky after sips.

D- Very drinkable due to the 6.5% abv, ample carbonation, and crisp ever-so-slightly bitter finish

04-23-2009 19:16:47 | More by anchordrinker
jdflyer06

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Had this with the guys at a tasting. Served from a 12 oz bottle.

A: Slight haze from the outset which clears up somewhat after letting it rest. Nice color somewhere between golden and amber. Little head that dissipates quickly.

S: I'm really picking up that banana/ester quality in this. The hops are very mild in the nose and maybe a little ripe citrus on the back end.

M: I really like the soft, almost fluffy carbonation in this. I was expecting something a bit more sticky, but this finishes pretty clean on the palate.

T: I'm getting some slight hop bitterness which is balanced pretty nicely by the accompanying bit of citrus and pine. The bitterness and some hidden malt characteristics linger at the end.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. I'm not sure I'd want to session it, but maybe I was expecting it to deliver something that it didn't. I wouldn't turn it down, but I wouldn't reach for it first either.

04-22-2009 23:26:02 | More by jdflyer06
johnnybgood1999

3.1/5  rDev -21.5%

This is my first beer from Rogue and I've heard alot of good things.

A: Nice golden honey appearance

S: I smell a little banana

T: Carbonated honeysuckle flavor.

M: A fair bit of carbonation and a medium-bodied mouthfeel.

D: Something about this drink kept the drinkability low. I don't know what it was and I wish I did, but I don't. Also, it is way too expensive.

Overall this would probably appeal to some people, but wasn't my cup of tea.

04-22-2009 05:50:11 | More by johnnybgood1999
seand

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a fairly opaque light amber, with a bit of orange. A little less than a finger of head. Decent lacing.

S: The smell is basically what'd you'd expect for a well balanced beer. Nothing really stands out, nothing's really lacking.

T: The taste is much like the smell. It's very nice, fairly balanced, but with a nice touch of sweetness.

M: Smooth carbonation, medium to full bodied feel.

D: Could session this one easily. Very easy to drink.

This is a great beer that doesn't try too hard. No huge dominant flavors, but everything is done well.

04-21-2009 05:22:49 | More by seand
steelerguy

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Pours dark gold to light amber, small head that fades quick to a lacing on top, with medium carbonation.

S - Sweet caramel malt, not much hop, kind of boring.

T - Solid bitterness without much hop flavor. Very nice light malt flavors with some sweetness from caramel malt. Slight citrus bitterness on the finish with some fresh baked bread flavors.

M - Thick and malty, creamy feel.

D - Easy drink, well balance, session beer.

This is a good beer, not daring, nothing really stands out other than it is made well. Good beer, but nothing really stands out. What makes it good an appealing to many also keeps it just a good beer, nothing wrong with a good beer though.

04-20-2009 23:59:24 | More by steelerguy
projectflam86

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

A- Light amber orange pour with a thin white foam that leaves some lacing.

S- Sweet citrus and malt with a bit of honey and caramel. Not much hop in the nose.

T- Bitter citrus and alcohol bite with large sweet malt foundation that serves to balance this beer pretty well. The ester flavors are heavy. There is a yeasty bread-like taste as well with some spice and a bit of hops.

M- There is an admirable balance of bitter and sweet. Has a medium/light body with a moderate amount of carbonation.

D- An ok brew that wasn't what I was expecting, but pretty good none the less.

04-18-2009 15:04:39 | More by projectflam86
johnmichael712

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a Unibroue flute. There is no freshness date on the bottle. This beer pours a beautiful, opaque, deep gold color that is a very, very pretty color for a beer. While the BJCP guidelines for a Maibock claim that "lagering should provide good clarity", Rogue's version is much cloudier. The head is a light khaki or ivory color that has a nice, fluffy appearance and eventually fades to a thick ring around the top of the beer, and it does its best to leave concentric circles around the sides of the glass.

Smell: The nose of this beer is very hefty, and the strongest aromas are a sweet, toasted maltiness that is matched well by a tropical fruitiness that is somewhat akin to mango. There are also hints of caramel, well toasted bread, and citrus zest.

Taste: When I first saw this bottle I wondered why the skeleton on the front is so jolly considering his less-than-lively state, but now I realize that it's because he has a tall mug of this beer. While I can admit that this is my first Maibock and I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to taste like, I can still cast "supposed to" into the wind and say that this is one fine beer. Dead Guy is a very well balanced beer, with strong flavors of sweet malt and spicy hops battling it out on my tongue. As in the nose of this beer these two flavors are by far the most prominent, but there are also notes of caramel, pine hops, and toasted bread. There is a dry, spicy, and lingering hoppy finish, but surprisingly I'm finding that the more I drink this the more the malt comes to the forefront in the end.

Mouthfeel: This beer has a thick, rich, medium-full body that is well supplemented by moderate carbonation. There isn't much of a warming effect from the alcohol, but hey, it's only 6.5% ABV.

Drinkability: It had been so long since I had tasted this beer, and I had forgotten how light and easy-drinking this "Maibock-style-Ale" is. The BJCP guidelines for Maibock tell me this style is "specifically associated with springtime and the month of May", and after drinking this light, refreshing beer I can see why. Easily sessionable, this beer is a delight to drink.

Notes: I've had Rogue Dead Guy numerous times before this review, but as the month of April begins to close I thought what better a time to review a Maibock than a beautiful spring day? This is one wonderfully light, crisp, and refreshing beer, and it suits the warmer months well. Rogue Dead Guy is a finely crafted brew, and while it won't knock your socks off with intense flavor (which it isn't supposed to do - sometimes it's nice to have something light) it will definitely make you appreciate the craftsmanship of the Rogue brewers and the gentle pleasantness of this beer.

04-15-2009 17:33:28 | More by johnmichael712
Infamous7100

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

A: An amber/mahogany straight from the tap. About a one finger head with minimal lacing.
S: Citrus is the first thing that comes to mind, but I'm getting malt as well. Some pine is there too.
T: It's sweet up front, the malts are doing their job. Blends nicely into some mild bitterness because of the hops. The grapefruit taste is apparent on the back of the tongue, right before the finish.
M: Nothing special. It hangs around a little, minimal bite. Crisp.
D: I enjoy this more than IPA's or Pale Ales. It gives me the best of both worlds.

This is a nice beer to have if you are not a Hop Head, but want to know what all the fuss is about. It gives you a malty sweetness to balance a bitterness you may not be used to.

04-15-2009 01:39:53 | More by Infamous7100
OzarkElmo

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a hazy, murky deep orange/red honey color. Aroma of sweet malts/caramel. Moderate head mostly diminishing with nice lacing throughout. Definite yeast presence. Roasted straw and light molasses. Slightly sweet taste and light bitter finish, lasting a good measure. Medium-bodied and well balanced beer. Definite malty, caramel flavor. Not very hoppy to me, even in finish. Good malted beer - Cheers!

04-15-2009 00:42:27 | More by OzarkElmo
Duhast500

Rhode Island

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a hazy orange/amber with a foamy white head.

The smell is hoppy, a peppery, floral flavor..

The taste is again quite hoppy with some nice malty background. Some great floral feel.

Mouthfeel is a little strong, but is quite evenly manageable. Has a nice drinkable feel as well.

04-11-2009 18:51:48 | More by Duhast500
teejay76

Utah

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance - Beautiful golden amber hue with decent head.

Smell - Nothing overpowering or unique. Definite hops aroma with a hint of sweetness.

Taste - Tasted great. Full bodied goodness.

Mouthfeel - Good balance between hops bitterness and alcohol.

Drinkability - Went down easy.

Overall - I'll be adding more to the collection...

04-11-2009 00:41:23 | More by teejay76
youngblood

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

This was the beer that started it all for me. The one that turned me into a BA. Haven't had it in a while and then got it last night.
A - Pours a coppery amber, a brooding amber though. One finger white head. This is a decent looking beer. Very pleasant to look at.
S - I think that it was served a bit too cold for my liking and I didn't get a great bit from the nose. I remember there being more when I drank this a lot. I get a bit of caramel sweetness, some dark fruit, bit of blueberry and blackberry.
T - Has a very solid malt backbone, biscuity and sweet. There is a nice hop presence balancing out the malt. Getting a nice fruit flavor here, bit of strawberry/blackberry mostly? Nice citric after taste. Very Nice.
M - Has a smooth texture, almost like marbles. Leaves mouth refreshed, no stickiness.
D - Very drinkable. You can kick these around all day.

04-10-2009 12:52:36 | More by youngblood