Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +12.7%

I first tried this beer in 2006 at a 4th of July party. At that point, my beer tastes were Bud Light, Corona and Guinness. I thought it was "okay".

Fast forward to last week at my favorite pizza-place. Rogue Dead Guy on tap. Coal oven pizza - great combination.

A - Pours a gorgeous reddish-amber with medium-depth creamy head. Inviting appearance for sure.

S - Fruity was the first thing to come to mind. Plenty of hops. This beer's nose makes you think of nature and warm weather.

T - My best friend put it best: "This tastes like what I thought beer would be like when I first found out what beer was." Delicious malts with hops that don't overpower the beer.

M - If I could replace water in my diet with Dead Guy Ale, I'd do it. Mouthfeel is just right. One of the smothest beers I've had.

D - Could drink this all night. Great session beer, or any-time beer, honestly. This is my new "go-to" beer for expanding friends beer horizons.

audioserf, Oct 21, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +12.7%

A- It's a vary cloudy with gold color on the top and bottom of the beer with a copper brown in the center. There is a really solid head that sticks around for a bit then forms into a nice little skin just covering the top. Lace will follow the beer as it goes down the glass. This beer looks great.

S- Hops will fill you nose. That is all I really got out of this beer.

T- Hops Hops and more Hops this is great. I did taste some malt and maybe a hint of citrus.

M- It's really good feel it's got a good thickness to it. Good carbonation a real smooth beer I think.

D- I love this beer this is the fist time I have tried it. I will keep this beer in my mind when I'm looking for beer that I'v already tried and like. I'm glad I got the last bottle at the store.

ratrod53, Oct 21, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -3%

Dead Guy Ale has a slightly cloudy orange colour. The head lasted less than a minute but it maintained some lacing around the edge of the glass. The smell is of floral hops. The taste is warm and malty with a hint of hoppy high notes. The maltiness intensifies as you swallow until some bitterness can be tasted. This beer feels pretty good in the mouth due to the decent amount of carbonation.

vandemonian, Oct 18, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into a Dead Guy pint glass

A - Pours a hazy orange-amber with a thin white head that dissipates to a thin ring. Spotty lacing.
S - Sweet caramel malt and a mild fruity hop aroma.
T - More sweet caramel malt with a earthy hop finish.
M - Smooth with a medium body and medium-high carbonation.
D - Nice and drinkable, definitely a go-to if there's nothing else available.

jsanford, Oct 17, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -19%

This beer is a pretty standard example of a solid, good quality, fairly hopped dry ale from a craft brewery.

Dark amber in color, with a medium head. Pine bark is the dominant aroma and is prominent in taste. A bit astringent and thin to my taste, but a reasonable choice for some strong-flavored foods, such as curries, which it will complement nicely.

Lack of character and one-dimensionality of this beer precludes me from drinking it often, but at times, especially when it's available fresh in a growler, I'll get it and enjoy while the growler lasts.

Cannoneer, Oct 17, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

I have had this beer many times before but have never rated it. It's usually my standby when encountering a limited selection.
So When I go to "Save on " in Mentor Ohio, I get singles of beer I had, but never rated....this is one of them.
Pours a burnt orange with thin white head. Great sweet, nutty flavor with a dry hop finish. Balanced, Medium body makes you want to drink several (and I have). Not a MUST have from rogue, but it is a great go to brew.

beergod1, Oct 16, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a golden amber color with a small head, not as big as I remember from the 12oz bottle.
Smells of slight sweets, and a mild hop citrus notes.
Taste is fantastic. Has a nice refreshing lager taste that finished with a slight citrusy bitter note from the hops.
From the growler, it has very little carbonation, which makes it easier to drink haha!

Thanks Rogue.

Spineypanda, Oct 16, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Been looking at this beer since I got into craft beer. Finally got a bomber of t.

A: Wow - nice apricot looking beer with a head that's the fluffliest I've ever seen. Very inviting.

S: Yum. Nose smells of candy, sugar, and malt, as well as some mild hops

T: Very tasty - candy, malt, bit of a lager flavor. Reminds me of the brooklyn lager in a way which is a good thing

M: Mild carbonation - easy to drink

D: Could have this all night. Excellent offering - moderate abv.

beerman207, Oct 16, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -8.9%

Served in a glass.

A: Pours a merky/cloudy dark orange almost brown. Hardly any carbonation after pouring. Very thick white head that dissipates very slowly. Very little lacing. (The previous analogy of it looking like unfiltered apple cider is dead on).

S: Definitely can smell the hops. Smells fresh & crisp. Maybe a very faint fruity aroma as well. Also maybe a very slight wheat smell to it.

T: Overall flavor is quite bitter for an ale in my experience. Seems more like a lager to me. Taste is crisp. Hops flavor is probably what causes the bitterness although maybe it is also a lemon flavor. Ever so slightly sweet. A little soapy.

M: Feels nice and smooth in the mouth. Not coarse at all. Doesn't feel light but not real heavy either.

D: Could tolerate a second bottle but probably not more than that.

I was attracted to this by the fact that it was in the craft beers section of a local grocery store (it was refrigerated and not exposed to too much light/was covered well). What also attracted me is that it was on sale for $10 for a six pack. I thought with an average B+ rating on BA (w/ almost 2000 reviews) and $10 a six pack (on sale! mind you) it had to be great or quite good. I had to try it.
My conclusion is that this is definitely not worth $10 for a six pack. Maximum I would pay for it after trying it is $6-7.
This "ale" is more befitting a lager. It is more bitter than most ales I've tried but it isn't a terrible tasting beer just not great. Give this a try if you don't mind your beer (or ale for that matter) a bit bitter. Not my every day type of beer though but to each his own.
Update:
No wonder I thought this was more like a lager, I didn't notice the BA type of "Maibock/Helles Bock" which explains why I thought it was more like a lager.
This would make a good spring time beer FYI.

echoes, Oct 15, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

A -
thick head creamy off white body is tan merky orange brown

S -
hops some sort of fruit maybe starfruit since it smells sweet tart

T -
taste is sweet tart like a star fruit big smooth hop character

M -
medium feel in the mouth smooth with low carbonation

D -
amazing good would and could have it at any point any where beer isnt to heavy nor light its great

bierguru, Oct 14, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Everywhere I go I see this beer. Its availability is insane. (at least in my area.
Pours a dark brown color with a tan head and great lacing. Smells of chocolate malts, vanilla, and some dark fruit. Tastes of vanilla, chocolate, coffee notes, roasted flavor, and some hidden hops. Mouthfeel is pretty nice. Drinkability is above average.

TheKingofWichita, Oct 14, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured in a chilled pint glass...

Appearance - beer pours with a nice substance to it. Head was fairly nice, a light brown tinge to it, fairly thick. Head turns into nice lacing. Nice light auburn colour, fairly cloudy.

Smell - slight smell of oranges/citrus and alcohol to this beer. smell is very nice and invites you to drink

Taste - i actually found this beer to be fairly smooth with an after taste that takes a few seconds to kick in. it really enlightens the taste buds, can really taste the malts and hint of citrus.

Mouthfeel - little more bitterness in the mouthfeel, the carbonation levels do not overly increase but are present. can really feel the beer in your mouth,

Drinkability - I am fairly impressed with this beer. Very nice tasting beer that offers a lot to the senses. Overall, i can drink a few of these a nite, but would be a great beer to pass out at a party!

Swedes21, Oct 13, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

A- Little head that goes away quickly. Beer is a reddish amber and very cloudy.

S- Apple cider with sweet caramel malty background.

T- First tart then bitterness with an apple flavor at first that is quickly covered in toasted malts. Wasn't expecting the toasted malts from the scent, though they are not extremely powerful at all. A little bit of a buttery caramel also is there. Citrus hops come in for a pretty nice finish, not very bitter but good hop flavor.

M- Medium body with relatively high carbonation. I would call it smooth but not crisp.

D- Nicely drinkable, nothing about it makes me not want to take another drink, overall this will be gone relatively quick. Could be a session beer, though i probably wouldn't want more than a couple at one time

Spiekerbox, Oct 12, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -19%

Poured from a 64oz growler

A - Thicker than I thought when pouring, deep apple cider color. Not much of a head on this one nor lacing, and slightly unfiltered.

S - Has a sweet, fruity hop aroma to it. Hints of spiced cider, apple juice, blood orange, and light syrup.

T - Starts off juicy with an apple juice tartness and moves to a lightly bittering flavor from the hops. Hop flavors of grapefruit. Not nearly as bitter as expected. Finishes with a cider sweetness. Kind of dull all around and nothing that really sticks out.

M/D - Medium body that is nicely carbonated but is somewhat flat on the palate when it comes to body and mouth feel. Alcohol presence not really there and drinkability is average, much like the rest of this beer.

I've had this before in the past and don't remember it being as bland/dull so maybe I'll revisit it in the future...especially for the price for a bottle, had more expectations.

VaTechHopHead, Oct 11, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours orange/brown into an imperial pint with a half inch of off-white head. Floral aroma towards camomile with biscuit malt and honey sweetness.

Taste is bitter while cold. As it warms, the bitterness grows but the taste blooms: biscuit and earthy malt, herbal and spicy hops, ending in lingering, drying bitterness. My saliva glands continue producing long after I've swallowed the sip, as if expecting more fun. Tea with honey -- that taste and impression lingers, as the tannins reinforce the suggestion of black tea.

Highly drinkable, light on the tongue, wonderful.

Listed as a Maibock / Helles. Always thought of it as an APA.

salvo, Oct 11, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured half a big bottle (1 pint 6oz) into a glass pint.

A: Nice looking brew. Has an amber / dark honey color with a very thick head.

S: Rich malty aroma. Smells nutty w. caramel hints.

T: Tastes very malty and nutty BUT has a very nice finish to it. VERY well balanced.

M: Nicley carbonated. Rich with a medium to heavy feel on the tongue.

D: Well balanced but just average (D) for me though. Just not something I would sit down and drink a six pack of.

Nice change of pace beer though.
Would like to find it on tap sometime.

TB2, Oct 07, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into my favorite beer drinking glass -

Nice light amber color with a thin lace and one finger head -lot's of bubbles.

Smell was almost like carmel .

Taste was excellent nice toasty malts taste maybe even a hint of coffee. very unique and flavorful.

I had no problem pounding this pint and a half ..extremely drinkable .

InebriatedJoker, Oct 07, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

This beer poured a hazy amber with a 1 finger high off-white head, which disappeared quickly.. There was light lacing on the glass. The initial smell of the beer is that of malts, barley, and dark fruits. The initial taste of the beer were sweet dark fruits with a malt backbone. The beer finished with barley on the tongue. The brew had a light to medium body with light to medium carbonation. Overall, it was not that bitter of a beer and slightly sweet.

In conclusion, this beer was ok. I'm not a fan of bock beers, so this was an experiment for me, frankly I'm still not a fan of them. Overall, it tastes like a bock beer and is probably a good beer for those who like the style.

Mancer, Oct 06, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

10/03/2010
22 oz. bomber poured into a pint glass.

A: Poured a hazy amber with half-finger, quickly dissipating head. Bright side is lots of carbonation pitting and good lacing.

S: Nutty, with hints of honey and biscuits.

T: Tastes like it smells. Decent maltiness with a hint of biscuits and a touch of honey.

M: Smooth. Mild hop aftertaste.

D: Decent session beer. Gets better with more sips. A safe pick at the bar.

DoppleJock, Oct 05, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

A: The head is thick and creamy and a light beige color, retention is good and coats the interior of the glass, medium orange to dark gold in color, crystal clear beer which permits great visibility to all the activity going on in this beer - 4.25, S: The nose is quite heavy on the malts and has a lightly toasted and malted milk ball aroma, I also perceive a touch of sweet caramel on the nose, no hops are really perceived - 4.00, T: The hops that alluded me on the nose are noticeable on the palate - significant bitterness, a mellow sweetness exists - somewhat doughy and/or cookie dough-like, there is an earthy and dry bite on the tail end of the beer - 3.50, M: Medium bodied and creamy - 4.00, D: Pretty nice representation to the style, very drinkable - 3.50

deereless, Oct 03, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle poured into a Perfect Pint glass

The beer poured out an orange-y, amber color; very clear and clean looking with a nice head.

It has a malty, "brown" aroma that wasn't too strong. I picked up a little hint of citrus, but nothing very specific.

At first taste, I was underwhelmed. No flavors stood out to me and I wasn't sure what this beer was trying to be. The main thing that stuck out to me was a bit of a yeasty aftertaste. I was somewhat disappointed.

Then I got busy doing a few things as the beer settled in the glass. Upon my next sip, I was very impressed with how pleasant and balanced the flavor was. I started to wonder if this was intended to be a red ale. There's no prevalent sign of hoppiness or nuttiness, just a copper-colored ale that tastes great. Very drinkable. I will definitely have this one again.

mjrod2142, Oct 03, 2010

Overall this truly is one of the best beers around. "Dead Guy" is a perfect balance of malt and hops. It's sweet without being syrupy and hoppy without the aggressive bitter edge. A full bodied ale that is so very drinkable all day long. It pares well with hearty sandwiches and burgers as well as with a good sharp Cheddar and Dry Genoa salami. I wait all year for this tasty beer and it never fails to meet my expectations. I love you Rogue
brewery!

Nadja6123, Oct 01, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

First experience with a helles lager, it's super hopped out and really tasty. I enjoy it quite a bit.

the appearance is light in color but thicker then some other american lagers. nice gold color and short head retention.

taste is very hopped out and strong but it leaves a good taste on your tongue.

mouthfeel is good and long slight bubble on your tongue.

drinkability is good and I could enjoy this beer quite a bit due to it's availability.

revolt914, Oct 01, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

An above average beer that wont wake the dead guy

A - red/amber with a small single finger head

S - I could small hops but not much else I was expecting a bit more with the nice color.

T - Nice but hops still rule this brew. Maybe a hoppy version of a Sam

M - Medium body, good carbonation

D - Well balanced, but you gotta like hops to really enjoy this beer. Good but not great

CheckmateBrew, Oct 01, 2010

Picked up a pre-packaged growler of this from the liquour store for a party, and, on a separate night, had a couple bottles at a thai restaurant for dinner. I will review the growler, as it seemed a little perkier and more flavorful. Dark garnet color, small off-white head. Lightly hopped, good caramel flavors, sweet, but not cloying so. A very drinkable, very enjoyable beer.

emmasdad, Sep 30, 2010