Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
drizzam

Wisconsin

My first foray into the world of Rogue.

Appearance - Poured into a pint glass, nice fluffy eggshell color head that retains beautifully. Held up to the light it is a dirty, cloudy orange/copper color.

Smell - Sort of a sweet, malty smell. Seems like I smell a slight caramel odor as well. Smells pretty tasty.

Taste - Tastes malty, with a slight piney, hoppy bite on the swallow. Not as sweet or caramelly as the nose would suggest.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied mouthfeel. Rather creamy with a bitter hoppy aftertaste. Seems to be rather low in the area of carbonation, and I think this lends to the creamy mouthfeel and medium body.

Drinkability - I think this is a brew with quaffability. Maibocks are pretty decent session brews in my opinion, and this one is certainly no exception. I could see drinking a few of these at a grill-out on a summer weekend. Highly recommended!

03-27-2009 22:14:22 | More by drizzam
IRONRakkasan

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

Very little head, though the lacing was fine and stayed throughout.

A nice amber color with a bitter fruity hops aroma.

The fruitiness and hops dominated throught the beer, as one would expect from a maibock. It was a little bitter for my liking, and for some reason I was expecting something a little lighter in taste.

All around, not a bad brew.

03-25-2009 22:31:09 | More by IRONRakkasan
drink1121

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

A- Nice 2 finger head with decent retention

S- Spring pear scents. Little hoppy.

T- Similiar to a Pale Ale. Pear and small hints of citrus flavors. Hoppy again.

M - Again similiar to a Pale Ale, fairly smooth.

D - I could take a few of these down.

03-25-2009 01:37:15 | More by drink1121
nickfl

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%

A - Large, creamy white head and a clear, copper-brown body. Good head retention and lace.

S - Bready malt, light caramel, and some fruity english yeast.

T - Fruity yeas, toasted malt, and light hops. Some moderately dark caramel in the middle. The finish is thick and bready with light, balancing bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderately low carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - Flavorful and full bodied with a nice malty character. Reasonably drinkable, but the heavy malt gets old after a couple of pints.

03-23-2009 02:43:33 | More by nickfl
brianlg

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

Have had this a couple times and each time I have it I feel like the drinkability goes down. Pours a lighter amber/dark orange color with a fairly small white head. It smells sweet and malty. It is pretty smooth and tastes of malts. Also a little bit of sweet bitterness. There is something weird in the taste that I seem to dislike more every time I have this. It is not bad at all, just changing my original reaction. It is drinkable, but I couldn't drink a lot of this in a night. Still, a very good beer. A lot of people praise this highly.

03-23-2009 01:11:47 | More by brianlg
jonziefle

3.48/5  rDev -11.9%

Appearance: Poured an orangish amber and was not quite clear. Half finger bubbly off-white head that reduces to a thin layer quickly. Some visible carbonation.

Smell: Nose is very strong apple, with some dark fruity dry hops deep down. Sweet. Some malts, but not overly strong.

Taste: A piney, hoppy bite up front that smooths out nicely with more malts in the back. Good balance between the malts and the hops, but a little "simple". Not as sweet as the smell.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Has a nice bite and is decently crisp.

Drinkability: Definitely a good beer and an easy drinker. Not as complex or hoppy as I usually like, but a good solid beer.

03-21-2009 02:21:32 | More by jonziefle
MyGoodness

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Recommended by a friend, this was a good spur of the moment purchase. Beer pours a beautiful reddish amber colour with a thin tan head, leaves nice lacing in the glass. The smell is heavy with malts and some notes of carmel. Theres also a very estery kick, with another aroma that adds warmth somehow to it. Taste is sharp and crisp- you get the malts and citrus, along with a bit of honey right before the slightly bitter (but great) aftertaste, which is hops-heavy. Mouthfeel is smooth but light- not too rich. Overall, I would say this is very drinkable. I'm a new fan of this and would definitely keep it stored in my fridge.
Sorry if the review is too gushy, but I'm reviewing as I'm tasting. Hey, don't judge- it's a fun way to procrastinate studying...

03-20-2009 02:20:42 | More by MyGoodness
cottonkoozie

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

A - Nice amber/honey color. Creamy colored head, about one finger. Decent lacing

S - Good smell, lots of malts and some fruit hops smell to balance.

T - A very balanced beer, nice level of malts and hops. Nothing really overpowering here, very good.

M - Nice body, not very heavy but not to light.

D - Very drinkable, great session beer.

Good beer, it was the special that night so I decided to give it a try and I don't regret it. Probably reach for this again sometime.

03-16-2009 18:10:28 | More by cottonkoozie
mugglesandhops

Oklahoma

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Dead Guy is the first Rogue beer I ever drank and it still one of my standbys. Red in color, 1 finger off white head, some lacing, smells of spicy hops, tastes fairly hoppy but not like a IPA, Thin to medium bodied fairly drinkable little too strong for a session beer but I have drank my fair share in a sitting.

03-13-2009 14:20:21 | More by mugglesandhops
jculler82

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

12 oz. bottle to a pilsner glass.

Pours a clear orangey gold color with a one finger white head. Nice lacing. Scents are faint. Mainly bready malts and dark fruits, as the beer warms alcohol comes through as well.

The taste mirrors the smell mainly with the raisin-y fruitiness, with alcohol in the finish. Mouthfeel is creamy, but a bit thin/watery.

Note: This beer definitely benefits from the proper glassware. I enjoy Dead Guy much more from the pilsner over a standard pint.

03-11-2009 00:07:11 | More by jculler82
endincolorado

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance- Hazy amber colored body like clove honey, various bubble sizes in a cream-colored head

Smell- Sweet bready malts with caramel and light estery hops

Taste- More bready malts, slightly buttery and warming feeling as it goes down, excellent hop-bitterness that gives great balance, bitter finish that stays on the tongue and then reminds me of orange rind and wheat bread.

Mouthfeel- smooth, medium-bodied with good carbonation

An excellently balanced beer that I've had my share of, and will return to again and again. A great session beer.

03-09-2009 00:28:25 | More by endincolorado
Jeffo

Netherlands

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Got this at Bert's Bierhuis in Utrecht.

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a medium thick 1 finger off white head. Medium carbonation evident. Color is pumpkin orange or amber and is partially cloudy. Head levels out to a thin film that stays only around the rim. No lacing. Beautiful color, but the rest is quite average.

SMELL: Sweet caramel malt and quite fruity, perhaps some mango or melon. Citrus like with a touch of vanilla in the back perhaps. Pretty nice really.

TASTE: Toasted malt and some sweet caramel malt together with some citrus fruit undertones. Mango shows up, accompanied by a touch of grapefruit, followed by some bread-like flavors and hop bitterness at the end. Bitter-sweet aftertaste is strong and long lasting, with a touch of bread in there too. Pretty decent.

PALATE: Medium-thick body with medium carbonation. Creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth at the front but ends with a bit of a scratch and bite at the back of the throat right at the end. A nice touch. Finishes somewhat dry on the palate.

OVERALL: Very enjoyable. A drinkable brew that's tasty and interesting. The ABV is a little high to be a session beer, but this is definitely one I could have a few of. Recommended.

03-07-2009 15:10:12 | More by Jeffo
Hoagie1973

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

Cloudy deep gold with a fluffy initial head. Fair retention & lacing.

Smells malty and fruity with light alcohol in the back.

Bready malt flavor is complemented by dark fruit (raisins) and honey. Earthy hops keep a nice balance. Slightly dry in the finish, but that gives way to a light sweetness that lingers.

Feel is very smooth and medium to full. Carbonation levels are perfect.

Overall a great, flavorful, balanced and drinkable beer that isn't too filling. I loved it.

03-07-2009 02:26:05 | More by Hoagie1973
JJBlanche

4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

A perennial favorite. If you haven't yet tried this, you best get to the store and pick up a few.

A - Nice, rich brown. Very nice head, w/ lacing.

S - Very good. Malty, some hops influence. Definitely among this best in this regard.

T - Again, very good. Complex maltiness up front, topped off by a great hop finish.

M - About spot on.

D - Very drinkable.

03-04-2009 07:54:37 | More by JJBlanche
Ralphus

Ontario (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Rogue makes some good beer.. and their dead guy ale is no exception. I have been drinking this since the fall when I was introduced to it at a beer tasting party and it has not let me down since.

Dead guy pours with a lovely looking cloudy golden brown color and has an offwhite head that sticks around. There's some lacing down the sides of the glass as you drink (rather quickly). On the nose you'll find biscuit malts, flowers and honey.. it's pleasant but you might not know it was there unless you were looking for it. The taste however, is a standout. Rich caramel sweetness up front with just the right mouthfeel greets you at every sip. And the finish is dead on - a well balanced hop bite at the end clears away the sweetness and brings you back for more.

Drinkability ranks high.. you could easily session this.

03-03-2009 23:58:55 | More by Ralphus
PeprSprYoFace

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a nice amber color. Had a very nice looking white head that stayed for a while. Good lookin beer.

Smells malty and of caramel with a little lager touch to it.

Taste is crisp and refreshing. Slightly malty with a little caramel taste. Very good.

Mouthfeel seems good but I think it could use a little more carbonation.

Overall a very sessionable beer that i would buy a sixer of to bring to a party or maybe even a case. Great brew...

03-03-2009 21:54:26 | More by PeprSprYoFace
pocketholes

Vermont

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

It was the definition of amber color when poured. It had a short white head. A little too short for me, but it might have been the bottle I got.

It smelled sweet like honey. It tasted sweet like honey as well and then led into a nice slight bitter aftertaste. It tasted smooth and very dry with a medium weight.

Went down well I'd certainly have another.

03-03-2009 02:23:02 | More by pocketholes
Vengeance526

Louisiana

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours an orange amber color with a slight haze producing a one finger white head that retains nicely and leaves moderate lacing.

Initial aroma is malty with light citrus notes. Smells lightly sweet with subtle notes of spice.

Taste starts with caramel notes along with some bread and honey. About a quarter of the way through I began to detect notes that were a little more fruity and slightly grassy. Starts off fairly sweet but gradually becomes more bitter as you go along.

Medium body with a light to medium carbonation level. I could see drinking maybe 2 of these in a sitting but I didn't feel like I would want to drink this all night long. For some reason, I've never been blown away by Dead Guy like some people are but this is still pretty solid stuff. For my tastes, this isn't one of my favorites to drink by itself but it does seem to pair well with some spicy foods, so there's definitely certain occasions where this would be more drinkable for me.

03-02-2009 23:58:49 | More by Vengeance526
unitas3

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured a medium amber body with great lacing and a pure cloudy unfiltered appearance. On the nose it is tremendously pleasing with a great deal of malts and roasted grains with a sweet honey fruit scent backed by a serious balance of sweet and savory. The taste delivered what the smell promised. Very balanced with a great deal of malt and a sweet earthy molasses fruit. Well balanced through the finish even with the alcohol present on the palate with pleasant carbonation and a medium to full body. A great early spring (when it is still chilly out) or fall beer. Rogue continues to deliver...

03-01-2009 03:19:31 | More by unitas3
johlendorf

3.95/5  rDev 0%

22oz bomber into 12oz mug

A = Once I opened it and saw thick, cloudy vapors pouring out I knew there were problems. Tough pour. Pleasant dark honey color.

S = Sweet malts and fruit. Rich and pleasing.

T = Perfectly malty. I don't usually like malty beers but the light carbonation and clean, well balanced finish addressed all my usual complaints.

M = Satisfying and thick, without the usual malt clinginess/stickiness.

D = This bomber never stood a chance.

No brewed on/drink by date. Not sure if it was a little old or just a little over carbonated.

I'm not huge into Rogue but they always seem to deliver the goods.

02-28-2009 01:10:21 | More by johlendorf
monoXcide

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

Got this at Magnolia in Lynchburg, Va

Appearance - Very nice clear rich amber color with sticky lacing and a quarter inch off white head.

Smell - Sweet and slightly hoppy

Taste - Kinda complex. Bright start. Sweet and bitter with a little more of the bitter coming through at the end along with alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel - Very good. Foamy and has good presence. It makes the gulp noise when I swallow :)

Drinkability - Great! This is a pleasure to drink and I will have to go back and get the rest of its brethren from the sixer from which this one came.

Makes me want to try others from this style and I will drink this again.

02-27-2009 23:55:17 | More by monoXcide
Nipitato

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

Purchased a bottle at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.

A: Light amber hue. Brilliant clarity. A persistent creamy white head crowns this glowing gem. Sticky lacing.

S: Moderate malty aroma with toasted notes. Some peppery hop character. Quite nice. Clean and crisp.

T: Slightly sweet malt flavor. Some DMS. Nice pepper/spicy hops. Clean lager character.

MF: Medium body. Moderate carbonation. Nice alcohol warming.

D, notes: A fine tasting lager that is surely a good crossover beer.

02-27-2009 17:08:13 | More by Nipitato
herbalist

Washington

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

Rogue has numerous great beers and I'll note that overall I'm a big fan of this brewery. Dead Guy pours a nice orange/amber color with a small white head. In a glass it is almost translucent and is not particularly dark.

It smells sweet with a mix of malt and maybe light citrus. It has overtones of yeast and alcohol. It almost smells as if its going to taste slightly bitter.

The initial taste is sweet with good bit of malt and an almost caramel or toffee flavor. It tastes kinda like candy! But not in a way that is unenjoyable or fruity. Underneath the sweetness there is a nice bite from the hops. The beer is also not too thick which is nice but at the same time has a nice subtle alcoholic warmth to it. Its a great beer to drink as winter comes to an end but is still a little chilly outside.

It is not too heavy so it can be drinkin often and it goes really well with pizza!

02-26-2009 21:12:36 | More by herbalist
Wutz

North Dakota

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

I've had Rogue's Dead Guy on a number of occasions. Each time I have it, it's better than the last. I assume it's because my palate is evolving. It's possible I'm nuts, but I'd like to think I'm holding it together pretty well. Anyway, on to the review of one of my favorite beers:

Appearance - Though I'm not an expert in color nomenclature, it appeared to be an attractive burnt orange. My pouring technique was a bit sloppy and heavy so a thick head formed and dissipated semi-quickly leaving a bit of lacing on the glass.

Aroma - I first detected a significant malty sweetness in concert with orange zest notes. Upon further investigation, I dug out a bit of spiciness and some raisin/prune smells.

Taste - Early in the taste, I got a good dose of what I think is caramel malt and piney bitterness. They seemed to be so well balanced that I had a hard time picking them out individually to put a name/quality to the really impressive taste I was getting. Swallowing revealed a bit of honey and as the beer warmed (maybe even past the ideal temp) the honey became more pronounced and helped reveal earthy. grassy, and bread-like flavors.

Mouthfeel - The beer had a medium body that I felt wasn't too syrupy (is that even a word?) for the taste but was possibly inching toward it. There wasn't a whole lot of carbonation and it felt soft in my mouth, which I quite liked. I do have to note that I agitated this beer quite a few times to try to reveal aromas I thought were there (and may be there that I'm just not finding) so I probably "swirled out" a fair bit of the carbonation.

Drinkability - The medium mouthfeel with a faintly oily finish made me salivate after each sip. I felt pained putting the beer down and picking the pen up knowing I'd have to wait a tick to imbibe again. I could probably drink four-ish of these, my usual limit for beer consumption. It might have too much sweetness to be an all-nighter, though. I'd recommend a switch to SNPA when this becomes too sweet; the American pale worked well after this Mai-ale for me on at least one occasion.

Overall, I really love this beer and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to my best friend, my most discerning beer buddy, or my boss.

Unfortunately, my scores might be a bit low because I'm "hedging my bets" to allow myself some wiggle room on future beer reviews. I can't just give this thing an easy "A" having only one other review under my BA belt, though I'd really like to.

02-25-2009 04:29:28 | More by Wutz
Jekster

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: This beer pours a beautiful, slightly cloudy, deep amber orange with a one finger thick pure white head.

Smell: This beer has aromas of toasted caramel and grainy malt. There is a pleasant fruity ester of pears or honeydew. The sweet malt aromas come across obviously, but do not overpower the more subtle elements in the nose.

Taste: This beer has a definite light fruit character meshed with a bready, malty, goodness. There is a sweet honeysuckle nectar character along with the flavors of fresh warm baked bread and subtle bitter cherry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: This beer has a light and pleasant mouthfeel with a low to medium low carbonation. It is amazingly easy on your palette and extremely refreshing.

Drinkability: I could kick back quite a few of these over the evening at a pub or while sitting on my porch during the summer. It has nice flavors, without being overpowering, and a light body that makes extremely easy to drink.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: I think this is a fantastic beer. It has a nice flavor and aroma profile that is complex enough yet not too over the top given the light, playful nature of the body. It definitely has more character than your traditional English styles, but is reminiscent of that same vain of easy drinking subtlety flavored beers. I think it would pair fantastically with typical pub grub like fish and chips or mutton stew. Or, it would pair fantastically with a six pack of it's buddies on a hot summer dark or while raking leaves in the fall.

02-25-2009 02:42:52 | More by Jekster