2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Dead Guy AleDead Guy Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,356 | Reviews: 2,234 | Show All Ratings:
polloenfuego

Ontario (Canada)

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pilsener glass.

A: poured a golden brown color with a decent head that dissipated a little quicker than I anticipated.

S: sweet, malty and honey and cloves come forward.

T: follows the smell, the malt is there and there is a honey/caramel sweetness to it.

M: smooth with some prickly carbonation.

O: my first experience with this style. Definitely not something I would have every day. It was perhaps a little sweet for my liking. I normally don't drink a 22 oz beer alone, so I had a bit left over. A decent enough brew...better suited to the fall in my opinion.

08-23-2013 20:56:05 | More by polloenfuego
MarvinSnyder

West Virginia

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a pilsener glass from a 12 FL. OZ. bottle.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, honey brown color with a decent head that only slightly dissipates. Nice lacing but somewhat sporadic. Really a fine looking beer.

Smell: busy on the nose with caramel, sweet malt, honey, burnt tobacco, graham cracker, and candied oranges.

Taste: bready and malty. Overall pretty sweet with caramel, graham cracker, and honey most prevalent. Also expect a very slight hop presence manifested through the candied orange and earthy, burnt tobacco. The alcohol is hidden throughout.

Mouthfeel: Very little carbonation. Silky and creamy. Maybe a a little chewy.

Overall: I've had this beer several times. At beer dinners, pubs, and even as a beer of the month selection. This is a complex beer and a great example in this style. It continues to grow on me through every tasting.

08-20-2013 20:11:59 | More by MarvinSnyder
mpedara429

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Pours out a hazy and deep amber color. Two fingers of a light tan head. Lacing is a bit spotty.

S: Bready and sweet. It kind of reminds me of graham crackers. Also, getting subtle hints of a candied orange type smell.

T: Earthy hop up front, followed by the same characteristics of the wonderful nose. Great balance, and not as sweet as the nose would imply.

M: Sticky and a little creamy. Body is on the medium-heavy side. Carbonation is on the softer side.

O: I've had this sitting in my basement for a few months now. My friends rave about this beer and I've been skeptical to try it because I'm more of an IPA guy. I can see what all the fuss is about. This beer executes on all levels and I'll be looking forward to having more of these in the cooler seasons.

08-12-2013 00:32:51 | More by mpedara429
CalgaryFMC

Alberta (Canada)

3.89/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Tried at a pub in downtown Calgary on a nice sunny Saturday afternoon. Pours up a honey golden graham hue with a moderate amount of beige head. Aroma was sweet, fairly floral, spicy Noble hops. Taste was a really complex mosaic of light caramel, aromatic biscuit, lemon, dry chocolate powder, orange, honey, and tobacco with ample hop spice and subtle bitterness. I was struck by how integrated the flavors were, one had to really focus to pick them out and the overall impression is one of a floral/herb/spice bouquet with a honey sweet backdrop. If Rogue was going for integration rather than staggering things on the palate they hit a home run here.

08-11-2013 00:09:29 | More by CalgaryFMC
Beerwolf666

Maryland

3.91/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Well..I Really did not want to like this Beer,Basically Because so many of my Friends have been Raving about it, to the point I was sick of hearing how Awesome it is,and though I love my Friends Dearly,they can be Huge "Beer Snobs" who are always slagging my Beloved Heineken & Yeingling [Porter]~So I very much wanted to tell my buddies that "Rouge Dead Guy Ale" is just another overpriced,over Hyped Brew,sold to them by slick Marketing aimed @ Beer snobs just like them,who feel you must pay @ least 15 bucks a 6er for decent brew,[which I feel is total bullsh*&] there are tons of gr8 brews out there for around 7~10 bucks a 6er.
Anyway,Last night I made my usual Beer run after work,and Decided to Finally check out some Dead Guy Ale,[15 bucks a 6er] upon getting home,I Popped one right away and poured it in a standard Pint glass,and right away was taken by the beautiful,slightly amber,almost copper color,OK..looks very nice,Next I gave it the ole sniffer test,smelled malty and quite hoppy,which led to my mouth watering like a Lion looking at a Zebra,it had a decent Head,but nothing to write home about..but I have to say, as soon as I Tasted it,the less then stellar head meant nothing at all!quite simply this is one Top Notch Brew,with hints of Carmel & maybe a little toffee also,very malty & hoppy [just like it smelled] So in closing,my Beer Snob Friends were right on the money [this time..hehe] "Rouge Dead Guy Ale" is a Wonderful Brew,and will always have a place in my Beer Fridge;)

08-10-2013 15:59:02 | More by Beerwolf666
microbrewlover

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This brew pours a honey brown color with a 1/2 finger head which dissipates quickly. However some of the original head remains on the beer until the end. Light lacing.

The smell is sweet and roasted malts, caramel, honey, lemon and orange.

This brew is sweet as in sweet like caramel and honey, both of which dominate. Then I can taste both sweet and roasted malts. I am picking up more caramel than honey. Also there are light, peppery hops and an orange taste on the backend.

The mouthfeel is smooth but slightly chewy. Slightly tangy due to the carbonation.

Overall a good example of a Maibock, I have had better but this is near the top of the bunch. It is definitely worth trying.

08-09-2013 21:59:40 | More by microbrewlover
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Poured two fingers of head on a mostly clear, medium straw colored body.
The aroma is quite "grainy." Like sticking your nose into a grain silo. There's a little lemon in the background though.
The taste is wonderful, great balance. It has a big dose of bitterness upfront, then a big malt bill comes through. Finishes clean.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
Enjoyable.

08-08-2013 01:55:46 | More by Fatehunter
spoony

Colorado

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From a 650 ml bottle into a globe glass.

A-The brew pours a reddish-hued honey color. It is nearly clear, with just a slight chill haze impeding my view. There is one finger of light-tan foam that fades quickly and leaves no lacing. A few bubbles of carbonation are visible.

S-I smell a good bit of sweet caramel, some honey, melon, apple, and malted grain. There is a little bit of wheat-like spice underneath. Nice balance here.

T-The taste tracks the smell with caramel and moderate sweetness from the tan malts. However, I'm not getting the sweet fruits that I smelled...its more caramel on the palate. There is a touch of drying, spicy bitterness on the finish. Nice balance again.

M-The beer is robust on the palate, but not heavy or syrupy thanks to the decent hit of prickly carbonation.

O-I can't believe it has taken me this many years to try Dead Guy, but I am glad I finally did. The beer may not have much flash or any bret in there, but what it lacks in pizazz, it makes up for in drinkability and balance. From the first sniff to the last drop on the palate, this beer is a well-made example of old-school micro-brewing.

07-30-2013 00:25:09 | More by spoony
JWU

4.09/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12oz. bottle poured into a tumbler

A- a nearly translucent (chill haze?) amber/honey/light orange hints, with a small white head, a little lacing.

S- Malts with a BIG honey sweetness.

T- Taste is far more complex, a very smooth honey sweetness is cut by a very balanced bitterness and slightly earthy hop component. Bitterness lingers.

M- Smoooth, with a prickly, tight carbonation. Medium bodied.

O- The quintessential Maibock.

07-28-2013 01:57:09 | More by JWU
JWearda

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Served: in a pint glass from the bar tap.

Appearance: a beautiful honey color with a bit of red mixed in, making for a solidly dark amber complexion.

Taste: Dead Guy has some mild hoppy characteristics, but very subtle. This hoppy character is only evident briefly before fading into a very satisfying, well-rounded beer. Interestingly the flavor doesn't come alive until you've had it in your mouth for a bit. Very tasty, indeed! Not too hoppy, hints of malt, and a light sweetness., with just the right amount of carbonation.

Finish: reminiscent, faintly, of a mild IPA. Nothing overbearing, and doesn't lay heavy. Very smooth!

Overall: a very satisfying beer loaded with flavor. You will always find a Dead Guy in my fridge at home!

07-25-2013 17:42:16 | More by JWearda
Libationguy

Nevada

4.11/5  rDev +4.1%

Reddish-copper color with slight chill haze. Off-white frothy 2 finger head with medium retention.

Orange peel, carambola, melba toast, gingersnaps and a very mild dankness.

Honeysuckle, tropical fruit, candied orange zest, light brown sugar, allspice, light clove notes, pineapple; citrus and a slight resin quality keep everything clean.

Medium bodied, almost-but-not-quite-creamy mouthfeel. Moderate level of carbonation and bitterness, with the bitterness holding on very late into the finish.

This beer really picks up on the palate. Not at all what I would expect after the nose. Truly interesting and makes you want to go back in for another sip. While several of the descriptors would make you think that the beer would be sweet, it manages to come up to the edge without going over. The beer actually finishes slightly on the bitter side.

I honestly don't know that I would want to drink it all night, but it would be a great beer anytime as part of a line-up.

07-24-2013 19:29:55 | More by Libationguy
ToriBug13

3.64/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Rogue Brewing Dead Guy Ale

A- Great head! 1 inch thick, thick lacing. Pretty amber brown, not crystal clear, but not murky either. Could be due to temp.

S- Malty, caramel, Slightly sweet. As it should smell.

T- Nice. Good, well balanced maibock. Hoppy, brown sugar. Great carbonation with a touch of bitterness. Not overly hopped for an ale, which is nice. Has just a hint of pine. Just good beer.

07-17-2013 15:03:00 | More by ToriBug13
dar482

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The beers comes in an light orange amber color.

The aroma has just lots of light brown sugar from the malt. A bit of earthy and spicy hops.

The flavor follows with mostly bready malts, with a good amount of gentle sweetness. Then there's some apple, white raisin, clove spice, yeast. There's a good amount of fruity esters in the middle.

The finish is very crisp and smooth, and has a good amount of drying and bittering. Lots of carbonation.

This actually was a very good beer for the style. Not very lager-y, but it imitates the style very well with its breadiness, yet still with that ale light body. A really enjoyable beer for those not into bitterness or the grassy hops of other German style lagers. This balances that well being an ale.

07-17-2013 05:02:00 | More by dar482
yeastlovehoppiness_jess

1.74/5  rDev -55.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

A: coppery brown. thin layer of head. clear.

S: yeast. malt. sweat?

T: slightly sour, especially at the back of the tongue. wheatish, but in a darker way. caramel? ...but not a sweet, good caramel.

M: medium bodied. pretty smooth.

O: I don't have a whole lot to say about this ale other than I wasn't a fan. I love Rogue, but this ale wasn't for me.

blech.

07-06-2013 00:52:39 | More by yeastlovehoppiness_jess
yeastlovehoppiness_greg

1.94/5  rDev -50.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 1.75

This beer looked good. Medium Dark amber color. It had a malty but sweaty smell to it. It had a thin head. Then I tasted it and it was very malty, but that sweaty smell was what it tasted like. I tried to drink it, but the more I drank the worse it tasted. I may have gotten a bad one by all the reviews here but it pretty much ruined beer for me for the rest of the night. So, I had to rate this one pretty poorly.

beerloveandhoppiness.com

07-06-2013 00:41:36 | More by yeastlovehoppiness_greg
BeerEngineer

2.13/5  rDev -46.1%

NOTE - I HAD TO GRADE THIS BEER EXTREMELY LOW BECAUSE IT HAD AN INFECTION OF SOME SORT. TERRIBLE ALCOHOLIC BURN AND TASTE, CORN ODOR (DMS) VERY HIGH. I DUMPED THIS BOTTLE.

General - Had a 22 oz bottle of this in the fridge for too long. I used to be a big fan of this but now, not so much. I'm going to try and review this as it should be with the BJCP style 5A. I'm drinking it out of my New Belgium tulip.

Appearance - Color is a deep copper to light brown, somewhere around an SRM of 17. The head is great at first, light and fluffy with a slightly off-white color. Head diminishes quickly.

Aroma - There is a moderate malty scent on this, appropriate for the style. There is a hint of hops with it which is typically not acceptable. Typically a maibock will have very minimal noble hop aroma. There is something wrong with this bottle, I can't tell what it is. I smell something like creamed corn mixed with rubbing alcohol.

Taste - Not going to happen, did you read the aroma section I wrote? Ok so I tasted it anyway. Super bitter, definitely bad. This is infected with something. This sucks. I'm done with this.

Mouthfeel - There is a big astringency with this, it is gross.

Overall - Yikes, I normally don't see DMS in commercially available beers but that's Rogue for you. I used to like this brand and sometime I will give it another review but this one is terrible. I'm not one to dump beer, but I have good stuff in the fridge that I'd rather drink. This beer was infected.

07-03-2013 02:55:51 | More by BeerEngineer
SDbrewerJake

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I dont usualy drink ales unless its and ipa or something of the sort but this was my brothers so i was willing to try. And glad i did. Nice malty taste with a lingering finish that was a plesant flavor in my mouth. Not too bad.. .now i just need to try the double dead guy ale.

07-02-2013 20:22:52 | More by SDbrewerJake
bryan005

3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

Found this cheap at Meijer $6 / 6 pack. Saw the great reviews here, but I was disappointed. Like my better half said, "Well, it tastes like beer."

There was nothing special about this ale. I'm new at this, but it was very lager-ish to me.

06-25-2013 04:20:36 | More by bryan005
Aleks_P

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Amber and transparent, pours with very little head.

Smell: Nothing of note with respect to smell. A bit of malt coming through I suppose.

Taste: Interesting flavor. Relatively light and smooth, not particularly bitter or malty. Maybe some caramel but not really a sweet beer.

Mouthfeel: Light and smooth, doesn't elicit any particular reaction. Very easy to drink.

Overall: I don't have any particularly strong feelings here. The beer is not noticeably malty or hoppy, doesn't have any particularly strong flavor. A good beer but could not find anything to really like or dislike about it so I guess I'm neutral. Might buy this again, might not.

06-23-2013 01:23:35 | More by Aleks_P
Bear1964

Nebraska

3.61/5  rDev -8.6%

Pour was from a 22oz bottle into a Pint glass and the cloudy Orange/Brown color was very nice, thick White head reached 2 1/2 fingers and hung around. It was hard to get a definable aroma, malty sweetness is what came through and maybe some mild hops. Taste is where I really fell for this Ale, sweet with a tangy after taste...some bitters on the back of the tongue and a malty finish. The mouthfeel was solid with a medium smooth drinkablity. Overall it's a very fine Maibock, great taste, decent ABV and it looks good in a Pint glass.

06-12-2013 21:50:16 | More by Bear1964
Cavanaghty

Maine

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Reddish brown in color with a thin off white head.

Smell: Malts, hops and maybe some floral scents.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Medium bodied and smooth. Taste of malts, hops similar to the tadte of brown ale.

Overall: Ok brew, but not my first choice and probably will not buy again.

06-08-2013 19:38:28 | More by Cavanaghty
qQTYLENOLQq

3.1/5  rDev -21.5%

I am a huge fan of Rogue. I am fairly well versed with their beers; Dead Guy Ale is sort of their run-of-the-mill standard brew.

A. Dead Guy Ale has a nice copper hue, but it is somewhat cloudy. Pour is standard, average head.

S. Smell is similar to other bocks; vaguely European, very malty. Hops are subdued. Notes of raisins. Can smell alcohol coming through.

T. Initially refreshing and crisp, main flavors are powerful malts, a fruity and earthy middle, and an underwhelming hop finish. Somewhat watered down compared to other Rogue brews. Not very complex.

M. Carbonation is refreshing, but is quickly overpowered by the malts. Sweet malty aftertaste.

O. I've never been impressed with Dead Guy Ale. It tastes like they took a great Barley Wine and watered it down, which is especially infuriating considering the rest of Rogue's offerings. Definitely decent overall, but probably my least favorite from Rogue. This is really just a standard malty bock, nothing very interesting.

06-06-2013 02:46:57 | More by qQTYLENOLQq
jdhowe

3.56/5  rDev -9.9%

12oz bottle, no evident bottling or best-by date.

A: Pours a clear deep reddish amber color, 1 finger of fluffy off-white head from a vigorous pour quickly dissipates to a mottled film. Looks like a very nice beer.

S: Sweet and malty up front, also a little roasty. Lots of malt. Some sweet fruit, almost like strawberry, alongside some earthy and spicy hop character. Reminds me at first of a strawberry pastry, which is a unique image that is tough to get out of my head.

T: Everything from the nose is there, including the strawberry. This thing has a huge malt body, a sweet middle, and a bitter hop finish with a little beet of a sugary sweetness persisting. Lots of fruity flavors in this beverage. Almost a little too sweet. The amount of malt (and sugar?) in this isn't what I expected. Flavors come across almost a little artificial.

M: Coats the mouth with its sweetness. Nicely carbonated, mostly smooth. Coating mouthfeel with sweetness toes a very thin line on being cloying.

O: My experiences with Rogue as a brewery have been fairly limited (Maple Bacon Ale and nothing else that has been particularly memorable), but I made a point of hunting this out after friends had recommended it as their favorite of Rogue's offerings. It's not a bad beer, and certainly is something I'd take over most common bar offerings, but I don't know that I'd pick this up over many of the other options I have in the craft aisle. This beer isn't bad, but I can already tell that the sweetness of this one is going to wear on me by the end of the bottle and I don't know that I'd sign up to enjoy this one again.

06-02-2013 06:00:42 | More by jdhowe
Bosoxfan20

Missouri

3.66/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Snagged a random bottle at the local store. Don't know much about this one, so it will be a surprise for me. Also my first Rogue.

A- Pours a copper color with a 1 finger light tan head. Average retention leads to soapy lacing. Seems to be slightly hazy for the style, but I don't claim to be an expert on Mailbocks.

S- Malty as can be. Lots of Euro style malts. Not much hop presence. Musky and damp aroma, but not like that of a Belgium style. Different. Tough to put a finger on. Slightly toasted notes make there way to the nose as well.

T- Malts and toasted flavors throughout. Munich malts to be exact. Slight grain comes through. Nice sweetness surprisingly makes its way. Touch of hop bitterness in the finish. Solid balance here. I like the direction we are headed.

M- Very nice feel. Mid body and drinkable. Slightly undercarbonated maybe, but not far off. Covers the palate. Again, a step in the right direction.

O- Well done for the style. The nose had me a little skeptical, but rebounded nicely with the flavor and feel. I'm not in the mood for this style often, but when I am, I will certainly consider this one.

06-01-2013 01:34:53 | More by Bosoxfan20
CMUbrew

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

On-tap at Hunter's Ale House

A: Orange-amber color with a chill haze. White head starts off extremely thick and creamy looking. Lacing starts from the get go.

S: Smells very malt forward with an addition of spicy and earthy hops and yeasty notes.

T: Biscuity and bready malts dominate, lending an overall sweetness. Light clove-like spiciness, yeasty flavors, banana, pepper, apples.

M: Smooth, slightly crisp, and a little drying. Carbonation is fairly active.

O: I have no idea what the hell a Maibock is supposed to be, and frankly I still don't know. This beer has all kinds of stuff going on, which is not a bad thing. I would say I enjoyed it.

05-31-2013 00:55:40 | More by CMUbrew