Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
1.6/5  rDev -59.5%

After drinking this beer, Miller Lite tastes like a Guinness. This is by far one of the worst tasting beers that I have had. It is almost like someone took a barrel full of hops and mixed it with a glass of sugar water. This beer is one of the most distastful things that you could do with water, sugar, and hops. Please stop supporting their efforts in wasting our fresh water supply.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

A- Pours a pale reddish-orange color. The minimal amount of head died quickly to a thin whisp. Lots of bubbly carbonation.

S- Smells of bitter citrus with hints of raisins.

T- Tastes like it smells. Bitter citrus, hints of raisins, and an initial caramel flavor that dies off quickly to bitterness.

M- Carbonation bounces off my teeth and tongue. Feels a lot lighter in my mouth than I anticipated.

D- Definitely a sipper for me. I can drink one or two in a sitting, but that is the max. I will definitely drink again.

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

Appearance: Nice inch of head with a slightly cloudy orange color. Not much to speak of lacing wise.

Smell: Some citrus and overall hop smell with some sweet malt armoa.

Taste: A lot of malt in this. Some caramel sweetness with a tiny hint of hops. A little bit of citrus in there, but the sweetness really makes it hard to find. A little bit of ester

Mouthfeel: It feels a little watery, but the malt does give it some body. So it's closer to medium bodied beer. The carbonation is pretty good, but I think this would be a smoother and overall better beer with just a little less carbonation.

Drinakbility: I have worked my way through a six pack over the course of a couple weeks and overall I have not really come to love this beer. It seems way too expensive for the quality of beer. For some reason it is also a sipper, which is a surprise at its 6.5% alcohol.

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

A-Hazy orange-light amber, with not too much head.

S- Smell is of caramel, banana, and raisins, with some hops in the background.

T- Initial carmel sweetness gives way to a mild bitterness.

M- Medium body, nice moderate amount of carbonation. A little bit sticky after sips.

D- Very drinkable due to the 6.5% abv, ample carbonation, and crisp ever-so-slightly bitter finish

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Had this with the guys at a tasting. Served from a 12 oz bottle.

A: Slight haze from the outset which clears up somewhat after letting it rest. Nice color somewhere between golden and amber. Little head that dissipates quickly.

S: I'm really picking up that banana/ester quality in this. The hops are very mild in the nose and maybe a little ripe citrus on the back end.

M: I really like the soft, almost fluffy carbonation in this. I was expecting something a bit more sticky, but this finishes pretty clean on the palate.

T: I'm getting some slight hop bitterness which is balanced pretty nicely by the accompanying bit of citrus and pine. The bitterness and some hidden malt characteristics linger at the end.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer. I'm not sure I'd want to session it, but maybe I was expecting it to deliver something that it didn't. I wouldn't turn it down, but I wouldn't reach for it first either.

3.1/5  rDev -21.5%

This is my first beer from Rogue and I've heard alot of good things.

A: Nice golden honey appearance

S: I smell a little banana

T: Carbonated honeysuckle flavor.

M: A fair bit of carbonation and a medium-bodied mouthfeel.

D: Something about this drink kept the drinkability low. I don't know what it was and I wish I did, but I don't. Also, it is way too expensive.

Overall this would probably appeal to some people, but wasn't my cup of tea.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a fairly opaque light amber, with a bit of orange. A little less than a finger of head. Decent lacing.

S: The smell is basically what'd you'd expect for a well balanced beer. Nothing really stands out, nothing's really lacking.

T: The taste is much like the smell. It's very nice, fairly balanced, but with a nice touch of sweetness.

M: Smooth carbonation, medium to full bodied feel.

D: Could session this one easily. Very easy to drink.

This is a great beer that doesn't try too hard. No huge dominant flavors, but everything is done well.

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Pours dark gold to light amber, small head that fades quick to a lacing on top, with medium carbonation.

S - Sweet caramel malt, not much hop, kind of boring.

T - Solid bitterness without much hop flavor. Very nice light malt flavors with some sweetness from caramel malt. Slight citrus bitterness on the finish with some fresh baked bread flavors.

M - Thick and malty, creamy feel.

D - Easy drink, well balance, session beer.

This is a good beer, not daring, nothing really stands out other than it is made well. Good beer, but nothing really stands out. What makes it good an appealing to many also keeps it just a good beer, nothing wrong with a good beer though.

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

A- Light amber orange pour with a thin white foam that leaves some lacing.

S- Sweet citrus and malt with a bit of honey and caramel. Not much hop in the nose.

T- Bitter citrus and alcohol bite with large sweet malt foundation that serves to balance this beer pretty well. The ester flavors are heavy. There is a yeasty bread-like taste as well with some spice and a bit of hops.

M- There is an admirable balance of bitter and sweet. Has a medium/light body with a moderate amount of carbonation.

D- An ok brew that wasn't what I was expecting, but pretty good none the less.

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a Unibroue flute. There is no freshness date on the bottle. This beer pours a beautiful, opaque, deep gold color that is a very, very pretty color for a beer. While the BJCP guidelines for a Maibock claim that "lagering should provide good clarity", Rogue's version is much cloudier. The head is a light khaki or ivory color that has a nice, fluffy appearance and eventually fades to a thick ring around the top of the beer, and it does its best to leave concentric circles around the sides of the glass.

Smell: The nose of this beer is very hefty, and the strongest aromas are a sweet, toasted maltiness that is matched well by a tropical fruitiness that is somewhat akin to mango. There are also hints of caramel, well toasted bread, and citrus zest.

Taste: When I first saw this bottle I wondered why the skeleton on the front is so jolly considering his less-than-lively state, but now I realize that it's because he has a tall mug of this beer. While I can admit that this is my first Maibock and I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to taste like, I can still cast "supposed to" into the wind and say that this is one fine beer. Dead Guy is a very well balanced beer, with strong flavors of sweet malt and spicy hops battling it out on my tongue. As in the nose of this beer these two flavors are by far the most prominent, but there are also notes of caramel, pine hops, and toasted bread. There is a dry, spicy, and lingering hoppy finish, but surprisingly I'm finding that the more I drink this the more the malt comes to the forefront in the end.

Mouthfeel: This beer has a thick, rich, medium-full body that is well supplemented by moderate carbonation. There isn't much of a warming effect from the alcohol, but hey, it's only 6.5% ABV.

Drinkability: It had been so long since I had tasted this beer, and I had forgotten how light and easy-drinking this "Maibock-style-Ale" is. The BJCP guidelines for Maibock tell me this style is "specifically associated with springtime and the month of May", and after drinking this light, refreshing beer I can see why. Easily sessionable, this beer is a delight to drink.

Notes: I've had Rogue Dead Guy numerous times before this review, but as the month of April begins to close I thought what better a time to review a Maibock than a beautiful spring day? This is one wonderfully light, crisp, and refreshing beer, and it suits the warmer months well. Rogue Dead Guy is a finely crafted brew, and while it won't knock your socks off with intense flavor (which it isn't supposed to do - sometimes it's nice to have something light) it will definitely make you appreciate the craftsmanship of the Rogue brewers and the gentle pleasantness of this beer.

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

A: An amber/mahogany straight from the tap. About a one finger head with minimal lacing.
S: Citrus is the first thing that comes to mind, but I'm getting malt as well. Some pine is there too.
T: It's sweet up front, the malts are doing their job. Blends nicely into some mild bitterness because of the hops. The grapefruit taste is apparent on the back of the tongue, right before the finish.
M: Nothing special. It hangs around a little, minimal bite. Crisp.
D: I enjoy this more than IPA's or Pale Ales. It gives me the best of both worlds.

This is a nice beer to have if you are not a Hop Head, but want to know what all the fuss is about. It gives you a malty sweetness to balance a bitterness you may not be used to.

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a hazy, murky deep orange/red honey color. Aroma of sweet malts/caramel. Moderate head mostly diminishing with nice lacing throughout. Definite yeast presence. Roasted straw and light molasses. Slightly sweet taste and light bitter finish, lasting a good measure. Medium-bodied and well balanced beer. Definite malty, caramel flavor. Not very hoppy to me, even in finish. Good malted beer - Cheers!

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a hazy orange/amber with a foamy white head.

The smell is hoppy, a peppery, floral flavor..

The taste is again quite hoppy with some nice malty background. Some great floral feel.

Mouthfeel is a little strong, but is quite evenly manageable. Has a nice drinkable feel as well.

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance - Beautiful golden amber hue with decent head.

Smell - Nothing overpowering or unique. Definite hops aroma with a hint of sweetness.

Taste - Tasted great. Full bodied goodness.

Mouthfeel - Good balance between hops bitterness and alcohol.

Drinkability - Went down easy.

Overall - I'll be adding more to the collection...

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

This was the beer that started it all for me. The one that turned me into a BA. Haven't had it in a while and then got it last night.
A - Pours a coppery amber, a brooding amber though. One finger white head. This is a decent looking beer. Very pleasant to look at.
S - I think that it was served a bit too cold for my liking and I didn't get a great bit from the nose. I remember there being more when I drank this a lot. I get a bit of caramel sweetness, some dark fruit, bit of blueberry and blackberry.
T - Has a very solid malt backbone, biscuity and sweet. There is a nice hop presence balancing out the malt. Getting a nice fruit flavor here, bit of strawberry/blackberry mostly? Nice citric after taste. Very Nice.
M - Has a smooth texture, almost like marbles. Leaves mouth refreshed, no stickiness.
D - Very drinkable. You can kick these around all day.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

The best thing about this beer is the marketing for it. The name sucks you in. As for the beer, the appearance is a caramel brown. It smells strong of malt. I tasted it out of the bottle and was bitter so I poured it into an Ayinger glass and it relieved much of the bitterness. If you like very malty tasting beer this is probably right up you alley.

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: high carbonation, 1/4 inch head, clear orange brown

Smell:brown sugar, malt, and caramel, small hops

Taste: bready toasty malt, caramel, brown sugar, pine

Mouthfeel: smooth, sweet, with a hard hoppy finish

Drinkability: Not the most complex for the style, but a delicious brew. I could have a six and be very happy. I will search for this again.

4.7/5  rDev +19%

OK it has been a while since I had this so I will be writing from memory.

A: Mid to Mid-dark Amber, not much head.

S: smelled like a bock but with noticeable alcohol notes. a bit sweeter than I expected.

T: OH WOW! This is almost the tastiest beer I have ever drank. Had one because the tapper looked interesting, after it was gone I had to go get another because I drank it way too fast. Not as good in the bottle. Drink from the tap if you can.

M: the beer just hugs the tongue and leaves just enough remembrance to leave you wanting more.

D: Absolutely spectacular. One of my all time favorite beers.

Get this on tap if you can. The bottle does not do it justice. I will bypass all other beers if I see this.

3.95/5  rDev 0%

12 oz bottle poured into a Pilsner glass.

A - The Dead Guy poured a beautiful amber with a billowing, two finger, off-white head. The head clung for a while before descending to a loose, spotty head with sticky lacing and the ring.

S - A fresh smell of sweet malts and a subtle hop aroma.

T - Starts malty sweet and finishes with an array of hop flavors. Not very complex but great none-the-less.

M - Crisp and medium bodied with a good level of carbonation. Smooth yet bubbly.

D - The Dead Guy could be put on a pedistal for other session beers to look up to.

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

Had at Marathon Grill in Philly. Poured an amber brown with thin white head with almost no retention. Smelled malty and sweet with some hop notes and also vague hints of molasses and lemon. Taste was fairly light, much lighter than I expected, watery like seltzer at first then moved onto that molasses/lemon taste probably form the yeast (I once used a particular yeast in some homebrew that gave a similar taste). Sweet at first then sharp with a faint hoppy finish. Very wet feel. Not a bad beer by any stretch, just nothing too special.

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Not overly potent. Mild warm, sweet spices. Musky tropical fruit and light floral notes. Gosh it was hard to discern.

T: The perfect contrast of bitter hops drifting along a blanket of smoothness. Sugary sweetness flirts on the tip and edges of the tongue. Strong, in your face flavor. The sweetness radiates a fruitiness throughout the beginning and mid until it slowly warms into caramel, which dissipates leaving just that lingering, back-of-the-mouth hoppy bitterness.

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Had this on-tap at the Hibernian in Cary, NC.

A - Reddish orange, slightly hazy. Small quarter inch of white head disappeared fairly quickly. Minimal lacing.

S - Sweet fruit (apples, pears, tropical hints) with small doses of caramel. Moderate floral hops.

T - Lots of fruitiness early on fairly in line with nose. Tropical fruits seem most evident, some combination of pineapples and pears. Fruity sweetness delves into modest caramel flavor. Late palate floral flavors come through before leading into a lingering bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with moderate to high carbonation. A little too much carbonation.

D - Strangely, something about this beer makes it difficult to drink more than one of. Lots of sweetness and bitterness make this brew rather rich. Certainly an improvement on-tap however.

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge, sassy light caramel/tan, which settles down early on. It leaves spiderwebs of lacing down the glass. Deep, cloudy almost opaque; orange in color.

The nose is simple. Malty, grainy and sweet, not much else to say.

It tastes bitter and tangy. The is a nice caramel influence, some iced tea, a little bit of floral notes from the hops. The hops become more assertive as it warms. Half way through, there is a definite floral/earthy taste. Yummy. This beer is relatively subdued, yet delicious with a chewy, velvety mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. I could drink a few of these in one sitting. Very drinkable.

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

A - Pours a golden-orange with little white head. Slightly hazy.

S - Sweet and malty, with a little bit of pine hop smell.

T - Very good balance. Tastes bready and a little bit sweet from the malt, followed by a good bit of bitter citrus and pine from the hops.

M/D - Mouthfeel and drinkability were great. Very creamy and smooth. i could go for a few of these.

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

Unfortunatly, I do not feel very inspired for reviewing this one. Not that it's not a good beer, but it's not just the right time. Since it is my last one and had to drive FAR to get it, I'll write some lines.

Nose is really malty at first. Orange zest and prunes come up.
In mouth, you can taste caramel and orange zest. Not relly sweet. Little bitterness here. Once it warms up a little bit, honey flavor tends to develop. Carbonation is medium.

Another good product of Rogue. Next in line: Double dead Guy Ale...

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales