Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

A-Poured a slightly hazy, frosted copper-amber and formed a rich, frothy beige head that sank into a cap and left nice, small, detailed lacing on the edges of the glass.

S-Spice, citrus, candied fruit, American hops, and a hint of fresh dirt w/minerals. Caramel malts also shine through.

T-The soft toasted malts dominate the attack, and cede their place somewhat to the fruit-spice around mid-palate, and the finish brings out the hops and the smooth, earthy traits. A few moments later, the spice reemerges. All the flavors are soft, with none dominating, and each in a state of contained equilibrium. At any point, one flavor is more apparent than the rest, but you can taste them all to some degree. --Had to come back to edit. Now I'm picking up fresh veggies on the back of my tongue.

M-Carbonation is pretty steady, and I'm drinking this one pretty cold, and it's good. The body is on the lower end of medium, and goes well with the flavors and carbonation. This stuff is pretty good.

D-I really enjoyed this one. I will definitely buy this one again, and so far, it's my favorite from this brewery. Props to Inebrio for recommending this one.

BoitSansSoif, Feb 10, 2008

A: Light amber in color; minimal to average head produced when poured into a pint glass from the bottle. Head faded fast but left good lacing throughout.

S: Nothing particularly special. If you swirl well you can get a hint of hops.

T: An interesting mix of hops and malts. I don't know that I would call them balanced, but definitely equal in strength. Great sweet caramel malt flavors with nice citrus hops and minimal lingering hop flavor.

M&D: On the light side of 'medium' bodied but full flavored. Even with all the flavors going on this still goes down easy and intensely enjoyable.

I tried hard to be objective reviewing this ale. I waited a long time to review it because it is one of my personal favorites. I can't put my finger on it but man, this is good! I like the maltiness but I also like that bitter citrus finish and this one has them both without being too refined. Perhaps that's what I like about it - it's just a little rough around the edges and I like it. One of my favorite standbys after a long day at work.

SIRIUS2, Feb 08, 2008
4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

I like this one quite a bit. Much better than their American Amber. Aroma is mainly malty with some light grapefruit, apricot, grapes, and yeast. Pours a medium cloudy amber with a small off-white head that goes away. Flavor is good, sweet throughout with a nice alcoholic bite in the finish. Quite nice. I would by this again and serve to dinner guests, well worth getting a sixxer if you can find one.

BMan1113VR, Feb 07, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +12.7%

The beer pours a golden orangish amber color. A creamy head quickly dissolves into a ring around the glass.
The beer has a spicy fruit smell with some definite malts coming through.
Medium bodied mouthfeel, creamy and slightly high carbonation.
An immediate carmel and hops taste up front. This beer tastes just as it smells, the slight sweet, fruitiness or citrus flavors come through and the malty feel/taste bursts with each sip.
Overall, this is a really good beer. You can definitely compare this to a German-bock-style beer, though it has a far bigger malt flavor and smell than anything I've had in this style. I like to smell my beer before each sip, and each time I smell this beer, I think of how grains smell in the mashing stage of brewing - filling the room with that awesome roasting grain smell. This beer is very drinkable. Tastes good, goes down smooth.

robg2251, Feb 07, 2008

Poured into a pint glass from a bomber.

A - Poured an orange amber color, with a two finger head of actively foamy bubbles. Lacing was excellent on this one, nice and sticky.

S - Fruity with hints of lemon and orange. Also a bready malty scent.

T - Sweet and spicy with the hops, nice balance. Warm and inviting you to take another sip.

M - Medium bodied, with zesty carbonation. Very refreshing.

D - This is a very drinkable brew. I threw back 3 of them in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl! G-MEN Baby!!

shabbtastic, Feb 04, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz picked up at the Coop last week for about $1.40.. reviewed tonight while doing some work for tomorrow.

2" very lite tan head above a crystal clear amber brew.

Hoppy for the first 2-3 minutes but subsides to a toasty maltiness with a slight tinge of fruitiness and bigger than average spicy hop aroma.

Flavor mirrors the aroma, but the toasted notes are much more pronounced.. a little earth helps balance with a touch of spicy hop flavor.. the body is a solid medium with good carbonation to the last sip.

Dead Guy is a brew that I pass on nearly every time I see it at the store... "Is it a maibock? is it not?" It is probably a very clean malt dominant brew with a slight cold conditioning... I probably should pick it up more often, but it is sorta in my "Fat Tire" category.. I used to drink it all the time 6-7 years ago and got burnt out on it... overall, a beer that deserves more respect than I give it.

JohnGalt1, Feb 04, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

An interesting ale indeed. Picked up a single a while ago and couldn't remember how it tastes so I got another one. Due to the lack of a chilled glass I am having this one strait out of the bottle, but even still its a wonderful tasting beer. Maybe a touch overcarbonated, and I agree with another reviewer about this beer, its a nice ale, but nothing that reaches out and tells you its a Rouge Ale.

pirate252, Feb 04, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -17.7%

I first sampled this beer about twelve years ago when I was young and stupid and drank purely for quantity; needless to say I hated it. I'm interested to see how it does now that I have something resembling taste (at least I like to think I do).

The Dead Guy pours a lively copper with a strong orange hue at the bottom. An impressive head lasts about three minutes to capping but does leave thick, cream colored lacing. Nose reflects some faint fruits and medium malts but nothing really stands out.

A sharp hoppiness at the front of the mouth is accompanied by a less than desireable metal flavor that continues through the finish. Malt is more in the backround than I would expect and fruitiness is almost non-existant. Mouthfeel is above average but also undone by the metal.

Without the unfortunate metallic flavors this would be a quite delicious quencher and fairly sessionable. As it is I probably won't go out of way for this one any time soon.

daliandragon, Feb 03, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

The visuals are there; the nose isn't.
Especially for a bock bier. I'd love more of a nose. No matter how much I inhaled, I thought my smeller detected a beer.

Flavor was not especially noteable-- yes it was congenial. There was plenty of nice ale character- noted bitterness although I couldn't point out the exact hops used. Finish was clean with a smooth glide to the horizon but something was lacking.

mouthfeel was nothing to complain about.

Drinkability- I could guzzle a six-pack on the spot. The only thing I'm grousing about is that the over-all flavor could use a signature-- a wart on the miller's nose, a something that says "ROGUE BREWERY"..

Still, if you want to enjoy an ale- here's one to reach for.

gueuzeonhigh, Feb 02, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

12 oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance was a murky brownish orange with no real head and no lacing. Smell took a while to get used to, probably because I am unaccustomed to this particular style of beer. The smell is mainly of caramel and fruit, though I detected some veggies in there. "Organic" is a word that comes to mind, though not in the sense that it is used today. It just smells of things found in nature. Taste is very interesting. I haven't had anything quite like it before. Pretty well balanced. Malts, fruits, some vegetables, and yeast. Medium bodied and very carbonated. I've never had anything quite like this before. I must try this and other examples of the style again sometime to get a better grasp of how this one holds up.

atrus138, Jan 30, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Malone's bar and grille in Harrisburg, PA.

A- A bright rusty colored brown with little head when poured.

S-it smells a little sweet with a hint of aroma hops that tickles the nose.

T- dry yet juicy with flavor that pale ale should taste like. Not too hoppy but just enough to give a great flavor.

M- burst of hops hits the palate and goes down smoothly.

D-first time i have had the beer and i want another. I would like to have a sixer of this for the weekend.

Dodo2step, Jan 28, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured into standard shaker pint glass. Color was a slightly cloudy reddish brown that has a 2 finger thick head. The head disappaited very quickly but clinged to the side and left a ring around the top. Aroma smelled hoppy with small hints of lemon and spice. Tasted clean, slightly bitter, and also oakey. Mouthfeel was good. Coated well, slightly carbonated. Went down well, and was easy to drink. Alcohol wasn't too strong.

mountdew1, Jan 28, 2008

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear orange amber with a small white head that fades. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma is slightly malty sweet with some nice light fruity tones. Mild herbal hop smell.

Slightly sweet upfront, a nice caramel malt taste leads the charge. Nice bready and fruity tones with a mild hop bitterness. Some light herbal and floral hop flavors ride to the finish. Sligtly sweet finish, rathher clean.

Medium body, medium carbonation.

Always a good go-to beer when nothing else seems to satisfy. I can't belive I hadn't reviewed this sooner...

MaltyGoodness, Jan 26, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Bottle of 2004 Dead Guy Ale, cellared in dark conditions for past 4 years.
Poured into imperial pint glass

A 3 finger tan creamy head that has fantastic retention, good lacing, copper caramel body.

S sweet bready malts, bock-like, with some grapefruity citrus notes. There is a spice there too, cinnamon, nutmeg????

T Lots of sweet bready malts in the start, changing to a light floral grapefruit taste in the finish, nutty in the aftertaste, wtih hints of coffee throughout. This is like Deuchars IPA meets EKU 28!

M medium carbonation, creamy, syrupy even

D Enjoyed this immensely. Superb complex array of flavours without them clashing horribly together.

I read the reviews for Dead Guy Ale before cracking it open, and obviously i am assuming here, i dont think it has lost anything, maybe a bit of carbonation? but nothing in flavour, however i wonder what the hops are like in this fresh?

As we all know an english IPA is far different from its American Counterpart. Less hop/citrussy profile and this is what i felt this was comparitive too.

seanyfo, Jan 26, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +22.3%

Pours a beautiful orange/amber with a good head of off white tightly laced foam. Smells of soft fruits. Outstanding mouthful of small bubbles. Taste is very malty and hoppy at the same time, if thats possible. One of my all time favorites.
Great with my local BBQ's pulled pork sandwich and slaw.

Nibbley, Jan 26, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass

Poured a slightly dark orange hue with a white foamy head that dissipated quickly

The nose was not strong but had a subtle appealing fruity odor

Heavy carbonation was a little too much for my taste

It had a very good balance of hop and malt with an almost cookie taste at the back of the tongue, very appealing.

The drinkability was good. I enjoyed the beer very much and didn't have a hard time knocking a few back.

Overall I found the balance to be very appealing. Although, the head was poor and the lacing was almost non-existent. With a stronger nose and lighter carbonation it would improve greatly.

lostdesperato, Jan 25, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bottle a nice warm golden-orange with a huge, frothy off-white head.

The aroma greets the nose with bread and butter along a light citrus twang.

The taste has a good malt presence and is slightly sweet.

Moderate mouthfeel, slick to the tongue, and with average carbonation.

This one is easy to drink and more enjoyable than expected.

Monkeyknife, Jan 24, 2008

Picked up this bottle, labeled as "Newport Anniversary Ale" at my local Albertsons. I've had Dead guy before and realized i've never reviewed it. It's a staple of Rogue's line, and some may choose to use the term Flagship Ale. So, here goes....

Pours a golden honey color, nice white head settles fairly quickly. You can definetly smell the malts, and some of the saaz hops at first. Taste is very sweet and malty, with just enough hops to keep it in check. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, very sticky on the finish. A very well balanced, solid offering. Definetly worth a try on tap if you can find it, but the bottle is solid.

BigJTrucker, Jan 24, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

bought this beer in a six pack at safeway, good selection here.

great color darker at the top than the bottom, cool complexity of colors.

great taste bitter like aa IPA but stronger like a winter warmer, good mix between the too.

I liked this one a lot, but it seems that it would be better on tap.

Hollenbeck2, Jan 24, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Bottle.

Orange pour with a small white head.

Smells very sweet and malty, almost like a doppelbock but not as rich.

Sweet malty taste that goes down smooth as silk. Wasn't sure that I was going to like this one but it really is pretty good.

Not sure I could drink more than one or two at a time due to the sweetness, but a very good tasting beer.

Tilley4, Jan 23, 2008

This is a good, drinkable beer. I like it much better with the yeast mixed in ala hefe-weizen. It seems to lack a bit with out the yeast for my taste. Malty enough to be sweet and hoppy enough to keep it in check. Good everyday beer.
A great beer for the beer impaired to be introduced to the good things in life.

AlesALot, Jan 23, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

This is another gift given to me by my friend Heather Bidwell.

Appearance - Crisp orange pour into a hazy pale brownish-orange body. The head is just a thin layer and ranges from medium to light brown in color.

Smell - From the bottle the aroma is malt and a subtle wave of citrus.

Taste - The flavor is not what I had expected it to be. It tastes like an English pale ale with more malt. It has a firm long lasting hop flavor that really sets a positive tone. The flavor is solid.

Mouthfeel - The texture is a bit coarse after beginning somewhat smooth.

~ I would really love a six pack of these bones after a hard day of mountain biking. Two for me, two for my riding partner, and one for each of us on the ride home. Oops, did I say that? Maybe that's how it got its name?

cdkrenz, Jan 23, 2008
3.6/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a golden orange color, very small head.

continuing with rogue's reputation for over-hopping their beers, this mailbock is rather hoppy (at least for the style), with citrus and piney aromas.

Great smooth taste, very crisp, a little fruity-ness, carbonation it on point, and the amount of bitterness is balanced for this style.

It is very drinkable, and balanced, my only concern is the price- it was a 9.99 six pack at my local store. Personally, i would rather go for a DFH 90min 4pk for the same price- and im sure you could find something in the same style range for a lesser price. Nonetheless, i would try it again.

Ineedabeerhere, Jan 21, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured a caramel amber color, with not much head which dissipated quickly and decent lacing.

Smell is a great mix of citrus, hops, and malt. Not too strong though, very subtle.

The taste on the other hand is not very subtle, at first sip the hops hit the front of your toungue then the sides, but goes away very quickly. Then a quick flash of maltiness, with alot of full grain flavour. Then back to the maltiness to round out the experience.

The mouth feel is nice, somewhat smooth but has a little lingering film, but does not have that oily sort of feel to it. I find that the maltier the beer typically you get more of this.

Drinkability wise, I can have two or three of these and be fine. I like a beer thats not too heavy by volume, this way I can have 6 or so if I feel like it, not 2 and be put to bed.

Great brew - Try the Russian Imperial Stout, it will blow your mind.

currysage1, Jan 21, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

A: A nice amber/copper color with little head with some lacing.

S: A slight hoppy aroma but it's very faint.

T: There's a slight hint of citrus but the flavor is mostly a combination of hops and malts - it's a very solid combination.

M: Very smooth with enough carbonation to make for a good finish.

D: A highly drinkable session beer.

gwong, Jan 20, 2008