Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,743 | Reviews: 2,343
4.06/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a frosty pint glass.

A -- Pours an amber orange color with two fingers of head. Foam is pretty thick and leaves nice lacing on the glass

S -- There was very little smell that I could pick up. It smelled crisp and clean, but not much aroma of malt or anything else.

T -- Very smooth and well balanced. Nicely hopped and overall quite delicious taste. Alcohol taste is there, but not overwhelming.

M -- Not overly carbonated, good light mouth feel.

D -- Overall a very drinkable beer. I could easily drink the entire six pack in a sitting. One of my favorite beers from Rogue brewery(except double dead guy, which is even tastier)

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

One of the earlier available microbrews ten or so years ago, this was one that was surprisingly interesting since it was a german style lager rather than the typical ales that you found from most micros. Great color and aroma, very malt forward with a great flavor. Much better on tap than in bottles.

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance: Golden brown with white foam that slowly dissolved the more I drank.

Smell: Smelled Fresh, Don't Know what more I can say

Taste: Outstanding, had a little kick to it.

Mouthfeel: Aside from the little after taste, the feel was normal. Not alot of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very Drinkable

Overall: An outstanding American beer I can be proud to drink anywhere.

A- Golden brown and clear with a white head that slowly dissipates.

S- Malty

T- Very malty. Not entirely sure how to describe this other than a bock. Sweet, but not overly sweet. Well-balanced with a hops presence that is lacking in many lesser bocks.

M- Syrupy.

D- Overall pretty good. I'm glad that Rogue is so easy to find because you know your always getting a solid beer.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

A- Pours a honey orange with 2 fingers of milky white head. Nice webed lacing left clinging to the pint glass.

S- Nice and hoppy with a sweet smell of caramel and honey. There's a bready quality here and a touch of fruitiness.

T- The fruitiness is more noticeable in the taste, mingles nicely with the toasted and caramel malts. Finish is slightly hoppy.

M- Medium body and low carbonation make for a mighty smooth drink.

D- Easy to throw a 6'er of these down, i'm glad Rogue bottles these in the 12oz bottles. They're starting to become a regular staple in my fridge.

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Hazy, honey amber with short-lived 3/4" head and some mild lacing

S: Somewhat sweet, malty scent with slightly fruity undertones (citrus?)

T: Malty up front with the same, mild citrus hop finish picked up in the scent. Nice balance, very smooth.

M: Nice, smooth; feels nice on the palate

D: Very drinkable beer that I have, and will drink again.

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a clear copper color with a moderate tan head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is sweet and fruity with some hops and a bit of honey. Malty flavor that is nicely balanced with citrus and floral hops. Mouthfeel is just right.. medium bodied and quite smooth. This is very drinkable and a really good beer.

4.03/5  rDev +2%

A - Nice amber, almost a caramel color with a dense cloudiness held to the light. Head came up and back down quickly but lingered along the sides of the glass

S - Definitely fruit and maybe some butterscotch.

T - Sweet with strong fruit up front and malts building after. Don't taste a lot of alcohol here.

M - Lightly carbonated without a whole lot of body. I had it right out of the cooler and it might have done well with an hour or so to warm up.

D - Definitely a do over. I could throw down a few after dinner as a dessert and not be completely immobilized.

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Bottle, home. This beer is somewhere between tawny and mahogany in color. The head is off-white and leaves some nice lacing. The aroma is nice - sweet, subtle caramel malt with some light, fruity hops. The flavor is a tad sweet and finishes with a mildly sour lager/malt flavor, but it's well-balanced and goes down easy. The mouthfeel has always seemed a tad odd to me. I get a funny graininess at first. Dead Guy won't bowl you over with complexity, but it's a solid beer and it's easy to see why it has converted many a macro drinker.

4.89/5  rDev +23.8%

this beer is one that ranks up thier at the top of my list...one of my all time favorite beer,,i can arcoss the beer by sure happenstance...i was in the outer banks and was at a huge beer store and could not decide what to get,i saw the bottle out of the coner of my eye,,why not,,,once i got back to the room and opened it i was hooked right away,,it was one of the best,,,thats all i can say,,,,TRY IT

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Color an orange-amber - thick and cloudy. Pours a weak head with minimal lacing.

Aroma rather weak as well, I detect malt with a sweet citrus background, but that's about it.

Flavor a wonderful hop/fruity/malt and pine clash. Perfectly balanced! Back pallette is bombarded with a bitter hop that fades a bit as malt and fruit - perhaps apple - collide, but lingers in aftertaste. Hint of pine is a nice touch that disappears almost immediately. The coupled fruit and bitter hop taste is really unusual yet quite appealing!

Mouthfeel is perfect for the beer's taste. Wonderful viscocity, of strong texture, but not thick.

Drinkibility is excellent. Alcohol volume good for style and goes down quickly leaving one wanting.

I've had this beer before but I fogot how good it is. This is a fine piece of work from Rogue and I'm already looking forward to my next.

3.83/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured amber/orange color that was hazy, with white 2 finger head. aroma/taste, smells really good, i have never had a maibock / helles bock, so I dont really know what im looking for in aroma or flavor, but it does smell good, cant really place any of the aromas or flavors though. It does taste nice though, its pretty light, with some light fruity flavors, maybe apple. Mouthfeel is really nice and full medium.

Overall, this is a solid well balanced beer, that you could easily drink several of in a sitting, great for a ball game.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 12oz mug.

A: Poured smooth but looked a bit on the thinner side. Very small head, less than one inch, did not stay around very long. Light amber color, almost opaque.

S: Sweet, inviting.

T: Not too strong but has a decent, unique distinguishing taste. Has a small bite to it afterwards.

M: Very subtle carbonation. I would like to call this a thin beer but it's slightly thicker and has a presence on your tongue.

D: I could drink about two, maybe three of these before I would want to switch onto something else.

4.01/5  rDev +1.5%

Very malty aroma hit me as soon as I popped the top on this bad boy. An off white 2 finger head with big bubbles diminishes quickly leaving a perfect rind on the wall of the glass. The smell is like walking through the doors of a brewery. The wonderful malty smell hits you fallowed by a light hops. The body color is simply printed on the bottle "Deep honey in color" not any room to argue that one they're Dead on. Has a great full mouth feel, nice and chewy with tastes of wheat and honey... oh and don't forget a great balance of malts and hops. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer.

1 Pt. 6Fl. oz. bottle poured in to mug. Served 45-50 F.
A: Reddish brown. Many CO2 trails from bottom of mug. White frothy head pours thick and retains thin. Leaves behind spotty lacing.
S: Toasted malts, nuts, and sweet spices.
T: Light toasted malts, followed by figs, and apricot. Finishes with a smooth, bitter hop linger.
M: Light on tongue. Very dry feeling.
D: Very smooth beer, refreshing, and nothing is too overwhelming.

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Cloudy orange color with a 2-finger head, and great retention. I could only see a bit of Co2 through this beer, and lacing was minimal, wasn't great. Good look overall.

S - Dominantly sugary aroma, big candied ginger & date upfront, raisin and mild orange zests as well. Caramel/maple syrup notes as well, with mild spicy hop notes hiding behind the big candied/sugary aroma. Very inviting to me.

T - Tasted almost exactly like it smelled, extremely sugary/sweet malt like flavors. I got the candied ginger/date thing upfront & throughout, along with a butternut, cashew note towards the finish. Mild but definitely noticeable, lightly burnt hop bitterness on the finish which lingered nicely, as it warmed I got a bit of candied banana in there as well. Wonderfully sweet flavors going on!

M - The feel was creamy & chewy, smooth & extremely syrupy, and around full bodied with some lite Co2 bite. I really like the feel of this beer, it complimented the flavor profile perfectly!

D - I really enjoyed this beer, almost everything about it was very inviting to me, I could only enjoy about 2 pints of this though before it just became way to sweet. To me this was like an Imperial Amber, this is the first of the style for me though, and I loved it! This beer would go great with BBQ, and I can't wait to have it again! Highly recommended. Cheers!

NOTE - Mine may have been aged a year or more due to the fact that I bought it at a liquor store that doesn't move allot of it's craft beer quickly, and is known for stocking old beer to still make a profit.

3.87/5  rDev -2%

12 oz bottle into a mug.

Last time I reviewed this on-tap I thought I had a bad pour. Let's see if my suspicions are correct and the bottled version is any better.

Appearance: Medium amber color with decent clarity. Creamy, persistent white head.

Smell: Moderate hop aroma, lightly toasted. Almost reminds me of a Märzen. Hops have a bit of spiciness to them.

Flavor: Very hoppy up front with a bit of toastiness to them. Some spices, too. Fairly clean taste. Moderately dry finish with hop bitterness lingering in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth and clean, and the hop bitterness isn't harsh lends this beer to having a few in one sitting.

Definitely an improvement over my on-tap review. Looks like I did indeed have a bad pour and this beer is redeemed.

4.03/5  rDev +2%

Hazy reddish amber pour with a two finger white head.

Smell is of grains and fruits, and some hops.

The taste is sweet up front and finishes with some grapefruity hops.

Nice mouthfeel, medium bodied and with a high level of carbonation.

It's pretty easy to toss a few of these back. Would like a bit more flavor but a damn fine brew.

Have had this on bottle and draft, hands down the draft is where its at.

4.7/5  rDev +19%

For overall drinkability, I can't think of anything that beats this beer. It is the only beer I can think of that will appeal to the snobiest of beer-snobs, as well as the casual beer drinker.

It is so well balanced and crafted that there are layers of flavor, but nothing too overpowering.

I will say - I am currently drinking this on tap (from my kegerator). There is a huge difference in this beer when it is on tap or in a growler, compared to a 12 oz. bottle.

The bottles tend to be over carbonated and less balanced. If your store gives you the choice, pick up the Jug (Growler) instead of a six-pack and enjoy this beer the way it was meant to be enjoyed.

At $200 per keg - I probably won't be buying too many more kegs, but I will always buy the jug!

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very deep gold color that is semi-transparent and has a nice head.

Smell: Has a sweet smell with what seems to be hints of citrus. There's not much hop noticeable in the aroma.

Taste: Well, I may have missed it in the aroma, but I noticed the hop flavor all the way through the beer. With that said, it's still crisp and surprisingly refreshing. It's quite good.

Mouthfeel: Has a fair body. Fuller than water but far from rich and creamy. It does it's job.

Drinkability: I thought this beer was quite good. It's not going to make my top ten or anything, but certainly worth taking note of.

3.95/5  rDev 0%

A: Head is kind of thin but there is a lot of it and has good retention. Color is of an IPA but less opaque.

S: Sweet bready notes with a touch of fruit and a bit of hops. Also very sugary.

T: Quite a bit hoppy up front with a lasting bitterness. I have had this plenty enough times to know once it warms all the sticky sweet notes kick in so I will go ahead and bump it up.

M: Always felt like carbonation could be toned down a tad as once it sites it mellows out real nice.

D: I have drank more bombers of this stuff than I can remember. Very smooth and easy drinking.

Review is a bit short as I have had this beer many, many, many times. This is the beer that started it all for me. One sip and I was hooked. Over the course of a year this would be all that would drink or even look at til one day I became more curious and took home a SNPA.

People can complain about Rogues prices all they want to but I know I never have to worry about not being able to get my hands on this and it is an incredible jumping off point to craft beers. As a matter of fact, I must say this should probably be THE beer for converting macro drinkers. Thanks a bunch Rogue!

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

This is a favorite of mine, so disclaimer:: I may be biased. Poured out of the bottle into a chilled glass, which has brought out some different qualities than I'm used to, so I figure I ought to put down a review.

A: Clear, dark honey colored brew. Light foamy head that clings nicely to the edges of the glass. Bubbly--good carbonation.
S: Sweet malt and caramel tones.
T: Slightly toasted malts, slightly sweet, slightly bitter hops. Subdued but a distinct and fully developed flavor.
M: Medium bodied, good carbonation. I agree with some other reviews, it does have a syrupy texture, but perhaps its the caramel flavor that gives that impression.

3.67/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured 650ml Bottle - Pours honey colored with small white head. Aroma is sweet fruity hops along with some hints of caramel. Flavor is bigtime fruity and flowery hops. It's bitter and hoppy but it does go down smooth. Well balanced and quite nice and I would drink it again.

3.89/5  rDev -1.5%

A transparent orange in color. Thin off-white head forms then disappears yet leaves thin layers of lacing behind after each sip.

The smell is the most interesting part of the experience. Citrus and pine aromas from the hops come through and blend well with a maple sweetness.

Taste is somewhat spicy with an underlying hop bitterness and balanced with caramel and maple malt flavor. The beer finishes off with a sour aftertaste reminiscent of cough syrup, not one of its better attributes.

Medium to full-bodied and a fairly low level of carbonation. Bordering on a syrupy texture which sticks around long after you finish.

Overall, a descent brew. A lot of interesting flavors going on here. The only thing that turned me off was the cough syrup aftertaste. Worth a try, nonetheless.

4.07/5  rDev +3%

Reviewed from my notes....had this a few days ago.

12 oz. pour into my pint glass with minimal head that leaves no lacing. Nice dark amber color.

Very pleasant aroma of citrus & pine.

Moderate malt flavor with a lingering hop bitterness, resulting in a great balance.

Medium body with medium carbonation.

Very drinkable, goes down easily. I enjoyed this and will probably keep some on hand.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales