Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
Wasatch

Utah

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Well, this is my first Rogue and first Maibock. Pours a cloudy copper color with nice carbonation and alot of lacing. Scents of hops, citrus, spices. This brew has a very nice and unique taste of sweet/bitter malt. There's a medium body. The lacing just does not want to disappear. The brew is very drinkable at 6.5%, highly recommended.

10-26-2005 00:02:28 | More by Wasatch
wingnutter

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

This is some good beer. A little lighter flavor than I expected, but I really didnt know what to expect. Citrusy, hoppy, spicy, malty.

Had a grassy, citrusy, hoppy smell. Goes down a little too easy considering the almost 7% ABV. Proceed with caution.

I will revisit this one in the VERY near future again.

10-24-2005 00:25:33 | More by wingnutter
mitchfor3

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%

Enjoyed on tap with dinner.

Appearance: A hazy copper color with a medium-thin head that fades to a sticky lace which persists well.

Aroma: Fruity smell with hint of hops. Smells rather appetizing.

Taste is quite simply delicious. On tap this brew has a complexity to it that I never detected the several times that I have enjoyed it out of the bottle. A new spiciness was clearly present and the taste and mouthfeel progressed smoothly from inital sweetness, then a slight bitterness that left a great aftertaste. The carbonation was just right and contributed to the smoothness.

The first time I ever sampled this brew I wasn't particularly impressed, but it has grown on me since and I really enjoyed it on tap. Definitely recommended.

10-23-2005 11:26:26 | More by mitchfor3
DogFood11

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Paint me a picture of this poured into a pilsener glass and its man hole material. Lively off white head that chunks its way down the glass giving way eventually to a thin sheeted cover. Copper with reddish hue and well supported by medium carbonation.

Sweet fruits, soft malts and slightly candied smells.

This brew is decisively balanced. Had all the smells wrapped in a package and then cleansed by a solid quick hop hit. Caramel comes through followed by the big bodied malt flavors mixed with some dark fruits, sizzled in by a stingy carbonation and mellowed out back to some toasted malts that linger and blend nicely with the subtle hop finish.

Damn fine brew. Another winner from Rogue. Mouthfeel of most rogue beers to me seem so rich and creamy but not overbearing. Above average in this style and one I've gone back to again and again. You can never go back to the well too many times with this.

10-22-2005 19:05:33 | More by DogFood11
unknownlamer

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Caveat Emptor: I haven't had a Maibock except for this one (which I've tried a few times). This has a rather nice smell. I can't quite tell the individual components of it, but it seems to be dominated by a sweet malty smell with a bit of hops. It tastes good. It starts of fairly sweet and then finishes with a taste that I can't quite put my finger on. It's pleasant though. The carbonation is decent, but nothing amazing. It goes down pretty easy too, but the aftertaste can get a bit strong after a while so I don't see myself drinking more than two at a time.

10-18-2005 06:13:52 | More by unknownlamer
danielharper

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

I really like this beer -- it's not my all-time favorite, but it is a reliable go-to whenever I need something bracingly good to break me out of the mild and mediocre.

This one has a reddish-brown body with a thin brown-white head that disappears immediately. Being a fan of a good long-lasting head (heh), I take off a few points for that, but then again, it's a decent beer to look at.

The aroma is very inviting, with a malty caramel presence up-front with mild hops that is quite pleasant. When I first tasted this beer I found the hop presence overwhelming to the nose, but over time I began to enjoy it and now I find the hoppiness minimal. The sweetness really stands out in the nose here.

The taste is nicely balanced, with the caramel sweetness mixed with nice hoppiness. In my notes I listed this beer as "flavorful, arousing, and highly pleasant". I'm pretty sure that I meant "arousing" in a perfectly clean sense, but I'm listing it just in case anyone feels it might have aphrodisiacal properties.

Medium body with medium carbonation, and the hops at the end give this one a nice pleasant aftertaste. Again, when first tasting this brew I found the aftertaste overwhelming, but I have quickly grown to love it.

Overall drinkability solid. I find this to be a near-perfect dinner beer -- those new to the beer might want to give it a few tries, as the overall quality of the beer can sneak up on you when you're not looking.

10-17-2005 00:25:21 | More by danielharper
GClarkage

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

10/16/05- Purchased in Jackson Hole, WY.

Presentation- 22oz bottle with no dating imprinted on the bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearnace- Darker amber colored pour. 3/4 inch head with above average lace.

Smell- Mid range semi sweet caramel malt scents as well as a small bitter hop presence.

Taste- Weird. Almost reminescent of Three Philosophers, yet without the 10% abv. Has a strange, but nice chocolate raspberry flavor. Caramel malts with a pretty heavy dark chocolate fruit taste. The hops come out at the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation.

Drinkability- Couldn't even find word one about this beer. Don't even know if it's a Pale Ale or not. I just know it was pretty damn good. Different and quenching.

10-16-2005 23:35:32 | More by GClarkage
fromage

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

I must have had a bad bottle of this a year ago which turned me off for a while. A nice beer for that transition from hot to cold (or vice versa, as intended for the style). I don't have a ton of experience with bocks, but this seemed like a pretty good take on the style, having recently had Einbecker's various versions.

Poured into a pilsener glass: a nice copper / honey hue, initially a good deal of bubbles sticking to the sides, with a decent head of slightly large bubbles which quickly faded, leaving no trace behind.

The smell is surprisingly strong, until you remember that this one has about 40 IBUs--not much of the malt comes through except a bit of pears, apricots, peaches, and caramel. No toffee notes. 6 kinds of hops here--i sure can't distinguish them. Basically smells grassy to me, maybe a bit of citrus. I ought to buy some hops and practice smelling them!

Quite a refreshing, bitter impact that lingers until the back of the throat. The caramel comes through a bit more, which nicely balances the hop punch. Finish is dry, not cloying. No trace of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium, a good deal of carbonation. Not too tacky.

Quite drinkable--perhaps a bad thing due to it's 6.5 abv! Easily a session beer and could go with many foods.

A nicely balanced, refreshing beer--bracing enough for 50 degree nights. I have no idea why it's Dead Guy ALE.

10-15-2005 16:47:37 | More by fromage
sopor

Oregon

3.23/5  rDev -18.2%

I didn't know the style of this beer when reviewed, so that was not taken into consideration. Knowing now it is a maibock, it does a pretty good job of fitting the bill.

Darkish honey with plentiful but not overly rambunctious off-white head that subsides as a thin film. Smells of sweet caramel malts and a hint of hop.

Sweet honey and caramel with perhaps a hint of of munich malt. Delicate hop bitterness is perhaps a bit underbalanced. Some tangy notes after malts. Pleasant moderately thick body with very light carbonation.

Ok, but not all that great, I won't go out of my way for it, but I'll take it if offered.

10-13-2005 23:00:10 | More by sopor
lordbrad1

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

This is my first review...so take that into account.

When pouring into a pint glass the head is found to be a bit lacking. However it looks great once it's there. A nice dark coppery color. It has a nice mild spicy smell to it. Taste wise I've often likend it to "opium in a bottle". It has a mild hoppy bite, and tastes absolutely wonderful. I could drink it all day, and never get tired of it. I've often sold people on it because it's similar (somewhat) to Arrogant Bastard.

Not for the feint of heart, or the novice beer drinker.

10-11-2005 20:58:10 | More by lordbrad1
davidchollar

Washington

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

this is a totally biased review - dead guy is one of my favorites and rogue never lets me down

looks good. crimson orange, brief head.

smells tasty, full, spicy and inviting.

tastes scrumptious. everything i want out of a beer. awesome.
excellent. this is highly drinkable but also high abv ! caution.

09-30-2005 16:57:52 | More by davidchollar
bigdeuce

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

It's hard to find a really good maibock. Dead Guy Ale is exceptional. Very full mouthfeel with the perfect balance of hops and malts. And lots of both. This beer doesn't mess around. This is the best maibock I've tasted since Wurzberger's Maibock and I don't even know if that is produced anymore. The only drawback to the beer is it's $11 a six pack. Steep price for an American beer.

09-30-2005 00:34:44 | More by bigdeuce
xoqx

Washington

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: beautiful deep amber and cloudy with a 1.5 finger creamy head that somewhat quickly died down to a sparsely large-bubbled creamy disk of foam

Smell: The nose here has citrus and rich smelling malts, and I swear some hint of banana, but that’s very slight and only after swirling to expose to the air.

Taste: fat malts fill the mouth on this one with a very delayed hop finish ending moderately bitterly. Tastes nicely balanced with plenty of malt and plenty of hops. Neither one collides with the other. Long after the hops have died… like two minutes after a drink, there is a very nice malt aftertaste left over. Caramelly.

Mouthfeel: chewy and full, very pleasant.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Balanced.

09-28-2005 20:40:49 | More by xoqx
BurnsTau

Alabama

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Had this on tap at On-Tap in Birmingham.

Pours dark brown with a decent amount of head which soon settles. Leaves a great lacing on the glass.

The first thing noticable about the taste is the sweetness of the malts, but the hops balance very nicely. Noticable alchohol taste, with a great meduim mouthfeel. This is a great beer which is even better on tap.

09-28-2005 01:49:54 | More by BurnsTau
macpapi

Maryland

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Have had Dead Guy Ale several times, probably due to the unique bottle. In the past, however, I've never paid it the close attention that it deserves. Also it's price in this part of the country has steered me away. Miss those days out west when I could get a sixer for $5.50. Here it's almost twice as much. Anyways:

D.G.A. pours a reddish-amber color with a pillowy half inch white head. Slow but rising bubbles are noteable in the glass. Lacing is decent.

It has a sweet and buttery aroma to go along with an impressively strong malt presence. Some hops are accounted for, but not terribly noticeable upon first whiff.

The taste is sharp and relatively bitter. Malt and caramel hit the tongue impressively. Fruit (do I detect plum?) soon follows. The hops are well balanced, laced within a fruity/sweet overall flavor. Alcohol is noticeable in the throat, adding a bit of a stinging sensation--but taking nothing away from an overall enjoyable experience.

In the mouth, Dead Guy is full and moderately carbonated. There is not a terribly bitter aftertaste, but the caramel and alcohol presences linger nicely.

Overall, this is a very good and filling beer. Good flavor, impressive appearance and very well balanced overall. Too bad it costs too damn much to make it a regular.

09-25-2005 00:53:00 | More by macpapi
jmz62565

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

A great looking two finger head with a dark coppery look.When I picture an ale in my mind I picture this color.Too many ales are to light in my opinion.A full spiced ale, but not an overwhelming taste,just right.This is a great ale from on of the best brewers in America.

09-24-2005 20:18:23 | More by jmz62565
DrJay

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Slightly hazy, maple-caramel colour toped by a short, dense, cream head that showed a bit of lacing. Grainy, caramel maltiness in the aroma, with fruity undercurrants. Hops are restrained, but there is a bit of grassiness. Bitterness hits you right away, while the rest of the flavours seem to complement this character as they appear and fade away. Toasted malt shows up next, followed by a bit of plum and light spicy, herbal hops. Caramel and pleasant alcohol appear at the end and carry through the finish, at which point the bitterness finally starts to fade. Soft carbonation is well integrated with the texture, which starts to dry out in the middle, but this fades in the finish. Fully bodied without being sticky. Lingering alcohol warmth at the finish as well. All around, this is a really enjoyable beer with just enough complexity to keep me coming back.

09-24-2005 18:41:19 | More by DrJay
Beaver13

Colorado

3.55/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Pours a glowing orange with a thin white head that quickly goes to a bubbly collar that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is caramel malts and some grassy hops and a little fig.

The flavor is caramel/toffee malts and a little sweet fruitiness. Bitterness is barely perceptible, but helps balance the sweetness and leads to a dry finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth.

Overall, a well-made beer, but it doesn't do a lot for me.

09-20-2005 04:57:16 | More by Beaver13
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

Now this is a nice ale. Strange they call it a Maibock. The Skeleton guy on the bottle looks cool.

Pours a deep copper color with a wispy egshell head and minimal lace. The aroma is a beautifully clean and fresh maltiness. Hops take second chair in the nose, they are herbal and citrusy. This beer has a complex malt structure thats well balanced with PacNW hops. I taste christmas cake, tangerines, cinamon raison bread, raspberry jam and tea. Theres a pleasant hop bitterness that lingers in the very long finish. The mouthfeel is thick and mouthcoating. Alcohol flavors are complimentary and never distracting.

Wow! I was expecting a good beer and this exceeded my expectations. It has all the characteristics of a kick ass session beer, maybe a little high ABV though.

09-16-2005 01:56:50 | More by CAMRAhardliner
jaluria

Connecticut

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Appearance - Pours an organe-color with off-white head and little lacing. Slight carbonation.
Smell - Strong hop presence with very subtle fruit undertones.
Taste - Smooth without any bitterness or residual stickiness. Not overpowering in anyway. What appears like a lack of complexity is actually a well-balanced hop/malt profile.
Mouthfeel - A bit on the dry end; mostly residual carbonation and slight bitterness.
Drinkability - Because of it's mild taste and subtle character, it is easy to drink.

09-15-2005 17:06:07 | More by jaluria
pootz

Ontario (Canada)

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%

Funny I never got round to reviewing this ale after all the times I’ve had it on tap but this is the first time I had it in a bomber.

Pours deep amber with a great rocky cap. Aroma is unique and a signature of this hybrid beer. It has the sweet cookie dough aromas of a bock with the spicey-fruity notes of the ale yeast and just a hint of orange peel and herbs from the hop mix....great smelling beer/ale.

Starts with a rush of sweet cake-like malts that are swiftly subdued by citrusy-herbal hopping. Fruity tastes are in the background as the finish comes up fast. The sweet malt drops away and a nice German hop herbal tone departs in the finish....bready-sweet after taste and a slow warming form the alcohol (which, surprisingly, is not hidden very well). Mouth feel was on the aqueous side for an ale with a medium body... and I don’t recall the drafts of this I had at the Black Swan revealing the alcohol so easily..

....all in all a unique brew which bridges the style gap between maibock and ale ( if anyone asked for this). Perhaps I feel let down aster all the hype touting this as a Grman style ( and I'm a mad German bock and lager hound). Frankly I’d rather drink mellow lagered German Maibock but if there is none available this ale will fill the bill.

09-13-2005 22:11:42 | More by pootz
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

3.35/5  rDev -15.2%

This is a tough review. It's a very good beer, but I'm not sure how well it fits within this style. The website even says 'Dead Guy is a German-style Maibock made with Rogue's proprietary "PacMan" ale yeast.'

I guess there's a few "Octoberfest" beers that are made with Ale yeast as well.

I don't have a HUGE problem with this... but they should be fermented at a cooler temperature, so you don't get the fruity flavours!

The fruityness isn't like ANY german beer... an Altbier might be a stretch. If it wasn't so carbonated, it'd be closer to an ESB.

A: Copper-bronze, with plenty of fluffy white head. Good head retention, nice lacing. Really couldn't be better.

S: The hops are a little more apparant than the malt.

T: The 40 IBU of hops really hits you. More Perle than Saaz flavour. I wondered if they used cascade hops, because I taste a little bit of that passionfruit flavour. It's a bock... it shouldn't have this fruity flavour. There's a REALLY good malty base, but the balance is tilted towards the hops.

M: Moderate body, moderate carbonation.

D: It is quite drinkable. Lots of good flavour.

It's a wonderful beer... it's just not a maibock!

09-10-2005 21:52:19 | More by Derek
tjthresh

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev 0%

There’s a fire in my mug!!! All sorts of red, yellow, and orange hues. One of the most beautiful beers I’ve ever seen.
Scents of caramel, toffee, toast, and some floral hops. Man this tastes really good. Honey rolling over my tongue. Medium bitterness. Rather full bodied, and medium carb. I’m going to score this a bit lower and the overall because its not a maibock if its made with ale yeast. Its probably a bit too dark also, but damn it is good.

08-31-2005 12:45:30 | More by tjthresh
quasimoto

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

This poured orange/copper with very little head. But I think that is only because I poured it too softly. The aromas were of slight hops up front, buit were quickly covered by the sweet caramel malts. The taste was of citrusy caramel malts, and a little bit of grape nuts. The bitterness of the hops made for a dry finish and the low carbination made for a smooth mouthfeel. The drinkability of this is that it should be enjoyed by everybody.

08-29-2005 16:46:40 | More by quasimoto
apfactor

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

650ml Bottle. Light brown glow to it. No head present.
Malty aroma with just a hint of hops.Slight pineapple smell to it.

A lot less hoppy then I was expecting. The hops give way to the malt. Almost a warm nutty after taste. Very well balanced ale. Comforting.

Very smooth finish. A great "session" beer. Also a good beer to recommend to someone just getting into mirco's.

08-21-2005 22:44:10 | More by apfactor