Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
4.27/5  rDev +8.1%

A - Nice amber/honey color. Creamy colored head, about one finger. Decent lacing

S - Good smell, lots of malts and some fruit hops smell to balance.

T - A very balanced beer, nice level of malts and hops. Nothing really overpowering here, very good.

M - Nice body, not very heavy but not to light.

D - Very drinkable, great session beer.

Good beer, it was the special that night so I decided to give it a try and I don't regret it. Probably reach for this again sometime.

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Dead Guy is the first Rogue beer I ever drank and it still one of my standbys. Red in color, 1 finger off white head, some lacing, smells of spicy hops, tastes fairly hoppy but not like a IPA, Thin to medium bodied fairly drinkable little too strong for a session beer but I have drank my fair share in a sitting.

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

12 oz. bottle to a pilsner glass.

Pours a clear orangey gold color with a one finger white head. Nice lacing. Scents are faint. Mainly bready malts and dark fruits, as the beer warms alcohol comes through as well.

The taste mirrors the smell mainly with the raisin-y fruitiness, with alcohol in the finish. Mouthfeel is creamy, but a bit thin/watery.

Note: This beer definitely benefits from the proper glassware. I enjoy Dead Guy much more from the pilsner over a standard pint.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance- Hazy amber colored body like clove honey, various bubble sizes in a cream-colored head

Smell- Sweet bready malts with caramel and light estery hops

Taste- More bready malts, slightly buttery and warming feeling as it goes down, excellent hop-bitterness that gives great balance, bitter finish that stays on the tongue and then reminds me of orange rind and wheat bread.

Mouthfeel- smooth, medium-bodied with good carbonation

An excellently balanced beer that I've had my share of, and will return to again and again. A great session beer.

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

Got this at Bert's Bierhuis in Utrecht.

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a medium thick 1 finger off white head. Medium carbonation evident. Color is pumpkin orange or amber and is partially cloudy. Head levels out to a thin film that stays only around the rim. No lacing. Beautiful color, but the rest is quite average.

SMELL: Sweet caramel malt and quite fruity, perhaps some mango or melon. Citrus like with a touch of vanilla in the back perhaps. Pretty nice really.

TASTE: Toasted malt and some sweet caramel malt together with some citrus fruit undertones. Mango shows up, accompanied by a touch of grapefruit, followed by some bread-like flavors and hop bitterness at the end. Bitter-sweet aftertaste is strong and long lasting, with a touch of bread in there too. Pretty decent.

PALATE: Medium-thick body with medium carbonation. Creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth at the front but ends with a bit of a scratch and bite at the back of the throat right at the end. A nice touch. Finishes somewhat dry on the palate.

OVERALL: Very enjoyable. A drinkable brew that's tasty and interesting. The ABV is a little high to be a session beer, but this is definitely one I could have a few of. Recommended.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Cloudy deep gold with a fluffy initial head. Fair retention & lacing.

Smells malty and fruity with light alcohol in the back.

Bready malt flavor is complemented by dark fruit (raisins) and honey. Earthy hops keep a nice balance. Slightly dry in the finish, but that gives way to a light sweetness that lingers.

Feel is very smooth and medium to full. Carbonation levels are perfect.

Overall a great, flavorful, balanced and drinkable beer that isn't too filling. I loved it.

4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

A perennial favorite. If you haven't yet tried this, you best get to the store and pick up a few.

A - Nice, rich brown. Very nice head, w/ lacing.

S - Very good. Malty, some hops influence. Definitely among this best in this regard.

T - Again, very good. Complex maltiness up front, topped off by a great hop finish.

M - About spot on.

D - Very drinkable.

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Rogue makes some good beer.. and their dead guy ale is no exception. I have been drinking this since the fall when I was introduced to it at a beer tasting party and it has not let me down since.

Dead guy pours with a lovely looking cloudy golden brown color and has an offwhite head that sticks around. There's some lacing down the sides of the glass as you drink (rather quickly). On the nose you'll find biscuit malts, flowers and honey.. it's pleasant but you might not know it was there unless you were looking for it. The taste however, is a standout. Rich caramel sweetness up front with just the right mouthfeel greets you at every sip. And the finish is dead on - a well balanced hop bite at the end clears away the sweetness and brings you back for more.

Drinkability ranks high.. you could easily session this.

3.91/5  rDev -1%

Poured a nice amber color. Had a very nice looking white head that stayed for a while. Good lookin beer.

Smells malty and of caramel with a little lager touch to it.

Taste is crisp and refreshing. Slightly malty with a little caramel taste. Very good.

Mouthfeel seems good but I think it could use a little more carbonation.

Overall a very sessionable beer that i would buy a sixer of to bring to a party or maybe even a case. Great brew...

3.64/5  rDev -7.8%

It was the definition of amber color when poured. It had a short white head. A little too short for me, but it might have been the bottle I got.

It smelled sweet like honey. It tasted sweet like honey as well and then led into a nice slight bitter aftertaste. It tasted smooth and very dry with a medium weight.

Went down well I'd certainly have another.

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours an orange amber color with a slight haze producing a one finger white head that retains nicely and leaves moderate lacing.

Initial aroma is malty with light citrus notes. Smells lightly sweet with subtle notes of spice.

Taste starts with caramel notes along with some bread and honey. About a quarter of the way through I began to detect notes that were a little more fruity and slightly grassy. Starts off fairly sweet but gradually becomes more bitter as you go along.

Medium body with a light to medium carbonation level. I could see drinking maybe 2 of these in a sitting but I didn't feel like I would want to drink this all night long. For some reason, I've never been blown away by Dead Guy like some people are but this is still pretty solid stuff. For my tastes, this isn't one of my favorites to drink by itself but it does seem to pair well with some spicy foods, so there's definitely certain occasions where this would be more drinkable for me.

4.12/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured a medium amber body with great lacing and a pure cloudy unfiltered appearance. On the nose it is tremendously pleasing with a great deal of malts and roasted grains with a sweet honey fruit scent backed by a serious balance of sweet and savory. The taste delivered what the smell promised. Very balanced with a great deal of malt and a sweet earthy molasses fruit. Well balanced through the finish even with the alcohol present on the palate with pleasant carbonation and a medium to full body. A great early spring (when it is still chilly out) or fall beer. Rogue continues to deliver...

3.94/5  rDev -0.3%

22oz bomber into 12oz mug

A = Once I opened it and saw thick, cloudy vapors pouring out I knew there were problems. Tough pour. Pleasant dark honey color.

S = Sweet malts and fruit. Rich and pleasing.

T = Perfectly malty. I don't usually like malty beers but the light carbonation and clean, well balanced finish addressed all my usual complaints.

M = Satisfying and thick, without the usual malt clinginess/stickiness.

D = This bomber never stood a chance.

No brewed on/drink by date. Not sure if it was a little old or just a little over carbonated.

I'm not huge into Rogue but they always seem to deliver the goods.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Got this at Magnolia in Lynchburg, Va

Appearance - Very nice clear rich amber color with sticky lacing and a quarter inch off white head.

Smell - Sweet and slightly hoppy

Taste - Kinda complex. Bright start. Sweet and bitter with a little more of the bitter coming through at the end along with alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel - Very good. Foamy and has good presence. It makes the gulp noise when I swallow :)

Drinkability - Great! This is a pleasure to drink and I will have to go back and get the rest of its brethren from the sixer from which this one came.

Makes me want to try others from this style and I will drink this again.

3.66/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Purchased a bottle at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.

A: Light amber hue. Brilliant clarity. A persistent creamy white head crowns this glowing gem. Sticky lacing.

S: Moderate malty aroma with toasted notes. Some peppery hop character. Quite nice. Clean and crisp.

T: Slightly sweet malt flavor. Some DMS. Nice pepper/spicy hops. Clean lager character.

MF: Medium body. Moderate carbonation. Nice alcohol warming.

D, notes: A fine tasting lager that is surely a good crossover beer.

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

Rogue has numerous great beers and I'll note that overall I'm a big fan of this brewery. Dead Guy pours a nice orange/amber color with a small white head. In a glass it is almost translucent and is not particularly dark.

It smells sweet with a mix of malt and maybe light citrus. It has overtones of yeast and alcohol. It almost smells as if its going to taste slightly bitter.

The initial taste is sweet with good bit of malt and an almost caramel or toffee flavor. It tastes kinda like candy! But not in a way that is unenjoyable or fruity. Underneath the sweetness there is a nice bite from the hops. The beer is also not too thick which is nice but at the same time has a nice subtle alcoholic warmth to it. Its a great beer to drink as winter comes to an end but is still a little chilly outside.

It is not too heavy so it can be drinkin often and it goes really well with pizza!

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

I've had Rogue's Dead Guy on a number of occasions. Each time I have it, it's better than the last. I assume it's because my palate is evolving. It's possible I'm nuts, but I'd like to think I'm holding it together pretty well. Anyway, on to the review of one of my favorite beers:

Appearance - Though I'm not an expert in color nomenclature, it appeared to be an attractive burnt orange. My pouring technique was a bit sloppy and heavy so a thick head formed and dissipated semi-quickly leaving a bit of lacing on the glass.

Aroma - I first detected a significant malty sweetness in concert with orange zest notes. Upon further investigation, I dug out a bit of spiciness and some raisin/prune smells.

Taste - Early in the taste, I got a good dose of what I think is caramel malt and piney bitterness. They seemed to be so well balanced that I had a hard time picking them out individually to put a name/quality to the really impressive taste I was getting. Swallowing revealed a bit of honey and as the beer warmed (maybe even past the ideal temp) the honey became more pronounced and helped reveal earthy. grassy, and bread-like flavors.

Mouthfeel - The beer had a medium body that I felt wasn't too syrupy (is that even a word?) for the taste but was possibly inching toward it. There wasn't a whole lot of carbonation and it felt soft in my mouth, which I quite liked. I do have to note that I agitated this beer quite a few times to try to reveal aromas I thought were there (and may be there that I'm just not finding) so I probably "swirled out" a fair bit of the carbonation.

Drinkability - The medium mouthfeel with a faintly oily finish made me salivate after each sip. I felt pained putting the beer down and picking the pen up knowing I'd have to wait a tick to imbibe again. I could probably drink four-ish of these, my usual limit for beer consumption. It might have too much sweetness to be an all-nighter, though. I'd recommend a switch to SNPA when this becomes too sweet; the American pale worked well after this Mai-ale for me on at least one occasion.

Overall, I really love this beer and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to my best friend, my most discerning beer buddy, or my boss.

Unfortunately, my scores might be a bit low because I'm "hedging my bets" to allow myself some wiggle room on future beer reviews. I can't just give this thing an easy "A" having only one other review under my BA belt, though I'd really like to.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance: This beer pours a beautiful, slightly cloudy, deep amber orange with a one finger thick pure white head.

Smell: This beer has aromas of toasted caramel and grainy malt. There is a pleasant fruity ester of pears or honeydew. The sweet malt aromas come across obviously, but do not overpower the more subtle elements in the nose.

Taste: This beer has a definite light fruit character meshed with a bready, malty, goodness. There is a sweet honeysuckle nectar character along with the flavors of fresh warm baked bread and subtle bitter cherry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: This beer has a light and pleasant mouthfeel with a low to medium low carbonation. It is amazingly easy on your palette and extremely refreshing.

Drinkability: I could kick back quite a few of these over the evening at a pub or while sitting on my porch during the summer. It has nice flavors, without being overpowering, and a light body that makes extremely easy to drink.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: I think this is a fantastic beer. It has a nice flavor and aroma profile that is complex enough yet not too over the top given the light, playful nature of the body. It definitely has more character than your traditional English styles, but is reminiscent of that same vain of easy drinking subtlety flavored beers. I think it would pair fantastically with typical pub grub like fish and chips or mutton stew. Or, it would pair fantastically with a six pack of it's buddies on a hot summer dark or while raking leaves in the fall.

3.67/5  rDev -7.1%

Enjoyed on-tap in a 16oz serving at the Mellow Mushroom in Winter Park, FL. Pours a dark copper color with a very thin off-white head that quickly disappears. The aroma is definitely on the malty side with hints of caramel and very little hops. The taste is very similar to the aroma with some toasted malts and caramel with a mild hop bitterness in the finish. Overall, Dead Guy is a solid beer but I was ready to move on to something else after my first pint. Worth a try.

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%

A = Poured a nice amber/copper color. Thin white head.

S = Wonderful aroma. Very buttery with honey and some fruit there.

T = Taste and smell didn't match. Didn't pick up as much sweetness as others have experienced here. Unremarkable up front, but bitter hoppiness and warm alcohol pick up the middle and ride through the end. Surprisingly noticeable alcohol given the fairly low ABV. Just not a whole lot going on here, but nothing terrible either.

M = Pretty good. Pretty light on the palate, not too much carbonation.

D = Fairly drinkable. Easy going down.

Unremarkable overall. One I would drink again if I come across it, but I'm not going out of my way.

3.56/5  rDev -9.9%

Dead Guy on tap at the Cock & Bull in Glendale.

Listed as a Maibock but labeled as an Ale... Interesting. Nice color, thin head. The smell was slightly sweet, nothing special.

The taste was good. VERY sweet. Raw honey with a slightly hoppy finish. Fairly balanced, tastes like a beer with 4.5% abv as opposed to over 6%.

I've had this in bottles and it never tasted this sweet. Very drinkable beer. I'll def revisit.

3.66/5  rDev -7.3%

16oz serving on tap

A- Dead guy is not all dead as a nice 1/2 inch off white head is seen on top of a copper slighty bronze brew with some nice lace designs.

S- Pretty standard with a malt forward nose with some slight caramel qualities. Maybe some hops in the back but not much. Some spice in the back as well.

T- Some piney hops are in the taste where they are not in smell but otherwise this deadguy was killed by malts most likely but in a humane way. Some spicy factors come with warming while a slight bitterness overall.

M- I have not had many maibocks but i would say this is evenly balanced. Both bitter & sweet with a creamy effect. Medium bodied with carb action.

D- A few pints for sure but not an all nighter as i would tire of it. Overall, this is quite drinkable. Not sure of the maibock style so all and all this is worth a shot.

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

I seem to enjoy what rogue has to put out there and Dead Guy falls into that category.
A-It pours a nice copper caramel color
S-You get a nice spicy,malty smell which isnt overly hoppy either.
T-A nice citrus flavor with a short bitter taste at the end.
M-Has a nice medium body to it with the flavors lingering around the mouth for awhile.
D-The sweet flavor may catch up to me after a couple but for the one i had it was quite enjoyable

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 220z bomber into a Duvel glass. Color was hazy orangey copper with high creamy foam and lacing.

Smell was a sweet & spice - malt, hops, and something else wafting off the top I couldnt quite place.

Taste is wonderful, the malt starts you off - there are hops throughout and they are spicier than I am used to - not overpowering, but enough to kick you around a bit and wake you up. At times a slightly sour taste comes through. Active carbonation in the mouth, and the taste holds up great.

22oz down I could go back for more - that is drinkability.

4.16/5  rDev +5.3%

A: A beautiful, golden butterscotch colour. Hazy

S: Floral, with some phenolic sweetness

T: A really nice hop punch! The bitterness lingers around a while and gives way to some orange/banana hints

M: Very smooth and light

D: This is my first Rogue in 5 years (I just returned back to Canada from Japan, where Rogue isn't available) and it did not disappoint. I'd like to keep a few of these in my fridge at all times as a stand-by beer.

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales