Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
tomParis

Compared to some of Rogue's other offerings, this beer doesnt' quite stand up. However, its still a very good beer, and I'm trying to be as objective as I can about it. I am reviewing this beer as if I don't know who made it.

Pours a dirty blond color, slightly copper-red-orange tint, with an average head that isn't very dense.

The smell is light and not all that complex. IMO, many of Rogue's offerings have very average smells, but are extremely tasty brews. This definately falls into that category.

The taste is very good. Well balanced, a little sweet, a little malty, and a a bit more hoppy. There is also a slight hint of a taste I can't put my finger on. The only other beer I've had with something like this taste is Arrogant Bastard. The taste in this is very similar, but much more subtle here.

The mouthfeel is good. Not chewy or light, average body. Smoother than I had expected.

Not a great session beer, but still good. Its not very filling. Certain subtle tastes in it would make hesitant to drink more than a few of these. They are good tastes, but I think I would get sick of them after a few of these.

08-19-2005 04:53:01 | More by tomParis
Naes

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

The appearance is a bit cloudy with a copper brown color and a small off white head.

Its aroma is dominated by hops, but remains sweet.

The flavor is hopy with hints of brown sugar, yet there is also a definite malt presence in the middle.

Mouth feel is medium bodied and mildly carbonated. Worth a try.

08-18-2005 01:45:21 | More by Naes
BEERchitect

Kentucky

This is a wonderful beer; I'm surprised I've never reviewed it. Drank once or twice per month at the local pizza pub. Pours a nice deep coper to auburn color; translucent; vibrantly carbonated and impressively headed and laced. Smells of sweet malts, dark fruits, spices and esters. Tastes about as sweet and dark as possible without getting into heavy roasted grains. Lots of barley, molassas, and brown sugar. Mild, smooth flavors of prunes, dates, raisons, and almonds. More highly hopped than most would expect; picking up fuity esters and spicy alcohol. Full rich body that remains creamy under the abundant carbonation. Finishes sweet and a bit malty. I've always considered this a dopplebock. No matter where you categorize it, it's a good beer.

08-15-2005 20:25:46 | More by BEERchitect
zjungleist

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a brownish honey color with a large bubbled off-white head. The smell is weak but non-offensive. Fairly basic, with rich malt smells, but just not much of them. The taste is slightly complex, sweet malts in front, followed by a strange fruit flavor, and finnished with slightly bitter hops. I'm not sure about the fruit, it seems almost peachy, but maybe darker. Mabye there is a real small amout of extract in it. Carbonation is decent, and the feel is not exactly heavy or oily, but not light either. This is a real middle or the road brew. Overall it's a real drinkable beer, but sorta hard to describe. It is my first maibock review, but this beer is just sorta hard to pin down. I would buy it again, I suppose.

08-14-2005 23:22:44 | More by zjungleist
KoG

Nevada

4.7/5  rDev +19%

I love it in the bottles and it's even better on tap.

Deep orange body with a frothy light tan head. Leaves good lace rings all the way down.

Smell is sweet malt some a somewhat nutty character abcked by some citric and flowery hop presence.

Very well balanced taste. The sweet malt melds with the hops and finishes with less bitterness than the bottled counterpart. Super easy to drink.

One of the best brews to grab on tap as far as I'm concerned.

08-14-2005 19:32:31 | More by KoG
aquatonex

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Came highly recommended from my girlfriend, so had high hopes. Was expecting something different, but still rather good.

Pours a dark honey color with a fat finger of creamy head that dissipates in several seconds, leaving a very light lacing. Pretty color. Smell is pretty strong, containing hefty malts (detecting a lot of caramel and coffee) along with solid hops and some alcohol. Taste follows suit with a strong but good balance of malts and hops. A lot of caramel and coffee flavors mixed with the bitterness of the hops. I can taste the alcohol, too, eh. I expected more smoothness from the mouthfeel, although some is present. Overall, I'd drink it again if I were in the mood for its features.

08-14-2005 14:41:57 | More by aquatonex
Caesar1pup

Georgia

3.33/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance: Cloudy amber brown color with barely any head at all.
Aroma: What smell? Honestly I could not detect any discernable aroma whatsoever. Perhaps it was a bad draught?
Taste: Much sweeter than I expected. Carmel malt that was very sweet.

Overall: This was an average offering. I am not a big fan of anything that is this sweet so I probably am not the best judge but needless to say, I will not return.

08-12-2005 18:49:43 | More by Caesar1pup
Illini5596

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An instant classic. Rogue really has a winner, and an all around great ale. Along with Anchor Steam, this is one of my tried and true stand bys. I've had it both on tap and in the bottle, and neither fails to please. A good full hearty ale which is well balanced and a pleasure to drink. Very little to say about this beer which is bad. Sometimes beers are brewed which are just damn near perfect, and this is one of them.

08-08-2005 18:40:18 | More by Illini5596
ReebShorts

Washington

4.03/5  rDev +2%

Very little head on the pour, and what little there was disapated rapidly. some nice lacing on the first glass, but when I poured a second serving into the same glass that was gone as well. Color was a reddish brown, and a nutty slightly yeasty aroma was evident on the pour. I thought this could have used a bit more carbonation, as after a couple of minutes it started to go down a bit watery.

I enjoyed the flavor, upon my first drink I sensed a burnt almond flavor, and a definate caramel sweetness to balance it out. Maybe a bit overdone on the caramel, but only slightly. There is a slight alcohol finish to this as well (i noticed this more on my second glass).

I have been to the Rogue brewery a couple of times (although it's been several years), and have always enjoyed sampling their offerings. I will say I'm confident I'd have ranked this higher had It been poured from a tap. Good beer.

08-08-2005 04:21:26 | More by ReebShorts
TinusTime

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Wow I would have thought I had reviewed this already as it was one of the first Rogue's I had tried. Must have slipped through the cracks.

Pours a deep amber with a nice off white head. Nice malty nose with a light nuttiness and caramel undertone. Taste is very nice with a soft rich maltiness. A good substitute for an Oktoberfest when they go out of season and you need a fix. Mouthfeel is good and medium bodied with average carbonation. Drinkability is good. Maybe a bit $$$ for an everyday fix, but if you have a malty Marzen/maibock jones this is an able substitute.

07-30-2005 18:09:44 | More by TinusTime
BitteBier

Indiana

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

An interesting orange-amber color with slight haze and an average amount of off-white head. Nose was pleasant but understated--sweet malts and a hint of hops. Those qualities carry over to the taste, which is nicely malted up front, fading to a bit of bitterness that lingers just about right. A smooth but not chewy mouthfeel helps make this an unexceptional but nicely drinkable beer.

07-23-2005 22:59:20 | More by BitteBier
HoorayBeer

Washington

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Had this at lunch the other day, was quite enjoyable.
It had a dark reb amber coloring to it. Good 1 inch head to it. Light malty smell to it, nothing special. Very refreshing first taste, hops jumped out right on the tongue, with a sweet caramel and roasted nuts taste in the aftertaste. Good overall balance between the malts and the caramels. It was a hot day, so this was pretty refreshing, even though it was a little darker than what I am used to drinking on a hot day. Good overall beer, may have enjoyed it a little more if it wasn't so hot.
Also, congrats to Rogue Ales Brewery on their Gold Medals.

07-21-2005 00:30:03 | More by HoorayBeer
thechaacster

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a hazy amber, with a cartoonishly huge creamy head. Is this normal? Should I be drinking it straight from the bottle or something? And I gave it a pretty wussy pour, too. This foam is going nowhere, but I can still rate the smell: sweet and inviting, malty, and some sort of fruit character that I can't put my finger on.

Okay, the head has dissipated enough that I have struck beer. Caramelly, toasty malt prevails. Medium hop bitterness comes through quickly, leaving a slightly astringent aftertaste. Super creamy mouthfeel and quite drinkable. Admittedly I know little about the Maibock style, but I found this to be a very well balanced and tasty ale that is definitely worth a try. I have to wonder about the excessive foaming, though.

07-20-2005 08:09:33 | More by thechaacster
KarlHungus

2.85/5  rDev -27.8%

Pours a dark bronze color with a small off-white head that left nice lacing through out the whole glass. Smell is of caramel, and very sweet. Mouthfeel is thick. Overall, this is unlike any other maibock/helles bock I've ever had. A beer that is classified as a helles "clear" bock shoudl at least be clear, not dark and cloudy like this beer. The mouthfeel was also too thick for it to be a good maibock. However, even if this brew wasn't intended to be a maibock by the brewer, I still didn't like it.

07-18-2005 16:05:51 | More by KarlHungus
battlekow

Wisconsin

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewing this, Sprecher Mai Bock, Capital Brewery Mai Bock, and Tyranena Fighting Finches Mai Bock simultaneously. This is the least attractive of the three, a cloudy, dull red-amber color with almost no lacing. Smells floral and faintly sweet. Initial taste is of sweet apples and bitter hops, with the bitterness lingering. The taste is too unbalanced, I think, in favor of the hops; it's fairly unpleasant to drink. Feels a little harsh in the mouth, as well. I'm not a fan of this one.

07-18-2005 03:48:15 | More by battlekow
Dithyramb

Maryland

3.55/5  rDev -10.1%

Enjoyed via 12oz bottle. No freshness dating
Poured a hazy caramel with ample carbonation and a thin, short lived head
Bready malts and alcohol on the nose
Taste gets extra points due to the alcohol bite, but loses points due to the almost empty hop profile. Bready chalky malts make the majority
Medium flavored, finishes sticky
Drinkable

07-14-2005 02:34:58 | More by Dithyramb
villainchiwwin

Maine

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

poured from 12 oz. bottle
deep reddish mahogany or dark amber honey colored with enough haze to render it opaque. creamy off-white head that left chunky bits of lacing stuck to the inside of the glass all the way to the bottom. light floral scent with malt wafting though and a faint tingle on the nose suggesting hops content. tasted caramel and nut flavors in the initial sweet malt impression - toasty. bitterness creeps in soon after adding bite to the malt before crushing it with a heavy hops burst mid-palate. strong finish that is noticably more hops than malt (despite the touted "balanced finish") and has great lingering power. felt smooth at first, then more medium-bodied and a bit chewier or oily. appropriate carbonation. very decent brew if you're in the mood for something less pale with plenty of hops.

07-06-2005 18:49:20 | More by villainchiwwin
PATECO

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

This is my first review so here goes. Got this at Whole Foods Market in South Florida. Saved it for this eavening to have while watching TV.

Poured a murky red amber, very little head no lacing. smelled very good but didn't look great. First taste was sharp with lots of spicy hops and alchohol. Carbonation was very nice considering the lack of head. This is a large bear so I drank it in two servings. very nice rich flavor sort of malty sweet but with a spicy bite.

Plenty of body, but not syrupy. It got smoother as I drank it. The second glass was better than the first.

Overall I really liked this beer , and would buy it again. It is not something to serve with light food, but would go nicely with lamb or beef, or maybe after dinner with a good cigar,

I Got another rogue to try tommorow, I hope it is as good as this was.

07-04-2005 02:27:22 | More by PATECO
JackTheRipper

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Had on tap previous, now for the bottle:
A: Golden amber color. No head/lacing/suds of any kind.

S: Better this time: Caramel, malts, heavier floral hoppy aroma. Very nice.

T: Hoppy bite grabs attention. Alcohol fruity taste underneath.

M: Looked flat, but has nice level of carbonation. Alcohol feels higher than stated ABV%, gives this a nice spiciness and helps carry the flavors and aromas.

D&N: I think I like this beer better in the bottle than on tap. Tasty and highly drinkable.

06-29-2005 21:17:05 | More by JackTheRipper
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

22oz bottle served in a mug.

Clear, Orange-copper in colour. 1/2 inch light beige head reduces to a thin layer.

Aroma is sweet and malty with undertones of fruit and hops.

Flavour is sweet malt and subtle fruit that quickly fades out as a hoppy-grapefruit flavour charges in after the swallow. The bitter grapefruit flavour then dims throughout the aftertaste which stays around for a good long time. About half way through the glass, the grapefruit bitter taste seems to mellow (due to temp? or palate?). It still agressively cuts off the sweet malt flavour, but the edge of it's blade seems less sharp than earlier in the glass.

Mouthfeel is full, thick and well rounded. It's nice to have a thick mouthfeel without it feeling syrupy. The subtle carbonation gives it a satiny smooth feel.

At the end of the bottle, the flavours are not as distinct as they were at the start. However, this actually makes the beer smoother and as a result more drinkable. I'm not sure if this is a result of the beer, my palate adjusting to the grapefruit hops or the temperature I started at compared to the temp at the end. Either way, the beer is smoother at the end, but the flavours are not as dramatic or bold. Basically, you're getting one good thing at the expense of another. Regardless, this is a very good offering from Rogue.

06-28-2005 02:00:47 | More by Noxious26
Kreuger

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle.

No noticeable date.

A: A beautiful, slightly hazy, deep red/amber color. With a generous 2 finger off-white head, that receded to a thin covering.

S: A very clean sweet smelling beer, with a slightly fruity floral hop aroma - almost like an IPA.

T: Sweet and a little fruity, well balanced by the hoppy bitterness. So far I am very impressed.

M: A bit oily, but very smooth. This brew goes down very easily.

D: This is an awesome beer. I tend more towards ales than lager, but this is fantastic. It has more character than the last Marzen I enjoyed, but not quite so much as some of the better IPA's. At $6.50 for a 6-pack, this beer will find a welcome home in my fridge any day of the week.

06-21-2005 03:14:48 | More by Kreuger
kpantz

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Executive Summary: Very nice, smooth product from Rogue...will be sure to grab this one again.

Appearance: Dark cloudy amber color, thin cream-colored head that disappears quickly.

Smell: Light, a bit hoppy. Slight fruitiness to it (can’t place the fruit).

Taste: Sweet at first, good malt action, and follows up with the hop bitterness as it heads back in the mouth.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with just enough carbonation to force you to swallow.

Drinkability: Could make for a fantastic session brew…goes down deceptively smoothly.

06-16-2005 19:57:35 | More by kpantz
packetknife

Idaho

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

Very malty, very malty. The nose was somewhat mellon-like or some fruit I can't remember when I was in Puerto Rico (Passion fruit?). The appearance either escapes me or was completely unremarkable, I might revise that in the near future as I have another bottle. The taste was a great thick malty flavor with some burnt toast and an excellent creamy consistency. You got the impression you were drinking fresh baked sweet bread in a sense. I had to clean my pallete afterward but almost regretted doing so as the feel and taste weren't anything to complain about.

06-15-2005 01:39:53 | More by packetknife
Sigmund

Norway

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 fl. oz. bottle, trade with maeib. Pours very foamy and fizzy, with a decent lingering head. Deep amber colour, hazy. Sweet yeasty aroma with elements of oak, molasses, butter and hayloft. Flavour has some molasses sweetness, butter, butterscotch, some spices and decent hops, but lacks a fresh and spritzy "bite". Too much butter elements, I guess. Still a beer well above average, but I’m not ecstatic.

06-13-2005 22:27:34 | More by Sigmund
NiceGuyMike

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

Cloudy Amber color. Pours think with a pillowy head that doesn't stick around long. Little lacing.

Smells of strong malts and caramels with some floral hops.

Tastes of strong caramel malts. Finishes with a bit of bitterness and some alcohol. Strong alcohol makes this not the most drinkable beer, but good.

This is a nice beer. A bit more hoppy than a double bock which is nice. I'm not a terrible fan of malty sweet beers. I think years ago I made some chili using this with good results. I will have to try it again.

06-11-2005 22:40:07 | More by NiceGuyMike