Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
RugbyBeerRepeat

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

Where I live, this costs $48 a case. It’s worth it. With an exceptionally rich taste but light mouthfeel, this is one of my favorite beers. The taste is an even blend of bitter fruit, smoke, and hops. It is sweet but earthy. Heavy carbonation adds to its bite. A versatile four season beer that can go along with your dinner or serve as a session beer during the Red Sox game.

05-16-2006 01:30:03 | More by RugbyBeerRepeat
BeerRun13

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a nice claear dark golden color. Very little head and no lace on the initial pour, but a slightly agressive second pour provides a very nice head and great lacing.
A toasty malt aroma with a slight fruit presence and some hoppiness.
Very clean taste. Slightly fruity like malt flavor. Crisp hopiness leaves a slightly lingering bitterness.
Moderately carbonated, this lighter-side-of-medium bodied beer is smooth with a well balanced finish.
Very drinkable. I could have a few of these... thank goodness they are easy to come by.

05-15-2006 16:11:34 | More by BeerRun13
pibbxtrasucks

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

The beer pours with a nice amber color, but it has a weak head which doesn't last very long. (this particular bottle was clear, but it has been cloudy every now and then) I like the very unique smell of this beer. I've never really smelt a beer like it. it has a full aroma that smells malty to me. The taste follows the smell in fullness. It also has a nice lever of bitterness with a hint of citrus. There is a nice (medium) amount of carbonation and a very thick taste. The beer does however leave a lingering bitter taste in your mouth (which I don't mind) Overall this beer was very easy to drink even with its slightly high alcohol content. I would definitely drink several in a row (if it wasn't so hard to come by) and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it.

05-12-2006 23:18:23 | More by pibbxtrasucks
scoobybrew

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

I poured this into a typical pint glass. It has a very light amber color with good head retention. There is a yeast 'nebula' migrating down the glass, must be bottle-conditioned. The smell is one of very complex malt, fruity and berry-like. The taste is very malty with fruity tones to it. I detect some flavor that almost tastes like mild oxidation? I wonder if this is intentional and/or a result of the combination of the various malts. Curious, it doesn't really detract from the flavor. Anyway...it is very gently hopped which is noticeable primarily in the finish. It is medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation.

I find it very curious and tasty. I used to purchase this quite a bit before I started homebrewing. Looking back, I can see why as it is very different and unique.

I am curious how this ale wound up classified as a 'bock'.

05-11-2006 23:08:53 | More by scoobybrew
taez555

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

This beer poured a dark amber honey colored bodied with a off-white/tan head.

Nose has a soft but very rich fruity malt smell. Touches of sugary caramel and candy-corn type halloween candy. Not a hint of hops in this nose, it's all the fruity malt.

Medium bodied with a smooth yet creamy carbonated body. Rich simple caramel and candy type malt. There are serious hints of a belgian in this beer. The fruitiness in this beer has all these touches of dark fruit like plums and raisins. Combined with a dark fruity sugary grain taste it all reminds me of a belgian dubbel. Very mild hops barely come through but are there with a fresh grassy earthy taste and they add just enough bitterness to give the beer some balance.

Overall a very nice beer. I could see this as killer session beer if I'm in "that" mood. I know it's a maibock/helles bock, and it surely has all those qualities, but honestly it doesn't fit right into that mold. It's so much more and just very nice.

05-07-2006 20:31:17 | More by taez555
loren01

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev -15.7%

A: Poured a amber/orangish color, head dissipated quickly. No lacing at all.
S: Smells of roasted grains, caramel. Very sweet. Not much hop scent to speak of. Slight yeasy smell also.
T: Malty up front, very slight hop aftertaste. Fairly well balanced.
M: Moderate to heavy on the carbonation.
D: Pretty good session brew. Nothing really stands out and grabbed me with this one though.

05-07-2006 04:23:28 | More by loren01
DarkerTheBetter

4.03/5  rDev +2%

This beer poured a foggy pumpkin color with huge soda-like bubbles clinging to the inside of my pint. There were also quite a few bubbles floating up to the surface to clump together and kinda sorta make a head of large bubbles that popped after a few seconds.

Smelled of doughy caramel and maple syrup with a crisp dry lemon zest.

Tasted of woody bread dough, hazelnuts and the slightest bit of peanut butter. The sweetness of the malt was really understated and subtle. The smooth malty flavor persisted for a bit but was followed up by a nice pine and grapefruit rind bittering hops. This finished with a chalky and mossy hops.

The mouth feel was light, but dense with a light unobtrusive easy carbonation. Unfortunately, this beer left my mouth a little sticky.

This beer’s made for sessioning. The light sweetness and easy feel were really easy to drink. It’s 6.5%, but I look forward to getting the little pre-packaged growler and drinking it myself at a future social gathering. Nice beer.

04-27-2006 15:38:29 | More by DarkerTheBetter
Orrshow

Alberta (Canada)

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Appearance – Pours a fairly deep amber with orange tinges. There is a small amount of white head which has

Smell – Aromas that arise first are very sweet. I sense caramelized brown sugar in there with hints of what could be caramel. On top of this a grainy smell comes about and is followed by subtle fruit tones and hops. I like it.

Taste – Up front this beer shows sweet maltiness in a big way. I can taste the alcohol with this as well. There is a sharp hoppy presence with a strange fruit flavor which I can’t put my finger on. This beer tastes very different than most…and it’s good.

Mouthfeel – The carbonation in this one burns slightly. I find it to be too coarse. The consistency is fine though.

Drinkability – Not bad. Although not very high in ABV nor extremely robust, I find this to be a sipper. The carbonation makes it tough sometimes though.

Dead Guys Ale is nothing like I’ve ever tasted. It’s an odd tasting beer, but in a very nice way. Glad it’s in town now!

04-26-2006 22:25:28 | More by Orrshow
AaronHomoya

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Had this beer while I lived in California and didn't realize it wasn't an ale until looking here. Thinking it was an ale while drinking it, it reminded me a bit of a British-style ale I had recently brewed, which I find very interesting now knowing it is really a bock.

Pours a nice light amber color with a good head. Has a good balanced aroma with malt and hops. The mouthfeel is smooth. The taste is also nicely balanced, with malty, biscuit flavors offset by somewhat herbal, earthy hops.

Very drinkable and the bottle is cool too.

04-26-2006 14:05:48 | More by AaronHomoya
joedon

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%

I've had this many times at Humpy's in Anchorage where it is properly labled as a "bock". Rating based on today's tasting at the Rogue ale house in San Fran. where they describe it as a "strong ale".

I'm not sure why the confusion over the description/labeling. If it's a bottom-fermented bock beer, then call it that. Even the bottle says ale but whatever.

Very pretty dark brown with an acceptable, ivory head.
Subdued smell of malt and hops, characteristic of a (chilled) lager beer.

Big taste: lots of caramelized malt, good noble hops and some fruit notes of raisins and currants.

Excellent mouthfeel and drinkability, despite the high alcohol, I could spend the whole afternoon with this great beer!

04-24-2006 21:05:38 | More by joedon
DuqTroops

Bought this bottle at a Whole Foods market in Omaha, Nebraska. I went to the hotel and didn't bring my opener with me. So, I had to break it open on the bathroom door handle. Well, I lost have the bottle to the floor and the rest to my stomach. I will have to note that my "clean" white towels are now brown.

Appearance - cloudy, dark and orange.

Smell - a bit malty with a sence of hops.

Taste - sweet citrus with a bit of malts. again, little hops for an ale.

Mouthfeel - little carbonation to none.

Drinkability - interesting style, unique and nothing like it. great beer / craft brewer.

04-23-2006 19:21:51 | More by DuqTroops
hunteraw

China

3.08/5  rDev -22%

Appearance: Pours an appealing honey color, not a whole lot of head

Smell: Not a whole lot going on... some malt.

Taste: Malty, overly sweet.... kind of cloying by the end of the glass. Overly malty, some more hops would help.

Mouthfeel: some more carbonation might have helped... very sweet aftertaste

Drinkability isn't too high, not a whole lot going on and too sweet for me...

04-22-2006 23:12:11 | More by hunteraw
beermanbrian

3.48/5  rDev -11.9%

Orange color with one finger off white head that falls to a thin film immediately. Smell of bread, orange peel, faint alcohol. The bready, biscuity flavor is what dominates for me though. Some faint earthy hoppiness. Taste follows suit, very bready. Mouthfeel is somewhat chewy and full bodied. Finishes with some bitterness, but on the earthy side. Overall an above average beer, but not one I would go back to a lot.

04-20-2006 00:24:47 | More by beermanbrian
afordney

Tennessee

3.6/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a reddish-amber, good two finger head retained for a few seconds, but not long.

Smells like hops, a bit of alcohol.

strong hop flavors at the beginning with slight bitterness in the finish, strong alcohol flavor in the finish also.

Full mouthfeel, slightly edges toward the bitter side, but relatively balanced.

Worth trying again, but I wouldn't go to a whole lot of trouble to get it.

04-18-2006 22:41:12 | More by afordney
JayQue

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

A really good beer. Pours a somewhat cloudy orange. Head off first pour is about half inch and hands in there for a while. Subsequent pours, little head. Leaves no lacing. First smell is citrusy and hops. Taste is balanced with some hops bitterness but a slightly malty flavor. Very smooth, rich mouthfeel. I had it with my Easter ham dinner and it is a good complement to food. It would also be a good session beer, taking the 6.5 abv into account.

04-16-2006 20:50:37 | More by JayQue
dustified1234567

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

I did not pour this beer I drank it straight from the bottle. So the color was unknown to me. However, this seems to be one of those beers that you really just sit and enjoy. Not one to be drank fast but to savor the flavor. I liked the strong yet mild taste of this beer. I would recomend trying this beer at least once.

04-16-2006 20:17:31 | More by dustified1234567
NolanGTI

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

Pours a nice mid-orange amber color with a big two fingered head. Malty nose with hints of breadiness and slight citrus. Head sticks around througout with good lacing. Taste follows the nose with a sticky bready taste rounded out with citrus and dark fruit flavors (raisin possibly). Easy to drink, and decpetively strong in ABV.

04-13-2006 18:49:43 | More by NolanGTI
scooter231

3.28/5  rDev -17%

Pours a pretty copper, rusted color with an inch of off-white head. Disappears pretty quickly. Not much lacing to speak of. Incredibly clear. Nose is quite dulled down- very little going on here. Some fruityness and floralness, but you really have to dig for it. Even as it warmed, the aroma never really spoke up.

Taste is kind of odd. Sort of different with every sip. One sip is all bready/biscuityness, one is alcoholic dark fruits, and one is orangey and malty and bitter all at once. It can't seem to decide what to be. It's not bad, just... not at all coherent, if one will. Certainly intriguing, especially if you like three or four beers in one, at once.

Mouthfeel is full and bubbly, oily. A nice feel. Overall not the most drinkable brew ever, though I could see being in the mood for this from time to time. Not great, not bad. Worth a try.

04-12-2006 23:36:58 | More by scooter231
kdmorse

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Cloudy, auburn hue topped with 2 fingers of crème-colored head. Bubbles race to the surface.

S: Drippingly sweet orange caramel scent. Both hops and malt at once.

T: Hops and malt all at once. Sweet and bitter. Savory with a clean finish.

M: Creamy and tasty. Very easy on the tongue, stomach, and the mind.

D: Very drinkable on one of the first 70 degree Spring days in Indiana.

Glow-in-the-dark bottle gets extra points for appearance!

04-10-2006 23:33:33 | More by kdmorse
cracgor

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

This is a darker orange colored beer with a relatively weak head on top. Very grainy and salty smell to it. Not all that aromatic. Has a nice bitterness to it. I'm not really sure what type of hops this beer uses, but they are quite delicious. The maltieness is the major note and reminds me of a hearty bread, but it is well balanced with the hops. It is clean and crisp and easy to drink. A nice offering from Rogue.

04-08-2006 00:44:44 | More by cracgor
aforbes10

Iowa

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

a bottle from our friday bio meeting. pours orangey-brown. nice white head. bubbly. odor is kind of citrusy and earthy, a bit like oranges. taste is malty and crisp. good hop flavor, not too powerful, some alcohol on the edges that is almost, but not quite unsettling. actually, i think the alcohol taste is tamped down to some extent by the citrusy hop flavor. smooth and eminiently drinkable. a good session beer in my opinion. this is my first try of rogue's flagship beer and im impressed.

04-07-2006 18:51:24 | More by aforbes10
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

Light amber in colour with a bit of haze and lots of carbonation. Very malty aroma and flavor, with some minor caramel and orange notes. There’s a bit of roasted grain nuttiness on the finish as well. I detected a bit of spicy hop bitterness, but this is one doesn’t seem nearly as hoppy or as complex as other Rogue products that I’ve sampled. Solid, but unspectacular.

04-04-2006 14:59:14 | More by fisherman34
guinness9880

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a warm copper with an off white head. Smells biscuity, a strong malty base with mild hops and citrus not much nose to this one. Taste is very balanced sweet malt on the palate with a dry hop finish, a very solid session ale.I could definately down a lot of these

03-31-2006 04:00:03 | More by guinness9880
doppelmeup

3.83/5  rDev -3%

I opened this with excitement, as I've never had a maibock beer before.

Poured a bottle into a pilsener glass.

Not much head, which quickly dissipated, leaving only a slight ring around the edges. Cloudy, orange-red color.

Smelled flowery and sweet.

Taste was good. Sweet, with a distinct bitterness that really left the palate dry. Not much aftertaste, other than the continued dry palate.

Overall, not a bad beer, but I wasn't expecting such a dry finish. The flavor was good, but I don't think I'd drink a lot of these in a row.

03-30-2006 23:37:13 | More by doppelmeup
DrunkMcDermott

3.4/5  rDev -13.9%

Bottle purchased at Whole Foods, Chicago. A bit of a surprise since I did not know what style this was. A flagship beer from a northwestern brewer that’s not full of hops? So be it. Big malt smell upon opening and pouring, almost like malt candy. A lovely brown body under a cream colored head. Great taste of caramel malts and something that must be honey, that can’t help but overpower any hop bill. Big caramel and toffee malt finish.

03-30-2006 18:49:45 | More by DrunkMcDermott