Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
BeerGoodness

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

First stumbled across this beer and have to admit the label and name caught my eye. How would a Dead Guy taste?

Dark copper and light head catch the visual senses. I love the taste of this beer. Defiantly bitter but in a good way followed by spices and as mentioned a noticeable alcohol taste. I enjoy this as a after dinner beer as the flavor can over power most meals.

06-07-2006 22:56:22 | More by BeerGoodness
Phocion

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Dark golden copper color, with a light but very fizzy head which quickly dissolves. Very weak lacing left around the glass.

Smells lightly of malty and a little bitter hops, with a molasses/caramel flavor with a little bit of banana poking through. Very pleasant smell, but faint.

Malty, and just a little bitter. Nicely balanced, and a bit of cinnamon and other spices coming through. Alcohol taste is evident, but at 6.5% not overpowering.

Medium-bodied, with a very nice creamy feel.

Not a bad brew. A little thick and the ABV is a little high for a session beer, but I wouldn't mind knocking back a handful of these.

06-06-2006 19:50:02 | More by Phocion
maundythirsty

Wisconsin

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

12 oz. bottle into a stange glass. No apparent date.

Clear, deep brassy color. Tall cream-colored head hangs around quite well. Not a powerful smell, but there is sweet malt with a boozy touch.

Taste is just like cranking up the volume on the smell. Spicy-sweet malt with a judicious and complex touch of acidic piney hops. Again, the alcohol comes through more than I would expect for a beer with a healthy, but not booming ABV. But it is not the least bit unpleasant. Plenty of carbonation. Maybe more than I prefer, but it may keep the heavy mouthfeel from tipping into syrupy.

Without a whole lot of experience with the style, I'd say it's a heckuva maibock.

06-04-2006 00:53:41 | More by maundythirsty
Domingo

Colorado

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a hazy amber color. Actually almost the exact color of natural honey. Head is there, but seems to lack staying power.
Smell is yeasty, with fruit highlights. Apples and peaches in particular. There's a little cracker-like grainyness in the the finish.
Flavor is initially sweet with some malt in the finish. After a second, the hops really seem to come out. There's a sour peachyness (maybe apricot, too) that keeps hopping out at me...but it's a really good thing.
Mouthfeel's great for a warm day beer or a session.
I could have no problem drinking 2-3 of these around a table of friends.
This is an excellent default beer to keep in the fridge. It's flavorful, but highly drinkable.
I'm not sure how they made a Maibock Ale...but it's quite good one way or another. If someone just asked for a "good beer" to buy, this would be on my list for sure.
(Edit a few days later)

The more I try of this beer the more I keep thinking it's almost like a "light" Barleywine. It has a lot of the same hallmark flavors, but less pronounced. The beer reminds me a lot of someone trying to turn an Old Ruffian into a session beer, which isn't necessarily a bad thing!

06-03-2006 22:28:56 | More by Domingo
acoatley

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured a light head that dissipated rather quickly. Color is golden amber with a light haze. Wonderful malty aroma with notes of caramel, no hops. Moderate hop bitterness hits you first with a nice caramel malty finish with a touch of raosty dark malt. Beer has good body and feels creamy on the palate.

06-01-2006 03:15:38 | More by acoatley
jettjon

Highs: Nose, good hops/malt flavor
Lows: None

Pours a cloudy apricot/honey/orange tan color with some minor yeast residue evident in the bottom of the bottle. Head is one finger of foam that fades at a moderate pace, leaving light lacing and a thin head that lasts almost to the bottom. Nose of hops, strong but subdued malt (malt balls style candy), and an off-sweet yeasty or bready aroma. Taste of strong malt and moderate to light hops, some spice, and a light sweet “tea” like flavor. Finishes clean, crisp, lightly bitter and of course malty. Mouth is watery, and soothingly smooth. Drinkability is well above average: goes down easy and is tasty. Easy to toss back plenty of these, and at 6.5%, it’s not too terribly stout.

Overall: A very good Maibock/Ale.

05-30-2006 23:21:24 | More by jettjon
mclanem

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

Appearance: It's a golden brown beer looks to be unfiltered an big plus, very little head but it was cooold when I poured it so not a lot expected

Smell: It has something unique in the smell it is faint and can only smell it breathing out, this beer holds little smell but I am intrigued by what I get.

Taste: the tase is a little bitter but it is like a biting bitter flavor not like a really bitter lager, it has the taste of what ever the smell is, interesting.

Mouthfeel: it has great carbs and it looks and feels unfiltered always plesent in a good beer I liked i.

Drinkability: it is smooth with a great balance of flavor, I am still very interested in the flavor of this beer and I may buy it again and that says a lot.

05-29-2006 03:22:21 | More by mclanem
normZurawski

3.48/5  rDev -11.9%

Looks good, decent, nothing amazing. Smell is immediate stale bar room, which turns me off to this beer. I guess that may be the yeast? I'm not sure. Taste is ok, a little unbalanced on the harsh bitterness side. I get alcohol around the bitterness. Meh - nothing to jump up and down about. Not bad, ok. Mouthfeel is nice, light richness and/or creaminess. Average+ drinkability.

I had a few of these after mowing the lawn and it really didn't do anything for me. In my quest for the perfect warm weather beer, this doesn't do the trick. As it warms I think it tends to get a little better, with the harsh tastes rounding out a little as you go.

05-28-2006 00:58:51 | More by normZurawski
clabaugh

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance: Pours a dark copper, crowned with a pasty tan, two-finger head. The head is nice and sudsy, and retains pretty well. Lacing is adequate.

Smell: Barley malts and a fresh hoppiness. In fine balance. Melon rind in the nose, and some sweet spice; cinnamon? Very pleasing.

Taste: Roasted barley malts and a bitter, resiny hop presence. Very bold flavor, but displays rather good balance. Cinnamon and ginger. Unripened melon, or pumpkin.

Mouthfeel: Intensely dry. Medium-bodied with a syrupy touch. Strong carbonation, and a bitterness that really persists.

Drinkability: A spot filling, without a particularly elite flavor. These factors detract some from the drinkability. However, this is a good, enjoyable, and, in a sense, classic beer. I'll always have a place in my heart for Dead Guy.

05-24-2006 02:51:23 | More by clabaugh
JohnnyM2002

Maryland

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

I was very excited to try this, as it was my first experience with Rogue. It pours a dark orangish with a creamy head and it smelled of spice and apricot. Goes down smooth...definitely more of a spicey taste than dry-fruity. Can detect good carbonation towards the end. I think this would compliment a nice steak very nicely.
Also, it comes in a pretty damn cool bottle!

05-22-2006 23:57:27 | More by JohnnyM2002
mmmbeer

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

12 oz. bottle with no freshness date - pours a clear bronzed caramel body with a few beads of carbonation leading up to a small off-white head. The aroma consists of pale and toasted malts with some sweet/caramel qualities. The body is medium and prickly at the start, revealing caramel, toasty, sweet (bubblegum?) malts with a mild hop bite, and leaving a medium finish. Pretty good but Rogue brews better beers that I'd rather buy.

05-21-2006 18:06:44 | More by mmmbeer
Cwrw

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

One of my favourite styles and I'm excited to try this Maibock from Rogue. Came in a 6-pack of 330ml bottles with the lovely skeleton on the barrel label. A solid-looking beer in the glass, iced-tea colour with a generous cap of tight dull-white head. Good full sheets of lacing. The beer can appear light orange as well as dull rusty-red. A swell looking Maibock. Onto the more important...aroma: the first scent I get is spicy nuttiness, like egg-nog with nutmeg. Excellent malts with full notes of toffee and vanilla wafer, and some sourish bready notes. Very creamy smelling, with a spritziness that could be the alcohol or the hops. The hops are complementing the malting well, adding some dry, earthy, musky smells. I get a lot of sweetish vanilla and even maple. Lots of tree bark and caramel with the bitterness of tea. Bready, roasted and warming. Not hugely complex, but done very well for the style, with emphasis on the rich malts. A respectable aroma. The taste is sweet caramel malt with the flowery aftertaste of German hops. Butterscotch and raisins with some white sugar undertones. A little hard-water in the middle of the mouth, making the body feel a little thin at times. Honey and strong toffee flavours in the beer, with lots of buttered toast and whole-grain bread tastes. Besides the tiniest watery sensation the taste is stellar for a bock. Smooth on the tongue with medium carbonation and little alcoholic burn. Medium bodied, going down easily, with all the "have-another" character you could want in a bock. Solid. Thanks Rogue.

05-20-2006 09:18:10 | More by Cwrw
DaggerEyes

4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

brown 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

poured a slightly hazy appricot color with a creamy head 1 finger tall, gave way to great lacing clinging to the side of the glass

Grainy buttery and fruity scents, mixed with some carmel malt smells and a slight apple cider or apricot scent.

An extremely well balanced beer, slightly spicy, carmel malts, tastes of cooked apricots and plums.

Prickly on the tip of the tounge a pleasant ammount of carbonation that settles out by the time it gets to the back for a crisp and smooth finish.

05-19-2006 13:16:27 | More by DaggerEyes
vanrassel

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

I've had few beers that look so inviting. A thick, creamy two-finger head sat atop a beautiful, copper-coloured beer in my mug and remained there despite my drinking it at a leisurely pace.

The aroma and taste were in perfect harmony, though I wished the smell was a little bolder.What impressed me most is this beer somehow accomplishes the feat of having an equal balance between hoppy bitterness and malty sweetness without the two cancelling each other out — they were both apparent in the taste and smell.

The hops and malt comingled at the start of each sip, but a little caramel and toffee sweetness emerged near the back end. The aftertaste was distinctly hoppy, but not overwhelmingly so. The carbonation and mouthfeel were a little thin, but overall this is a highly drinkable, quality brew.

05-19-2006 03:19:31 | More by vanrassel
mrasskicktastic

2.5/5  rDev -36.7%

A - An amber caramel beer with a nest of large bubbles at the bottom of my pint glass. A moderate sized head that disspates in about a minute leaving no lacing behind.

S - A moderate corn aroma with a bit of a coffe edge over a red licorice sweetness.

T - A slightly sweet red licorice and coffee flavor. There is a grassy ascerbic bitterness in the aftertaste. Not very good.

M - The mouthfeel is very drying, thin and highly carbonated.

D - Not awful, but I'll make a point to avoid this in the future. It isn't undrinkable, but it is far from desirable. The pilsneresque grassyness suggests that it might be good with some foods, but I am not sure what.

05-16-2006 04:48:48 | More by mrasskicktastic
RugbyBeerRepeat

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

Where I live, this costs $48 a case. It’s worth it. With an exceptionally rich taste but light mouthfeel, this is one of my favorite beers. The taste is an even blend of bitter fruit, smoke, and hops. It is sweet but earthy. Heavy carbonation adds to its bite. A versatile four season beer that can go along with your dinner or serve as a session beer during the Red Sox game.

05-16-2006 01:30:03 | More by RugbyBeerRepeat
BeerRun13

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a nice claear dark golden color. Very little head and no lace on the initial pour, but a slightly agressive second pour provides a very nice head and great lacing.
A toasty malt aroma with a slight fruit presence and some hoppiness.
Very clean taste. Slightly fruity like malt flavor. Crisp hopiness leaves a slightly lingering bitterness.
Moderately carbonated, this lighter-side-of-medium bodied beer is smooth with a well balanced finish.
Very drinkable. I could have a few of these... thank goodness they are easy to come by.

05-15-2006 16:11:34 | More by BeerRun13
pibbxtrasucks

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

The beer pours with a nice amber color, but it has a weak head which doesn't last very long. (this particular bottle was clear, but it has been cloudy every now and then) I like the very unique smell of this beer. I've never really smelt a beer like it. it has a full aroma that smells malty to me. The taste follows the smell in fullness. It also has a nice lever of bitterness with a hint of citrus. There is a nice (medium) amount of carbonation and a very thick taste. The beer does however leave a lingering bitter taste in your mouth (which I don't mind) Overall this beer was very easy to drink even with its slightly high alcohol content. I would definitely drink several in a row (if it wasn't so hard to come by) and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it.

05-12-2006 23:18:23 | More by pibbxtrasucks
scoobybrew

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

I poured this into a typical pint glass. It has a very light amber color with good head retention. There is a yeast 'nebula' migrating down the glass, must be bottle-conditioned. The smell is one of very complex malt, fruity and berry-like. The taste is very malty with fruity tones to it. I detect some flavor that almost tastes like mild oxidation? I wonder if this is intentional and/or a result of the combination of the various malts. Curious, it doesn't really detract from the flavor. Anyway...it is very gently hopped which is noticeable primarily in the finish. It is medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation.

I find it very curious and tasty. I used to purchase this quite a bit before I started homebrewing. Looking back, I can see why as it is very different and unique.

I am curious how this ale wound up classified as a 'bock'.

05-11-2006 23:08:53 | More by scoobybrew
taez555

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

This beer poured a dark amber honey colored bodied with a off-white/tan head.

Nose has a soft but very rich fruity malt smell. Touches of sugary caramel and candy-corn type halloween candy. Not a hint of hops in this nose, it's all the fruity malt.

Medium bodied with a smooth yet creamy carbonated body. Rich simple caramel and candy type malt. There are serious hints of a belgian in this beer. The fruitiness in this beer has all these touches of dark fruit like plums and raisins. Combined with a dark fruity sugary grain taste it all reminds me of a belgian dubbel. Very mild hops barely come through but are there with a fresh grassy earthy taste and they add just enough bitterness to give the beer some balance.

Overall a very nice beer. I could see this as killer session beer if I'm in "that" mood. I know it's a maibock/helles bock, and it surely has all those qualities, but honestly it doesn't fit right into that mold. It's so much more and just very nice.

05-07-2006 20:31:17 | More by taez555
loren01

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev -15.7%

A: Poured a amber/orangish color, head dissipated quickly. No lacing at all.
S: Smells of roasted grains, caramel. Very sweet. Not much hop scent to speak of. Slight yeasy smell also.
T: Malty up front, very slight hop aftertaste. Fairly well balanced.
M: Moderate to heavy on the carbonation.
D: Pretty good session brew. Nothing really stands out and grabbed me with this one though.

05-07-2006 04:23:28 | More by loren01
DarkerTheBetter

4.03/5  rDev +2%

This beer poured a foggy pumpkin color with huge soda-like bubbles clinging to the inside of my pint. There were also quite a few bubbles floating up to the surface to clump together and kinda sorta make a head of large bubbles that popped after a few seconds.

Smelled of doughy caramel and maple syrup with a crisp dry lemon zest.

Tasted of woody bread dough, hazelnuts and the slightest bit of peanut butter. The sweetness of the malt was really understated and subtle. The smooth malty flavor persisted for a bit but was followed up by a nice pine and grapefruit rind bittering hops. This finished with a chalky and mossy hops.

The mouth feel was light, but dense with a light unobtrusive easy carbonation. Unfortunately, this beer left my mouth a little sticky.

This beer’s made for sessioning. The light sweetness and easy feel were really easy to drink. It’s 6.5%, but I look forward to getting the little pre-packaged growler and drinking it myself at a future social gathering. Nice beer.

04-27-2006 15:38:29 | More by DarkerTheBetter
Orrshow

3.95/5  rDev 0%

Appearance – Pours a fairly deep amber with orange tinges. There is a small amount of white head which has

Smell – Aromas that arise first are very sweet. I sense caramelized brown sugar in there with hints of what could be caramel. On top of this a grainy smell comes about and is followed by subtle fruit tones and hops. I like it.

Taste – Up front this beer shows sweet maltiness in a big way. I can taste the alcohol with this as well. There is a sharp hoppy presence with a strange fruit flavor which I can’t put my finger on. This beer tastes very different than most…and it’s good.

Mouthfeel – The carbonation in this one burns slightly. I find it to be too coarse. The consistency is fine though.

Drinkability – Not bad. Although not very high in ABV nor extremely robust, I find this to be a sipper. The carbonation makes it tough sometimes though.

Dead Guys Ale is nothing like I’ve ever tasted. It’s an odd tasting beer, but in a very nice way. Glad it’s in town now!

04-26-2006 22:25:28 | More by Orrshow
AaronHomoya

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Had this beer while I lived in California and didn't realize it wasn't an ale until looking here. Thinking it was an ale while drinking it, it reminded me a bit of a British-style ale I had recently brewed, which I find very interesting now knowing it is really a bock.

Pours a nice light amber color with a good head. Has a good balanced aroma with malt and hops. The mouthfeel is smooth. The taste is also nicely balanced, with malty, biscuit flavors offset by somewhat herbal, earthy hops.

Very drinkable and the bottle is cool too.

04-26-2006 14:05:48 | More by AaronHomoya
joedon

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%

I've had this many times at Humpy's in Anchorage where it is properly labled as a "bock". Rating based on today's tasting at the Rogue ale house in San Fran. where they describe it as a "strong ale".

I'm not sure why the confusion over the description/labeling. If it's a bottom-fermented bock beer, then call it that. Even the bottle says ale but whatever.

Very pretty dark brown with an acceptable, ivory head.
Subdued smell of malt and hops, characteristic of a (chilled) lager beer.

Big taste: lots of caramelized malt, good noble hops and some fruit notes of raisins and currants.

Excellent mouthfeel and drinkability, despite the high alcohol, I could spend the whole afternoon with this great beer!

04-24-2006 21:05:38 | More by joedon