Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
packetknife

Idaho

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

Very malty, very malty. The nose was somewhat mellon-like or some fruit I can't remember when I was in Puerto Rico (Passion fruit?). The appearance either escapes me or was completely unremarkable, I might revise that in the near future as I have another bottle. The taste was a great thick malty flavor with some burnt toast and an excellent creamy consistency. You got the impression you were drinking fresh baked sweet bread in a sense. I had to clean my pallete afterward but almost regretted doing so as the feel and taste weren't anything to complain about.

06-15-2005 01:39:53 | More by packetknife
Sigmund

Norway

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

12 fl. oz. bottle, trade with maeib. Pours very foamy and fizzy, with a decent lingering head. Deep amber colour, hazy. Sweet yeasty aroma with elements of oak, molasses, butter and hayloft. Flavour has some molasses sweetness, butter, butterscotch, some spices and decent hops, but lacks a fresh and spritzy "bite". Too much butter elements, I guess. Still a beer well above average, but I’m not ecstatic.

06-13-2005 22:27:34 | More by Sigmund
NiceGuyMike

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

Cloudy Amber color. Pours think with a pillowy head that doesn't stick around long. Little lacing.

Smells of strong malts and caramels with some floral hops.

Tastes of strong caramel malts. Finishes with a bit of bitterness and some alcohol. Strong alcohol makes this not the most drinkable beer, but good.

This is a nice beer. A bit more hoppy than a double bock which is nice. I'm not a terrible fan of malty sweet beers. I think years ago I made some chili using this with good results. I will have to try it again.

06-11-2005 22:40:07 | More by NiceGuyMike
LarryKemp

3.28/5  rDev -17%

This ale poured an almost clear amber brown with a firm long lasting head that even at the end of the beer still had a nice ring around the bottom of the glass.

The hops and malt played equally on the nose. Sort of sweet. Sort of biting. This may well be the best part of the beer.

This beer was way too sweet for my taste. The maltiness jumped right on my tongue with the first sip and clung to the roof of my mouth well after the finish of the last one. With some effort, I could focus on the hops and get some bittering, but it was not worth the effort.

The mouthfeel was nice and full It most defineately has body.

I won this beer at a club meeting so it was worth the price of raffle tickets. I probably won't buy it. An okay beer but one that I will soon forget.

06-10-2005 01:46:29 | More by LarryKemp
WetCoaster

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

Ah, life's cruel ironies. A Rogue Public House, one of only a few in the country, opened around the corner from my place. On the surface, a blessing. Unfortunately, as has been noted in several Beerfly reviews, the place has serious line issues; rumor has it that these poor brews must travel 2/3 of a football field through cruddy line to reach the tap. The result is that all of their beers are on tap -- and virtually none is worth drinking by the time it gets there.

So, while I've had this on tap 20 times, bottles it is. I thought I'd start with Dead Guy maibock, because, along with Sam Adam's Vienna lager, it's one of America's only popular examples of an arcane style.

Appearance: A clear, deep copper with a mottled white/tan head. Rocky with pretty good retention. Carbonation is fine and about average for a craft brew.

Smell: Sweet, sweet and more sweet. Caramel malts soaking in cherry brandy. Alcohol vapors and a bit of resin solvent.

Taste/Mouthfeel: GAK! Surprisingly upfront alcohol. Once you get past that, carmelly, syrupy malt with a saturated, pitted fruit and bourbon, burnt sugar tang. Slighty bready, a bit grainy. The mouthfeel is medium, but a bit sticky; smooth and easy.

Drinkability: Actually far boozier than I'd have imagined. Otherwise, a dense, rich and enjoyable bock.

Hopefully, they'll get the quality control controlled at the bar so I can get a real taste of this fresh and alive instead of buttery and gross. Until then, I may as well live in Ohio. DOH!

06-08-2005 06:06:52 | More by WetCoaster
LPorter33

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = murky, foggy, light brown-red. Not much getting through here, minimal head. I like the opaqueness.

Smell = Hit with a potent hoppy citrus blast initially that quickly scurries into the shadows. What follows is a very pleasant sweet, honey suckle like scent almost like a fresh melon.

Taste = Thick and syrupy, can taste the alcohol and it even feels stronger than 6.5%. Delicious tasting. The alcohol and hops is balanced with the perfect amount of sweetness. Slightly reminiscent of a Newcastle but on steroids with a ton more zest and flavor.

Overall = A great tasting beer. A little too syrupy for me to pound down many at a time but this is an amazing beer to sip slowly and enjoy.

06-08-2005 01:28:22 | More by LPorter33
Zak

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Beautiful amber color with a thick off-white head. There is a significant alcohol smell, with a hint of hops. The smell is a bit closer to solvent than I'd prefer in a beer. The taste is less dominated by alcohol, though its presence is more noticable than I would expect for 6.5%. This beer definately gets most of its flavor from malt, with hops playing a secondary role. It's fairly sweet, with a hint of something burnt. It has a light feel, with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is very good, but I think I'd get bored after two. This is a decent beer, but I'd expect a six-pack to cost $8, not $11.

06-02-2005 06:16:32 | More by Zak
pentathlete

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a hazy dark orange brown. Some head, that falls quickly to a table of beige. Nose is malty with a strong candied fruit aroma. Taste is malts and some hops, good but not expceptional. The candied fruit is less pronounced but still present throughout. Mouthfeel is thin for such a malty and sweet brew. Very easy to drink and not too expensive. Good beer to have on hand for company.

05-28-2005 02:56:07 | More by pentathlete
cubedbee

Maryland

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured an amber brown with a thin beige head and no lacing. Smell was light and malty, not much going on. Taste is very sweet and malty upfront, with hints of caramel and plums, and nicely balanced with a solid woodsy hops presence. Medium bodied with a somewhat syrupy smooth feel. This is one of my least favorite Stone offerings---its not bad but its just not good enough for me to seek out.

05-24-2005 23:24:46 | More by cubedbee
FLAbeergutinMASS

2.78/5  rDev -29.6%

I have had it with Rogue beers, they are too oddballish for me. So frequently they are blown up on BA as one of the better beers (breweries) on the west coast. No chance. My review will fall in that gray area of a bad low three score. Hey, I gave it a try.

Dead guy, uh?!?!?? More like dead beer. Pours a basic pale ale color with really no offering of any type of head. Malty taste, followed by a little hop kick. Sure this beer is relatively drinkable because it's light for this style, but why would you drink it?

Yeah, yeah, pretty harsh review, maybe I had a bad batch, but I don't think so considering my experience with this brewery.

Very disappointing.

05-17-2005 22:59:54 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
edchef1850

4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

I pour this beer fro ma 12 oz. bottle into a wide mouth stem med glass, nice rich color, medium head retention with a sweet pleasant aroma. Taste, ...oh yeah baby, this is some good stuff, full boidied, great balance and depth. at 6.5 abv i must be careful, i could drink this maibock all friggin night. Rogue never ever dissapoints me , i love this stuff!

05-14-2005 17:48:11 | More by edchef1850
Schwarzbart

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

I've always tried this beer straight out of the bottle, so this is my first time pouring it into a glass and am I surprised to find that this beer is a reddish-orange amber. Not sure why, but I thought it would look even darker. The smell is of sweet malts and along with the hop aroma there is a fruit punch smell. The taste is sweet, but the alcohol is also prevalent and the hops give it a perfumy/metallic taste. Mouthfeel has a dry finish. I didn't like this beer in college, but it is growing on me.

05-14-2005 00:53:28 | More by Schwarzbart
xgrigorix

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

On tap, presented in a shaker pint.

Burnt rust colour. Topped by a thin beige head. Slow moving, thin carboantion.

Smells toasty, with a pleasant dose of woody / spicy hops.

Loads of good malty sweet flavours - caramel, honey, & toasted. Some sublte dark fruity tones wander around. Decent hopping - woody, spicy, & a little bit herbal. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation. Overall pretty solid & tasty.

05-06-2005 17:26:26 | More by xgrigorix
silver0rlead

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a deep amber color with a big white head that leaves nice lacing. The smell is fruity esters, with a sweet malt backbone, a nicely done maibock smell. The taste is a Bready and slightly sweet malt followed by a floral hop taste that ends in a citrusy tart bitterness. Overall a quality brew, maybe nothing outstanding but very drinkable and complex enough to satisfy the experienced craft brew drinker. A great session beer

05-05-2005 00:40:52 | More by silver0rlead
Vancer

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Wait, a Maibock style brew (lager) made with “Rogue's proprietary "PacMan" ale yeast”?? Huh?
Oh well, still a great brew, from the hazy orange pour with ivory head, to the lightly spiced, malty aroma and taste. Hops are lite (IBU 40). Perfectly carbed, lite in the mouth and drinkable for the short or long haul – the 6.5% is craftily hidden.

05-03-2005 12:33:31 | More by Vancer
SaCkErZ9

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

I really like this beer. The name is creative and the bottle as well. Pours dark amber with minimal head that doesnt retain very well. The smell is not very powerful and nothing really stood out (except the famous and exclusive (i think) Pacman yeast), but it was still had a very pleasing maltiness tone. I really like the taste of the Pacman so I am partial to most of the Rogue offerings. Very smooth mouthfeel that feels like silk on the tongue and the back of the throat. A very drinkable beer. The price is pretty high here in the South, $10 for a six pack, so I try to savor every ounce of this well crafted brew.

04-30-2005 19:13:09 | More by SaCkErZ9
Roderick

Kentucky

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

The ale poured amber/red in color and had a very small head that dissipated in less than a minute.
The smell is malty with a hint of sweet (nice).
This ale has a really good taste that is crisp with some malty-semisweet action going on.
It had basically no aftertaste.
All in all I liked this ale allot and plan on it becoming a regular in my fridge.
Paid $4.99 for a 650ml bottle

04-25-2005 19:52:34 | More by Roderick
bceaglejoe

3.48/5  rDev -11.9%

Presentation: Poured an opaque amber into a slim mug. A two-finger thick head formed quickly, and then it started to dissipate. Retention was decent. It wasn't so much of a "creamy" head, since it showed off a lot of carbonation. A strong, crisp floral hop aroma dominated the nose.

Tasting: I caught a lot of hop bitterness on the tongue and in the aftertaste. There was a little bit of malt sweetness balancing it out, but it almost didn't seem enough in my opinion. Based on what I've read about the style, this seems to be par for the course. After I got used to the initial few tastings, it started to come across as slightly more grapefruit-y. The taste stuck around in my mouth for a bit. The carbonation was more than I cared for. With a slightly higher-than-average alcohol content, drinkability gets knocked down a notch.

I think that what could have made this beer better would have been more malt balancing to offset the hop bitterness. I am open to the idea that others would prefer the assertive hop character, though. This one was (and is) definitely worth a try.

04-22-2005 22:37:27 | More by bceaglejoe
Litterbean

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

On tap @ Cyber Cafe West.

Pours an orange-red with 1 finger's worth of head that leaves a thin layer on top of the beer and lace along the sides.

Smells Fruity, malty, and bready all at the same time. Very pleasing aroma.

Tastes malty like sweet bread, mostly the crust. There are hints of spices, something like a cinnamon but it really isn't that prominent. Some grapefruit flavor lingers afterwards as the spicy hoppiness finishes this beer off. Very clean drinking and smooth. Tasty for sure.

I like this much better on-tap than in bottles. Satisfying either way, but on-tap is the way to go if you have the choice.

04-17-2005 01:09:58 | More by Litterbean
sinistermadman

Oregon

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

This brew pours a nice deep copper color while emanating a whispy head which doesn't stay around for long. Smell hints at citrus and hops.

Mouthfeel is pretty dry, but it is quite good. I give a 4.5 for drinkability. A very hearty beer. Has just enough bitterness to be interesting while leaving a very clean finish. Well worth a try.

04-17-2005 00:11:49 | More by sinistermadman
zao77

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

The best word to explain this beer would be "smooth". When you pour it into the glass there isn't too much head at first but after awhile you get this semi-thin smooth silky lining that lasts until you drink the last drop.

Mouthfeel is pretty soft leaving you with a dry finish. At first taste my mouth was filled with beer euphoria (something you get when you haven't tasted a really good beer in a really long time). Good beer. I will definitely have to get it again in the near future.

04-12-2005 20:12:52 | More by zao77
bashiba

Iowa

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a very brilliant clean copper color with a couple inches of nice off white head

Smells of toasted malts with some hints of sweet fruits.

Taste is dominated by a nice toasted malt flavor with a slight metallic copper taste mixing in as well. A decent hoppiness rounds out the flavor very nicely.

Mouthfeel is very crisp and dry.

A good beer from rogue, but nothing to get excited about.

04-10-2005 15:38:35 | More by bashiba
beersarang

A solid offering from rogue.

Pours a copper on the verge of amber with a tannish head that doesn't retain well but leaves some lacing.

Smells quite nice, with light malt aromas and a faint hop presence.

Flavor is of a smooth maltiness and a mildly citrucy and spicy hop finish that balances and rounds the brew out.

Medium bodied, prickly carbonation.

It seems like everything in this beer is in balance, quite a pleasure to drink. Rogue picked a good beer to be their "flagship" brew.

04-09-2005 06:05:15 | More by beersarang
lackenhauser

Maryland

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a somewhat orange tinged amber color. No real head though a good carbonation level. Malty aroma-touch of caramel sweetness. Medium hop bitterness. Good malt flavor. Somewhat dry in the finish. Ok body for style. An average beer overall. I know its popular with some folk but Rogue can and does do better.

04-09-2005 02:28:36 | More by lackenhauser
rowew

Colorado

4.4/5  rDev +11.4%

Presentation: 12 oz long neck bottle. No information about the beer or freshness on the label.

Appearance: Pours a hazy red orange color with a relatively thin but very thick looking head. Lacing is minimal.

Smell: Mainly a sweet malty aroma, with hints of hops and fruit.

Taste: Medium bodied with a nice low carbonation level that lends itself to a high drinkability. Flavor is a nice malty base with a nice dose of hops near the end. Just like the aroma there are hints of fruit in there, but nothing specific jumped out at me.

Overall impression: A very enjoyable offering from Rogue - and a great gateway beer to get your friends to drink better beer. This is one of my favorite standby's, and a regular purchase if I'm attending a party.

04-05-2005 00:28:47 | More by rowew