1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Dead Guy AleDead Guy Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a cloudy deep orange hue with a surprisingly small head, which quickly disipates.

Hops and malt intermingle beautifully in this brew, with the malt finally winning out with a generous smattering of rich sweetness.

Big malty flavouring mildly counteracted by piney hops. But once again, the thick maltiness wins out.... a well balanced brew to be sure, but lacking in complexity.

The moderately thick mouthfeel is consistent with the style, however I find this brew to be a bit too carbonated for my taste.

Quite drinkable... while I was not as impressed with this brew as I have been with many other Rogue brews, it is still quite well done. Rogue remains one of my top 5 favorite brewers.

nickss, Jan 11, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

My first time for any Rogue product, found it in Belfast. Pours a bit hazy orange brown color. Smell score is 3.5 only cause my sense of smell sucks, so I'll be neutral. Taste is quite like dried fruit and malt. Bitterness and some alcohol bite work well with the sweetness. Finishes very nice.

I like this, will pick up more soon!!

Manosbeeroffate, Jan 06, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber/Copper in color with a nice head.

Smell: Can’t really pick out a lot. Just some malt and hops. Some breadiness is also present. Great taste. Very balanced.

Taste: Starts with some hops and ends with a bready flavor. There is also a slight sweetness and alcohol warming. Neither is overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. I could have a few of these in a sitting.

This is another good brew from the folks at rouge and my first Maibock. Look forward to trying other examples of this style and other Rouge br

bahumutx, Jan 05, 2006
3.23/5  rDev -18.2%

I bought a growler of this instead of a sixer because the bottle will be a cool decoration.

First of all, I think there is a difference in the taste between a growler and bottle. This is quite a bit more bitter. It looks a bit darker than I remember and also seems to be a bit cloudy. The head was small but reading my bottle reveiw I said the same thing about it then. There seems to be a little difference in taste between serving types. I have had this beer on-tap as well and it was far different. Perhaps I will reveiw it on-tap sometime. Still a good beer from a good brewer.

Enola, Jan 05, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

This is the one beer to have when you are having only one....cuz any more then one of these guys (12 oz.) and you arent getting up. It is THAT heavy a feeling beer. The problem is that it just doesnt have the rest to back it up. All that weight in your body and the body of the beer is just medium....think Guiness-. Flavor is pretty one dimentional too, nice bitterness along the lines of a strong cup of coffee. Sweetness and maltiness are sort of muted by the odd alcohol/something I cant place aroma...not bad, just not part of my palate memory. All in all not what you are hoping for and ye for some reason I come back to it every so often just to be underwhelmed.

Brodirt, Jan 04, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

It's flavorful. It's not that great though. I think there's a certain hype about this beer. I was hoping for something good-excellent, but I got an average strong beer. I didn't go reaching for a second bottle and neither did anybody else. There are better drinks to quaff.

snilsen13, Jan 03, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured a nice amber color. Some reddish hints. Somewhat small head that didn't last very long. Some lacing, but not much.

The aroma is malt. There is some hops that start to shine at the end. Somewhat sweet and bready. Nothing spectacular.

The taste is roasted malts. Much dryer than expected. Some hops, but not too much. Definitely a straightforward but somewhat unexciting taste. Mild flavors.

There is a light carbonation, but the mouthfeel is overall quite nice. It is refreshing. Overall, it was different than expected. A much simpler brew. While I could probably have another, I don't see the point. More exciting stuff out there.

atigerlife, Dec 28, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy orange/amber. Great floral hop aroma with some malty sweetness. The flavor features a rich, grainy malt sweetness along with smooth caramel and roasty toffee. That’s not to say this brew is unbalanced; there is also a nice citrus hop presence, especially towards the finish. The mouthfeel is creamy with mildly active carbonation.

While this is a great brew, I have one point of contention with it; call me old fashioned, but if you categorize a beer as any type of bock, it better be a LAGER!!! However, because Dead Guy does have a lot in common with many of the Maibocks I’ve tried, and because it’s a fairly exceptional brew, I’m more than willing to overlook any sort of classification gripe I might have. Highly recommended.

arguemaniac, Dec 23, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

From a 12 oz. Bottle; Honey orange and slightly hazy in appearance; A head that highlights the stickiness and heft;

The smell is some faint sweetness and flowery hops.

I was immediately struck and impressed by the approachability of this beer. And the balance; The smell of flowery hops were present, and there was adequate flavor and bittering, but there was not an overpowering sense of hops driven madness; there was honey and a fantastic syruppy quality to the baody of this beer, making it medium bodied; but still hopped enough to be a refreshing session type beer.

I am really impressed by this beer, and I see why they sell it in giant growlers.

andjusticeforale, Dec 22, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Bought a 6pack in a handsome black box boldly emblazoned with the Rogue 'communist/star' logo. Individual bottles a little less intriguing, with the Cinco de Mayo style 'dead guy' amidst some psychedelic colors.

This beer poured a deep red color that seems to glow and sported a thin tan head; I had to work a bit harder on the next few beers to get a thicker head, which still didn't stick around long. Minimal lacing on the nonic glass.

The smell of this brew is good, sweet and tempting - earthy bread and honey.

Mouthfeel is also good, but the taste is even better; I really noticed with this beer that the scent adds so much to the taste - At one point I poured one into a tall hefeweissen glass because it was all I had handy and the scent and taste were really deminished. Use a nonic or a glass with a wide mouth so you can really breathe. The taste is sweet but not cloying, with rich flavors that swirl and excite every part of the palate, with a special treat on the back of the tongue when swallowing; Exhale through your mouth after you swallow for a fresh kick of sweetness that washes away the earthy tones of the beer and leaves you ready for another sip.

I prefer this beer relatively cool; After it starts to warm up the alcohol becomes more noticeable; Never astringent or ginny, but it leaves a certain sickly taste as the carbonation starts to fade and the beer warms. 6.5 abv - a lot or a little depending on what you're used to, but two of these put me in a right cheerful mood. Definitely not a session beer but definitely worth a try.

Tupperwolf, Dec 21, 2005
3.38/5  rDev -14.4%

Dead Guy Ale pours a deep, hazy honey color with a small head which rapidly fades away leaving some, but not much lacing. It smells like plum and grain.

It smells hoppier than it tastes. The malt is well balanced and reminds me of crusty breads. It has a slightly spicy note to it which is not exactly what I was expecting for a maibock. Finishes with a pungent kick, but is very enjoyable.

Overall, it is enjoyable. It is not what I was expecting, but is still tasty; I could drink a few or more of these in one sitting.

Mitchel, Dec 21, 2005

nice clear almost amber color, lightens up with some gold tomes when held to light. leaves a lightly tanned, thin stable head.

sweet malty aroma. floral hops underneath with some alcohol bringing up the rear. lots going on there.

sort of reminds of an esb. lots of malt, but a big hop presence as well. a lot more than i expected, though true to style by the description. full and smooth mouthfeel. plenty of sweetness makes this a bit filling, but very enjoyable as well.

joecast, Dec 20, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

Bright reddish brown pour with a small tan head that quickly settles into a thin veil leaving negligable lace.

Aroma is nutty and sweet with hints of fresh baked bread and noble smelling hops.

Flavor is malt forward with plenty of roasty, toasty nut, hints of flowers, and a nondescript hop finish. Not as hoppy or as good as I remember it. It's probably been a few years since my last visit with this beer.

Body falls just below medium with a slick mouthfeel and light carbonation. A non-thinker and easy to put away.

AlexJ, Dec 18, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pilsener glass and had a nice rich amber body. Head was not impressive.

I detected a light fruity aroma that was easier to detect as the beer warmed up a little.

The fruity aroma came through in the taste as well. It was crisp, quite bitter, and I definately noticed the carbonation. It left an aftertaste with quite a bite and a presence of alcohol.

This beer drank easily and was not very filling. I would definately enjoy another one.

joeskirkie, Dec 15, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Several of my friends swear by this stuff, so I begged one off my buddy Jason and the result is this review.

Dead Guy Ale is a honey colored brew that pours a fine looking 3/4s inch head. Settles quickly but leaves a nice amount of lacing. Smells of hops, yeast, and sweet nectary goodness. The sweet scent grows as the beer warms.

Taste is bitter, smooth, crisp, hops, more bitters, and alcohol. A slight fruitiness in the beer. Departs with a nice refreshing, full finish. Has a lot of immediate "bite". Yeast in the taste, too. Left me with the impression of eating a fresh loaf of bread. Despite that, it's not very filling.

Dead Guy is a very good beer. What Rogue beer isn't, right? A little more expensive than I'd like, (around $8 for a six pack) but that's Rogue for you. This wasn't a "knock my socks off" beer, but it's a very solid brew and one you should try if you haven't.

kkipple, Dec 15, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

This beer was tasted in a Pilsner Glass from a 650mL bottle.

First of all this beer is of the type Maibock/Helles Bock which is a subcategory of Lagers. This However is named Dead Guy ALE. It tasted more like an ale to me than a lager as well. According to the Rogue website it is brewed with ale yeast so I don't understand.

However the beer pourse a cloudy amber orange color with a decent head that could hold and lace a little better than it does. It smells rather sweet but not to strong of a smell. It tasted of a good level of hop bitterness with some mild fruity malts that give it an initial sweetness. It hold well in one's mouth with some good carbonation and some slight dryness. Overall its a fantastic beer that can be drank easily.

MSchae1017, Dec 13, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

This was served to me with a thick head on top of a golden body. The head lasted a good while leaving good lacing about the glass.
The smell was sweet with fruits amd malt, caramel and hops. Although this was a decently hoppy beer, it wasn't terribly bitter. It was sweeter with a complex taste of fruits, rather spicy and a nice finish. It was clean and quite spicy but rather drinkable. This isn't rated too high but I think it's pretty damn good.

sinistrsam, Dec 11, 2005

Poured this beer into my pilsner glass. It poured a nice golden color with a thick head that left plenty of lacing. it smelled of caramel and hops. Taste of caramel and fruit. Not too hoppy of a beer. Medium spicy and roasted malt flavor. Good carbonation with a nice mouthfeel. Very drinkable beer, I enjoyed it very much just like all the rogues.

KALIKGOLD, Dec 11, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

12 ounce bottle. Dead Guy Ale pours out a clear amber color with a huge, long lasting head. Good lacing. The aroma is caramel, plums, apricots, and hops. Biscuity malt flavor up front, which then becomes toasted. Fruity flavors come in at the middle. Sweetness turns bitter in the finish. This beer isn't as hoppy as your average Rogue beer, but it has some tasty bitterness. A little spicy with an alcohol kick in the finish too. This is the first beer I ever bought, and it's still a favorite.

beveragecaptain, Dec 07, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Golden amber. Fluffy head with sticky lace all the way down the glass. Honeyed malts and candied fruits in the nose with a bit of orange zest. Taste is primarily golden roasty malts with enough citrus/leafy hop sparkle to balance the gesture toward sweetness. Toasted biscuits. Medium body, lightly chewy mouthfeel. I've been craving maltiness lately, and this didn't quite live up to what I remembered as a surprisingly tasty malt-forward beer the first time I tried it. But it's definitely a great beer to have in my hand while hanging lights on the xmess tree.

orfeu, Dec 03, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

This beer pours a beautiful copper amber color with a decent ivory colored head of about 2 fingers (into my pilsner glass). Its translucent, but not much more than the light passes through. Also, it is hazy in appearance. The smell is very gentle. It was barley there or like it was hiding; but there are hints of amber maltiness (if that means much to you). The taste is very pleasant and does not overwhelm. Very gentle up front with the hop element coming out in the middle, (very slightly you notice) the bitter bite at the end; leaves a quite substantial lingering after taste of toasted hops. I get a sort of barely caramel amber malt flavor, with just the right amount of hopy bitter. I am not a big fan of very bitter beers and this one is just barely bitter. Perfect for me. Also I generally prefer heavier beers, but this was extremely surprising. It was simply pleasant to drink. I had it with dinner tonight (and more after) and the mild cool and crisp characteristic makes it very refreshing. The mouthfeel is a bit tricky because it is very light, yet full and fluffy feeling; then when you swallow it feels crisp. It is hard for me to put my finger on but the mouthfeel is truly about perfect. The drinkability is amazing. WOW! Quite addictive. Comes in a 650 ML bottle and I guzzled it before I knew it; so in other words I HIGHLY recommend this beer. Especially when you are looking for something light and refreshing. It’s a great beer for a cookout (when that season comes), or just to enjoy when you want a pleasant beer you don't need to think much about.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Nov 30, 2005

This is a nice beer with an amber/copper-brownish color.

A little bit of toasted malty and honey sweetness in the aroma and in the taste.

It has medium body with medium carbonation. There is a nice balance between hops and malt but leans toward malty sweetness.
Slightly sweet aftertaste, but goes down real smooth.

This is a very drinkable beer. Definitely a session beer.

BillyB, Nov 30, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

This beer is a strikingly gorgeous deep amber with strong ruby tones. The color was nice enough that it was even complimented by a non-beer drinker whom I was playing pool with at the time. Unfortunately there has about the least head formation I have ever seen with just a bit of a sudsy ring around the beers surface and that is all. Smell is straightforward with a balanced earthy scent, some strawberry notes but nothing overpowering. Taste is quite delicious, earthy and smooth especially after warming up a but, really invites large swigs. This is a very high quality ale which could easily be chosen to introduce friends to craft beer because of it's approachable flavor, yet all the signs of a high quality product are here.

masikon, Nov 28, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A-This beer pours a nice light coppery-brown crystal clear body with a thin soapy head of off-white. A nice gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles.

S- The smell of soft lightly toasted malt and honey have a faint hint of hops in the finish. As it warms the taste of buiscit malt balances with the slight sweetness of the honey notes.

T- The taste of spicy grapefruit hops is a big bold taste with notes of honey malt and lightly toasted malt in the background.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel but a bit of a watery texture to it.

D- This is an interesting beer with spicy bold hops and malt and sweet honey notes in the background. It doesn't have the sulfur qualities of a lager but it does have a crisp clean quality that is nice.

rhoadsrage, Nov 27, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

After sampling this beer a couple of different times, this time I picked up the half-gallon jug to see how it compared. Overall, favorably...

I give an extra half a point on appearance due to the design of the jug...definitely unique-looking, even for Rogue. The brew itself has a dizzying combined hue: cloudy amber and some copper notes, but head retention is poor.

The beer smelled simple with no pretenses...a malty sweetness and a clean, earthy tone were all I could detect either from the jug or after the pour (again, no real head to speak of).

The taste remained true to previous pints. It is hard to find a better balance of intial malt density and trailing hop bitterness/bite. And it isn't really a bitterness, just a twang that comes through right at the tail end of a sip. Definitely the strongest characteristic.

Mouthfeel, of any category, is the weakest element, perhaps due to the container. Body-wise, the ale was just a little thin and unimpressive.

64 oz. bears witness to the drinkability of this standard-bearer for the Oregon craft giant. Very easy to put away one after another. Certainly doesn't seem like 6.5% ABV.

Very pleased. Even though not a growler in the true, fresh sense, bottle didn't seem to apply since this was not the 12 oz. or 22 oz bomber.

BamaScholar, Nov 27, 2005