Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev -3%

A - Pours a clear brown with a slight amber glow. Big bubbled white foam head is easy to overpour. Dissipates pretty quickly to just a light, broken covering. No lacing.
S - Light aroma of brown sugar with a hoppy kick. A slight background of alcohol is also present.
T - Nice hop kick with a grassy finish. The hops take over on this one.
M - Close to medium carbonation and body. Slight bite around tongue that lasts. Feels smooth.
D - I really like the hop levels. Very nice punch you're not to miss. I could drink a few of these.

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured into a standard pint glass from a 12 oz. bottle. No freshness dating.

A- Hazy orange/copper color with a light, barely off-white bubbly head that disipates quickly to a moderately sticky lacing.

S- Bready malt aromas dominate with a faint lemony or other citrus scent (aroma hops)in the background. Nothing outstanding.

T- Smooth malty flavors on the front, with a mild hoppy citrus "bite" on the swallow. A slight sourness lingers. The flavor profile is very well balanced.

M- A little slick on the palate. Moderate body. Very nice.

D- This is a very flavorful ale. I could (and am going to right now) drink a few of these in a sitting.

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

Exceptional Beer! Of course, that's what I've come to expect with all the Rogue Beers. The Orange Yellow color of this beer is lively and the taste.... Rockin'! I've had this beer in a 22oz and 12 oz bottle as well as in Draft... preferred the draft. Looking forward to trying the 3 liter! Can't go wrong with these beers... you will NOT be disappointed!

Get this on Tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Augusta!

3.72/5  rDev -5.8%

Short Version:
Not bad but less than I expected from Rogue. Malty sweetbread up front with med-light body, slight seltzery metallic twang, with mild bitter dry finish.

Details:
No date on this thing so I can't tell if it's fresh or dead (pardon the pun). Picked it up as a mix-n-match sixer at the local Ingles grocery (god bless'm). Some of the ones I've gotten this way have been a little long in the tooth.

Poured a 12 into my pint glass and watched. It poured a medium-to-deep copper brown color with a 1" sudsy/soapy looking head. The smell was strong of a warm yeasty bread dough with a sweet ripe fruit maltiness behind it. Maybe like a raisin bread. And crazy as it may sound, I'm picking up a hint of the smell you get from inside a Crayola crayon box. Just a hint but the smell-nostalgia bone was tickled for sure.

Head proved to have decent staying power and reasonable lace but nothing to write home about in the end.

Body was surprisingly on the light side of medium. Taste was malty for sure with a little bit of a seltzery metallic tone to it. Still picking up some yeasty sweetbread in the taste. A little hop action going on to keep the malt honest but not a hoppy beer by any stretch.

Finish is slightly sweet and dry and fades into a mildly bitter and astringent aftertate.

Drinkability is good. A tad sweet to throw down too many but it was tasty for sure.

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

Had this on a bottle. Poured unto a pint glass.

Appearance = one finger of head, slowly works down to beer algae; head has an off-white color; no lacing; nice carbonation (small bubbles rising); light amber color.

Smell = mild smell; can smell sweet malt and hop; a bit of alcohol; maybe a hint of passion fruit.

Taste = a very nice balance with a little bit of hops; a little bitter; a little bit of malt; a hint of honey; a hint of alcohol; a little flowery. Again, all of it in great balance. Nothing overwhelms.

Mouthfeel = smooth, medium mouthfell; can feel carbonation on tongue but not overstated.

Very nice brew. Just solid, well-balanced. BTW, goes amazingly well with a buttery, toasty Reuben sandwich (w/ swiss cheese).

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

This beer was poured into an Imperial pint glass at 52° from a 12 ounce bottle. There was no date information on the bottle. There was a little over 2 fingers of creamy white head which lasted approximately 4 minutes. A slight amount of foam stayed on the glass as the head dissipated. The beer was a very slight hazy light orange tea color.

I thought there was a hop smell with the pour but when sensing the bouquet it was more of sweet malt with hops lingering in the background.

Hops were more prevalent in the taste with the bitterness being quickly noticeable. The malt kicked in later on further tasting. It was very interesting to sense one and then the other and then vice versa.

The interesting integration of aroma and taste resulted in a successful marriage in the mouth also. There was also a slight warming sensation from the alcohol. This was rather a nice arrangement.

Overall this was a well combined effort with the senses having a go at the hops, malt, and alcohol presence. There was not a lot of lacing later on but it is still a keeper, at least for a little while.

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours amber-brown, whte head drops cleanly. Aroma is dark fruits over a malt base. Flavor is toasted malt with some bitter hops coming through at the finish. Alcohal warmth is not over-powering but more than expected for 6.6% ABV. A nice beer I'd have again.

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from bottle (glow-in-the-dark!) into pilsner glass.
A: A cloudy burnt orange with a thin creamy white head. Light carbonation. Yeast sediment.
S: Caramel and malt. A sweetly intoxicating aroma.
T: Strong malt backbone with notes of caramel, toffee, and a hint of citrus.
M: Very smooth. Medium body. Coats the tongue and lingers nicely.
D: Extraordinarily drinkable. Excellent sessionability. One is definitely not enough. Very nice taste, not very complex, but very smooth. Another winner for Rogue!

2.62/5  rDev -33.7%

Cloudy reddish brown pour. Typically smell similar to the few other heller bocks i've had. Sweet, tart taste and smell of dried fruit and honey with a touch of bitterness too. Best one I've had of the style, but it's still not one of my favorites. I will say this grew on me a little bit, but I don't see buying it again still.

Poured this beer into a pint glass. It poured an amber color with a white 3-finger head that left no real laceing and went away quickly. The smell of this beer was malts with just a hint of honey and light floral hops. The taste gave way to a little more hops with more of a malt and honey aftertaste. The mouthfeel was light and crisp, and the overall drinkability of this beer is decent. Not the best beer I've had, but definatly will be one to pick up agian.

3.47/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on draft at the Frisco Grille, Columbia, MD.

A- Pours a deep gold, very hazy, lots of sediment, nice white head.

S- Very fruity and spicy for a Maibock.

T- Definitely unlike any Maibock I've tasted. I've drank this beer a number of times from the bottle, about the same on tap, maybe a tad less malty.

M- Pretty smooth, little carbonation, medium in body.

D- A fairly drinkable beer, I do not consider this to be an example of a Maibock though.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Very bitter for a Maibock. But quite nice taken on its own merits.

A: Color is halfway between copper and gold. Mine had a slight chill haze. The head is thick and white. Leaves nice lace behind.

S: Quite floral. Toffee and lemongrass were what I noticed most.

T: The alcohol comes on strong, despite the beers modest ABV. Hop bitterness is very high, but not overpowering. Malt flavor is light. Bitterness lingers into a somewhat dry finish. Excellent taste, but heavy bitterness is not what I expect of a Maibock.

M: Medium-heavy body. Right amount of carbonation.

D: A little too much for me to want more than one at a time. I'd go back to this again, however. Would go well with highly seasoned food.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours an unstable amber color with a light head that is gone within a minute. My first impression of the smell and taste is the strong taste of sweet Munich malt. It revs up your taste buds for a uphill climb into some fairly bitter hops. This is the first Maibock I've had so that was somewhat of a surprise for me. The combination of these characters lingers in your mouth for many seconds after you've had a sip and after a while you're left only with the bitter, but I was impressed with how long I was able to retain a very clear sensation of the beer. They did a great job of getting the malt character out of the beer- it's like it's breathing Munich but smoking hops- two opposing pleasures in one glass.

</metaphorzz>

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

A-Poured a slightly hazy, frosted copper-amber and formed a rich, frothy beige head that sank into a cap and left nice, small, detailed lacing on the edges of the glass.

S-Spice, citrus, candied fruit, American hops, and a hint of fresh dirt w/minerals. Caramel malts also shine through.

T-The soft toasted malts dominate the attack, and cede their place somewhat to the fruit-spice around mid-palate, and the finish brings out the hops and the smooth, earthy traits. A few moments later, the spice reemerges. All the flavors are soft, with none dominating, and each in a state of contained equilibrium. At any point, one flavor is more apparent than the rest, but you can taste them all to some degree. --Had to come back to edit. Now I'm picking up fresh veggies on the back of my tongue.

M-Carbonation is pretty steady, and I'm drinking this one pretty cold, and it's good. The body is on the lower end of medium, and goes well with the flavors and carbonation. This stuff is pretty good.

D-I really enjoyed this one. I will definitely buy this one again, and so far, it's my favorite from this brewery. Props to Inebrio for recommending this one.

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Light amber in color; minimal to average head produced when poured into a pint glass from the bottle. Head faded fast but left good lacing throughout.

S: Nothing particularly special. If you swirl well you can get a hint of hops.

T: An interesting mix of hops and malts. I don't know that I would call them balanced, but definitely equal in strength. Great sweet caramel malt flavors with nice citrus hops and minimal lingering hop flavor.

M&D: On the light side of 'medium' bodied but full flavored. Even with all the flavors going on this still goes down easy and intensely enjoyable.

I tried hard to be objective reviewing this ale. I waited a long time to review it because it is one of my personal favorites. I can't put my finger on it but man, this is good! I like the maltiness but I also like that bitter citrus finish and this one has them both without being too refined. Perhaps that's what I like about it - it's just a little rough around the edges and I like it. One of my favorite standbys after a long day at work.

4.02/5  rDev +1.8%

I like this one quite a bit. Much better than their American Amber. Aroma is mainly malty with some light grapefruit, apricot, grapes, and yeast. Pours a medium cloudy amber with a small off-white head that goes away. Flavor is good, sweet throughout with a nice alcoholic bite in the finish. Quite nice. I would by this again and serve to dinner guests, well worth getting a sixxer if you can find one.

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

The beer pours a golden orangish amber color. A creamy head quickly dissolves into a ring around the glass.
The beer has a spicy fruit smell with some definite malts coming through.
Medium bodied mouthfeel, creamy and slightly high carbonation.
An immediate carmel and hops taste up front. This beer tastes just as it smells, the slight sweet, fruitiness or citrus flavors come through and the malty feel/taste bursts with each sip.
Overall, this is a really good beer. You can definitely compare this to a German-bock-style beer, though it has a far bigger malt flavor and smell than anything I've had in this style. I like to smell my beer before each sip, and each time I smell this beer, I think of how grains smell in the mashing stage of brewing - filling the room with that awesome roasting grain smell. This beer is very drinkable. Tastes good, goes down smooth.

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a bomber.

A - Poured an orange amber color, with a two finger head of actively foamy bubbles. Lacing was excellent on this one, nice and sticky.

S - Fruity with hints of lemon and orange. Also a bready malty scent.

T - Sweet and spicy with the hops, nice balance. Warm and inviting you to take another sip.

M - Medium bodied, with zesty carbonation. Very refreshing.

D - This is a very drinkable brew. I threw back 3 of them in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl! G-MEN Baby!!

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz picked up at the Coop last week for about $1.40.. reviewed tonight while doing some work for tomorrow.

2" very lite tan head above a crystal clear amber brew.

Hoppy for the first 2-3 minutes but subsides to a toasty maltiness with a slight tinge of fruitiness and bigger than average spicy hop aroma.

Flavor mirrors the aroma, but the toasted notes are much more pronounced.. a little earth helps balance with a touch of spicy hop flavor.. the body is a solid medium with good carbonation to the last sip.

Dead Guy is a brew that I pass on nearly every time I see it at the store... "Is it a maibock? is it not?" It is probably a very clean malt dominant brew with a slight cold conditioning... I probably should pick it up more often, but it is sorta in my "Fat Tire" category.. I used to drink it all the time 6-7 years ago and got burnt out on it... overall, a beer that deserves more respect than I give it.

4.17/5  rDev +5.6%

An interesting ale indeed. Picked up a single a while ago and couldn't remember how it tastes so I got another one. Due to the lack of a chilled glass I am having this one strait out of the bottle, but even still its a wonderful tasting beer. Maybe a touch overcarbonated, and I agree with another reviewer about this beer, its a nice ale, but nothing that reaches out and tells you its a Rouge Ale.

3.28/5  rDev -17%

I first sampled this beer about twelve years ago when I was young and stupid and drank purely for quantity; needless to say I hated it. I'm interested to see how it does now that I have something resembling taste (at least I like to think I do).

The Dead Guy pours a lively copper with a strong orange hue at the bottom. An impressive head lasts about three minutes to capping but does leave thick, cream colored lacing. Nose reflects some faint fruits and medium malts but nothing really stands out.

A sharp hoppiness at the front of the mouth is accompanied by a less than desireable metal flavor that continues through the finish. Malt is more in the backround than I would expect and fruitiness is almost non-existant. Mouthfeel is above average but also undone by the metal.

Without the unfortunate metallic flavors this would be a quite delicious quencher and fairly sessionable. As it is I probably won't go out of way for this one any time soon.

3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

The visuals are there; the nose isn't.
Especially for a bock bier. I'd love more of a nose. No matter how much I inhaled, I thought my smeller detected a beer.

Flavor was not especially noteable-- yes it was congenial. There was plenty of nice ale character- noted bitterness although I couldn't point out the exact hops used. Finish was clean with a smooth glide to the horizon but something was lacking.

mouthfeel was nothing to complain about.

Drinkability- I could guzzle a six-pack on the spot. The only thing I'm grousing about is that the over-all flavor could use a signature-- a wart on the miller's nose, a something that says "ROGUE BREWERY"..

Still, if you want to enjoy an ale- here's one to reach for.

3.72/5  rDev -5.8%

12 oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance was a murky brownish orange with no real head and no lacing. Smell took a while to get used to, probably because I am unaccustomed to this particular style of beer. The smell is mainly of caramel and fruit, though I detected some veggies in there. "Organic" is a word that comes to mind, though not in the sense that it is used today. It just smells of things found in nature. Taste is very interesting. I haven't had anything quite like it before. Pretty well balanced. Malts, fruits, some vegetables, and yeast. Medium bodied and very carbonated. I've never had anything quite like this before. I must try this and other examples of the style again sometime to get a better grasp of how this one holds up.

4.41/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Malone's bar and grille in Harrisburg, PA.

A- A bright rusty colored brown with little head when poured.

S-it smells a little sweet with a hint of aroma hops that tickles the nose.

T- dry yet juicy with flavor that pale ale should taste like. Not too hoppy but just enough to give a great flavor.

M- burst of hops hits the palate and goes down smoothly.

D-first time i have had the beer and i want another. I would like to have a sixer of this for the weekend.

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured into standard shaker pint glass. Color was a slightly cloudy reddish brown that has a 2 finger thick head. The head disappaited very quickly but clinged to the side and left a ring around the top. Aroma smelled hoppy with small hints of lemon and spice. Tasted clean, slightly bitter, and also oakey. Mouthfeel was good. Coated well, slightly carbonated. Went down well, and was easy to drink. Alcohol wasn't too strong.

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales