Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
donnebaby

4.03/5  rDev +2%

Dark cloudy red brown, with almost nothing in terms of head after moments. Nose is low malts and spice. Roasted cinnamon. Taste, too, has a cinnamon sweetness. Nice, isolated compact hop bitterness in the aftertaste. Combination of sweet and bitter leveled in the excellent mouthfeel, thick and bodyful. Carbonation bubbles away softly until the taste is ransacked by the hops. Not my favorite Rogue beer as far as taste goes, but great complexity and drinkability.

10-05-2004 02:55:13 | More by donnebaby
twelvsies

Maine

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

Nothing amazing about the appearance; standard brownish-amber color, bit of head on there. What can I say, it looks like a beer. But it smells great. This is a straight-up ale. Sometimes I find a lot of ales that are pretty hoppy, more like a pale ale, but this one is true to style, more like a bock or something. A mild, sweet aroma. That sweetness definately comes out in the taste, quite malty and "spring" tasting. I can picture a bunch of skeletons brewing this stuff up in Oregon. Feels very smooth and creamy (but not thick) in the mouth. I could drink this shit till I'm dead. Sorry that was lame. Let's just say that this is a solid, well balanced, and outstanding beer. Good bye.

10-01-2004 17:47:37 | More by twelvsies
beragg

Iowa

4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

I had never had this brand before and was lucky enough for a fellow BA to bring this over to my place. This beer poured an autumn brown with a good head. It's aroma definitely was enticing with a floral hops character. It's taste was extremely smooth, which some might say as a macro beer slogan, but definitely isn't a bad thing. It was just the right sweetness with just the right bitter of hops. It felt great in the mouth not too thick not too thing. This is a beer I could drink more than one, but it's a little higher in alcohol so how much more is another question.

09-30-2004 00:56:07 | More by beragg
crookedhalo

3.95/5  rDev 0%

22 oz. bomber. Pours a slightly turbid bronzy copper color with a nice light beige head. Malty, rich and fruit-like and candy-like hop aromas in the aroma. Malt sweetness hits the palate like a ton of bricks, mixed with some plum-skin like fruitiness, and the hops work well to counterbalance the sweet malt. The hops are pungent, but the malt is moreso. This has always been a very nice beer. An interesting hybrid between the maltiness of a bock and the hoppiness of many West Coast beers (this being one of them). Works out well.

09-20-2004 04:57:40 | More by crookedhalo
bignick

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

This is quite a tasty beer. It pours an amber color with a fair amount of lace. It smells of sweet, fruity malt. This is certainly not an overhopped ale like many of the popular west coast ales, as the taste is more dominated by the malty sweetness. I taste a very slight tropical fruit taste too, which is quite intriguing. The carbonation cleans the palate quite nicely. I would have no problem drinking many of them...it is a very drinkable beer.

09-20-2004 04:28:09 | More by bignick
RedwoodGeorge

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

This is a pretty nice ale... The pour was very inviting - the beer is a deep orange-brown that made me think we were halfway to a brown ale. There was a large, inviting white head which slowly melted away, leaving lots of lacing on the inside of the glass.

The smell was inviting as well - good notes of fruit, malt and grassy hops made for a tempting nose. The taste lived up to the promise - tangy malt, hints of apricot and a nice dry hop finish. The carbonation danced on the tongue, cleaning the palate and inviting more sips.

Quite a drinkable brew - good flavor, wonderful color and an inviting nose. What more could you want?

09-16-2004 05:12:19 | More by RedwoodGeorge
skybluewater

4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

From a 22oz bomber, pours a clear amber color, massive foamy head that takes forever to recede to a thin ring. Oddly enough, lacing doesn't appear until the second pour (what's up with that?). Smells like bread just out of the oven and cotton candy-very unique, at least to me, but very nice. Tastes of heavenly sweet malt and the caramelized parts of a loaf of good bread.

Very tasty brew here, one I could happily sip all day (or night actually) long.

09-12-2004 13:27:42 | More by skybluewater
Gagnonsux

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Wow, I'm really glad I got around to trying this beer. Dead Guy Ale pours a dark and slightly hazy amber color. The head is light brown and lightly creamy. Head height is average. Smell is nice and malty. It has that sweet, bready aroma. Taste is excellent! Flavor is initially malty sweet, then the nice, slightly bitter hops kick in and really balance this brew out. Finish is a tasty, sweet blend of hops and malts. It seems like every sip I notice something new about this beer. Mouthfeel is right on, and drinkability only suffers from the filling nature of Dead Guy Ale. For me this beer is a "must try".

09-08-2004 01:44:13 | More by Gagnonsux
AndIWantYou

Washington

2.63/5  rDev -33.4%

Cardboard and honey. That's all I get from this beer. I didn't like it last time I tried it, but I thought perhaps my tastes had matured to the point where I'd enjoy it. I was, unfortunately, wrong.

It looks and smells like a beer I should enjoy, and I typically like sweetness in my beers, but this is almost cloying and definitely has some "off" notes. Mouthfeel is nice, though, with a bit of creaminess. Overall, the more I drink it, the more palatable it gets, but I can't recommend this brew.

(Maybe this is how a maibock is supposed to taste; your mileage may vary.)

08-26-2004 02:14:35 | More by AndIWantYou
afinepilsner

Iowa

3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

this beer poured a orange brown that reminded me of a dark iced tea.The inch head quickly disapeared with no lacing at all.
The smell was lightly of malt with a hint of hops. When tasting the malt comes through with a light hop taste. Lightly sweet. The body is medium to light. This is an easy drinking beer that I could have several in one sitting.

08-23-2004 01:52:55 | More by afinepilsner
bigbeerdrinka

Germany

Pours a deep coppery orange color with a firm white head about an inch thick that leaves a nice lace on the glass. Aromas consist of sweet caramel, some toasty malts, and a bit of zesty hop. Initial flavors consist of a bit of citrus flavoring followed by a wide arrange of malts which leave a multitude of flavors ranging from toffee, to biscuit, some caramel sweetness, and a doughy bread like flavor. There is also a nice estery yeast flavor in the mix which really adds some complex flavors to the brew. The finish is quite citrusy and zesty from a nice strong hop finish. Overall this brew is light to medium bodied with a refreshingly crisp carbonation that is almost biting on the tongue.

08-22-2004 21:57:13 | More by bigbeerdrinka
surfmeister

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

I didn't expect to like this one, but what a surprise!, copper color, sturdy head, malty and dried fruit in the bouquet, strong hop in the mouth, well balanced by malt and fruit complexity. Mouthfeel was a treat, very effervescent and foamy, higher carbonation than expected, I could drink many

08-20-2004 14:29:02 | More by surfmeister
ybnorml

Rhode Island

3.48/5  rDev -11.9%

This beer has a clean amber color with a small beige head. The aroma is lightly malty with a hint of grapefruit in the background. The taste has a serious sharp hop bitterness with, again, a hint of grapefruit sweetness somewhere in the middle. Has a crisp finish.

08-17-2004 12:37:01 | More by ybnorml
ramrod666

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

dead guy ale pours a copper color w/ a small head that fades to a ring.smell is slightly hoppy with stong malt in front. laced the glass nicely. taste was unimpresive. Think that the bottle is bad. extemely bitter, acrid taste. kind of like soda water with bitters added. surrely a bad bottle. with no way to tell age it is hard to tell how old this crap is. huge dissapointment. will re review when a fresh sample can be obtained.

08-15-2004 22:16:30 | More by ramrod666
Jacobob10

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Served in the bottle @ Bukowski's Tavern in Boston, MA.

Love the name of this beer, was always curious what it tasted like. Great aroma. Lots of citrus fruits that are balanced nicely by the malts. Nice, balanced, fruity taste as well. Very easy on the palate and highly enjoyable. A must try.

08-08-2004 14:38:58 | More by Jacobob10
BrewMan13

4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Bought a 6 of this awhile ago, finishing the last one now.
Appearance is a dark orange/light brown. What impresses me is that its not very dark, but you still cant see through it, a feature that I very much enjoy in beers that I might not expect it. Small head which slowly dissipates and no lacing.
I pick up on some (caramel?) malts in the nose, not much else cause my nose is a little stuffy today.
I think the 2 things that best describe the flavor is that it is well-balanced and subtley forceful. By the latter, I mean that it makes itself known, but without being obtrusive. I had this with some sausage and onion pizza, which I put garlic and hot pepper flakes on (I know, not a good pairing, especially for a review. As a rule, I seldom like to drink craft brews when I eat.) But despite of the powerful flavors in the meal that accompanied it, the flavor of the dead guy never seemed to waiver or submit. As I said, its a well done balance between the malts and hops...a feat I am thankfull for, not being a hophead. The slightly sweet malts are noticed 1st, with the hops making their presence known at the end and in the aftertaste, but not too much so.
Just the right amount of carbonation and smoothness in the mouthfeel. Very high drinkability, and a recommended brew for those who dont normally go for the hoppy stuff but still want something with a little bit of bite.

08-06-2004 20:17:26 | More by BrewMan13
mynie

Indiana

Nice in all aspects.

Pours a pretty amber color with a small head. Smells vaugely sweet with a hint of caramel and hops. Taste was very smooth, sweet and uncomplicated (perhaps the way that an ideal death should be?) with a very nice caramel aftertaste with a hint of fruit.

Full bodied, goes down like butter. High alcohol %, though, and since it's so smooth it's easy to drink too many of these...

08-03-2004 02:54:38 | More by mynie
RedDiamond

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev -15.7%

The first time I drank Dead Guy Ale, it was from a 22 oz. bomber. I enjoyed the cool-as-heck glow-in-the-dark bottle and thought that the beer was decent but not outstanding. I scribbled a few notes on my impressions but held off on writing a review. Last week I revisited the Dead Guy at Rogue’s waterfront brewery in Newport and was fairly disappointed. This beer is nice, but not as fantastic as Rogue’s other creations.

To begin with I was served from an old tap. The Rogue Brewer’s On The Bay alehouse is a world-class brewpub. But it’s still a tiny one-room place in a small town and it closes at 9PM. I can’t see that they do enough business, even in the peak of July tourist season, to justify 20 brews on tap. Without sufficient turnover, the beers go flat. I accept no excuses for a stale beers at a brewpub.

Dead Guy is not bad. Not bad at all. The pint I was served had almost no head, limited carbonation, and no lace whatsoever. It was a flat bronze color, clear but without luster. It had a light aroma of sweet malts and an adequate mouthfeel, but was nowhere up to Rogue’s customary high standards. It tastes well balanced and clean with a rounded malt profile and a punctual finish. But as the name might suggest, the Dead Guy lacks vitality.

07-29-2004 00:18:37 | More by RedDiamond
ken3c

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

I missed the pour but it was set in front of me as a clear medium amber in a frosted glass. Halo of foam wanted to leave a little lacing but for the damn frosted glass. The head was completely gone by about 2/3 down. It looked nice even considering the serving faux pax.

Aroma of roasted malt and touch of flowery hops. It should be quite tasty.

Very tasty with some subtle bonus flavors of fruits and and interesting chalky note. Slight crescendo of bitterness is quite welcome.

Quite a smooth mouthfeel with a medium to heavy body.

Very drinkable for a beer that heavy. The light carbonation might have something to do with it.

07-26-2004 04:13:46 | More by ken3c
mattcrill

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance: 12 oz bottle from World Market. Pours a hazy amber color with a white to tan head.

Smell: A balanced blend of hops and malt with some hints of alcohol and maybe some spice that brushes the nose.

Taste: Hops and malt both but more hops. It's got a sweet aftertaste but the first thing I taste is definitely the hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Very chunky and heavy. Overpowering carbonation which makes some of the nuances of the beer hard to pick up at times.

Drinkability: Ok for me. Seemed very filling and I'm not sure if I could have more than one of these in a sitting. A good representation of the style and certainly a well made brew but I probably won't be back for more.

07-24-2004 21:17:24 | More by mattcrill
misterscooter

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

A new favorite. It has been a while since I've had a Rogue and I'm glad I grabbed this one (again?). A great bottle and label with even better beer inside. It pours a nice, solid reddish amber with a head that holds its form well. Not too much strength in the smell, but it made me think of clean, fresh, mountain air (whatever that means, other than I couldn't put my finger on any one thing).

The taste is bold and oaky but very smooth, not over-powering. It sits well on the tongue and new flavors emerge as you easily hold it for more of a taste. One quick bite as it goes down and the glass comes up for another drink.

07-24-2004 03:54:59 | More by misterscooter
BJ1833

Kansas

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

22oz Bomber

Roasted malt aroma that's almost fruity. Taste is malty, but balanced, with a bitter hop finish. Medium body with good carbonation. Although smooth with a balanced flavor, you can easily taste the alcohol in this beer.

Overall a solid, great tasting beer that's easy to drink and a good representation of the style.

07-21-2004 21:01:33 | More by BJ1833
oxmasterscream

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a cloudy, dark amber with a dense head that dissipates quickly. Smells of sour apples, cherries and caramel malt - yum. Taste is plenty malty but is balanced nicely by spicy hops as well. Candy-esque tastes show through in different capacities as you drink it and it warms; whether it's the reported "cotton candy" or caramel apples. Finishes mildly bitter. On the tongue, it's medium to full and ever so smooth. A blanket of gentle carbonatin soothes the tongue. A great, highly drinkable, classic American micro that should be tried at least once by all. There's always room for some in my fridge.

07-21-2004 10:36:24 | More by oxmasterscream
wyllder

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%

On tap at the Moan and Dove, Amherst MA.

Pours a cloudy caramel amber with a modest head that recedes to leave a faint lacing on the glass as you go.

Nose is interesting. Malty. Lots of caramel going on here. Sugar too. After agitating and sniffing several times the scent I indentified was that of a Sugar Daddy. Very nice.

First hit on the palate is of faint, smoky hops. This is balanced out quickly with the Sugar Daddy flavor from the nose. There's more here though, and after a few sips and some more sniffing I figured it out: toasted marshmallow! The toasted marshmallow and sugar daddy flavors are beautifully intertwined and danced all over my palate.

Mouthfeel is smooth with medium carbonation. Despite flavors one would think of as being sticky or sugary, there's no sense of oversweetining on the palate. Well done.

Drinkability is great. I could easily see myself ordering more of these in the future.

Overall, a top-notch beer. In fact, the Randallized DFH 90 Minute I had after this tasted truly one-dimensional.

Wyll-

07-18-2004 23:16:38 | More by wyllder
waughbrew

3.48/5  rDev -11.9%

Auburn with a lot of highlights, nice head. Smell is of caramel malts. A good candiness in this brew, but a malt/hop interplay that is kind of annoying. Big body, smooth.

Like most of Rogue's stuff, this fails to impress me. I think I am narrowing it down to their odd bittering hoppage and the boring yeast. A good beer but not one that I am likely to return to.

07-12-2004 03:00:49 | More by waughbrew