Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Medium bodied, cloudy cinnamon/amber color kind of like unfiltered cider, nice beige head.

Aroma is hard to pin down - a lot of malt, caramel, toffee, apple with a piney hops tone.

Taste is toasted malt, caramel, toffee, fruit, maybe molasses all backed up by a very definite hops spice and bite with a lingering somewhat bitter aftertaste. Finishes dry, with a touch of alcohol warmth just asking for more..

Smooth as silk. Probably not for everyone but for those who like a lot of taste and a somewhat heavier ale, well worth a try. If you like it you'll want several.

whynot44, Oct 29, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Had a pint at the Landmark 1850 Inn in Milwaukee.

Appearance -- Dark, cloudy, amber. About a 1/4 " white head that quickly dissipated. Very watery lacing.

Smell -- To me it smelled strongly like bananas. Very pleasant and interesting.

Taste -- Slightly bitter but overall it was balanced nicely. I can pick up very faint tastes of fruit. Smooth, but overall I found it to be slightly boring. I should probably mention that I am a big time hop head.

Mouthfeel -- Medium to light feel. Nice carbonation.

Drinkability -- I could definitely have more than a few of these, but this is not one I'd seek out. A very good beer but it’s just not my "cup of tea."

ClearDog, Oct 28, 2005

I LOVE the look of this beer. Not much of a head, but it looks like a glass of high-quality honey. Fantastic colour.

And yes, I know it's been reviewed a lot, but I'm going to do it anyway.

One thing I was surprised about with this well-known beer is the smell -- there's not much of it. Weak grassy, malty sweetness, but not much else.

The taste, however, is another story. The first thing that hits me is the earth flavours -- almost reminds me of damp West Coast beach sand, and even though there's no grittiness in the beer, I can almost imagine it. Also flavours of ripe fruit, autumn leaves, with just the slightest hint of pleasantly bitter hops.

Mouthfeel is awesome: smooth, almost syrupy, with very little carbonation. Like the scent, the aftertaste is minimal. Maybe slightly bitter fruits and pine.

This is my first Dead Guy Ale, although I have another bottle in storage which I'll try again in a couple of weeks. Not quite as fantastic as I was expecting given its reputation (and given how much I adore Rogue Chocolate Stout), but still quite good, and I'll definitely pick it up again if I happen to see it.

crwills, Oct 27, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

Being from Canada I'm always concerned about the freshness of US micros exported to Canada (Where is Free Trade?) as they are always held in bond at Customs (Federal) before they are distributed to government (Provincial) run liquor outlets. All bureaucracy aside, this ale stood the test of time and I was duly rewarded. Poured to a carmel brown with a healthy lacing with slow retention. Wafts of nugmeg and other spices added to the experience. Had a dry feeling in your mouth, much like drinking cold tea (which is not a bad thing). Left me craving another. Freshness was not an issue.. Another excellent Rogue product. Well worth the potential bureaucratic quagmire.

beckerboots, Oct 26, 2005
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle that I picked up a few weeks ago.
Pours a nice copper color with a thin white head. No lacing…head disappears.
Smell is sweet, spicy and could even catch a smoked aroma in there.
Taste is good and complex. Sweetness could be of caramels that mutates into a smoked hoppy bitterness. The alcohol is present but not an in your face kick, a nice smooth warmth.
Mouthfeel is smooth.
Drinkablility = good.

LucaBrasi, Oct 26, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Got this in a 650ml bottle. Interesting mix of sweet and bitter malt. Hazy reddish/copper hue, with a nice quarter inch of white head and lacing. Smells of fruit, grass, maybe hints of hops. The taste is quite appetizing, somewhat spicy, a little sweet and fruity, caramel malts, maybe, and the bitterness kicks in towards the end, complete with a medium mouthfeel and a good amount of carbonation.Very fine aftertaste. As many have mentioned, it hides its alcoholic character quite well, so it's pretty drinkable. Overall, I like it a lot.

InDreams, Oct 26, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Well, this is my first Rogue and first Maibock. Pours a cloudy copper color with nice carbonation and alot of lacing. Scents of hops, citrus, spices. This brew has a very nice and unique taste of sweet/bitter malt. There's a medium body. The lacing just does not want to disappear. The brew is very drinkable at 6.5%, highly recommended.

Wasatch, Oct 26, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

This is some good beer. A little lighter flavor than I expected, but I really didnt know what to expect. Citrusy, hoppy, spicy, malty.

Had a grassy, citrusy, hoppy smell. Goes down a little too easy considering the almost 7% ABV. Proceed with caution.

I will revisit this one in the VERY near future again.

wingnutter, Oct 24, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +8.4%

Enjoyed on tap with dinner.

Appearance: A hazy copper color with a medium-thin head that fades to a sticky lace which persists well.

Aroma: Fruity smell with hint of hops. Smells rather appetizing.

Taste is quite simply delicious. On tap this brew has a complexity to it that I never detected the several times that I have enjoyed it out of the bottle. A new spiciness was clearly present and the taste and mouthfeel progressed smoothly from inital sweetness, then a slight bitterness that left a great aftertaste. The carbonation was just right and contributed to the smoothness.

The first time I ever sampled this brew I wasn't particularly impressed, but it has grown on me since and I really enjoyed it on tap. Definitely recommended.

mitchfor3, Oct 23, 2005
3.95/5  rDev 0%

Paint me a picture of this poured into a pilsener glass and its man hole material. Lively off white head that chunks its way down the glass giving way eventually to a thin sheeted cover. Copper with reddish hue and well supported by medium carbonation.

Sweet fruits, soft malts and slightly candied smells.

This brew is decisively balanced. Had all the smells wrapped in a package and then cleansed by a solid quick hop hit. Caramel comes through followed by the big bodied malt flavors mixed with some dark fruits, sizzled in by a stingy carbonation and mellowed out back to some toasted malts that linger and blend nicely with the subtle hop finish.

Damn fine brew. Another winner from Rogue. Mouthfeel of most rogue beers to me seem so rich and creamy but not overbearing. Above average in this style and one I've gone back to again and again. You can never go back to the well too many times with this.

DogFood11, Oct 22, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Caveat Emptor: I haven't had a Maibock except for this one (which I've tried a few times). This has a rather nice smell. I can't quite tell the individual components of it, but it seems to be dominated by a sweet malty smell with a bit of hops. It tastes good. It starts of fairly sweet and then finishes with a taste that I can't quite put my finger on. It's pleasant though. The carbonation is decent, but nothing amazing. It goes down pretty easy too, but the aftertaste can get a bit strong after a while so I don't see myself drinking more than two at a time.

unknownlamer, Oct 18, 2005
3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

I really like this beer -- it's not my all-time favorite, but it is a reliable go-to whenever I need something bracingly good to break me out of the mild and mediocre.

This one has a reddish-brown body with a thin brown-white head that disappears immediately. Being a fan of a good long-lasting head (heh), I take off a few points for that, but then again, it's a decent beer to look at.

The aroma is very inviting, with a malty caramel presence up-front with mild hops that is quite pleasant. When I first tasted this beer I found the hop presence overwhelming to the nose, but over time I began to enjoy it and now I find the hoppiness minimal. The sweetness really stands out in the nose here.

The taste is nicely balanced, with the caramel sweetness mixed with nice hoppiness. In my notes I listed this beer as "flavorful, arousing, and highly pleasant". I'm pretty sure that I meant "arousing" in a perfectly clean sense, but I'm listing it just in case anyone feels it might have aphrodisiacal properties.

Medium body with medium carbonation, and the hops at the end give this one a nice pleasant aftertaste. Again, when first tasting this brew I found the aftertaste overwhelming, but I have quickly grown to love it.

Overall drinkability solid. I find this to be a near-perfect dinner beer -- those new to the beer might want to give it a few tries, as the overall quality of the beer can sneak up on you when you're not looking.

danielharper, Oct 17, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

10/16/05- Purchased in Jackson Hole, WY.

Presentation- 22oz bottle with no dating imprinted on the bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearnace- Darker amber colored pour. 3/4 inch head with above average lace.

Smell- Mid range semi sweet caramel malt scents as well as a small bitter hop presence.

Taste- Weird. Almost reminescent of Three Philosophers, yet without the 10% abv. Has a strange, but nice chocolate raspberry flavor. Caramel malts with a pretty heavy dark chocolate fruit taste. The hops come out at the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation.

Drinkability- Couldn't even find word one about this beer. Don't even know if it's a Pale Ale or not. I just know it was pretty damn good. Different and quenching.

GClarkage, Oct 17, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

I must have had a bad bottle of this a year ago which turned me off for a while. A nice beer for that transition from hot to cold (or vice versa, as intended for the style). I don't have a ton of experience with bocks, but this seemed like a pretty good take on the style, having recently had Einbecker's various versions.

Poured into a pilsener glass: a nice copper / honey hue, initially a good deal of bubbles sticking to the sides, with a decent head of slightly large bubbles which quickly faded, leaving no trace behind.

The smell is surprisingly strong, until you remember that this one has about 40 IBUs--not much of the malt comes through except a bit of pears, apricots, peaches, and caramel. No toffee notes. 6 kinds of hops here--i sure can't distinguish them. Basically smells grassy to me, maybe a bit of citrus. I ought to buy some hops and practice smelling them!

Quite a refreshing, bitter impact that lingers until the back of the throat. The caramel comes through a bit more, which nicely balances the hop punch. Finish is dry, not cloying. No trace of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium, a good deal of carbonation. Not too tacky.

Quite drinkable--perhaps a bad thing due to it's 6.5 abv! Easily a session beer and could go with many foods.

A nicely balanced, refreshing beer--bracing enough for 50 degree nights. I have no idea why it's Dead Guy ALE.

fromage, Oct 15, 2005
3.23/5  rDev -18.2%

I didn't know the style of this beer when reviewed, so that was not taken into consideration. Knowing now it is a maibock, it does a pretty good job of fitting the bill.

Darkish honey with plentiful but not overly rambunctious off-white head that subsides as a thin film. Smells of sweet caramel malts and a hint of hop.

Sweet honey and caramel with perhaps a hint of of munich malt. Delicate hop bitterness is perhaps a bit underbalanced. Some tangy notes after malts. Pleasant moderately thick body with very light carbonation.

Ok, but not all that great, I won't go out of my way for it, but I'll take it if offered.

sopor, Oct 14, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

This is my first review...so take that into account.

When pouring into a pint glass the head is found to be a bit lacking. However it looks great once it's there. A nice dark coppery color. It has a nice mild spicy smell to it. Taste wise I've often likend it to "opium in a bottle". It has a mild hoppy bite, and tastes absolutely wonderful. I could drink it all day, and never get tired of it. I've often sold people on it because it's similar (somewhat) to Arrogant Bastard.

Not for the feint of heart, or the novice beer drinker.

lordbrad1, Oct 11, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

this is a totally biased review - dead guy is one of my favorites and rogue never lets me down

looks good. crimson orange, brief head.

smells tasty, full, spicy and inviting.

tastes scrumptious. everything i want out of a beer. awesome.
excellent. this is highly drinkable but also high abv ! caution.

davidchollar, Sep 30, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

It's hard to find a really good maibock. Dead Guy Ale is exceptional. Very full mouthfeel with the perfect balance of hops and malts. And lots of both. This beer doesn't mess around. This is the best maibock I've tasted since Wurzberger's Maibock and I don't even know if that is produced anymore. The only drawback to the beer is it's $11 a six pack. Steep price for an American beer.

bigdeuce, Sep 30, 2005
3.95/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: beautiful deep amber and cloudy with a 1.5 finger creamy head that somewhat quickly died down to a sparsely large-bubbled creamy disk of foam

Smell: The nose here has citrus and rich smelling malts, and I swear some hint of banana, but that’s very slight and only after swirling to expose to the air.

Taste: fat malts fill the mouth on this one with a very delayed hop finish ending moderately bitterly. Tastes nicely balanced with plenty of malt and plenty of hops. Neither one collides with the other. Long after the hops have died… like two minutes after a drink, there is a very nice malt aftertaste left over. Caramelly.

Mouthfeel: chewy and full, very pleasant.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Balanced.

xoqx, Sep 28, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Had this on tap at On-Tap in Birmingham.

Pours dark brown with a decent amount of head which soon settles. Leaves a great lacing on the glass.

The first thing noticable about the taste is the sweetness of the malts, but the hops balance very nicely. Noticable alchohol taste, with a great meduim mouthfeel. This is a great beer which is even better on tap.

BurnsTau, Sep 28, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Have had Dead Guy Ale several times, probably due to the unique bottle. In the past, however, I've never paid it the close attention that it deserves. Also it's price in this part of the country has steered me away. Miss those days out west when I could get a sixer for $5.50. Here it's almost twice as much. Anyways:

D.G.A. pours a reddish-amber color with a pillowy half inch white head. Slow but rising bubbles are noteable in the glass. Lacing is decent.

It has a sweet and buttery aroma to go along with an impressively strong malt presence. Some hops are accounted for, but not terribly noticeable upon first whiff.

The taste is sharp and relatively bitter. Malt and caramel hit the tongue impressively. Fruit (do I detect plum?) soon follows. The hops are well balanced, laced within a fruity/sweet overall flavor. Alcohol is noticeable in the throat, adding a bit of a stinging sensation--but taking nothing away from an overall enjoyable experience.

In the mouth, Dead Guy is full and moderately carbonated. There is not a terribly bitter aftertaste, but the caramel and alcohol presences linger nicely.

Overall, this is a very good and filling beer. Good flavor, impressive appearance and very well balanced overall. Too bad it costs too damn much to make it a regular.

macpapi, Sep 25, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

A great looking two finger head with a dark coppery look.When I picture an ale in my mind I picture this color.Too many ales are to light in my opinion.A full spiced ale, but not an overwhelming taste,just right.This is a great ale from on of the best brewers in America.

jmz62565, Sep 24, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Slightly hazy, maple-caramel colour toped by a short, dense, cream head that showed a bit of lacing. Grainy, caramel maltiness in the aroma, with fruity undercurrants. Hops are restrained, but there is a bit of grassiness. Bitterness hits you right away, while the rest of the flavours seem to complement this character as they appear and fade away. Toasted malt shows up next, followed by a bit of plum and light spicy, herbal hops. Caramel and pleasant alcohol appear at the end and carry through the finish, at which point the bitterness finally starts to fade. Soft carbonation is well integrated with the texture, which starts to dry out in the middle, but this fades in the finish. Fully bodied without being sticky. Lingering alcohol warmth at the finish as well. All around, this is a really enjoyable beer with just enough complexity to keep me coming back.

DrJay, Sep 24, 2005
3.55/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. Pours a glowing orange with a thin white head that quickly goes to a bubbly collar that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is caramel malts and some grassy hops and a little fig.

The flavor is caramel/toffee malts and a little sweet fruitiness. Bitterness is barely perceptible, but helps balance the sweetness and leads to a dry finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth.

Overall, a well-made beer, but it doesn't do a lot for me.

Beaver13, Sep 20, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

Now this is a nice ale. Strange they call it a Maibock. The Skeleton guy on the bottle looks cool.

Pours a deep copper color with a wispy egshell head and minimal lace. The aroma is a beautifully clean and fresh maltiness. Hops take second chair in the nose, they are herbal and citrusy. This beer has a complex malt structure thats well balanced with PacNW hops. I taste christmas cake, tangerines, cinamon raison bread, raspberry jam and tea. Theres a pleasant hop bitterness that lingers in the very long finish. The mouthfeel is thick and mouthcoating. Alcohol flavors are complimentary and never distracting.

Wow! I was expecting a good beer and this exceeded my expectations. It has all the characteristics of a kick ass session beer, maybe a little high ABV though.

CAMRAhardliner, Sep 16, 2005