Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

Golden brown hazy body with some carbonation. Off-white level head of tiny to small bubbles. Decent retention and lace.
Grass, dough, butter and abit of pepper in the nose.
Well balanced and gentle. Bread and a little hay with butter and pepper again. Mild hoppy aftertaste of good duration.
Good moderate body with abit of coating. Hydrating finish.
Good drinkability, mild mannered and gentle.

-Oelergud

3.23/5  rDev -18.2%

Bottled. I drank a bit of this a few years ago but have not had any recently until this week. Just poured a bottle. Pours and smells a basic Pale Ale. Flavor seems slightly more malt directed than others. It is good and refreshing. Not a favorite but not crap either.

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Pours out a really nice cloudy brown amber with three fingers of white suds that leave lots of lacing around the tulip glass.
Smell is caramel and lemon with mabey a hint of grapefruit. A floral smell accompanies the yeast burn and the alcohol is hidden well in the back there.
Taste is a mellow sweetness of candy sugar and grapefruit darkness. Way more heavy on the sugars. The alcohol is very present here.
Mouthfeel is pretty nice but I would want more of a hop bitterness here.
Still all in all, this is a good session beer. I will be drinking all 6 of these bad boys.

Appearance: shades of gold and orange with a ever so slight touch of red. This beer almost glows in the glass. Nice two-finger head and sticky lacing.

Smell: hoppy, malty and caramel. Sweet essence of fruit such as oranges and evergreen citrus. Very nice aroma

Taste/mouthfeel: nice hop characteristics and good malt balance. Very agreeable sweetness and spice. I have to give it up for this one! I does kind of remind me of a oktoberfest type of beer, mostly due to the tasty malt flavor. Has nice clean, sharp finish and accomplished carbonation. Just a super well rounded brew.

Downright drinkable and splendid taste

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

Dead Guy does pretty good all the way around. Gives of a lot of CO2 for a good light tan head and retains very well. Medium bodied with a dark golden amber hue. Gives off aromas of grapes, molasses, and a weird coppery aroma like pennies. This tastes very sweet and malty. There's a dominant molasses flavor here, too. This ale feels very warm and inviting with each sip. I feel more alive than dead while drinking this concoction.

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

After being poured from the bottle, Dead Guy appears a translucent amber. The head was okay with a slightly off white head.

The smell is loud with touches of sweetness.

Dead Guy has a unique taste, that is over powering at first. The taste that stands out most is the hops. Although, there is a sweet and roast flavor to the after taste.

This beer has a powerful amount of carbonation, but it is generrally mild in how heavy it feels.

Dead Guy is so strong that it was kind of hard to drink. But overall it is a very unique and interesting taste.

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz bottle. Pours a very cloudy deep rusty copper type color with a small off white bubbly head that immediatly fades.
The nose is filled with goopy caramel sweetness accented by fruity and yeasty notes. The fruity aromas are something similar to dried peaches and a dull citrus type character.
The taste is smooth and full of malty sweetness followed with a small hop presence that contains fruity tastes that are not unlike the ones I picked up in the nose. This beer leaves a lasting malty flavor on your tongue after each sip.
The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a good solid level of carbonation.
This is an easy to drink beer, very smooth and the different flavors blend nicely.

4.78/5  rDev +21%

I'll tell you, this is climbing to be my favorite beer very quickly. There is just almost nothing wrong with it.

Appearance is a medium copper with a light tan head that bubbles down to a scattered surface of foam; but lasts a decent time. Very pleasing to the eyes.

Smell represents the overall malt flavor of the beer.

There is just something about the taste of this beer that makes me happy. It might be too caramely for some but this beer just rides the line of too sweet with me but maintains such craving for me.

Mouthfeel leaves very little to be improved upon. Perfect carbonation, perfect consistency.. easy to drink.

Drinkability has varied for me. Some nights, I can drink it all night. Other nights, leave me forcing down that 3rd glass, haha.

If you've never had this... GET IT

4.7/5  rDev +19%

I think y'all know what this beer is about. I lucked into a sale at 7.99/6 at the Lowes in Calabash, NC on 1/29/07.They also had the Red and the Amber on sale as well. Anyway, awesome malty flavor with a strong hoppy kick at the end...this batch was in 6 pack form...no dates whatsoever on the packaging so I have no idea of the actual production date. The last time I found this was in bomber form in Cloudcroft, NM a coupla yrs ago...I turned some of my bud lite friends onto this and they loved it...so if you have it at yr local groc get it...kill if you must...Have a nice day!!!

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

Last time I had this was years ago, and I had to dump it because it gave me a massive headache.

Nice copper-light brown colour with a light cream head. Sort of a funny, sweet and sour smell of malts. Light, refreshing hop presence.

Syrupy malt flavour and good hops. A hint of spicyness and alcohol heat. Rich, warming flavour that is also quite crisp and well developed.

Good mouthfeel, but there is a certain sour aftertaste that leaves an unpleasant feeling in the mouth.

Better than I remember.

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured into a mug as dark copper with a nice puffy white head. Laced the glass very nicely. Smell is slightly fruity, nothing special though. Tastes light almost sweet but with a good brew appeal. The sweetness lasts through with the aftertaste but has enough kick to enjoy. I like it, a good Rogue product.

3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

A lot milder than I had anticipated. I was expecting more of a kick in the pants, but I found this beer to be more of a pat on the butt. My novice palate ignorantly compares it to an India Pale Ale, but the flavor profile seemed a bit more refined than your typical IPA. Subtle notes of clove, apricot, and honey. Slightly peppery as well. I would try this again for sure, perhaps by a different brewer for comparison. Watch the high ABV.. this brew is so smooth, it can creep up on you fast.

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured darker than I expected, somewhat coppery/amber in color. Pretty light and fluffy head, about 3/4 inch with a normal pour.

Aroma was fruity and a little sweet.

Taste was really suprising, took me a second for it all to register. Initial flavor reminded my wife and I of cotton candy, with a fruity twist. Just a very unique flavor. Mouthfeel was fairly light, decent body but not at all heavy on the pallete.

Very drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Great job Rogue, this is great.

Pours a dark honey body in a deep mug with great big cream-colored head. Good retention and pretty sticky lacing. A looker.

Scent is light and delicious. Great floral and fruity esters that bring on citrus, tropical fruit, pineapple and such. Nice honey-sweet malt foundation like a good bock, with aromatic hops giving it a flowery aroma.

Mouthfeel is light-medium and very crisp. Nice carbonation.

Taste is decently complex and light. Right off it starts with a bubble-gum and light-honey malt sweetness that's also floral, followed by European pils hops (I guess) that's slightly bitter but delicate. Finishes pretty dry and bitter.

This hybrid bock brewed w/ ale yeast is intersting and a damn-good beer as far as drinkability is concerned. Fruity, sweet, and balanced hop profile makes for a great beer. A regular in my fridge.

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours copper with orange tones and flecks of gold and red. Small yellow-white head with light-medium lacing; dies down quickly. Aroma of bubblegum, banana, and apple with floral undertones; hints of spices here and there. Light-medium body. Initial flavor is a mixture of rich and spicy (though mild) noble hops and sweet flowery, cake and cookie-dough malts, punctuated by a subtle undertone of sour lemon-lime citrus. Followed by toasty, buttery malts underlined by mild floral and dark fruit flavors. Hops linger. Bready, somewhat spicy finish and aftertaste.

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%

A- Dull (not negative) dark ambr color, some haze. good retenton, good lace

S- Biscuit malt, sweet carmel malts, and yeast

T-Malts, malt, malt. This is one malty beer. sweetness abounds. Some hops trickle though to cut the malt a little

M-Creamy body with nice carbonation

D-The malts overwhelm for me cutting down on drinkability

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

This beer was well carbonated and left a nice two finger head after the pour. As the beer was drank , nice lacing was left on the side of the glass.The "nose" was actually very plain and nondescript.

The beer had a good mouthfeel and had a nice balance between the malt and the hops.The flavor like the nose was very ordinary.

All in all, a good drinking beer.

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

12 oz bottle, no freshness date, but it came from my distributor probably 2 weeks ago...

A: Burnt orange and hazy, 1/4" thin head, quickly dissipating to a ring of bubbles with no lacing.

S: Malts and caramel. Not much else.

T: My first Maibock, so I was unsure what to expect. I liked the slight sweetness upfront, with a bit of alcohol zing to balance. I can almost discern a bit of vanilla somewhere in the middle. Goes down smooth. What's the ABV on this again?

M: Good beer-y feel, carbonation helps it go down. Doesn't linger long, but nice while it's there.

D: Very good. If it weren't for my ALDH deficiency, I could see myself drinking a few of these.

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

beer poured into my mug a golden amber color. Tried for some head, but none was happening.

Smell was very grapefruit/ citrusy. Also had a slight caramel like scent as well.

Taste was rather hoppy for a Bock beer. I like it. A thin malt backbone, sweet and thinly grape like. Had a nice hop profile, this is where the citrus scent comes from. Good brew.

Very light in the mouth, a lot more than the style would have you believe.

All in all, this is a really tastey brew that would be lovely to session. I'll be picking up more for sure.

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Poured into a tall pilsner glass a coppery-amber with a 1-finger off-white head. Bubbles rise throughout, giving it a nice look. Head disappears to leave a partial ring of lacing at the top of the glass, otherwise there's no lacing on the way down.

S: Malt scents dominate -- caramel and hazelnut seem most prevalent -- but it's fairly mild in the nose.

T: As with the nose, the malt produces the dominant taste, at least up front. Caramel malt again, along with some butterscotch or toffee, but also some evident spice and fruit further on, even more so as it warms. There's a slightly metallic bitter finish that lingers through the aftertaste, creating a solid balance.

M: Medium-bodied, buttery at times but with a nice dry finish.

D: Highly drinkable. Not too heavy, but flavorful enough to be interesting.

Notes: I'll fess up -- I don't know much about this style and what exactly this beer should be. But I've had it on tap and in the bottle and always liked it. Another solid offering from Rogue.

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

My first Rogue. And my first Maibock. Hazy deep amber color. Sweet malt aroma. white head disapates completely. Initially thought that this was very malty and that I wouldn't want any more maltiness...but realized that there was enough hop to balance it all out. It was suprisingly good and actually refreshing even throughout the temperature change. I will definitely be looking forward to having this again.

3.55/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

The beer poured a nice cloudy golden-amber color with a thin white head that dissapeared quickly. Smell was sweet, with notes of raisins, bread, and some honey.

The taste is very malty, with strong notes of caramel and honey. There is a slightly bitter finish due to the hops. The beer is balanced, but leaning toward the malty side. Mouthfeel is medium, and creamy. This is a fairly drinkable beer, if a bit on the heavy side. Overall this lager is a nice, solid brew, but nothing exceptional in my opinion.

3.83/5  rDev -3%

12 oz.'er that I suspect is past it's prime (based on the fact that there were only two singles left) - No Date

Appearance - 3.0 - Orange w/ below avg. carbonation; lace surrounds the glass after what little head there is subsides; cloudy though this may be a biproduct of the beer's age

Smell - 3.0 - Weak aroma but some maltiness and citrus

Mouthfeel - 4.5 - Above avg. thickness

Taste - - 4.0 - Rather malty for a lighter-colored beer; Some hoppiness/bitterness but not a whole lot, slight traces of alcohol, and of course, the citrus!

Drinkability - 4.0 - Any beer as balanced as this one will score pts. here. Mouthfeel is my favorite part of this brew followed by taste.

Final - 4.0
note: disregard the placement of the pts.in the score

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

I first saw this beer in a beer book I picked up in the bargain section of a huge Barnes & Noble in Bonita Springs, FL. Then a day later I saw it in an ABC in Fort Myers, though only in the large bottle.

What a pleasant surprise to find that the new Kroger at home in GA has an amazing selection of beer, which includes Dead Guy and another Rogue brew. I picked up a six pack and plunked down $10 for it, then found myself going back to the same store the next day to pick up something else...

... but only because I wanted to keep this Dead Guy around for a few days and not polish it off in one weekend!

Mine poured a cloudy orange amber; head was a mixture of small and large bubbles that didn't last long... no lacing. Smells and tastes sweet and malty, compared to the aggressively-hopped IPAs I've been drinking lately. Mouthfeel was pleasantly... creamy... and I found myelf smacking my lips, much to the cat's amusement.

All I could say was, "hmmm... this is good... this... is... (burp)... good."

3.08/5  rDev -22%

A - Burnt orange color, Quarter inch head fades to a film.

S - Smell is very sweet and sugary. Somewhat bitter.

T - Caramel taste typical with bocks but slightly more bitter.

M - Fair amount of carbonation.

D - Not my favorite Rogue but it's not a bad beer.

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales