Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

Nice, dark amber/rust color, with a bit of head that receeded pretty quick. Sweet aroma, presumably from the malts.

Taste begins sweet, followed by a hoppy bitterness, a nice balance there. The flavor of toasted malts round out the end and give the beer a unique aftertaste. Smooth and crisp.

Very tasty, and very drinkable beer. Goes down smooth and easy, and leaves a pleasant aftertaste.

Rio, Oct 31, 2004
3.95/5  rDev 0%

This is my first time trying this beer, i have been working my way through the Rogue brewery beers. I am pleasently suprised by the smooth yet complex taste.. A nice touch of bitter and a deep flavour with a touch of smokiness. The aroma is also as deep as the taste. I recommend this one as almost a dark wheat taste.

scratchchance, Oct 24, 2004
3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Funny how I've had this beer so many, many times and am yet to review it. It might be getting close to the lead for most reviews - I make number 441. Pours from the 22oz bottle a slightly hazy, orangish-amber hue with a small head that subsides quickly. Pleasant aroma of floral, bitter hops, plum, and a touch of roasted malt. Sturdy, slightly foamy body holds a well-balanced palate of lightly roasted malt, lightly bitter hops, and an underlying taste of fruit (plums, grapes). A tad bitter on the finish. While not my favorite beer, it's a good, consistent presence in my fridge. Dead Guy is also a wonderful fallback in many places where the selection may otherwise be Big 3 macro swill.

ElGordo, Oct 22, 2004
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

Golden amber pour with a short off-white head. Citrus and floral aroma. Sweet almost honey like flavor with a citrus tang and bitter finish. Modest carbonation and body.

Nice, malty, yet easy to drink beer. Beware of the alcohol. It is very smooth for a beer of 6.5% abv. It's a perfect choice for Halloween.

frazbri, Oct 19, 2004

Poured from a standard 330 ml bottle. Lots of almost white foam that has lasted until the end of the glass. A cloudy medium reddish brown colour with some orange hues. Smells of malt and caramel, with some citrusy notes. The taste is also malty, but a little too light, with a bit of a fruity finish and very clean aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very nice, fullbodied and smooth. This beer is quite good, tasty and with a high drinkability factor. Although its 6.5% ABV it does not taste like so and would therefor be an excellent session beer. Picked up a 6 pack in Illinois that works out to be about $10 CDN, so overall an excellent deal for such quality beer. Very recommended.

Viggo, Oct 08, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +2%

Dark cloudy red brown, with almost nothing in terms of head after moments. Nose is low malts and spice. Roasted cinnamon. Taste, too, has a cinnamon sweetness. Nice, isolated compact hop bitterness in the aftertaste. Combination of sweet and bitter leveled in the excellent mouthfeel, thick and bodyful. Carbonation bubbles away softly until the taste is ransacked by the hops. Not my favorite Rogue beer as far as taste goes, but great complexity and drinkability.

donnebaby, Oct 05, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

Nothing amazing about the appearance; standard brownish-amber color, bit of head on there. What can I say, it looks like a beer. But it smells great. This is a straight-up ale. Sometimes I find a lot of ales that are pretty hoppy, more like a pale ale, but this one is true to style, more like a bock or something. A mild, sweet aroma. That sweetness definately comes out in the taste, quite malty and "spring" tasting. I can picture a bunch of skeletons brewing this stuff up in Oregon. Feels very smooth and creamy (but not thick) in the mouth. I could drink this shit till I'm dead. Sorry that was lame. Let's just say that this is a solid, well balanced, and outstanding beer. Good bye.

twelvsies, Oct 01, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +5.8%

I had never had this brand before and was lucky enough for a fellow BA to bring this over to my place. This beer poured an autumn brown with a good head. It's aroma definitely was enticing with a floral hops character. It's taste was extremely smooth, which some might say as a macro beer slogan, but definitely isn't a bad thing. It was just the right sweetness with just the right bitter of hops. It felt great in the mouth not too thick not too thing. This is a beer I could drink more than one, but it's a little higher in alcohol so how much more is another question.

beragg, Sep 30, 2004
3.95/5  rDev 0%

22 oz. bomber. Pours a slightly turbid bronzy copper color with a nice light beige head. Malty, rich and fruit-like and candy-like hop aromas in the aroma. Malt sweetness hits the palate like a ton of bricks, mixed with some plum-skin like fruitiness, and the hops work well to counterbalance the sweet malt. The hops are pungent, but the malt is moreso. This has always been a very nice beer. An interesting hybrid between the maltiness of a bock and the hoppiness of many West Coast beers (this being one of them). Works out well.

crookedhalo, Sep 20, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

This is quite a tasty beer. It pours an amber color with a fair amount of lace. It smells of sweet, fruity malt. This is certainly not an overhopped ale like many of the popular west coast ales, as the taste is more dominated by the malty sweetness. I taste a very slight tropical fruit taste too, which is quite intriguing. The carbonation cleans the palate quite nicely. I would have no problem drinking many of them...it is a very drinkable beer.

bignick, Sep 20, 2004
3.75/5  rDev -5.1%

This is a pretty nice ale... The pour was very inviting - the beer is a deep orange-brown that made me think we were halfway to a brown ale. There was a large, inviting white head which slowly melted away, leaving lots of lacing on the inside of the glass.

The smell was inviting as well - good notes of fruit, malt and grassy hops made for a tempting nose. The taste lived up to the promise - tangy malt, hints of apricot and a nice dry hop finish. The carbonation danced on the tongue, cleaning the palate and inviting more sips.

Quite a drinkable brew - good flavor, wonderful color and an inviting nose. What more could you want?

RedwoodGeorge, Sep 16, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

From a 22oz bomber, pours a clear amber color, massive foamy head that takes forever to recede to a thin ring. Oddly enough, lacing doesn't appear until the second pour (what's up with that?). Smells like bread just out of the oven and cotton candy-very unique, at least to me, but very nice. Tastes of heavenly sweet malt and the caramelized parts of a loaf of good bread.

Very tasty brew here, one I could happily sip all day (or night actually) long.

skybluewater, Sep 12, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

Wow, I'm really glad I got around to trying this beer. Dead Guy Ale pours a dark and slightly hazy amber color. The head is light brown and lightly creamy. Head height is average. Smell is nice and malty. It has that sweet, bready aroma. Taste is excellent! Flavor is initially malty sweet, then the nice, slightly bitter hops kick in and really balance this brew out. Finish is a tasty, sweet blend of hops and malts. It seems like every sip I notice something new about this beer. Mouthfeel is right on, and drinkability only suffers from the filling nature of Dead Guy Ale. For me this beer is a "must try".

Gagnonsux, Sep 08, 2004
2.63/5  rDev -33.4%

Cardboard and honey. That's all I get from this beer. I didn't like it last time I tried it, but I thought perhaps my tastes had matured to the point where I'd enjoy it. I was, unfortunately, wrong.

It looks and smells like a beer I should enjoy, and I typically like sweetness in my beers, but this is almost cloying and definitely has some "off" notes. Mouthfeel is nice, though, with a bit of creaminess. Overall, the more I drink it, the more palatable it gets, but I can't recommend this brew.

(Maybe this is how a maibock is supposed to taste; your mileage may vary.)

AndIWantYou, Aug 26, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -8.1%

this beer poured a orange brown that reminded me of a dark iced tea.The inch head quickly disapeared with no lacing at all.
The smell was lightly of malt with a hint of hops. When tasting the malt comes through with a light hop taste. Lightly sweet. The body is medium to light. This is an easy drinking beer that I could have several in one sitting.

afinepilsner, Aug 23, 2004

Pours a deep coppery orange color with a firm white head about an inch thick that leaves a nice lace on the glass. Aromas consist of sweet caramel, some toasty malts, and a bit of zesty hop. Initial flavors consist of a bit of citrus flavoring followed by a wide arrange of malts which leave a multitude of flavors ranging from toffee, to biscuit, some caramel sweetness, and a doughy bread like flavor. There is also a nice estery yeast flavor in the mix which really adds some complex flavors to the brew. The finish is quite citrusy and zesty from a nice strong hop finish. Overall this brew is light to medium bodied with a refreshingly crisp carbonation that is almost biting on the tongue.

bigbeerdrinka, Aug 22, 2004
4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

I didn't expect to like this one, but what a surprise!, copper color, sturdy head, malty and dried fruit in the bouquet, strong hop in the mouth, well balanced by malt and fruit complexity. Mouthfeel was a treat, very effervescent and foamy, higher carbonation than expected, I could drink many

surfmeister, Aug 20, 2004
3.48/5  rDev -11.9%

This beer has a clean amber color with a small beige head. The aroma is lightly malty with a hint of grapefruit in the background. The taste has a serious sharp hop bitterness with, again, a hint of grapefruit sweetness somewhere in the middle. Has a crisp finish.

ybnorml, Aug 17, 2004
3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

dead guy ale pours a copper color w/ a small head that fades to a ring.smell is slightly hoppy with stong malt in front. laced the glass nicely. taste was unimpresive. Think that the bottle is bad. extemely bitter, acrid taste. kind of like soda water with bitters added. surrely a bad bottle. with no way to tell age it is hard to tell how old this crap is. huge dissapointment. will re review when a fresh sample can be obtained.

ramrod666, Aug 15, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Served in the bottle @ Bukowski's Tavern in Boston, MA.

Love the name of this beer, was always curious what it tasted like. Great aroma. Lots of citrus fruits that are balanced nicely by the malts. Nice, balanced, fruity taste as well. Very easy on the palate and highly enjoyable. A must try.

Jacobob10, Aug 08, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Bought a 6 of this awhile ago, finishing the last one now.
Appearance is a dark orange/light brown. What impresses me is that its not very dark, but you still cant see through it, a feature that I very much enjoy in beers that I might not expect it. Small head which slowly dissipates and no lacing.
I pick up on some (caramel?) malts in the nose, not much else cause my nose is a little stuffy today.
I think the 2 things that best describe the flavor is that it is well-balanced and subtley forceful. By the latter, I mean that it makes itself known, but without being obtrusive. I had this with some sausage and onion pizza, which I put garlic and hot pepper flakes on (I know, not a good pairing, especially for a review. As a rule, I seldom like to drink craft brews when I eat.) But despite of the powerful flavors in the meal that accompanied it, the flavor of the dead guy never seemed to waiver or submit. As I said, its a well done balance between the malts and hops...a feat I am thankfull for, not being a hophead. The slightly sweet malts are noticed 1st, with the hops making their presence known at the end and in the aftertaste, but not too much so.
Just the right amount of carbonation and smoothness in the mouthfeel. Very high drinkability, and a recommended brew for those who dont normally go for the hoppy stuff but still want something with a little bit of bite.

BrewMan13, Aug 06, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +10.9%

Nice in all aspects.

Pours a pretty amber color with a small head. Smells vaugely sweet with a hint of caramel and hops. Taste was very smooth, sweet and uncomplicated (perhaps the way that an ideal death should be?) with a very nice caramel aftertaste with a hint of fruit.

Full bodied, goes down like butter. High alcohol %, though, and since it's so smooth it's easy to drink too many of these...

mynie, Aug 03, 2004
3.33/5  rDev -15.7%

The first time I drank Dead Guy Ale, it was from a 22 oz. bomber. I enjoyed the cool-as-heck glow-in-the-dark bottle and thought that the beer was decent but not outstanding. I scribbled a few notes on my impressions but held off on writing a review. Last week I revisited the Dead Guy at Rogue’s waterfront brewery in Newport and was fairly disappointed. This beer is nice, but not as fantastic as Rogue’s other creations.

To begin with I was served from an old tap. The Rogue Brewer’s On The Bay alehouse is a world-class brewpub. But it’s still a tiny one-room place in a small town and it closes at 9PM. I can’t see that they do enough business, even in the peak of July tourist season, to justify 20 brews on tap. Without sufficient turnover, the beers go flat. I accept no excuses for a stale beers at a brewpub.

Dead Guy is not bad. Not bad at all. The pint I was served had almost no head, limited carbonation, and no lace whatsoever. It was a flat bronze color, clear but without luster. It had a light aroma of sweet malts and an adequate mouthfeel, but was nowhere up to Rogue’s customary high standards. It tastes well balanced and clean with a rounded malt profile and a punctual finish. But as the name might suggest, the Dead Guy lacks vitality.

RedDiamond, Jul 29, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +8.9%

I missed the pour but it was set in front of me as a clear medium amber in a frosted glass. Halo of foam wanted to leave a little lacing but for the damn frosted glass. The head was completely gone by about 2/3 down. It looked nice even considering the serving faux pax.

Aroma of roasted malt and touch of flowery hops. It should be quite tasty.

Very tasty with some subtle bonus flavors of fruits and and interesting chalky note. Slight crescendo of bitterness is quite welcome.

Quite a smooth mouthfeel with a medium to heavy body.

Very drinkable for a beer that heavy. The light carbonation might have something to do with it.

ken3c, Jul 26, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance: 12 oz bottle from World Market. Pours a hazy amber color with a white to tan head.

Smell: A balanced blend of hops and malt with some hints of alcohol and maybe some spice that brushes the nose.

Taste: Hops and malt both but more hops. It's got a sweet aftertaste but the first thing I taste is definitely the hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Very chunky and heavy. Overpowering carbonation which makes some of the nuances of the beer hard to pick up at times.

Drinkability: Ok for me. Seemed very filling and I'm not sure if I could have more than one of these in a sitting. A good representation of the style and certainly a well made brew but I probably won't be back for more.

mattcrill, Jul 24, 2004