Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Hazy honey-orange in the glass, with a medium tan head that disapates at medium pace.

Smell is sweet malty- a bit estery, with some fresh orange, banana, and some nice spice. It's a very inviting smell.

The flavour is much like the smell- but not as round and fruity, and a bit woodier. The spice is a bit more pronounced here. Spice intensifies at the end.

Nothing really odd or strange on the mouthfeel- medium liquid with a noticeable but not overbearing carbonation. Just slightly oily.

A very drinkable beer, IMHO. It's interesting, but not so assertive that it drives you away. It'd be a great session beer.

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, Nov 13, 2005
3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Looks like a rich tea or honey. Red hues. The head is just some light lacing on top of the beer.
S: Fruity and some floral smells.
T: The malts and hops mix nicely. Sweet to bitter taste. Nice smooth well-balanced aftertaste.
M: Crisp, nicely carbonated. Not too much; not too little.
D: Very drinkable brew. Nice session beer.

wcudwight, Nov 11, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

My neighbor dropped this off in exchange for a Stone's IPA. The Dead Guy poured a hazy orange-copper; I thought it would be clearer. There was a white head that remained for most of the glass. Very malty bready smell, then I got some caramel and the smell ended with some piney hops. The malts hit first with a semi-sweet caramel, then a hint of the hops. The hops and malts seem to be in real good balance, not too much of one or the other. The mouth feel was medium, almost chewy, but there was a real clean finish making this beer very drinkable. I would definitely have this again.

orsulacp, Nov 09, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured an amber gold, with a white fizzy head that faded extremely quickly, leaving just a thin ring of bubbles around the edge. No lacing.

Smells faintly of cedar and malt, not a big nose to it.
Tastes very un-Bock like, almost like an ale. But not quite. It's hard to classify the taste. A spiced-up bock would be about right, with honey and malt up front, and a finishing kick of spice and cedars. Sweet, but not overly so.

Mouthfeel is thin, sticky, and syrupy, average carbonation, which is visible until the end. It's very, very drinkable, as the body is so light and the taste so mild. A little close to a pale ale in flavor for my tastes, but the bottle surprised me by emptying itself very quickly.

waldowin, Nov 05, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

-=[Appearance]=-
Amber and cloudy with a thick head that stuck around to give you a "headstache". The lacing was exceptional with this one as well.

-=[Smell]=-
It has a slight sweet malty aroma with hints of fruit. It was unique to say the least.

-=[Taste]=-
A well-balanced beer with some malts and bit more hops. The fruity aroma seeps into the taste as well, but I was unable to distinguish it.

-=[Drinkability]=-
Yes, it went down well and so did the second one thereafter.

damifino, Nov 04, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

Thick creamy foam ice bergs on a brilliant amber sea. The head gradually disappeared, but it was quite a sight. The odor was complex, with obvious malt, and toast, honey-floral undertones. The rich malt dominated the flavor, alcohol was noticeable, and the bitter finish was assertive, but not aggressive. Nice body.

pweis909, Nov 03, 2005
3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

This beer pours a clear amber topped by a thick head with moderate retention. Malty/bready nose with spicy hops. The flavor is malty, with brown sugar and a slight hint of fruit and bitterness. There is nothing to get exited about in here, but this is a solid, quaffable brew.

goschool, Nov 02, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +6.8%

poured a very hazy apple cider color with a thin head that disappeared quickly (maybe a problem with my glass, or maybe that's how it's supposed to be?)

aroma is mostly malt but not very impressive overall.

taste is on the malty side with a very nice hope balance, an awesomely balanced beer.

Mouthfeel is where this one shines, smooth as can be and perfectly carbonated, a light yet creamy quality.

drinkability is very high, this goes down so smooth. I really enjoyed this beer, it is something different than the typical hop bomb ales that are very popular these days, so far i have been very impressed with Rogue.

evanackerman, Nov 01, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

This pours a nice cloudy amber color with a nice big head that does not last very long. The aroma is sweet, spicy and fruity. Good malt flavors here. It is so fruity and easy to down i can't believe there is 6.5 abv. It packs a hidden punch. medium mouthfeel and insanely drinkable.

Sofa king expensive.

kbnooshay, Oct 30, 2005
4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Medium bodied, cloudy cinnamon/amber color kind of like unfiltered cider, nice beige head.

Aroma is hard to pin down - a lot of malt, caramel, toffee, apple with a piney hops tone.

Taste is toasted malt, caramel, toffee, fruit, maybe molasses all backed up by a very definite hops spice and bite with a lingering somewhat bitter aftertaste. Finishes dry, with a touch of alcohol warmth just asking for more..

Smooth as silk. Probably not for everyone but for those who like a lot of taste and a somewhat heavier ale, well worth a try. If you like it you'll want several.

whynot44, Oct 29, 2005
3.73/5  rDev -5.6%

Had a pint at the Landmark 1850 Inn in Milwaukee.

Appearance -- Dark, cloudy, amber. About a 1/4 " white head that quickly dissipated. Very watery lacing.

Smell -- To me it smelled strongly like bananas. Very pleasant and interesting.

Taste -- Slightly bitter but overall it was balanced nicely. I can pick up very faint tastes of fruit. Smooth, but overall I found it to be slightly boring. I should probably mention that I am a big time hop head.

Mouthfeel -- Medium to light feel. Nice carbonation.

Drinkability -- I could definitely have more than a few of these, but this is not one I'd seek out. A very good beer but it’s just not my "cup of tea."

ClearDog, Oct 28, 2005

I LOVE the look of this beer. Not much of a head, but it looks like a glass of high-quality honey. Fantastic colour.

And yes, I know it's been reviewed a lot, but I'm going to do it anyway.

One thing I was surprised about with this well-known beer is the smell -- there's not much of it. Weak grassy, malty sweetness, but not much else.

The taste, however, is another story. The first thing that hits me is the earth flavours -- almost reminds me of damp West Coast beach sand, and even though there's no grittiness in the beer, I can almost imagine it. Also flavours of ripe fruit, autumn leaves, with just the slightest hint of pleasantly bitter hops.

Mouthfeel is awesome: smooth, almost syrupy, with very little carbonation. Like the scent, the aftertaste is minimal. Maybe slightly bitter fruits and pine.

This is my first Dead Guy Ale, although I have another bottle in storage which I'll try again in a couple of weeks. Not quite as fantastic as I was expecting given its reputation (and given how much I adore Rogue Chocolate Stout), but still quite good, and I'll definitely pick it up again if I happen to see it.

crwills, Oct 27, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +13.2%

Being from Canada I'm always concerned about the freshness of US micros exported to Canada (Where is Free Trade?) as they are always held in bond at Customs (Federal) before they are distributed to government (Provincial) run liquor outlets. All bureaucracy aside, this ale stood the test of time and I was duly rewarded. Poured to a carmel brown with a healthy lacing with slow retention. Wafts of nugmeg and other spices added to the experience. Had a dry feeling in your mouth, much like drinking cold tea (which is not a bad thing). Left me craving another. Freshness was not an issue.. Another excellent Rogue product. Well worth the potential bureaucratic quagmire.

beckerboots, Oct 26, 2005
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle that I picked up a few weeks ago.
Pours a nice copper color with a thin white head. No lacing…head disappears.
Smell is sweet, spicy and could even catch a smoked aroma in there.
Taste is good and complex. Sweetness could be of caramels that mutates into a smoked hoppy bitterness. The alcohol is present but not an in your face kick, a nice smooth warmth.
Mouthfeel is smooth.
Drinkablility = good.

LucaBrasi, Oct 26, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Got this in a 650ml bottle. Interesting mix of sweet and bitter malt. Hazy reddish/copper hue, with a nice quarter inch of white head and lacing. Smells of fruit, grass, maybe hints of hops. The taste is quite appetizing, somewhat spicy, a little sweet and fruity, caramel malts, maybe, and the bitterness kicks in towards the end, complete with a medium mouthfeel and a good amount of carbonation.Very fine aftertaste. As many have mentioned, it hides its alcoholic character quite well, so it's pretty drinkable. Overall, I like it a lot.

InDreams, Oct 26, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +12.2%

Well, this is my first Rogue and first Maibock. Pours a cloudy copper color with nice carbonation and alot of lacing. Scents of hops, citrus, spices. This brew has a very nice and unique taste of sweet/bitter malt. There's a medium body. The lacing just does not want to disappear. The brew is very drinkable at 6.5%, highly recommended.

Wasatch, Oct 26, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

This is some good beer. A little lighter flavor than I expected, but I really didnt know what to expect. Citrusy, hoppy, spicy, malty.

Had a grassy, citrusy, hoppy smell. Goes down a little too easy considering the almost 7% ABV. Proceed with caution.

I will revisit this one in the VERY near future again.

wingnutter, Oct 24, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +8.4%

Enjoyed on tap with dinner.

Appearance: A hazy copper color with a medium-thin head that fades to a sticky lace which persists well.

Aroma: Fruity smell with hint of hops. Smells rather appetizing.

Taste is quite simply delicious. On tap this brew has a complexity to it that I never detected the several times that I have enjoyed it out of the bottle. A new spiciness was clearly present and the taste and mouthfeel progressed smoothly from inital sweetness, then a slight bitterness that left a great aftertaste. The carbonation was just right and contributed to the smoothness.

The first time I ever sampled this brew I wasn't particularly impressed, but it has grown on me since and I really enjoyed it on tap. Definitely recommended.

mitchfor3, Oct 23, 2005
3.95/5  rDev 0%

Paint me a picture of this poured into a pilsener glass and its man hole material. Lively off white head that chunks its way down the glass giving way eventually to a thin sheeted cover. Copper with reddish hue and well supported by medium carbonation.

Sweet fruits, soft malts and slightly candied smells.

This brew is decisively balanced. Had all the smells wrapped in a package and then cleansed by a solid quick hop hit. Caramel comes through followed by the big bodied malt flavors mixed with some dark fruits, sizzled in by a stingy carbonation and mellowed out back to some toasted malts that linger and blend nicely with the subtle hop finish.

Damn fine brew. Another winner from Rogue. Mouthfeel of most rogue beers to me seem so rich and creamy but not overbearing. Above average in this style and one I've gone back to again and again. You can never go back to the well too many times with this.

DogFood11, Oct 22, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Caveat Emptor: I haven't had a Maibock except for this one (which I've tried a few times). This has a rather nice smell. I can't quite tell the individual components of it, but it seems to be dominated by a sweet malty smell with a bit of hops. It tastes good. It starts of fairly sweet and then finishes with a taste that I can't quite put my finger on. It's pleasant though. The carbonation is decent, but nothing amazing. It goes down pretty easy too, but the aftertaste can get a bit strong after a while so I don't see myself drinking more than two at a time.

unknownlamer, Oct 18, 2005
3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

I really like this beer -- it's not my all-time favorite, but it is a reliable go-to whenever I need something bracingly good to break me out of the mild and mediocre.

This one has a reddish-brown body with a thin brown-white head that disappears immediately. Being a fan of a good long-lasting head (heh), I take off a few points for that, but then again, it's a decent beer to look at.

The aroma is very inviting, with a malty caramel presence up-front with mild hops that is quite pleasant. When I first tasted this beer I found the hop presence overwhelming to the nose, but over time I began to enjoy it and now I find the hoppiness minimal. The sweetness really stands out in the nose here.

The taste is nicely balanced, with the caramel sweetness mixed with nice hoppiness. In my notes I listed this beer as "flavorful, arousing, and highly pleasant". I'm pretty sure that I meant "arousing" in a perfectly clean sense, but I'm listing it just in case anyone feels it might have aphrodisiacal properties.

Medium body with medium carbonation, and the hops at the end give this one a nice pleasant aftertaste. Again, when first tasting this brew I found the aftertaste overwhelming, but I have quickly grown to love it.

Overall drinkability solid. I find this to be a near-perfect dinner beer -- those new to the beer might want to give it a few tries, as the overall quality of the beer can sneak up on you when you're not looking.

danielharper, Oct 17, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

10/16/05- Purchased in Jackson Hole, WY.

Presentation- 22oz bottle with no dating imprinted on the bottle. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearnace- Darker amber colored pour. 3/4 inch head with above average lace.

Smell- Mid range semi sweet caramel malt scents as well as a small bitter hop presence.

Taste- Weird. Almost reminescent of Three Philosophers, yet without the 10% abv. Has a strange, but nice chocolate raspberry flavor. Caramel malts with a pretty heavy dark chocolate fruit taste. The hops come out at the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation.

Drinkability- Couldn't even find word one about this beer. Don't even know if it's a Pale Ale or not. I just know it was pretty damn good. Different and quenching.

GClarkage, Oct 17, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

I must have had a bad bottle of this a year ago which turned me off for a while. A nice beer for that transition from hot to cold (or vice versa, as intended for the style). I don't have a ton of experience with bocks, but this seemed like a pretty good take on the style, having recently had Einbecker's various versions.

Poured into a pilsener glass: a nice copper / honey hue, initially a good deal of bubbles sticking to the sides, with a decent head of slightly large bubbles which quickly faded, leaving no trace behind.

The smell is surprisingly strong, until you remember that this one has about 40 IBUs--not much of the malt comes through except a bit of pears, apricots, peaches, and caramel. No toffee notes. 6 kinds of hops here--i sure can't distinguish them. Basically smells grassy to me, maybe a bit of citrus. I ought to buy some hops and practice smelling them!

Quite a refreshing, bitter impact that lingers until the back of the throat. The caramel comes through a bit more, which nicely balances the hop punch. Finish is dry, not cloying. No trace of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium, a good deal of carbonation. Not too tacky.

Quite drinkable--perhaps a bad thing due to it's 6.5 abv! Easily a session beer and could go with many foods.

A nicely balanced, refreshing beer--bracing enough for 50 degree nights. I have no idea why it's Dead Guy ALE.

fromage, Oct 15, 2005
3.23/5  rDev -18.2%

I didn't know the style of this beer when reviewed, so that was not taken into consideration. Knowing now it is a maibock, it does a pretty good job of fitting the bill.

Darkish honey with plentiful but not overly rambunctious off-white head that subsides as a thin film. Smells of sweet caramel malts and a hint of hop.

Sweet honey and caramel with perhaps a hint of of munich malt. Delicate hop bitterness is perhaps a bit underbalanced. Some tangy notes after malts. Pleasant moderately thick body with very light carbonation.

Ok, but not all that great, I won't go out of my way for it, but I'll take it if offered.

sopor, Oct 14, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

This is my first review...so take that into account.

When pouring into a pint glass the head is found to be a bit lacking. However it looks great once it's there. A nice dark coppery color. It has a nice mild spicy smell to it. Taste wise I've often likend it to "opium in a bottle". It has a mild hoppy bite, and tastes absolutely wonderful. I could drink it all day, and never get tired of it. I've often sold people on it because it's similar (somewhat) to Arrogant Bastard.

Not for the feint of heart, or the novice beer drinker.

lordbrad1, Oct 11, 2005