2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Dead Guy AleDead Guy Ale

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,373 | Reviews: 2,235 | Show All Ratings:
AlFromBayShore

Georgia

4.72/5  rDev +19.2%

A - Rich amber color with a slightly off white head about 1/2 finger width.

S - Honey, slightly toasted malt, apricot, some booziness, and mild notes of raisin.

T & M - NICE! The first thing that strikes me is how smooth this is. Then a full bodied texture laden with rich and complex flavor. Roasty toasty malt sweetness framed by a very subtle hoppy bitterness that lingers in the finish without being sour. This is fantastic balance. Mildly dark dried fruitiness shares the backbone with a malt flavor, and subtle but apparent notes of honey. An alcoholic warmth emanates from the top of my stomach, into and around my chest and lingers. A fantastic experience. Mild carbonation - just enough to keep from interfering with the flavor. There is also the suggestion of creaminess in the mouthfeel.

D - Between the flavor and the mouthfeel, the drinkability is fantastic.

I can easily see this beer becoming one of my "go to" beers.

03-17-2010 00:24:44 | More by AlFromBayShore
John

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

Technically labeled a bock, this one tastes more like the classic English strong ales IMHO. Nevertheless, a favorite.

09-25-2001 09:33:00 | More by John
hyuga

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

Amber haze with a white, sticky head that mostly settles soon after the pour. Great balance of sweet malt and hops in the nose. Just a bit fruity and peat-like. With a taste, I literally become wide-eyed... what is this I'm tasting? Could it be? Pistachio! Right in the middle of the palate, a very clear pistachio-like character. Something I've never experienced in a beer before. Before I start ranting about loving pistachios, I'd better move on to the other characteristics. Sweetness from the malt, balanced well by the hops, as in the nose. Bread-like toasted malt character abound, especially with retro-olfaction. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel that is both crisp from the hops and grainy from the malt. I'm really enjoying the unique character of this beer. Very flavorful and just plain enjoyable all the way through.

09-18-2002 00:59:47 | More by hyuga
kindestcut

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

The Dead Guy Ale poured gold and red, like a sunrise on a cloudy morning. The look is slightly cloudy, although it could have been the carbonation obscuring my vision.

I sensed a sweet, malty aroma, though not at all overpowering. I have tried beer with far greater aromas but with a far lesser flavor.

Sweet and bitter, smooth and chewy, it was a dichotomy of the senses, although the hoppiness is pretty subtle. There are no gratuitous flavors.

I really like this beer a lot. I had not had any Rogue products prior to this and I hope all of this live up to Dead Guy's near perfection (IMHO). I think this beer would be great to drink at any time, whether at the bar or with food.

03-08-2003 07:45:32 | More by kindestcut
KoG

Nevada

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

I love it in the bottles and it's even better on tap.

Deep orange body with a frothy light tan head. Leaves good lace rings all the way down.

Smell is sweet malt some a somewhat nutty character abcked by some citric and flowery hop presence.

Very well balanced taste. The sweet malt melds with the hops and finishes with less bitterness than the bottled counterpart. Super easy to drink.

One of the best brews to grab on tap as far as I'm concerned.

08-14-2005 19:32:31 | More by KoG
rgctlc

South Carolina

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

I think y'all know what this beer is about. I lucked into a sale at 7.99/6 at the Lowes in Calabash, NC on 1/29/07.They also had the Red and the Amber on sale as well. Anyway, awesome malty flavor with a strong hoppy kick at the end...this batch was in 6 pack form...no dates whatsoever on the packaging so I have no idea of the actual production date. The last time I found this was in bomber form in Cloudcroft, NM a coupla yrs ago...I turned some of my bud lite friends onto this and they loved it...so if you have it at yr local groc get it...kill if you must...Have a nice day!!!

01-31-2007 04:50:03 | More by rgctlc
Seanish

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

Pours mildly hazy amber with a 3/4 inch head or so that left significant lacing. Looks enticing Deep and lightly hazy amber honey in colour with a wispy white lace.

The smell has a very sweet character but there's a definite hop presence. Very welcoming...

Taste is great. Like the smell it begins with bit of sweetness and ends with a notable hop presence, a perfect balance. It's smooth and has the right amount of carbonation.

If it's not my favorite beer, it's definitly close. Pick it up if you see it and give it a try.

04-09-2007 06:27:58 | More by Seanish
Strix

Wisconsin

Serving: 1.5 Pint bottle

Deep amber color.

Smells of malts, with a sweet finish and roasted notes. Caramel and hops are also in the smell.

Taste is very complex, starts out smooth, with malt and caramel, then a slight twinge of alcohol, a roasted note, fresh bread crust, and a slightly hoppy and sweet aftertaste. The aftertaste is really nice.

Mouthfeel is smooth and refreshing.

Overall, quite delicious. This really hits the spot. I need to find some more Rogue brews.

09-07-2007 02:03:09 | More by Strix
Tlomp11

Nevada

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

This is a very tasty beer. I have had it on tap and out of a bottle, both were delicious. Very high quality.

It has a good flavor and the after-taste is mild.

The head is small but consistant and the lacing is mild.

I would recommend this to anybody looking for a solid micro-brew.

01-29-2009 00:55:58 | More by Tlomp11
weylinfidler

Nebraska

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

OK it has been a while since I had this so I will be writing from memory.

A: Mid to Mid-dark Amber, not much head.

S: smelled like a bock but with noticeable alcohol notes. a bit sweeter than I expected.

T: OH WOW! This is almost the tastiest beer I have ever drank. Had one because the tapper looked interesting, after it was gone I had to go get another because I drank it way too fast. Not as good in the bottle. Drink from the tap if you can.

M: the beer just hugs the tongue and leaves just enough remembrance to leave you wanting more.

D: Absolutely spectacular. One of my all time favorite beers.

Get this on tap if you can. The bottle does not do it justice. I will bypass all other beers if I see this.

04-05-2009 08:14:29 | More by weylinfidler
roddwolff

Mexico

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

I bought this beer at a liquor store at Vegas and among all there was, this was the first one i grabbed, because it has a skull logo;

A: Copper color with a very white foamy head;

S: Roasted malt, toffee and cherries;

T: Toffee, roasted malt and pumpkin and bitter hops;

M: Dry, high bitterness and sweet notes;

D: One of my favorite american beers, i would like to celebrate the next "dia de muertos" drinking this beer.

12-16-2009 20:24:01 | More by roddwolff
olegv40

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

Poured a deep yellow/burnt orange with a just a gigantic creamy head, lacing all the way down. Large bubbles formed all around the glass.

Smelled of malt and caramel. A deep taste of bitter hops give way to caramel malts and just a tinge of citrus and ends with a pleasant sweetness. I could taste alcohol much more than I expected.

This is a fantastic beer, not much else I can really say, other than I could drink these all day.

07-05-2010 00:10:55 | More by olegv40
BeerDawgs

Georgia

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

A - A hazy, cloudy Amber color. Not too much head.

S - Nothing exceptional jumps out to me. The Malts are more prevalent than the Hops in the aroma.

T - Very smooth. The Malts are up front, and nicely balanced by the hops on the back end. A mild sweetness that is perfect.

M - Smooth. Carbonation is just right.

D - Awesome. I could drink many of these and will definitely buy it again.

11-25-2010 01:21:47 | More by BeerDawgs
9InchNails

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

As soon as I opened the bottle the beer shot right over the top. It poured with a decent amount of off white foamy head. A redish orange body that's really cloudy. It looks freakin' awesome! Creamy lacing from top to bottom of glass.

A sweet bitter smell of hops and some malts. A hint of barley.

Very smooth and crisp, a slight carbonation hitting the tongue but not too much. Body doesn't feel heavy at all. Leaves the lips a little sticky and the mouth feeling dry but isn't.

The taste is awesome! Bitterness from the hops and some sweet caremel malty characteristics. I'm thinking some citrus hops, maybe grapes, pineapples and oranges. A slight taste of grass and pine. Everything is perfectly balanced with a unique and interesting taste.

I could drink this all night. Smooth, crisp, light in the body. Feels nice going down. I wish I got more than one bottle of this! This is everything I would want an ale to taste and feel like. Very close to being perfect.

11-27-2010 05:45:13 | More by 9InchNails
ZachStone625

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%

My goodness - what a treat.

This is a crisp, refreshing beer with a slightly sweet, mild taste. The malty, grainy, biscuity tastes start with a perfect amount of carbonation before giving way to a slight dash of springy hop bitterness then finishing clean, dry, and crisp. By the time you've swallowed and smacked your lips a couple of times the flavor still lingers but there's absolutely no unpleasant aftertaste. None. No overpowering malt, no boozy overtone, no hop lawn trimmings 'n' bitters to sour up your palate - just a pleasant warm flavor lingering for a bit leaving you craving for more. The balance in this ale is phenomenal. A great spring or summertime beer, like a lazy sunny afternoon after finishing lots of outdoor work.

The alcohol is very well masked, as other posts have emphasized the 6.5% ABV will sneak up on you. And it is hard to just have one, so after you get your first plan on hanging out for a while.

08-13-2012 07:13:13 | More by ZachStone625
PCmofo

4.68/5  rDev +18.2%

A- Appearance is a great crisp and clear amber color.
S- Smell is slightly hoppy with just enough hops aroma
T- Taste is strong and hoppy without being a strong IPA taste
M- Mouthfeel is great just light enough without tasting like light beer or a lager
D- Drinkability is high because this beer is both delicious and not too hardy

This is one of my new favorite beers. Its taste and smell make it a very pleasurable beer to drink.

06-26-2007 02:38:50 | More by PCmofo
beerinmorning

4.68/5  rDev +18.2%

I always take get a good nose full of each the beer before I sip and this one delivered a wonderful combination of oranges and caramel. The start is almost all hops, almost leading like an IPA, but the warm sweet and warm taste of the malt comes in to balance it all nicely.

The body looks thick, but still very well carbonated. You get that same sensation in the mouthfeel. The finish is a little oily, but it's the perfect finish to this beer.

And the orangish-amber color is truly lovely. No lacing, though, which is a bit of a surprise, because the prevalence of hops would seem to suggest more lacing.

In all, this is one complex and delicious beer. Almost fun to drink.

04-16-2011 00:50:14 | More by beerinmorning
DrewSnyc667

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A:Cloudy deep orange to light leather tan, almost no head but some sticky lacing, a few bubbles

S: Light a mild, i notice the roasted malts more so than the mild spicy hops, some fruity apple and pear, too

T: Perhaps the most balanced beer Ive ever tasted, the sweet fruit and the bitter hops are married in harmony

M: See notes on taste

O: What a treat always, this beer is so simple and so good

04-07-2013 22:34:10 | More by DrewSnyc667
Jordan

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

Dead guy ale. What a name. It has both a strong malty caramel tendency and a bitter hops taste. So, I'd say it's very well rounded. There are also some slight earthy fruity flavors invading the palate here. Extremely tastey brew. A fairly potent whif of malty caramel on the nose. A superb beer!

12-02-2001 01:42:25 | More by Jordan
ktrillionaire

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

I must admit to sleeping on this beer for years. I just didn't think it could be that good due to a combination of supermarket availability, slick marketing / catchy name, etc., all of which usually adds up to a pile of BS.

But I was wrong. It is a very good beer.

A – Great golden amber with nice head and lacing.

S – Flat-out good; rich, clean and hoppy.

T – This beer has a great taste, in a general sense. It is one of the finest widely available beers, full flavored, hoppy, refreshing and likely palatable to any beer drinker.

M – Full-bodied with crisp carbonation, very nice.

D – Hell yeah, I'll drink this anytime.

01-19-2010 19:24:31 | More by ktrillionaire
renegadeburger

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

i think i can say this is the very first beer that really got me on to the whole good beer scene

i had this beer on tap over at Iron Monkey in Jersey City, it had poured and presented itself with nice white dense head on it

the aroma was really great it had fresh bread and sweet malt in it not a lot of hops but this one definetly had a nice clean character to it

the taste was really awesome, so drinkable for such a unique style of beer

the mouthfeel was super slick, really had texture without being chewy

overall i think this beer is really awesome, i also wonder why i don't see it as much any more about 3-4 years ago i used to see it all the time, now its more rare, either way its going to be one of my go-to beers as its really just a very well put together brew

i love rogue beers in general but this one is one of my favorites

06-30-2011 20:29:02 | More by renegadeburger
AEArider

Arizona

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

Maybe I'm biased because this was singlehandedly one of the beers that turned me from a drinker of beer to an appreciator of beer, but this is one of my favorites. . .

Poured a hazy amber with small but tightly knit head speckled with dark spots from some settling. . . little lacing. Sweet, complex malt aroma that leads to an even more complex taste that, yes, is very indicative of malt focus, but excellently balanced the hop presence. The flavor is so very organically sweet and complex. The mouthfeel is rather smooth and has a good balance of carbonation.

GREAT brew.

10-04-2011 01:50:00 | More by AEArider
Craig01890

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

This beer remains one of my all time favoriates. I constantly recomend Dead Guy to people. I find it to be a very eary to drink beer with rewarding aftertase. I noties a stightly metalic flavor in this beer that has grown on me. Having had this beer both out of the bottle and on tap, I would say that it is fantastic both ways. The only knock on it is the price; its generally very expensive. I would purchase it much more if it was not quite as expensive.

06-13-2012 17:51:19 | More by Craig01890
Louis_Toschner

South Carolina

4.64/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottle served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Beautiful dark amber color with reddish highltights. I didn't get a very big head or much lacing. Then again, it may be the way my wife poured it.

Smell: Smoky caramel notes. Wonderful Hops smell, Very intoxicating.

Taste: I have to admit, i didn't do a good job of differentiating the various tastes. When the first mouthful hit my tongue, my eyes rolled back in bliss. Such an overal great experience drinking this beer. On one hand, I wanted to keep drinking and on the other, I didn't want to swallow it so I could keep enjoying the taste.

Mouthfeel: A little silky to me, not as thick as I thought it might be but still a great experience.

Overall: Definitely on my radar for another go around. Highly recommended.

03-16-2013 14:12:01 | More by Louis_Toschner
Joey-bags1990

Missouri

4.64/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A-Medium amber colored, clear filtered look yet somewhat opaque. Roughly a half inch high foam head after being poured into a pint glass that quickly recedes to a small centimeter high film at the top of the beer with small bubbles ascending from the bottom of the glass.

S- Somewhat sweet scent of malts. Medium to heavy hops with a floral/grassy smell as far as I could tell. Very clean scent.

T- Strong delicious taste of rich malts with a rich caramel taste and strong hops that strike a very good balance and complement each other well. Clean finish with good level of bitterness.

F- Medium body on the palate when held in your mouth for a few seconds, with a smooth finish as it goes down your throat.

O- Outstanding beer with a great taste that can be expected from a premium craft ale. Great balance of smell, taste and feel and is a beer that I would definitely consider drinking many more times in the future.

10-31-2013 17:59:12 | More by Joey-bags1990