Dead Guy Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Maibock / Helles Bock |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 09-05-2001

8 Ingredients:
Malts: Northwest Harrington, Klages, Maier Munich and Carastan.
Hops: Perle and Saaz.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

16º PLATO
78 AA
16º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Dead Guy Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,313 | Hads: 6,913
4.15/5  rDev +5.1%

Thick rich head... orange/amber in color.
The smell pulled me in. A soft citrus smell prepared my sences for what what was about to come. I took a sip, The orange/amber colored ale was just as fruity as the smell had me expecting. Very easy going down, very smooth and refreshing. (281 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

I just cracked the top off of this one, so I could review as I enjoy this. Nice label, especially since today is Halloween. This poured a nice clear dark copper/garnet color. The head is pretty thin with no lace around the large goblet that I'm drinking it from. The aroma is pretty malty, maybe caramel, with litter to no hop presence. The taste has a large malt presence up front with a little brown sugar hint. Great finishing hops presence makes this one finish clean and balances it out at the end. Good mouthfeel with medium carbonation. This is very drinkable and at 6.5% will make a damn good session beer. Great job by Rogue and I can't wait to go back and get the Shakespeare & Brutal. (695 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -18%

This must be the least enjoyable Rouge "ale" I have had so far...It looks ok, deep golden orange hue with thin, soapy head. The aroma is very pleasant with a nice balance of sweet toasted malt and domestic (that's USA) hops. The flavor is just plain weird to me. I don't know what it is but there is something... I dunno... "green" tasting about the combination of hoppiness and sweet malt in the middle. Finishes with a sweetish, smoky flavor that continues with the oddness. What is most odd about this "ale" is that it is not an ale at all. It is a Maibock, which is a German lager beer. It is as much an ale as Bill Cosby is a young white dude. (648 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -3%

Appearance: Slightly hazy deep copper color, wht a thin lacy, off-white head.

Aroma: Nice malty sweetness, with hints of hop spiciness.

Taste: Slightly smoky malt up front, with great hop balance in the finish. Very well done.

Mouthfeel: Light, but flavorful, with malt and hops balancing with the alcohol.

Drinkability: A nice house beer, which has character and somewhat broad appeal. (398 characters)

Pours a clear copper with a nice sized tan head that lasts fairly well, and laces quite nicely. Aroma is lightly malty (fruity, plums?), and strongly hoppy (floral, pine, grapefruit). Flavor starts with some dark fruitiness, and ends with a very strongly hopped finish, good bitterness. Medium-full bodied, light notes of alcohol poke through towards the end. (359 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +11.9%

This is a darn fine beer. I quite enjoyed it.

Pours a slightly cloudy copper-red with a moderate head that gives up only a little lace.

Delightful smell of malt, hops and fruit. Sweet malt up front, quickly followed by just-right bitter hops. This is one of those beers you can really savour. And then wish you had another one to hand.

I'm gonna run off and tell all my friends about this one. Great beer. (414 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A beer with an attitude! Poured nicely with a smoky golden edge and orange core. Limited crown with a medium lace and cling.
Taste is a riddle, seems a hoppy bitter start then changes...secondary malt finish with a bitter end...or is it?
Body is a medium/ full, carbonation is very light.
Can understand why this could be taken to the grave...may bring a few myself!
Very nice. (381 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

This beer is a dark orange color, with a small and fleeting tan head atop it. Sweet malts and bubblegum are what she reeks of. This is a very sweet, malty drink, with the hops adding their two cents in the back. Seems like a pretty well put together beer. Not my all time favorite though. (288 characters)

Appearance: 650ml bottle. golden orange with a moderatley white-foam head.

Smell: nice hoppy/fruity sweet nose. hints of sweet apricot and peach. sweet and hoppy, very pleasant.

Taste: Nice hoppiness off the top followed by a mellow and smooth sweetness. this is highlighted by apricot & peach and a good malt backbone makes this a nice ale with some good body.

Mouthfeel: Smmoth and creamy. just enough bubbliness to keep me happy.

Drinkability: one a day wouldn't be too much. a pleasant everyday drinker. (519 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Dark copper in color, quickly dissipating head. Very nice sweet sugary malty aromas with hints of tropical fruits. Lightly toasted sweet malts up front with more sweet malts in the middle. Then a kiss of hops, flowery hops, and a nice smooth finish. A great and very drinkable brew. The Rogue guys continue to impress. (318 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

Having previously enjoyed Rogue's Shakesphere Stout, I was slightly disappointed to find Dead Guy Ale just a "good' beer. Still, its better than much of what's out there.

Dead Guy emerged from the bottle into my glass as a orange/copper colored brew. There was a small beige head that quickly dissipated, yet left a thin ring of foam around the rim. The smell was of floral hops, caramel, mildly toasted malts and a whiff of honey. The the hop flavor is most noticable in the taste, with the caramel and toasted malts in the background. I would have liked the malts to be slightly more assertive, but I still enjoyed the taste. The mouthfeel is lightly creamy, with a slightly acidic, yet by no means overwhelming, feel.

While this is not a great beer, and slightly deflates the Rogue mystique, I still like it. It actually reminds me a little of a Fullers ESB, though I find it a little less silky. (907 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

A beige head settles fast upon pouring over a very dark amber body. It smells of hops, which although not overwhelming, are very present. It is not as bitter as some other ales but it remains very potent. It is not a thick ale and goes down smooth. I like drinking this on occasion and am happy it is not a seasonal brew. I wish I was able to find a larger variety of Rogue brews around my area, but alas it is mostly Dead Guy Ale. (431 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer is a pleasing copper/ amber color with a bit of chill haze to it. It pours with a frothy cream to tan colored head. The main aroma is one of a malty biscuit, it is accompanied by a sweet hoppiness. This beer is very malty tasting, and lightly sweet. I must say this is a great session beer, lots of flavor yet it seems to be relatively light. A beer for when you aren't up to being assaulted by hop varieties and dense maltiness. This beer finishes with a balancing bitterness that counterpoints the wonderful mixture of sweet maltiness and hop flavors that are at the front part of this beer. This beer is what I wish Fat Tire was, I know it is a bit hypocritical, but I can still wish. (697 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: Light copper color with very active carbonation, like soda. I didn't get a head on the pour. Strange.

Smell: Wonderful balance between caramel/toasted malts and subtle sprucy hops.

Taste: Sweet caramel/toffee flavors with a hint of smoke. Bitter hops lurk underneath the surface.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and lightly creamy. On the light side of medium bodied.

Drinkability: Quite drinkable. I'm glad they make this year round so I don't have to wait for the fall. (482 characters)

I've had this beer a few times now, and it's always so hard to nail down. I always enjoy it, but it doesn't leap out in any way. Subtelty in a Rogue? Imagine that! Starts off quite sweet and malty (almost too much so). By the end, the trademark Rogue hops are prevalent. In between, however, a nice unique ale. Good balance, good taste, good drinkability. Good beer. I'm glad this is available again at one of my local beer stores. A nice change. (446 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -14.9%

Light amber color, medium white foamy head. Aroma is malty,fruity and sweet. A medium bodied, helles/bock ale. Fairly malty, yet with a nice strong hop bite. Some hop spiciness. Smooth taste. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is crisp and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. (269 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -20.8%

Had this one on tap at the local pub. Pours an amber color with some orange hues and a moderate head that dies off quickly and leaves a decent amount of lace on the glass. The aroma is not very strong, but there were some slight hops and a little citrus present. The flavor was sweet and malty - good combination. The flavor is fairly smooth, but not perfect - it could be a little more smooth. The mouthfeel was average in my book. (432 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -6.8%

Seemed like a fairly average beer to me. Poured a little on the cloudy side, but cleared as it warmed. There was a sweet malt scent with a touch of hops. The start was somewhat malty sweet, but then the hops kick in with a dry, citrusy, grapefruit finish. As with the finish, the aftertaste was on the bitter side. The mouthfeel was a little creamy with a light to medium body and slight carbonation. Well balanced, but over all, the flavors are a bit subdued. This is a good brew that is quite drinkable, yet it didn’t seem to stand out too much to me. Would probably be an all around good beer that even non-BAs might enjoy. (627 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +12.7%

Aroma: Estery, butter like with notable yeast, citrus (orange like) and slight alcohol and hop notes. Inviting.
Appearance: Orange amber with a nice white head that subsides to a trace ring on the glass. Some carbonation kept going, but never kept a head. No lacing.
Flavor: Starts with a sweet fruitiness that quickly gets jumped on by a significant hop, but the balance is good.
Mouthfeel: Smoooth. Medium body, but that doesn’t do justice. Coats the mouth with a lingering bitter sweet. Liquid silk.
Overall Impression: Rouge has done it again. An outstanding beer. Drinkability is unsurpassed. Leaves a dry finish that triggers an almost instinctual next sip, and a great taste that rewards the impulse. I’m starting to run low, someone help!! (764 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -6.6%

Had this on tap at the Public House in San Francisco. A good beer, with a muddy brown color (in a good way) and a slight off-white collar. No lacing.

While my SO and i were compairing drinks (she had the Mocha Porter), I noticed my beer was significantly warmer than hers. I think the temp improved mine. Curious.

I couldnt get much smell out of mine, for some reason. There was malts and a good hop pronunciation.

A good mouthfeel. I think the slightly warmed servint temp helped here.

A pretty good beer that went well with the Clam Chowder I had. (561 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -6.3%

#5 of the all american spree.

this is certainly a nice bock. Pours a cloudy amber With a little white/tan head, very thin and short lasting that leaves traces of lacing and a ring as the beer goes down.

The smell combines some roast maltyness and a very strong perceivable 'Panela" (Jaggery) smell hiding under a citrusy feel that penetrates deep into the nose

The taste, mild sweetness given by a strong-above-all malt, and some alcohol continues right behind this first taste. Then follows a mild bitterness as well, and the body is substancially creamy.

Wouldn't particularly drink it as a thirst quencher, but the beer is very nice. (650 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +21.5%

22oz. bottle (though, I've recently seen it in six packs)

This being the first beer I have reviewed for BA, I decided to try to review a beer I know quite well.

Dead Guy Ale pours a beautiful deep reddish amber with a slightly creamy, off white head. The head gives way to the sweet but not too sweet aroma. I might detect some of the sweeter fruits that some poeple mention, apricot, raisin, etc., but for all I know, its ambrosia.

Which brings us to taste: wonderfully complex, both sweet and slightly bitter with overtones of the alcohol content. A seriously smooth mouthfeel, making this a perfect summer beer that is, happily, available year round. Well balanced, Dead Guy Ale makes one wonder if the Rogue brewers can brew anything thats not exceptional. A beer thats both warming and quite drinkable.
Tell your friends, if you don't know, now you know. (874 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +22%

Now Quaffing: Rogue - Dead Guy Ale

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite beers. To hell whether or not it 'adheres to the style', this is one of the best that Rogue has to offer. This proves they can do subtle as well as they do bold. Pours a clear dark copper with a a frothy off-white head. Aromas are all light and subdued--sweet, hoppy, grassy, inviting if nothing else. Everything else is all she wrote. There is a perfect balance of the malt and hop profile and neither is over done, although each dominate at different times. Tastes sweet--raisins-- followed by the smoothest hops and a slightly dry finish. I could (and have) drink this all night and I usually opt for variety. I can't wait to have it on tap again. (732 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +3.3%

Sampled on tap at Redbones.

This bock poured a cloudy/hazy amber-brown with hints of red, with white foam that settled but clung to the glass. The smell was spicy hops and sweet malt. The taste was sweet malt (caramel) and spicy hops near the finish. Nicely balanced flavors. The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy but dry and hoppy (almost chalky) at the finish and in the aftertaste. The body was medium and the carbonation low. This was a very tasty bock on tap. (465 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

I've heard so much about this brew that I just had to try it when I saw a big bottle of it at a local market. It poured a nice, slightly murky reddish orange with minimal head yet ample sticky lace coating the glass throughout. Attractive fruitiness and sweet malt on the nose with a little cooking caramel as well. The taste of this baby is really quite nice. Lots of caramel malt flavors and a slick buttery texture, that finds balance in nice grainy malty/hoppy interaction. This beer is superbly balanced and very flavorfull! I'm picking up more of that caramel corn thing as I finish this beer. This is some tasty stuff, and as I drink more of it, it becomes even more "drinkable! I would not call it a refresher, yet I would call it a damn good, turn on the AC and kick back in the chaise lounge summer sipper! (816 characters)

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales