Imperial Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2001

12 Ingredients:
Malts: Great Western, Harrington & Klages, Hugh Baird XLT-80, Black, Munich, Chocolate and rolled oats.
Hops: Willamette, Cascade and Chinook. Specialty: Two Secret ingredients.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

26º PLATO
73 AA
256º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 817 | Hads: 1,250
4.25/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours Black with a thin tan head.
S: Winey, estery aromas with some roast.
T: Moderate roast and chocolate coffee notes seasoned with dark dried fruit. A mild sweetness dries out by the finish. Lingering bitter chocolate aftertaste.
F: Moderately creamy, medium to medium full body, medium low carbonation.
O: A beer with big alcohol that goes well with the roast and the hops. A little thin for the style. (413 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottled in 2009. 87.5 IBU, 11%abv in a 7oz bottle (it's a baby beer, lol)

This has aged well, very smooth and easy drinking. With the age, it's very drinkable, but lacking depth of flavor. (191 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2013 edition with 109 IBUs (of happiness!).
Deepest light proof black color with a thick caramel head with good retention and leaving laces.
Nice aroma though not strong with lots of dark chocolate, their Pac-man yeast, non-grounded coffee beans, distant charcoal and piney hop notes.
Bold flavor with lots of spices, dark chocolate, cocoa powder, definitely licorice, charred wood, figs, grapefruit citrusy, oats, expresso coffee, tobacco, vanilla, resin and pine. Very dry and bitter aftertaste from hops and roasted malts.
Full thick body with perfect carbonation and a smooth sensation. Alcohol of 10% abv is very well hidden.
Great beer. Although bold, complex and hop forward, this is a very balanced and rounded imperial stout. Not sure why the nose didn’t anticipate its intense flavors and complexity.
Ps1. Do not compare this to the barrel aged versions sold nowadays, though it has this fancy ceramic bottle.
Ps2. the challenge in the US is that they have very good offerings at decent prices, and this is a bit steep over there. Here in Brazil they are all steep anyway... (1,086 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Not as robust and mouthy of a stout as I was expecting, but very good. Saw a homeless guy buying one with spare change at my corner liquor store. He recommended it highly. You know you live in the Bay Area when the bums on the corners all drink craft beers. Hey, what can I say, he was right...it's pretty good! My only gripe was the noticeable alcohol aftertaste, the malts and molasses flavors were a little overshadowed by the kick at the end. (446 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I’m pouring this out of a 750 ml ceramic bottle with a “Lightning” (spring type) closure. This bottle will be handy for bottling homebrew and is pretty cool. It might even work as a water bottle- although a bit heavy, I think it would keep liquid cool. It’s an awkward size to get filled at the brewery, however. The beer is 2014 vintage so it’s been aging a year at least. The highly informative label lists a bunch of ingredients, including several types of malt, oats, licorice. honey, etc. The bottle cost $15.19 at Hennessey Market in Butte, Montana.

My first sample was poured out moderately into a schooner glass and produced very little head but it was quite sticky. My first re-pour was aggressive, and managed to bring forth perhaps ¾ quarters of an inch of rich, brown suds. The brew is very viscous as I pour and reminds me of stout coffee. The beer is sufficiently dark that it nearly appears black- a Mini-Maglite (a strong little light) cannot penetrate the schooner. As the first sample nears completion, a rich darky ruddy brown color is revealed.

The aroma is pleasant but not overwhelming and definitely malty. The flavor is complex, not terribly bitter, and quite smooth and mellow. I detect definite notes of vinous dark fruit, molasses, chocolate, and maybe a little biscuit. Lightly charred, oaky, French-roasted coffee notes provide a mellow bitterness to balance. The mouth feel is smooth and frothy, almost chewy, and lingers on the tongue. Some boozy, fruity aftertastes round out the sip. I might detect a touch of honey here.

This is an excellent stout, and is one more experience drawing me closure toward this style of beer. I wish I could afford to shell out this kind of money for beer all the time! The keeper bottle makes it a better value. Good thinking Rogue!

Note: BA will not let me add this beer- they insist it already exists. However, this beer is obviously a newer incarnation, has a different name, it has different ingredients, a slightly lower ABV, etc. The name of this beer I’m rating is “XS Imperial Stout”. (2,101 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A: Poured out a very dark brown that was opaque. Nearly black. Two fingers of creamy brown head with good retention and heavy lacing.

S: Boozy caramel and chocolate.

T: Up front, it is very smooth with vanilla and chocolate flavors and it progresses to an earthy hop that leaves you with a bitter finish. Smooths out as it warms a little. Alcohol is hardly even detected.

M: Heavy body that is very sticky. Low carbonation.

O: Smooth is the word for this one. Worth the price for any stout drinker. The "2012" edition I drank even came in a collectible re-cappable bottle. I liked that it was already bottle aged for me so I didn't have to cellar it for optimal drinking. (675 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +20.2%

A. Poor was from a tap and not aggressive enough to have any head. No carbonation. Color is black/brown. No light gets through.
S. Roasted malt.
T. Coffee, dark chocolate, toffee, roasted malt.
M. Thick syrup, delicious.
O. Rouge did a very good job making this imperial stout. I recommend giving it a try. Hard ass buzz for 11% ABV. (333 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%

The bottle is different than the pictured in this review. I'm not tech savoy so f that upload shit.

Appearance: Dark as night with a good two finger head that dissipated slowly.

Smell: It smells of chocolate and something else I cant yet put my unexperienced palate on.

Taste: I'm getting a chocolate taste but a strong almost overwhelming and lasting bitterness that I haven't gotten with other imperial stouts.

Mouth feel: It is thick and and very nice mouth feel.

Overall: I'm not a great fan of this beer but I like the Rogue brand and would not be turned away from their brews. Thats why we have Baskin Robins and 32 flavors my friends, not everyone is going to love everything, overall not bad. (710 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the big ceramic bottle into a snifter glass. Vintage 2013.

Kind of awkward with the slapping chug out of the bottle, but comes out classic walnut dark brown, and makes a simple cocoa brown head of two fingers. Some faint see through quality around the edges under the collar, giving a lighter mahogany/chestnut/tan hue. Lots of leopard and spotty coating lacing on the glass, and big soapy bubbles in the middle.

A soft grainy action, and light charring roast comes through. It's quite subtle even for just a regular Imperial Stout. There's faint tobacco and hints of beef jerky and salt aromas to match. Hints at some smokey character interestingly.

Palate comes surprisingly with lots of hop bitterness. Big finishing notes of hop oil pine and resin. Matching bitterness of char and roast to go with it. This almost has American slammed barleywine written over it on a hop angle. Leafy charring roast is all over this thing to match and the two just seem to be fighting my palate. I am shocked there is so much bitterness on this for being what looks like an aged beer. Fruit berry of sour cherry comes through a bit as it warms for some pleasantries. Texture is also a bit wet as well, and seems slightly flattened.

Overall, it seems like a clash of flavors that don't really do it for me. It's not horrible but it's nothing like what I was expecting. So where's the malt and chocolate for starters? Oh well, glad to have tried it, not all is lost. (1,468 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2013 Release

Appearance - Pours deep and black with a near 2 finger's worth of khaki colored head. Good retention results in a thin,

Smell - Not getting much out of the aroma. Some roasty notes. Slight smoke. A bit of metallic twang. Light chocolate?

Taste - Chocolatey notes upfront. Faintly smokey with some coffee bitterness. Dark fruit emerges once it warms, hitting on light raisin notes, then a punch of dark chocolate and raspberry in the finish, with light coffee ground bitterness, dark chocolate and raspberry lingering in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Full in body with moderate carbonation. Silky and smooth with a light, drying finish.

Overall - While a near perfect example of the Russian Imperial style, I can't imagine buying this again for such a steep price; not when 4 packs of Old Raspy are out there for half the cost. This is better than Old Raspy; it's not 400% better (about the cost per ounce difference), nor is it better than their Double Chocolate Stout, which is about 40% cheaper. Basically what I'm saying is, this'll probably be the last time I buy it, lest I find it on tap. Love the aftertaste. (1,127 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -26.6%

A - Nice thick black pour, thick 2 finger tan head that settles to a cap. Soapy lacing down the side. Good looking beer.

S - Bitter dark chocolate and an earthiness in the nose. It's odd, mud? Burnt toast. Some hops and alcohol heat. Not the best smelling beer for me.

T - Bitter, to the point of off putting. It's overly hoppy for the style. I get a quick hit of sweetness then it's a char, smokey, earthy, bitter hop finish. Alcohol is well hidden though.

M - Smooth, low carbonation. It lacks that creamy feel I'm looking for. No oomph, it's just there.

O - This was a 2012 vintage given to me by my brother for Christmas to sway me on Rogue. It didn't work. I don't get the brewery or the beers they produce. This could pass for a poorly constructed black IPA. It just lacks what makes a great stout. Some odd smells and flavors. This tries to be different and succeeds but fails in doing so. (903 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

750 ml bottle into snifter, 2012 vintage bottling. Pours dense pitch black color with a 2 finger fairly dense dark tan head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, roasted malt, toast, dark bread, molasses, light char, pine, herbal, floral, and roasted earthiness; with a bit of booze. Nice aromas with solid balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt and earthy/pine hop notes; with good strength. Taste of huge dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, roasted malt, toast, dark bread, char, molasses, light toffee, pine, floral, herbal, and roasted earthiness. Good amount of pine/roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, roasted malt, toast, dark bread, char, molasses, light toffee, pine, floral, herbal, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Outstanding complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt and moderate earthy/pine hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and fairly full bodied; with a creamy, slick and moderately chalky/sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a small warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent Russian imperial stout! All around great complexity, balance, and robustness of dark/roasted malt and earthy/pine hops; and very smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A very enjoyable offering. (1,509 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Rogue's XS Imperial Stout a few weeks ago for $3.99 at The Beer Depot. I was looking for a couple beers that I couldn't get locally and I thought I would give this one a shot. so lets see how it goes. 2010 Vintage. Poured from a brown 7oz mini bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, it's pretty standard for Rogue and it's not that eye catching, but they get some bonus point for having good information on the bottle and the smaller bottles do make them stick on the shelf and they remind me of some mini corona bottles. It poured a dark pitch black color that didn't let any light come through at all and it had a thin ring that was a darker tan color that quickly faded to nothing and somehow it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a nice looking beer considering the style and how old it is, it doesn't look that bad.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up and they impart some nice roasted, slightly charred, chocolate/cocoa, and some sweet malt aromas with little bit of caramel and a slight bit of toffee showing up in the background. Up next comes a noticeable smokey aroma that leads into some nice dark fruit aromas. Towards the end there's a light soy sauce aroma with a pretty light alcohol aroma. This beer had a very good aroma, I thought it was pretty complex and seemed to have more than a few different layers to it.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart some roasted malt, slightly charred, slightly grainy, and chocolate like aromas with the chocolate and roasted malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a noticeable earthy flavor with a somewhat lighter amount of smoke coming through and there's a noticeable cardboard oxidation flavor, but it isn't as bad as some other aged beers I've had. On the finish there's hardly any alcohol flavors with a very slight soy sauce flavor and fairly higher amount of medium bitterness with a kind of watery roasted malt aftertaste that fades pretty quickly. This was a decent tasting beer, but I wish it was much more like the aroma, I think that it aged a little to long and it's past it's peak.

M- Fairly smooth, fairly rich, a little sticky, a little creamy, the lighter side of being thick bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a pretty decent example of a Imperial Stout and I think it passed it's peak, I have never had this beer fresh, so I have no clue what it was like then, but the bottle suggests this is best after being aged a year, so it's meant to be aged, but as far as I can see four years is just too much for this one and I bet it was pretty good a year or two ago. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, fairly rich, a little creamy, a little sticky, not too filling, and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, this 7oz bottle is the perfect amount for me and it makes for a nice cold weather sipper. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was really good and really complex. What I liked the least about this beer was the flavor, it wasn't nearly as complex as the aroma and i wish the taste didn't fade so fast. I would buy this beer again if i saw a fresher one, it's a little pricey, but I'm interested to see what it's meant to be like. I would recommend this to people who like the style, just don't let it age too long. All in all I think this one was just ok, but I think that mainly had to do with the age. Solid work guys, I'll have to try a fresher one to get a better idea of what this beer is all about.

Edit 2015. Had the chance to try it fairly fresh on tap and I thought it was pretty close to being average all the way around, not impressed with this one. (3,984 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +10.5%

2011 Vintage:

Unfortunately, I never had the chance to try this vintage unaged, so I cannot attest to what qualities have changed, or if it has mellowed at all. I can say that it was a wonderful stout, and one of the best I have had from Rogue. Lots of dark, roasted notes here in both smell and taste: toasted oats and malts with bitter chocolate. No florals or fruit really. Some leather and tobacco too, some bitterness. No booze whatsoever and it is exceptionally smooth, absolutely silky texture. Still a fair amount of carbonation for a beer that is almost three years old.

Fantastic beer, but this was actually kind of a sad moment for me. I had been holding onto this for a special occasion and opened this by accident thinking it was a Rogue Dead Guy XS. Disappointing that I couldn't let this rest for longer but fortunately able to share it with some other appreciative tasters. Wonderful stout, some bitterness and tons of roasty-ness that I love. A bit sweet and sticky, but not unusually so for the style. And I love the ceramic bottles. Must try. (1,063 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

A trip to most decent liquor stores in Calgary will feature the usual wallet murderers row of suspects from Rogue. I have yet to spy a bottle of this one in Calgary but lo and behold it is currently available at Beer Revolution. Ordered a full 12 oz. in the hopes that I could still walk out afterwards, a nearly pitch black murk with the odd hint of ruby red and thick tan foam. Apparently this brew includes two "secret ingredients" and oddly enough the first aroma to greet me was something much like coriander seed, a citrus-like spice. Hmmm. The more expected dark coffee and chocolate sauce aromas then arrived along with earthy and citrus rind hop notes and faint smoke that brought ham to my mind. Less spicy alcohol burn than some imperial stouts I've enjoyed but this one has its own charms. Taste is an initial spike of burnt sugar, followed by cacao powder, dry wood, cigar tobacco, walnuts, and some dark pressed coffee although I find the chocolate and woody spice notes more prominent than any sort of dark roasted coffee flavor. Also rather unique is a strong undercurrent of grapefruit rind-evoking hops and oily resins, almost like a dark IPA in this regard. This citrus rind became more salient as I made my way through the pint. Certainly quite a thick and chewy beer although more fizzy than some other imperial stouts which somehow lightens up the mouthfeel. Smooth and creamy like an oatmeal stout. The fusel alcohol burn does reveal itself but again I found this one to be less boozy than something like Lagunitas Imperial. Noteworthy and certainly worth snagging if you can. Interesting in terms of hitting certain elements from other styles, bringing to mind various aspects of dark IPAs (hops), Belgian ales (spice), and of course the blackest and thickest of the stout/porter clan. (1,809 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

My 1,000th full review, a 2011 vintage Rogue XS Imperial Stout that I've been holding onto for 2 years
A - fully impenetrable jet black, thumb of dark chocolate head held its own, plenty of spotty lacing
S - big notes of rich dark chocolate, milder hints of leather and espresso and a touch of candied cherry
T - chocolate flavour is more of dry cocoa mixed with dark pressed coffee, subtler notes of leather and tobacco, just a hint of piney hops and alcohol sweetness
M - big rich body, chalky through the middle, with more hop bitterness than I expected, slight warming sensation through the finish
O - I was expecting a big bold stout and that exactly what was delivered, very tasty yet mellow in terms of feel and the alcohol is not at all noticeable (may have faded a little over 2-3 years), a worthy candidate for a milestone review (844 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

poured from a 7 oz bottle that laid a cappuccino type head that displays a lot of legs on glass.

Wow with all the roasted malt coffee chocolaty aromas

The flavor follows the nose with wonderful chocolaty coffee roast malt heaven.

thick and creamy goodness

Ohhhh my this is something special. (296 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

7oz bottle of the 2009 vintage poured into a Duvel tulip. Thanks to yamar68 for this nice extra.

Appearance: Dark brown/black with very little head that quickly becomes just a ring.

Smell: Dark roasted malt, coffee & dark chocolate..

Taste: Bitter dark chocolate and coffee. This is a whole lot of dark roasted malt flavor in this little brew. Definitely has more bitter chocolate notes than other RIS's that I have had. This isn't a bad thing just a noticeable difference.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and clean on the palate.

Overall: A pretty flavor packed RIS, a little more bitterness than I generally prefer but still a pretty solid example of the style. (655 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A- Dark brown/black with minimal lacing, coffee in color medium legs

S- Bitter chocolate, bold malt, toffee

T- Bitter chocolate upfront and conquers palate for awhile. Then malt hits you. Left with bitter chocolate taste.

M- Drinks like a pretty good RIS, but the bitter chocolate actually leaves a sting. OK on carb, a bit high for me.

O- Little penis man sent me this as an extra. Its meh (396 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

7oz bottle served in a snifter
Vintage 2009

A - Pours a "dark brown edged" black color with a swift fading mocha head.

S - Old licorice/chocolate, rum, dates, chocolate cake batter, sweet bread.

T - Cocoa cake batter, sweet cream, heavily roasted malts, astringent bitterness, cherries, espresso, bitter chocolates, moderate leafy hop oils, chlorophyll, tobacco, goes right back to dry roasted chocolate malts, finishes with with moderate roasted bitterness, coating the tongue with hop oils.

M - Silky feel, medium and heavy at different stages, still a good amount of creamy carbonation, dry and bitter finish.

Wow! I haven't had this fresh but this is still pretty harsh. Nice aroma but the roasted coffee/malts, mixed with the resinous hop oils make for a stout and astringent drink. I'm very surprised the hop oils are still very bitter. 4 years has not mellowed this out. This could go for at least 2 to 3 more years. Wish I had another one of this vintage. (970 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 7oz bottle into a St. Bernardus baloon glass. Vintage 2009. Served at cellar temp.

Appearance- Black with zero head. Mild mocha lacing near the rim of the glass.

Smell- Bitter chocolate mingles with port-like booze characteristics. Coffee and faded hops come into play along with some light stone fruit. Truly, very nice.

Taste- Wow. Very bitter chocolate and coffee dominate this. Mild booze comes through, but mostly in the feel and not so much the taste. Faded hops mix well with the dark chocolate malts. Bitterness lingers long after the first couple sips.

Mouthfeel- Lighter bodied than expected. Mild carbonation with a little heat at the end.

Overall- Very happy that this beer came out so good. This was more or less my first attempt at "cellering" a beer (bought it around this time last year). Very nice flavor. Nice night cap. (858 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2011 vintage.

A: Pours pitch black with a dense, dark cocoa brown head. Fades at a moderate pace. Head awakens easily, great retention. Thick continuous patchwork of lacing everywhere

S: Lots of cocoa and char with some roasted coffee to boot. Quite a bit of anise. Kind of creamy, maybe some oatmeal?

T: Chocolate up front with some coffee and char mixed in. Sweet grainy taste in the middle, I assume oatmeal? Some anise in there too. Bitter coffee and sharp baker's chocolate in the finish. Resinous, oily hops add to the bitterness in the finish, surprising after a couple of years. Zero sign of the 11% ABV.

M: Heavy, thick, viscous and a bit creamy.

O: A really nice RIS. It's big, heavy and slick. Just the way I like an RIS, with pure heavy roasted malt character. Lots of black patent malt and chocolate for sure. A lot can have dark fruits in them but not this one. Only addition is a little bit of hops to break it up. Probably a lot hoppier when it's fresh, if I'm honest. Not sure if that would be an improvement or not - will have to seek one out someday. Very tasty overall, I found it very similar to brooklyn BCS but with a little less chocolate. (1,171 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bought myself a Cask at Bruisin' Ales in Asheville with my lovely girlfriend!

A- This stout is dark as night and you need a dewalt flashlight to see through it

S- there seems to be a distinct roasted coffee aroma

T- A smooth roasted taste with a dark coffee backend

M- crisp and doesn't linger

O- a tasty Russian stout with a mean kick, Thank you comm-rad (360 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Got a 7oz bottle of this from Tacoma Boys. It's called 'Russian Imperial Stout' on the label. Pours almost like motor oil. Incredible appearance. Very lively and inviting. Big light brown head that sustains for the entire beer, and leaves nice lacing down sides of glass. Dark brown color. Sweet earthy fragrance with an almost light fruitiness. THICK feel. Beer could be a meal I believe. Coffee and dark chocolate flavors. Little alcohol in the flavor as well but it's not overpowering. Pretty bitter aftertaste that lingers. Lightly carbonated. Great beer. Only flaws for me were it could be a little sweeter, and that its syrupy. (633 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +0.2%

2011 vintage in 750ml ceramic fliptop bottle. Into standard pint.

A: small mouth forced a fairly agressive pour. Came out SUPER thick and black. Got 2 fingers of frothy rich mocha head. Head is falling to a thick cap and leaving sheets of lace. May as well try to look through a wall, I bet more light gets through than this beer.

S: a tad fruity actually, odds are from the high alcohol. Dark fruits and rich roasty notes. Not much chocolate though. Some coffee notes in there too.

T: roasty toasty goodness. big coffee flavor, a little sweet, a little bit of that dark fruit (raison and currant). Finishes mighty bitter with a big hard hit of hops.

M: thick and rich but thinned down by the high alcohol. Just right on carbonation.

O: good stuff, glad its in a big bottle. Glad I got this. All around a good stout. (821 characters)

Imperial Stout from Rogue Ales