Imperial Stout - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-21-2001

12 Ingredients:
Malts: Great Western, Harrington & Klages, Hugh Baird XLT-80, Black, Munich, Chocolate and rolled oats.
Hops: Willamette, Cascade and Chinook. Specialty: Two Secret ingredients.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

26º PLATO
73 AA
256º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Imperial Stout Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Presentation: 750 ml stoneware bottle. Cellared for one year @ 55-65 degrees as I've heard that this brew does well with some age. I'm hoping this holds true, as the young version was wildly untamed and a bit of a disappointment from the reviews that I've read.

Appearance: Beer just doesn't get much darker or more viscous than this beauty. Looks like melted chocolate poured into a snifter. Achieved a decent two-finger head. Promising thus far.

Nose: There are hops in the nose to be sure, and dark-roast coffee is at the forefront. With the bitterness that I smell, it is pleasant to find a bit of sweetness in here as well. Could be fruit. We'll see where this goes

Taste: The coffee that I detected in the nose is definately there. Great hop bitterness, and the alcohol is less noticeable than I had expected given the ABV. You can't miss the cocoa in this brew, but the fruit that I detected in the nose didn't necessarily pan out. There is roasty-toasty goodness to the this bottle, and I'm beginning to think that I jumped the gun a bit. Perhaps could have held out for colder weather. Oh well, an impulsive nature has its merits.

Mouthfeel: Viscosity noticed in the pour translates equally as well on the palate. Just a monster. This stout is smooth as silk, and creamy, but the oily bitterness is a welcome complement.

Drinkability: Coming to the end of this bottle, I must say it's hitting me pretty hard. Not that I expected to drink more than one of these. Drinkability is a delight in moderation. Great when paired with a raspberry cheesecake, sprinkled with toasted almonds.

Verdict: Not everything that I expected, but then, my expectations were quite high. I am going to let my next bottle have three years to mull it over. Think it could use that long to mellow out and gain in complexity. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this brew, and will come back for more.

4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

Obtained in trade with ncvbc.

2006 model 750 ML ceramic reclosable ceramic bottle.

Used Motor oil colored beer and easily as thick as that. Small brown head forms could be a little better there.

Smell is sweet figs and prunes with chocolate, coffee and coconut. There is a little berry in here but I can't id it, blackberry or cherry can't decide.

The taste starts out bittersweet chocolate and a trace of Kahlua. There is a sharp bitterness in the finish of this that is nearing excessive at least at the start. Berry flavor upfront tastes like blackberries on baker’s chocolate. Little bit of coconut in with the coffee but this is a quite bitter RIS.

Mouthfeel is quite thick.

Hmm OK I have tasted better. Off hand I would say that this has a bit too much patent malt and that made it overly bitter. This could be better if the bitterness wasn't so intrusive. Think I will be sticking with Stone RIS.

4.88/5  rDev +21.1%

In honor of Michael Jackson. This was one of the first selections when the rare beer club started and the first of the XS 750ml line. Farewell! This is from late 2004.

The aroma is thick with chocolate and roast malt. Fruity yeast fermentation esters and just the slightest hint of hop oil. No oxidation that I can pick out which is outstanding for a 2.5 year-old bottle.

Black as can be. No light even when held up. Starts with a 1/2-3/4 inch thick tan head that fades to a 1/4 inch persistent layer of creamy goodness. Leaves good lacing too.

Rather hop bitter for the style. Lots of hop oil remains despite the age. But the follow through is a sweet malt flavor that is almost like black treacle. Very fruity with dark overripe pit fruit flavors and raisins. Add in substantial black and roast malt and it's pretty much everything I want in an impy stout flavor wise. Aftertaste is mostly roast character.

Big full bodied, almost thick. Not noticeable alcohol at all with this much age.

Really an excellent sipping/savoring beer.

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

Bottle is from 2006, 750 ml ceramic bottle with the swing top on it. The beer pours black with a half inch brown head. Head retention is low, lacing is OK. The aroma is very good, it smells like roasted malt, coffee, dark fruit, chocolate and some hops. It tastes like coffee, bittersweet chocolate, molasses, anise, and roasted/burnt malt. The flavor is strong and there's a good balance between sweet and bitter. The alcohol heat is noticable too, but not overpowering in the taste. Mouthfeel is full, with a coating finish it's heavy and smooth. Drinkability is good, but could be better. Overall I think this is a decent RIS, but not quite a great one. With that being said, I'll still drink this again in the future as it's a good solid brew.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

From a giant 750 mL, ceramic swing-top bottle. Brewed with Willamette, Cascade, and Chinook hops and a dosage of rolled oats; 87.5 IBUs. It pours inky black, with a thin cocoa head that leaves bits of lacing here and there. Smells like a box of chocolates, with coffee, dark fruits, roasted malts, anise?, and hints of Tootsie Rolls. The first sip begins almost thin, but it quickly becomes rich and roasty, with bitter dark and sweet milk chocolate, strong raisiny/port notes, roasted/burnt malts, coffee, tobacco, hints of leather and licorice, and a hefty bitterness from the leafy/green hops, which, along with the ABV, contribute some heat to the mouthfeel. The body is smooth, silky and quite dry, medium to full with low carbonation, and it leaves a long-ass, bitter finish. Overall, a damn fine beer - big, complex, and deceivingly strong (as evidenced by the spelling errors in my notebook) - I can't wait to sample the 2002 version I found a while back.

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

toffee nut head that was disappointingly bubbly and dissipated quite fast. still left a nice sticky coffee colored lace the beer itself poured a black as the dark ceramic 500ml bottle in which this brew came. the smell was one of dizzying proportions, the perfect mix of coffee, sweet malts, and hops. the initial taste left such a long dry and welcomingly bitter finish in my mouth. i just ended up savoring every last gulp of this heavy but refreshingly bitter and hoppy brew. leave it up to rogue to make yet another brew that breaks the mold.

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%

I was very excited to see the Rogue Imperial Stout on tap at the Concordia Ale House in Portland! Six bucks for an imperial pint...I'm not complaining about the price for this gem of a beer.

Color was black. No light showing through. Moderate, somewhat short-lived head that was very dark brown. Darker head than most beers. Overall, has an ominous look to it.

Smell is strong and bitter, that is balanced by molasses. Also noticed alcohol, dark chocolate, dark roast coffee grounds. Very black roasted grain smells, along with earthy, bittering hops.

Taste is huge. Overpowering flavors fill the mouth. Well balanced sweetness and bitterness. I noticed very strong and distinct molasses, especially as the beer warmed. Dark chocolate and coffee as well. Flavors overwhelm anything else, and last a loong time. I love the complexity.

Body is appropriately thick and heavy. Not quite syrupy, but on its way there. Low carbonation. Coats the mouth, enhancing the lingering flavors. The alcohol is noticeable and warming, though somewhat obscured. At 11%, this is not a beer for the faint of heart.

This is an excellent beer, so strong and powerful. It commands your attention, but might leave you with your attention capacities slightly impaired.

3.88/5  rDev -3.7%

got this one from alohaC as part of the BA secret bunny 2007. thanks christian!

750ml swing top ceramic bottle, capped. 2006 vintage.

pours deep inky black with a huge dense brown head. the head drops slowly and leaves tons of lace.

aroma is great. light roast. tons of dark chocolate. coffee. anise. bit of alcohol.

taste is good. medium-high bitterness level. bittersweet chocolate. light espresso. bit of anise. biscuity malt. light alcohol.

mouthfeel is ok. fairly astringent. medium carbonation level. nice big body.

drinkability is good. well balanced and quite enjoyable. this one might have scored better if it wasn't overshadowed by the fantastic kuhnhenn american imperial stout i had earlier in the night.

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%

I was a little nervous about this one, costing 15 bucks to fill up my growler and me just building my interest in stouts and I don't like to look at reviews on here before I try something, but I am generally a fan of Rogue's beers so I decided to give it a go. Into a glass it went dark, dark brown, almost-but-not-quite black and whipped up a frothy oak-colored head that didn't last too long, but left a ring clinging to the top of the glass. The smell wasn't overpowering, but included chocolate and heavy cream, it could have been stronger. The taste is really quite good, chocolatey and roasty with a lip-smacking cream finish and warming alcohol all the way down. This is what I want from a stout, I sort of wish it was wintertime right now so I could enjoy it totally, although on a cooler, rainy summer day, this is really hitting the spot. I give this a 4 for drinkability because it goes down well, too well in fact, and I could see myself getting absolutely kablammo in a short time if I had enough of this costly brew.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

From a Growler into a snifter. 2006 vintage.

Pours an opaque black with a large brown head that quickly drops to a slight ring. Some lacing left around the glass.

Smell is of chocolate mostly with a hint of licorice and alcohol.

Taste is dominated by chocolate at first then is followed by a bit of coffee and a serious alcohol finish. Lots of heat on this one!

Drinkability is lower because of the high abv. and potent alcohol flavors.

Overall a fine RIS. Will probably pick this one up again.

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

7oz bottle received in the No BS BIF Beta from HimerMan. Bottled in 1997.

Poured in a Rapscallion glass, with some light bubbling around the rim, over the opaque dark brown/black brew. No lacing here, but this one has some legs when swirled. Aroma is heavy dark sweetness with figs and alcohol. Taste begins the same dark roasty maltiness, hits some dark fruits quick, and then more or less evaporates off the tongue and is almost gone before you can swallow. Or so it would seem, making an incredible mouthfeel, and drinkability is insane as well. Not that I'll get the chance again, but if I did, I would choose this one again in a moment.

3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

When poured down the inside edge of the glass this brew looks dark brown and settles into a black looking body. Frothy 1 1/2 finger head is brown and not very sturdy. Quick swirls don't bring it back. Alcohol is one of the first aromas detected, but is quickly overrun by chocolate, rum, and coffee. Caramel and burnt vanilla also come to mind.
Taste is mainly baked chocolate and weak coffee. Toffee, molasses, rum and alcohol lay just beneath the surface. While not rich or over indulged with alcohol, this brew is not as enjoyable to drink as it might seem (to me). However, it is still a solid beer and I'm glad I do have another bottle.

4.42/5  rDev +9.7%

Bottled in 2003; tasted 6/11/07

Appearance: Pours a murky dark brown color with a modest tan head that drops to a ringlet rather quickly (to be expected from an Impy Stout this old)

Smell: Rich aroma of bittersweet chocolate and chicory as well as rum-soaked dark fruit

Taste: Starts with a fruity flavor of chocolate covered prunes and figs that, by mid-palate, displays a peppery bitterness; after the swallow, the chocolate flavors overwhelm and provide a rich fudgy finish

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with modest carbonation

Drinkability: Four years later and this is still going strong; excellent brew

2.78/5  rDev -31%

OK, so the guys at Rogue have made their point with this one. Pours very dark (like no light can escape from the inky blackness) with one of the darkest heads I have ever seen. Bitter coffee stout warmth on the front. Then... wait for it... wait a little longer... THERE, a long and bitter finish that lingers.

To my taste, this beast is a little over the top, the other thing Rogue gets into sometimes. A little flat/simple in terms of flavor. Also a just plain flat
(lacking carbonation).

2.81/5  rDev -30.3%

Sampled at the 2007 Mondiale de la Bière.

Pitch black brew with a slim but tight tan head.

Not much of an aroma here, faintly hoppy with a bit of coffee.

Flavour is sugary with caramel notes and dark chocolate. Dominating hop bitterness reminds me mostly of strong black tea with a slight citric bite. A bit of burnt toast lingers with the hop bitterness. Definitely some hot alcohol notes as well.

Very full-bodied with fairly low carbonation.

I was expecting more from this beer. There was too much going on in the hops department to really be able to enjoy the complex roasted flavours that I'm looking for in an imperial stout. Too harsh to be very drinkable.

4.02/5  rDev -0.2%

Cool looking ceramic bottle (circa 2006) holds an impressive looking beer. Pours a straight black head with a nice chocolate mousse head that recedes to just cover the surface of the beer.

Smell is of chocolate chip cookies, brownies, heavy roasted malts with a tinge of alcohol and hops. Taste is straight dark chocolate, like a dark, bitter chocolate bar from somewhere abroad, a nice, but noticeable alcohol warmness hits the back of your throat as it goes down showing you the 11 percent it has inside.

This beer didn't impress me at first, but after it warmed a little, the flavor really popped out. Good stuff, but not quite the most drinkable beer (to be expected) because of its potency.

2.18/5  rDev -45.9%

Think I might have gotten a bad bottle, I hesitated to add this review at all. A 2006 bottle purchased in Gatlinburg in May 2007.

Poured a really good looking beer, typical jet black, little to no head. Smell of soy sauce, alcohol, and coffee.

Taste: Pure alcohol, this stuff was harsh. I'm a bourbon fan which I like to sip straight on the rocks and this stuff seemed to have more alcohol burn than cheap bourbon. I couldn't taste anything else due to the eye watering sear.

Mouthfeel: Don't know, didn't leave it in my mouth long enough to find out.

Drinkability: How drinkable do you think I thought it was?

3.31/5  rDev -17.9%

I purchased a 750mL ceramic bottle from John's Grocery in Iowa City as a graduation present to myself. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, I was unable to enjoy this until today as a birthday gift for myself.

A: It poured a nice opaque black and very thick. The head was a dark tan, about 1/2" in height that quickly diminished. It did not leave clean lace rings as I enjoyed it, but rather small amounts of lace (1" in length) along the sides of the glass.

S: I detected a nice dual nose to this beer. After pouring and upon agitation, the nose is full of alcohol with hardly anything else. After standing for a short time, the nose is noticeably more complex, with roasted malt, oak, some caramel and some alcohol.

T: I was imagining a strong Shakespeare Stout when I purchased this bottle, but that is not what I got. I did get a very nice palate of roasted malt and slight coffee taste of the Shakespeare, but also a mouthful of alcohol taste. While many people may rate this beer lower on taste due to this, I was pleasantly surprised that for a beer with an alcohol content of 11%, the alcohol taste was not as overpowering as I had expected.

M: The mouthfeel was of a good thick stout. I felt like I was drinking a nice, heavy stout.

D: The drinkability of this beer is quite simple- One and Done. This is not a beer you can drink all night long, or even finish the full 750mL bottle in a single session. I was very happy the guys at Rogue included a swing-top cap for this bottle so you can save it for a later time.

This was a terrific beer, but I am unsure if it was worth the $15 I spent on a bottle.

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

This is my review of the 1997 7oz bottle, poured into a Stone Imperial Russian Stout glass.

First off, these bottles are really awesome, and I am considering using 187ml bottles for my next homebrew.

Anyway - pours with literally a penny's head sitting flat on a desk absolutely black and medium-thickness.

Huge chocolate smell that has a nice roasted/smoked coffee notes that are really easy to pick up.

This is a benchmark in imperial stouts, one of the best on the market. Huge flavor, nice bitterness that is balanced with the chocolate and light coffee-ish flavor that blends nicely on each aftertaste.

Incredibly easy beer to drink - especially after this beer was aged for 10 years. Clearly, it is holding up exceptionally well and after my other review of the 2001 (sampled in the end of 2006), there is no reason to think they will go bad any time soon. After I had the 2001, I was hoping to try something older – and after trying the 1997 and 1996, I am not nervous at all about any bottles from after 2001 – they will age perfectly.

I would highly recommend anyone trying this beer, truly outstanding, and a great collector’s piece since the 7oz bottles haven’t been used since 2000.

Cheers.

4.02/5  rDev -0.2%

Ceramic swingtop bomber (which I HAD to stuff into my girlfriend's jacket and take home) at the Map Room. Last beer of the night, and it was a good one.

Pours black and opaque, with a finger and a half of lingering, lacing tan head.

The aroma is chocolate, coffee, and both sweetness and astringency from dark-roasted malts. It smells rich and heavy.

And it tastes rich and heavy. Opens up with malty sweetness, with chocolate and coffee notes appearing mid-palate. Finishes with light black malt bitterness. Unlike the other two Rogue stouts I've tasted (especially Shakespeare), it doesn't taste like they stuffed every plug of Cascade in Oregon into the pot, and the beer is much better for it. If hops are present at all, they are very light and blend indistinguishably with the black malts. Alcohol is present, but this beer really doesn't taste all that hot for 11% ABV.

Mouthfeel is thick, heavy, and chewy; exactly what I wanted when I ordered it.

The beer is too heavy and too high in alcohol to be drinkable, but that's expected.

NOTE: The ceramic swingtop bottle design is much cooler than the bottle pictured, but I'd imagine in a store it's a typical Rogue ripoff.

3.61/5  rDev -10.4%

A- Black with beautiful light brown head... perfect appearance.

S- Equally malty and hoppy, both very strong, and a little alcohol in the back. A very sweet and very bitter nose... both well done.

T- Initially roasty with burnt malt, but immediately afterwards, tons of hops... tons of hops. But it's good. the roastiness and burnt malt flavor slightly override the sweetness and the alcohol, but all are evident.

M- Thick and smooth, with medium carbonation and a lingering dry astringency from the extreme bitterness in the finish.

D- Not overly drinkable, because of the crazy strong flavor of it. Especially because it's out of a 22 oz bottle. But still good.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Via trade with HimerMan. 2001 vintage, 12 oz bottle. Big brown head that falls in a short time, huge viscous black body. The last once ploops out of the bottle like sludge. Mercaptan and some diacetyl, with huge black malt notes like scortched blackstrap molasses. Great beer aged, as the harsh bitterness has sucumb to the sweet roasted malts. Almost like taking a stout and melting dark chocolate into it. Stainingly, black hole black body, and would stain worse than red wine. Excellent beer, and a perfect example of it's style. Begging to be cellared, I enjoy this beer much more now than when fresh. Chewy, dehydrating, challanging, darn near perfect for a nightcap. Excellent. Cheers!

PS Rogue, stop bottling this beer in a HUGE ASS 750 crock and go back to the 6oz nips. What are you trying to do to us?

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This one pours from 750ml ceramic bottle(no date on bottle) an almost pitch black as I can see some slight reddish hues. The tannish head of foam is quite small and there's very little lacing.

The smell has a lot going on. I get a lot of chocolate, toffee, sweet caramel, coffee, and a pretty strong nose of the more than ample alcohol.

The taste is huge. Lots of chocolate and cofee with big notes of caramel hit my taste buds on my first sip. As I take further sips, I'm getting some dark fruit, plum and maybe some semi sweet cherry, but the complexity is really very tasty. The finish on it is a mix of bitterness from the coffee and a slight tartness from the dark fruit. Alcohol wise, I'm not getting a burn from it that I imagined I would judging from the smell but once it goes down, there *is* a slight warming in the stomach for me and man, is this one a thick rich brew when it comes to the body! But it's nice. Yep, this is very nice. I think I'll get another couple of bottles(here in Casper, US$11.99 each) and do a bit of aging to see how things go.

Well, I've finished the 1/2 a glass I had in my New Belgium Goblet and I'm going to put this baby away until tomorrow. "Resealing" the bottle was a bit of a chore but I'm happy that it was as it should keep the beer fine carbonation wise...heck, it's lightly carbonated to begin with, eh? ;^)

Bottom line: It's been a few years since I last had this Imperial Stout...I'm glad it showed up in town again as I think it is one fine sipping example of the style. Highly recommended!

PS: I see a few people reviewed the 750s and mentioned seeing a vintage year. It's not on mine.

3.92/5  rDev -2.7%

i have reviewed this beer, but not this vintage. it's a 2002. ooohhhh

not much chance of a head on this guy. a collar clings to the glass and wisps of tiny bubbles flow through the currents in the black sea

it's somewhat oxidized (what did i expect?) but it isn't enough to fight off roasty notes. moments of coffee-like malt bitterness

it's certainly thinner than the young bottles. heat is only a suggestion at the end of each sip, while blackness dances over the tastebuds. hop bitterness is altered, as it only operates covertly, slyly creaaping from the darkness to be noticed only at the last moment. it's deep and mature, though not as smooth as i had imagined

is it a better beer than when it was young? different

it's interesting to compare to my other review

2.57/5  rDev -36.2%

I have to say, I honestly don't see what everyone likes about this beer. I love the majority of Rogue beers, but this one was a huge disapointment...

A: Looks awesome, thick and black with a think dark tan head.

S: This was the first sign that this may be a disapointment. smell was faint, burnt toast and hops and that was about it. Nothing really grabbed my attention.

T: All I could taste was bitterness, like I just drank a shot of strait espresso. Any other flavors were completly overpowered by bitterness.

M: Not as think as it looked, but very smooth none the less. Medium carbonation.

D: For 11bucks I don't think I'll be giving this another try.

Imperial Stout from Rogue Ales