Smoke Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.00% ABV

Label of 22 oz bottle:

12 Ingredients: Great Western, Harrington, Klages, Munich & Hugh Baird Crystal, Carastan 30/37 & 13/17, Chuck's Alderwood Smoked Munich & Bamberg Beechwood Smoked Malts; Saaz & Perle Hops, Free Range Coastal Waters & Top Fermenting Pacman Yeast. No Chemicals, Preservatives or Additives.

DEDICATED TO THE FALL OF THE BERLIN WALL.

A German Style Rauchbier with an orange-amber hue, a delicate smoke aroma and flavor, with an intense hop finish.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 48 IBU

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoke Ale Alström Bros

4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

A: copper in color and crystal clear. Off-white head quickly diminishes in to a thin film.

S: aroma is bold, and dominated by smoke. Other aromas include bacon and toast.

T: off-dry with heavy notes of bacon and toasty bread.

M: full body and creamy. A nice compliment to the aggressive flavor of this beer.

D: a delicious brew that is well worth a try. One of the better varieties of a rare style.

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.72/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Brownish/Orangish hue with a small head that fell to a thing ring.

S-Sorda smells like there Chipotle beer.I can smell the smoke.

T-WOW! This stuff is tasty.I can really taste the smoke in it.There is a slight hop finish.I think the malts are masked by the smoke.I can taste the Pac-man yeast in this as all the Rogues.

M-Medium bodied and goes down smooth.The smoke taste is awesome and its in your face.Not overly carbonated.

D-This stuff was a godsend.I have to pick up a couple bombers next time.It was really tasty and hits the spot.I would recommend this to anyone that enjoys good beer.Hail to the berlin wall for falling.

4.65/5  rDev +22.4%

I think I am in love with smoke beers and this Rogue offering doesn't do anything except make me want them even more than before... What a wonderful beer... It pours a nice orange/amber color and has a decent white head. It's aroma is filled with a robust smokiness that I can get lost in and the flavor is very much the same in that regard. It is damn fine all by itself, but would be killer paired with some smoked foods.

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%

If you want it let me hear you say "Gimme some more"

-Busta Rhymes

Found this one at Nikki's... I love me a good smoked beer, so this one was an instant buy. Rogue is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries, as I need two hands to count their awesome beers.

A- A nice, caramel/rust beer. A beautiful, billowy cloud head is floating on this one.

S- Smoke from a mile away. I'm reminded of Aecht Schlenkerla's Weizen... smells like smoked meats, wood, campfires, and tastiness. Mmmm.

T- Pretty fucking awesome. Lacking some of the nuttiness/meatiness of the Aecht Schlenkerla, this still provides bundles, buckets, oodles of flavor. A nice smoked malt propels this beer to the front of the class. I taste mild hops, a nice balance, but the smoked malt is the main event and is fan-fuckin-tastic.

M- Crisp, tasty... gimme some more! I love this beer.

D- For me, through the roof. I love a good smoked beer, and Rogue has brought its heavy guns to this battle. I am impressed, and find this to be almost an equal to the Schlenkerla beers, which is about the highest compliment I can pay any smoked beer. Seek this one out, cherish it, and bathe in it if you must. A world-class beer.

4.55/5  rDev +19.7%

Not much experience with smoked ales, but I may seek more after this. Pours a hazy copper orange color with a small head that died quick.The aroma is moderately hoppy with a good hint of smoke, but does nothing to prepare you for the taste. This beer tastes like smoked cheese, and I love it. Bacon fat and smoked cheese rule the tongue, with some hops trying to work their way into the picture, balancing things out. This is by far the "Smokiest" beer I have had. Mouthfeel is carbonated and slick at the same time, going down way easy. Immensly drinkable, but I imagine this is a "hit or miss" type beer. You either love it or you hate it. I love it.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz bottle.

A - Poured a medium amber, forming a 1 inch white head. Light spots of lace stick to the glass.

S - Strong aroma of smoked malt and spices. Strong and intoxicating!

T - Just as inviting as the aroma. Good flavor of smoked malts and cooking spices. The flavor coats the palate, and stays long after the swallow.

M - Thin bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Very smooth finish.

D - Absolutely delicious flavor. In a world with very few smoked beers, this is a welcome for people like me. Fantastic flavor and decent alcohol level allows for a few of these. My only disappointment is that this is not available in my state (yet).

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

Painted bomber poured into an imperial pint. No dates given.

Dark amber, almost light brown, with a two finger head that is light tan and falls quickly to a 1cm layer of foam. Light lacing effect.

Smoke dominates the nose. Not that cheap liquid smoke that is used in cooking, but this has a real aroma like wild fish or game that has been smoked over soaked wood chips. Not over the top; there's a slight sweetness from the malts underneath. Mouthwatering.

Smoke dominates the taste as well. Again, its not out of control as the malts maintain their place, and there's a quick hop bite towards the end. Has a slight juiciness in the middle. Well balanced.

Moderate mouthfeel with just a bit of tongue tingle from the carbonation. I could session this at a bbq or next to a campfire.

This is one of the Rogues that's worth the money.

4.45/5  rDev +17.1%

Deep copper with a rocky off white head that needed no prodding to produce.

Malty with rauch undertones. Not very aroma hoppy.

Smoke at first with sweet malt that comes up to balance it out. Long smoky finish. I can't find much in the way of hops. Wonderful!

Thick and smooth with just the right amount of CO2 to give it a bit of zing.

A great beer that I could make a session of.

Just a great beer. This might be the perfect smoke beer to begin sampling this style with. A beautiful match with the Cajun-style red beans and rice I'm having for a late lunch. Matches very well with rye bread as well. This might be the perfect meal.

4.45/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Never had one before so I decided to try it. I have had quite a few since.

A- Slightly cloudy amber that pours a nice head but it fades pretty fast. It leaves nice lacing though.

S- Smoke! Smooth though like mesquite. Maybe malt and some light spices.

T- Great smoky taste. I love smoked meats and the smell of a campfire so this is right up my alley. Nice additions of malt and very light sweetness with some herb and spices.

M- Maybe the creamiest and smoothest I've ever drank. Very nice and thick.

D- You might not like it if you don't like the smell of smoke or the taste of smoked meat but why are you trying it then. Other wise delicious.

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours caramel with a rocky 5 fingers+ light tan head. Good head retention& some lacing

S: Smoked ham & loads of it

T: Smoked ham & then caramel notes sneak in. A slight hop bite on the edge of the tounge & then some peppery notes. Finishes smokey& sweet

MF: Medium body & good carbonation. Pretty good balance

Drinks fairly easy. This more restrained than I remember tastes I've had in years past. This is an excellent breakfast (with eggs & grits!) or BBQ beer. This could almost pass as a Bamberg Rauch IMO, almost

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

A: A light color, good carbonation, with a thick white head.
S: Extremely strong scent of smoke, smells of a backyard BBQ, very inviting. No hop smell present.
T: Tastes almost exactly as it smells, very much like a pulled pork BBQ with some salty and sweet notes that leave you begging for another sip. People often dislike this beer for its imbalance, I personally think that is its strong point. I have found no other beer with such a strong smoke flavor. I do not find the flavor overpowering to the point that you can only enjoy one.
M: A light feel as you drink, a good carbonation for this type of beer.
D: I could drink this beer all day. One of my favorites by Rogue, this beer put them on the map for one of my favorite breweries. I would highly recommend this beer for a night backyard BBQ or watching the game with some wings. Cheers!

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Clear bronze-ish gold with big headed bubbles on the edge. Smoky beechwood aromas and flavors dominate with a very malty base but not sweet in any way. Light-medium bodied with a strong smoky finish.

Not nearly as smoky as I remember from original tastings (maybe due to age) but certainly not weak either.

Per bottle:
14.5 P. 48 IBU. 20.6 L. 76 AA
Malts: Great Western Harrington, Klages, Munich, Hugh Baird Crystal, Carastan (30-37 and 13-17), Chuck's Alderwood Smoked Munich and Bamberg Beechwood Smoked malts.
Hops: Saaz and Perle hops.

1990 - GABF - Gold
1991, 1992, 1993 - GABF - Silver

'97' emb on bottom
Tasted: 08/05/06

($3.49 / 7 oz. Rogue-XS bottling)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own home. From a 22-oz bomber to a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber with a little head.

Smell: Smoky charcoal.

Taste: A little malty and an interesting smokiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to late bodied.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink. I would definitely consider this a session beer. This was my first smoke ale, and I really enjoyed it.

4.4/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

After loving the Chipotle Ale I was looking forward to trying this Rogue specialty brew. I have really enjoyed all the "smoked" beers that I've encountered so far.

Pours with a somewhat creamy off white head that is about 2 fingers thick. Fairly nice retention yet no lacing to speak of later. The beer is a deep amber color with decent clarity. No visible carbonation.

Aroma is certainly smoky and immediately reminded me of the Chipotle Ale.

My wife tried this and immediately commented that it tasted like bacon. Frankly, I don't taste bacon, but can certainly understand the comment. Now for my third reference to the Chipotle Ale. It really reminds me of the other beer without the spicy nature. Deep roasted/smoked flavor with a nice malt backbone. There is a nice hop bite towards the end that melds nicely with the smoky tones.

Medium bodied and smooth feel. Very delicate carbonation.

I love this and it went very well with our BBQ Pork (smoked) Another winner from Rogue. Well done!

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

Cloudy amber appearance with an off white head. Smell is very smokey as expected. But the taste had a much more toned down smokiness to it, which I liked. The smoke taste is there and lingers in my mouth but it does not overwhelm. Hops are quite spicy and mix excellently with the smoked malt. Other German aspects are there creating a smooth and creamy body. Alcohol becomes more of a precense the warmer the beer gets. Body was on the light side which made drinking this way too easy. I think I need more.

Smoke Ale from Rogue Ales