Smoke Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Label of 22 oz bottle:

12 Ingredients: Great Western, Harrington, Klages, Munich & Hugh Baird Crystal, Carastan 30/37 & 13/17, Chuck's Alderwood Smoked Munich & Bamberg Beechwood Smoked Malts; Saaz & Perle Hops, Free Range Coastal Waters & Top Fermenting Pacman Yeast. No Chemicals, Preservatives or Additives.

DEDICATED TO THE FALL OF THE BERLIN WALL.

A German Style Rauchbier with an orange-amber hue, a delicate smoke aroma and flavor, with an intense hop finish.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 48 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoke Ale Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

After loving the Chipotle Ale I was looking forward to trying this Rogue specialty brew. I have really enjoyed all the "smoked" beers that I've encountered so far.

Pours with a somewhat creamy off white head that is about 2 fingers thick. Fairly nice retention yet no lacing to speak of later. The beer is a deep amber color with decent clarity. No visible carbonation.

Aroma is certainly smoky and immediately reminded me of the Chipotle Ale.

My wife tried this and immediately commented that it tasted like bacon. Frankly, I don't taste bacon, but can certainly understand the comment. Now for my third reference to the Chipotle Ale. It really reminds me of the other beer without the spicy nature. Deep roasted/smoked flavor with a nice malt backbone. There is a nice hop bite towards the end that melds nicely with the smoky tones.

Medium bodied and smooth feel. Very delicate carbonation.

I love this and it went very well with our BBQ Pork (smoked) Another winner from Rogue. Well done! (997 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a tulip glass

A-Moderately veiled medium amber with a creamy eggshell head.

S-Predominantly smoked bacon and some malts

T-Malty, smoky, very much like the smell. Smoke is a little overpowering, not overwhelming, but I wish it were more subtle. Malts hit the palate first then heavy smoke, followed by some tangy hops and a long smokey finish. I was grilling up some hot dogs while tasting this and had to admit that the cured meat reminded me a lot of this beer.

M-Well balanced overall, medium mouthfeel and carbonation

D-Not very, I really didn't like this and ended up saving the rest to use as a marinade. Glad I tried this, I was curious about it, but smoke flavor in beer is just not my thing. (738 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

A- Slightly cloudy honey brow color with an enormous cream colored head. Head falls quickly to a cap but leaves no lacing on the glass.

S- Strong but not overpowering smell of smoke. Like a nice hardwood fire. Can't pick out anything else through the smoke.

T- Taste is like a milder version of the aroma. A little bread and malt at first then the smoke takes over. Balanced and not overpowering but singular in complexity.

M- Medium in body and carbonation, dry, crisp finish.

D- One of the better balanced rauchbiers that I've had, but the drinkability still suffers a little since the taste of the smoke comes over top of everything else and after a while it's all that you can taste. Not too crazy at 6% ABV either.

If you have never had a rauchbier before this is a good introduction to the style. Even if you find that you don't care for them, you will still be able to finish this one without too much pain. Nice one to expand your palate with since it is not too extreme but you will still taste the smoke, then you can decide if you like this style. (1,064 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

Bomber poured into a mug.

A - Pours golden/amber/orange with a huge head that settled to a thin layer. Minor lacing.

S - Light smoke aroma and some hops.

T - Smoke and spices, malt and hops.

M - Light body, good to high carbonation. Smooth.

D - It's pretty good, not overly smoked. (287 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Large capped bottle poured into a pint glass.

Golden with amber highlights, medium sized off-white head, decent retention and lacing.
Aroma is smoked as expected, but it is somewhat subtle. Grassy hoppiness, caramel notes.
Medium bodied, it is again smoked, a little more than subtle, but not in your face as my favorite Aecht Schlenkerla rauchbier. It has an otherwise well balanced combination of caramel maltiness and citric, grassy hoppiness.
This is an interesting take on smoked beers, a little less smoke, a little more hops. (536 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz bottle.

A - Poured a medium amber, forming a 1 inch white head. Light spots of lace stick to the glass.

S - Strong aroma of smoked malt and spices. Strong and intoxicating!

T - Just as inviting as the aroma. Good flavor of smoked malts and cooking spices. The flavor coats the palate, and stays long after the swallow.

M - Thin bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Very smooth finish.

D - Absolutely delicious flavor. In a world with very few smoked beers, this is a welcome for people like me. Fantastic flavor and decent alcohol level allows for a few of these. My only disappointment is that this is not available in my state (yet). (682 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +8.1%

Whoever sent me this as an extra, thank you and cheers!

Pours a golden/red color with a healthy head that turns into a patchy crown and good lacing.

Smells of smoke. It's not just a clever name. There's some hop underlings there but it's no secret what the focus of this was.

Tastes very good, again the smoke is the focus. Light hops, an almost lagery background.

Mouth is great at medium body and high carbonation.

A great beer, I'll look for this one again. (465 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a copper/amber body with loads of closely gathered carbonation bubbles and a big two finger plus foamy tan head. The lacing remnants are faint, but very sticky.

Smokey malt aroma wafts from the glass and a closer inspection reveals spices and hops. One other thing I noticed was an immediate aroma of yeast upon the first pour that never showed up again.

Certainly a hearty smoked malt flavor with dark wood notes, smoked meats resembling bacon, as well as even some buried sweet malt flavors, likely caramel, deep in the brew.

Medium to light in body with generous carbonation and also a bit creamy.

Very good brew, but given the flavors I'm not sure I could drink too much of this in one sitting. Very good introduction to the style, this is one of few for me. The traditional ale characteristics were a little tough to find for me amongst the smoky character. (873 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

Picked this up at the Liquor Loft in Tallahassee, FL.

Pours a hazy orange color with a rocky 1.5-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of smoke (surprise!), similar to smoked salmon but with a bit more wood influence. Behind all of the smoked malt there are hints of sweet malt and fainter hints of grassy hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Loads of smoked malt up front backed by soft caramel malt flavors. Near the end of the sip grassy hop flavors manage to worm their way out before giving way to the smoked malts to carry it on through.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with substantial carbonation that makes it go down smoothly.

Drinkability is good. I shared a 22 oz. and I'm glad that I did. This isn't a knock on the flavors, it's more me not being acclimated to smoked beers.

Overall this isn't an overly intense smoked beer and is one that is worth a shot. (949 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

650mL bottle with no freshness date poured into pint glass.

Pours a slightly hazy orange-brown, lots of carbonation visible, with a large off-white head that leaves some lacing as it settles down to a small-ish cap.

Aroma is dominated by a nice smooth smoke. Hints of sweetness and spice.

Nice and smooth, nearly creamy mouthfeel to this beer. Light smokiness up front, mellowing out a bit with slightly toasted malts before coming to a refreshing bitter citrus hop flavour. Finish is all smoke, strong but not overpowering. Slightly astringent.

The astringency knocks the drinkability down a touch, but this is still a pleasant brew, full of flavour but not too intense for this smoked beer n00b. I can certainly see having this sometime with barbecue. (757 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -7%

I know I like the smoked German beers, but some of them can be overwhelming.

Looks kind of pale. A nice light chestnut brown.
Light lace foam.

Smells very plesantly smokey. Mesquite? Nicely formulated. Not wrenching but I can't say I'd make this into a session beer. Has an astringent edge to it.

Light and watery. Predominately smoke. Some malt hanging out in there, pleasing me sense of BBQ.

This makes me crave fresh sausage. I'd use some to make a caraway beer mustard. (481 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Never had one before so I decided to try it. I have had quite a few since.

A- Slightly cloudy amber that pours a nice head but it fades pretty fast. It leaves nice lacing though.

S- Smoke! Smooth though like mesquite. Maybe malt and some light spices.

T- Great smoky taste. I love smoked meats and the smell of a campfire so this is right up my alley. Nice additions of malt and very light sweetness with some herb and spices.

M- Maybe the creamiest and smoothest I've ever drank. Very nice and thick.

D- You might not like it if you don't like the smell of smoke or the taste of smoked meat but why are you trying it then. Other wise delicious. (650 characters)

medium pour. fluffy hed. fades fast.
this one is smokey. he nose reminded me of the scent you get from a old campfire that had been beaten down by rain. A little malt was also there.
Taste was nice, dominated by the smoke. sweet malts intermingling with the smoke. No hops noticed, but I know they are there.

Good feel.
Like the beer, but not a real "session" beer, IMO. (372 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a murky amber into my pint glass. Nice, creamy, two-finger head that slowly shrinks to about an eighth inch, leaving a thick trail around the glass above.
I can definitely smell the smoked malts. Hints of black pepper and smoked sausage. Wonderful smell, especially when you're hungry, which I happen to be at the moment.
I really like this one, and it's my second time trying it, but still the only smoke beer I've had. Again, the smoked malts are definitely present, giving it a nice, spicey bite. There's a nice, smokey aura that sits in the back of the throat.
Mouthfeel is fine, but could be better. A bit watery, in my opinion.
Drinkability is good, but definitely not a session beer. Despite how much I enjoy this distinctive flavor, I wouldn't want to drink it in large quantities. It's too novel a taste for that.
That said, I wish this style of beer was more available. And I would love to find a beer in this style that is even more intense. (958 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22 oz. bomber.

The pour is a somewhat hazy amber with a tall white head. Retention is decent, as is lacing.

I didn't really know what to expect in the nose, having never tried a smoked beer, but I was surprised. It smelled to me just like smoked bacon or ham with maple flavouring. The taste is more of the same. There is just the slightest hint of chocolate in the background. A nice bitterness is present throughout.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a lot of carbonation. Drinkability suffers a bit since it makes me feel as if I'm eating meat, not drinking a beer that tastes like meat. I'm glad it's been a while since I ate, or I wouldn't be able to finish the bomber.

If this is a good starter smoked beer, I'd like to try a more advanced version. It might be fun to revisit this every now and then, though. (848 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +12.5%

The smoke ale poured a 2 finger foam head with thin lacing and a reddish orange hue to it. There was the tiny champagne bubbles emanating from the bottom of the glass.

The aroma was smoked fish meat smell. It reminded me of a barbeque. Throughout the drink the smoke never left you. If you don't like smoked foods I don't think you would like this one. There was a nice bitterness on the finish. It is a well balanced beer and after a couple of sips to acclimate yourself it was wonderful. Well done by the guys on the coast. (526 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +4.7%

I poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass. The beer pours a hazy orange with a pillowy white head. The aroma is pure smoke, in a good way. It reminds me of meat over a smoker. The smoke flavor is up front but not over the top. The finish is a bit sweet. The bottle states it is a hoppy smoke ale, I do not taste it. The beer is medium bodied and smooth drinking. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. (421 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +12%

22oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - hazy amber color with a off-white head that left good lacing.

S - smoked ham with a maple glaze.

T - the smoke hits upfront and then comes a burst of sweet malts, then hoppy bitterness with a subtle, lingering smoked taste.

F - medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - smooth and easy to drink. (348 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

22oz bomber poured into a pokal-tulip hybrid glass.

Pours a lot lighter than I was expecting as all the smoke beers I;ve had up to this point have been dark brown or balck

The head on this is strange, it starts like any other beer, a creamy, though rather fizzy pure white head. After this the head quickly starts to change character as the bubbles become larger, like milk bubbles and then disappears into nothing, a few bubbles swimming around on top of the beer.

Not nearly as smokey as all of the previous smoke style beers I've encountered. In fact it is almost fruity. Yes the smoke aspect is still there but underneath it lies a slight, very slight grapefuit citrusness. Which I have to says shows some considerable skill on the part of the brewer, not to have smoke completly overtake the beer.

Smokey but with a slightly ceral grain and almost sweet corny taste. Yes the almost meaty smokiness and woodiness is here but seems a bit washed out, slightly sweet and again a slight citric hop bitterness. In fact the more I sip on this the less smokey it seems. At this point I can't really tell what I want, more smoke or more unaltered malt and hop flavors. Being s smoked beer I want more smoke and am not getting it right now. I like some things that are going on here, it is very well balanced has a good, solid mouthfeel and has a solid flavor profile, but the lack of a higher smoke content leaves me wanted just a bit more. Not a bad beer, but not something that I would drop nearly 7 dollars on, on a regular basis. A good beer to use if you want to ease yourself into the world of smoked beers, but really I say you should dive right in and get it over with. (1,677 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured a dark cloudy brown with a 1 inch head. The aroma is distinctly smokey, to the point where I didn't even really smell beer, just smoke.

The flavor of smoked meat or barbeque is intense with this particular beer. Its not to be confused with a hint, note, or anything else that would imply subtlety. If you could drink a barbecue brisket in a beer, this is it.

As for mouthfeel, its good, but not exceptional.

Drinkability is limited by the fact that the smokiness is so pronounced, but I would imagine that drank in combination with pulled pork or a barbecue brisket, this would be phenomenal. (602 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a clear, golden-amber color with a two finger head.

Aroma is mostly smoke with a hint of the caramel malt background. Smells like I opened the top of my grill while I was cooking and got a big faceful of grill smoke. Taste is smoked meat. Again, maybe just a hint of the underlying malt, but primarily all smokiness.

Mouthfeel is medium with lots of carbonation. I didn't have any problem finishing the bomber, but drinkability is really not that great considering the style. (484 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +11.2%

Hazy dark pumpkin orange appearance. Frothy biship's collar at the top. Head evaporates quickly. Nice color, not much else.

Wonderfully smoky smell, like burning embers in a fire pit. Would go great with jerky or barbecue. Charred wood and slow-cooked meat.

The smoky Rauchbier flavor (even though this is an ale, not a lager) comes through, like sitting near a fireplace. The hops are a sweet accent tot he smokyness. Tangy and zesty!

Watery feel but still real strong. Needs to be thin to balance out the rest of the flavor. This baby makes you FULL! This beer is a meal unto itself. Very smoky and filling. Tremendously pleasing. (636 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -21.6%

Had this on-tap at the brew pub in Newport

I am not a fan of smoked beers at all and this is no exception. It poured orange/red in color, thin head, it smelled of smoke, tasted of smoke with maybe some hops coming through, I didnt like this very much, I will not be having this anytime in the near future. (306 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Poured a murky burnt reddish amber with a thin off white head that quickly dissipated.

S: a light smokiness with some bacon and a light charred maltiness.

T: The initial flavor opens with a big smoked flavor of sweet burnt caramel, smoked bacon and some peppery notes. There was an earthy bitterness and minerality with some light smoked grilled salmon notes with lemon pepper seasoning. Well balanced, smooth, smoky and everything you can ask for per style. Finishes dry and smoky.

M: medium full with good carbonation while leaving a dry smoked malt coating.

D: Great drinkability per style and well balanced. Easy to drink in multiples and ranks up there with Aecht Schlenkerla, the standard of smoked beers. (722 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +11.7%

A- Pours a murky orange/amber color with a 1 finger head. After about a minute, the head recedes down to a thin cap. Slight lacing is present.

S- Smoked meats, bacon, slight campfire, malty notes.

T- Starts out with notes of oakiness, slight smoked meats, hints of nuttiness and chocolate. The finish is of light mettalic dry hops.

M- Very low carbonation, Nice thick and malty.

D- I will probably drink this again. It really isn't in the league with Aecht Schlenkerla, but it's pretty damn good as is. (507 characters)

Smoke Ale from Rogue Ales