XS Imperial India Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Alias: "I2PA"

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Two-row Pipkin Pale.
Hops: Saaz, Cascade & Northwest Golding.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

20º PLATO
75 AA
13º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of XS Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
1.35/5  rDev -67.2%

7 oz bottle via trade with mymrnngjckt. Not sure of the vintage but it's almost certainly late 90s, making it probably 8-10 years old. I LOVE these little bottles and used to buy them at the Foodery in Philly almost weekly about 10 years ago or so. Time for a jog down memory lane...

Not much happens when opened (as expected) but the faintest burst of hoppy air. Pours quietly without making a head. Very deep and murky, almost identical to muddy pond water.

As for the nose...deep barleywine sugars, reminiscant of Old Nick, Old Stock, and the like; the hops aren't really overwhelming, although it's clear that they're in there; akin to a big dose of low-alpha English hops.

The taste is not good at all, although I can manage to make my way through some of it for nostalgia's sake. It's turned into pond water, I'm afraid. The extreme bitterness is almost still there, but is a mere shell of it's former self. The sugars in the big ale body are stark and naked, and just really taste like pond water. Kind of like pouring a beer, letting it sit for two days, then diluting it 1:2 with murky pond water. I can't emphasize the pond water element enough.

Fun, but not recommended. I've never been a fan of aging IPAs and this may be why.

1.45/5  rDev -64.8%

Rogue XS Imperial IPA
7oz bottle poured into snifter
bottled in 2010

Picked up for me about a week ago at a Total Wine in South FL, by my girlfriend, who was intrigued by the small bottle.  Not really sure whats up with this one.  Bottled in 2010, it surely hasn't sat on the shelf of a major retail liquor store for over 2 years?  Who knows. Anyways, onto the review.

Pours a very hazy light bronze with under 1/2 a fingers width of light tan colored head, which dissipates down to a thin film almost immediately. Aroma is citrusy, yet astringent.  Like overripe peaches that have gone bad,  or rotting apples.  Some caramel malts and sugary sweetness.   Taste is rather appalling with some caramel, burnt toast, a strange burnt bitterness on the backend.  Carbonation is for the most part killed, rather flat.

This was off from the get go.  My first ever drain pour.   I will try this again sometime, fresh, as this has to have been affected by age and who knows what else.

1.45/5  rDev -64.8%

The Rogue I2PA poured a murky amber color with no head on it. The smell was inviting with a firm hop character w/ great citrus notes. The taste was absolutely horrible; the beer was completely flat and had a watery taste to it. The hop aftertaste was unpleasant and more sour than bitter. This beer was not at all drinkable and I found myself having to ditch the contents. Looking at other reviews, my bottle may have been contaminated or packaged improperly, but it is worth noting that not all of these bottles come out the same.

1.75/5  rDev -57.5%

2.28/5  rDev -44.7%

Thanks to my brother for getting me this beer for my birthday. Clearly he doesn't know how I feel about Rogue, but if he's reading this, it's the thought that counts! Plus, I was always curious what was in the nice looking bottle.

Pours a hazy amber orange. Somewhat frothy and cloudy. Big white foam head.

Smell is an assault of nostrils. However old this is, the acrid, abrasive hops are still present. Ugh. No tropical notes, nothing floral, just kind of a melded unripe grapefruit and pine blast.

Taste is just too one-note and bitter. Just pungently bitter, and no compexity at all. This is everything that folks who don't like the IPA family tree say they hate about IPAs. Acrid bitterness, not enjoyable.

Nicely carbonated, at least. Nice to see some breweries still carbonate their beers.

2.28/5  rDev -44.7%

Served into a tulip glass, bottled in 2010

A - Pours a bright shade of orangish yellow, very hazy with a thick white head of small bubbles.

S - Bursting with a floral/citrus/pine smell. The citrus can almost be green apple like, maybe some orange peel. Somewhat of an alcoholic nose. Can be a little spicy with some fruity ester.

T - Bready and boozy right up front. Very off centered ipa. Rather unpleasant hop flavors with an alcohol warming throughout the whole taste. Has a bit of bitterness that I perceive to be quite astringent and unpleasant.

M - The beer is light to medium bodied. Carbonation is on the low side.

O - Overall I thought the smell was very complex but the flavor was not very appealing to me. A little on the flat side also. Didn't really enjoy it and was not worth the price.

2.4/5  rDev -41.7%

Thanks to my good friend Dave Triolo for the haul... refrigerated since received, this will be served in a tall, bulbous glass at just over fridge temperature. 750ml bottle that I will try to take on by myself... if that proves impossible, at least there's a swing top here. I'm pairing this with a cheddar spiced with harissa from Trader Joe's.

Appearance- In classic DIPA form, the color is a hazy, thick, bright orange with a fat soapy off-white head. Bubbles of all sizes pop and hiss away, but the thickness prevails. Here we go!

Smell- Lush, enormous nose of hops that unfortunately lacks *any* distinguishing or noteworthy aromas... I would have expected pine, or maybe grapefruit focused in a relatively small window... it's just totally average and blah. I would have loved to find a freshness date somewhere here, but there isn't one on this heavy black ceramic beast.

Taste- Big and dead, a stale hop bomb at best. Burning alcohol and a tongue-deadening whip of bitterness... there is no interplay of malts and hops, just a brash lashing of the palate.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Appropriate for the beer's intensity at first... then it quiets to a river of subtlety. Far too pedestrian overall, I could never recommend this over more desirable examples of the style. If anyone out there reading this could help with a drink by date, that would be appreciated.

2.5/5  rDev -39.3%

2.5/5  rDev -39.3%

2.58/5  rDev -37.4%

Hazy gold to light amber. Off white head. Leaves a nice sticky lacing on the glass.

I get some grassy notes. Sweetness from the Marris Otter. The BJCP guidlines Say American, English and/or noble varieties can be used. I2PA used all three, and the EKG is prominent.

Some initial maltiness. Finishes semi-dry with a rush of alcohol warmth. Not really liking this one too much.

The mouth feel is medium to full bodied. Some alcohol warming. This beer's best attribute.

Over all, I'm not a fan of I2PA. I don't really like the use of English hops. I normally expect mor citrus flavor in this style.

2.58/5  rDev -37.4%

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper body with a smallish, fizzy white head.

Smell: Strong hop aroma that is mostly pine, but there's also some abused grapefruits in there as well.

Taste: From start to finish its a simple, straight-forward, yet gruelling bitterness. The finish, at best, can be described as abrasive.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: I'll admit it, I'm just not wild about this one whatsoever.

2.6/5  rDev -36.9%

So I've been waiting years to try this beer always procrastinating because of 1. Price and 2. There are lots of Imperial India Pales that I love. With that being said let the tasting begin.

Poured into a pint glass and was impressed by the deep hazy golden appearance hopefully indicating a full body.

The nose is what you would expect citrusy, piney, good.

Taste where the true measure of any beer is found is woefully lacking for a beer that grades out so high and costs so much. The mouth feel is medium and the taste is rather timid for a beer proclaiming to be a $17 Imperial India Pale Ale. You get the citrus and pine with a bit of a bite at the end but unimpressive.

With Imperial or Double IPAs which are my favorite style I have had many, many more impressive Double IPAs. I don't know if it graded high because it's Rogue or if I bought a bad bottle but at $17 there is an expectation to have your taste buds blown back and that didn't happen. Bell's HopSlam blows this beer out no comparison also DogFish Head 90 min or 120 min and Hebrew's Lenny's R.I.P.A Double IPA for that matter.

In closing if your charging $17 for a 750ml you better deliver, don't put a less than beer in a ceramic bottle and charge a exorbitant price because at that point your all fluff and no substance like some of the big breweries.

2.73/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured into a tulip glass from a ceramic, flip top bottle, a hazy golden color with a nice inch head that dissipated quickly leaving behind some lacing, but not much, probably due to the high ABV. Smell is piney and citrusy with the usual Pacman yeast character. I may give up on Rogue brews because of this, but I'll get back to that later. Taste is off for a DIPA. A bit watered down, and very little malt backbone to reinforce the raw bitterness of this brew. What malt character that's there is biscuit and cracker-like, but so light it's hard to tell. It's as dry as can be for the style, most definitely on the bitter end of things, but that's about it. It's a hop-bomb, but not the kind that I go for, especially for the price. Very grassy, hints of grapefruit and pine, just typical. As for the Pacman yeast, it gives every Rogue brew the same finish, which can be somewhat annoying. It doesn't work with this style especially, and really made this one a disappointment. Body is too thin for the style, somewhat watered down, and little carbonation. I'd like to give this one back and get 2 Southern Tier DIPA bombers for the same price as this single bottle. Maybe the $13 price tag made me more critical of this one, but I would definitely not buy this again.

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

If I had to break a bottle over someones head in a bar fight, this is the one I would reach for. Let's see if this bad looking sob packs a wallop. Pours a hazy copper with virtually no head, but a bunch of big bubbles instead. Very weird, and I have to wonder if there's something wrong here. Smells sweet, hoppy and bready. Taste is more subdued than expected with a nice blend of the hops and some sweetness though. A bit of chalk and yeast lingers around the end. Overall a bit dull, like there's something missing. I'm a big Rogue fan, and was looking for a grand experience here, but I just can't get excited about this one.

2.8/5  rDev -32%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Mahar's in Albany.

Pours very golden, pretty clear looking. Great head that sticks around and some nice lacing.

Smells like pine and floral hops; no malt or sweetness here.

The flavor really is the same. Astringent, strong tastes of bitter pine and floral hops. Very dry, little to no sweetness. Few malt flavors. ABV is tough to detect. I guess a beer with this ABV could taste harsher than this does.

Very light mouthfeel, too much so. Kind of like water.

I was fine with one of these. I found the hop flavors too astringent and the body too thin to make this a very enjoyable drink, but wasn't terrible by any means.

2.8/5  rDev -32%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The appearance is golden hazy with a rich creamy head. Not exactly what I was expecting in an IPA. The head retention is good however and sticks to the edges. You can not miss the hoppy floral aroma. It overpowers all other aromas that the beer may have. The texture is creamy, however, the taste is overpowered by the hops. Especially the aftertaste which is extremely bitter and medicinal. My guess is that the extreme hoppiness is to mask the sweetness from the added fermentables needed to boost the ABV. While everyone's take on hoppy beers varries (and I do like my hoppy beers), and while Rogue prides itself on the amount of hops they use, I found this beer way overdone.

2.8/5  rDev -32%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle.
Murkey golden brown with a few flakes suspended and little head. What there is doen't last long. Holy Hop aroma!!! Too overhoped and unpleasantly unbalanced. Lingers as would be expected for a double IPA. Texture is Viscous and chewy. Some spiciness but the bitterness is annoying. I can feel the enamel on my teeth being eaten away. Not enough balance IMO. Lots of hops are fine but they need to ba balanced. Maybe it's because of the 12 oz serving. I hated Old Crusty in 12 oz bottle but loved it in the 750 ceramic. I will give this another chance.

2.8/5  rDev -32%

A: Not quite a finger of bubbly white head. Lots of bubbles. Cloudy orangey straw gold. Kind of like crystallized honey.

S: Really soapy hops. Which is sad.

T: Tons of drying hops. Also a little soapy. Really bitter and not much else. Sadly one dimensional.

M: Thin, semi flat, and honestly just not very good.

O: I love hops. And I like Rogue. But this is one dimensional and boring. It's just hops and nothing else. I'm disappointed.

2.85/5  rDev -30.8%

RBSG09 on tap at the Rogue Publick House in SF. Pours orangish gold with a thick pillowy white head. Nice lacing. Cascade hop aroma with bread dough maltiness. No indication that this is an imperial IPA. C hop flavors with some bready malt. Very astringent which makes it hard to drink.

2.85/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured from a 7 ounce bottle into an Albemarle Ciderworks glass. This review will be brief, because I'm just not feeling it.

A: Very little head; great lacing. The beer is dark-yellow and opaque.

S: Soapy hops. Citrus peel and a hint of pine. But seriously, there's nothing else.

T: Completely one-dimensional and not very impressive. I mean, if you love hops -- and nothing but hops -- then fine, you might like it. But, comparatively, subpar. Citrus, pine, touch of malt that gets lost in the bitterness. This beer claims 75 IBU but I think that's lowballing it.

M: So astringent as to be...not unpleasant, but not a good beer. No body, super-light. Unsubstantial. Bah.

O: I don't want to give the wrong impression -- I'm a self-avowed hophead. This, however, is not my thing. (To be fair, I'm not a fan of Saaz or Golding, even though I like Cascade.) I genuinely don't think this is a very good beer. It's too monodimensional, too hoppy to be a "good beer." I love Rogue, but give this one a miss. NOT recommended. Will not have again.

2.85/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Alright I got this as a birthday gift as a friend, which is good because I would never buy this myself.

Despite the cool bottle, it seemed a bit clunky when pouring. As in the beer went clunk, clunk into the glass.

A- Hazy golden orange with a big clumpy head.

S- The smell is very piny and hoppy. Smells like a hoppy beer, and that is all that I can smell. Then again, should I smell anything else in this style of beer?

T- The hop smell that I got, didn't transition to the taste. There is something excessively bitter in this beer. It isn't hop bitterness but perhaps it is just overly cooked/worked hops. Although there is a slight herbal taste to this.

M- I'm getting something undesirable lingering on my tongue, like what happens when you eat too much grapefruit pith and rind.

D- It is drinkable, but the aftertaste is just not all that great.

2.85/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bottle. Comes in a little 7oz bottle, cute, but for $4.99 a little pricey! Poured into a tulip glass a slightly hazy orange amber color with a 1 finger white fluffy head. Nice lace left on the glass as I swirl this around. The aroma is a pungent hop flavor with notes of mango, pineapple, citrus, and some pine. The first taste yields an intense bitter hop taste that I wasn't expecting this from this beer. Piney flavors. Light/medium mouthfeel. For a double I actually wish this had a bigger malt backbone as the hops just totally dominate the flavor and really not in a good way. Just zero balance here. Lingering bitterness.

2.95/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured into a tulip. A hazy golden-yellow amber. Hop oil aplenty up top. Mild head, good lace, excellent carbonation. I'm not getting much from the nose. Floral aromatics and acidity, not the refreshing hops I was expecting.

Taste is basically real bitter without any distinguishable notes or fine hints of hop characters like pine or fruit...somewhat stale tasting, acidic and cloying. There's a very mild breadyness and slight buttery malt backbone that doesn't quite mask the sour ethanol taste. Body is full but the mouthfeel is somewhat oily, an effect this beer's buttery quality does not lend well to. However, it's relatively quaffable considering the high AbV.

Now, DIPA is my favorite style, but I would have been disappointed by this beer if I had brewed it myself. Needless to say I was as surprised to find what was once "The father of the American DIPA" to be so lacking as I was to find all these great reviews of it. What happened? Does the cool glass and steep price 'wow' people into compliancy, or did I just get a bad batch? Hopefully the latter.

XS Imperial India Pale Ale from Rogue Ales