XS Imperial India Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2001

Alias: "I2PA"

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Two-row Pipkin Pale.
Hops: Saaz, Cascade & Northwest Golding.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

20º PLATO
75 AA
13º Lovibond
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of XS Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Rogue I2PA pours a thick hazy golden orange with a thin white head that reduces itself to a some very light lacing on top of the beer. Aroma is citrusy, with some toasted caramel notes as well an almost butterscotch flavor. The taste of this beer is incredibly interesting in a category that includes mostly hop bombs - not that this isn't a hop bomb. Bitter, but with some sweet rock candy flavors as well, as well as a whole lot of fruit, flambe style. Very thick beer, but the extremely bitter finish almost completely cleanses the palate, leaving some spicy, piney hop oils that leave you crying for more. Warm going down due to the alcohol. Quite drinkable for the ABV, but one 12oz bottle is plenty!

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

12oz brown bottle. Pours a respectable cloudy (unfiltered) peach colored beer crowned with a sticky white foam lace that retains well.

Malty sweet, over-ripe sweet tropical fruit and a resiny floral nose. Hints of citrus.

Full-bodied, syrupy, thick sweetness of tropical fruits. Big bready character attempts to balance and quell the incoming hop character of ... a flash of zest, notes of aspirin, grapefruit rind, wood, resiny sap, herbal spice and leafy mouthfeel. Notes of caramel / toffee in the edges. Sharp and spicy alcohol bite with tailing warmth. More big bready flavors in the finish.

The Father of the American Double IPA, I2PA still holds its own as one of the greatest hophead wet dreams.

4.82/5  rDev +17%

Got this one in the mail thanks to the generosity of a fellow BA. I’ve been looking forward to trying this one but waiting for the right moment which seems like right about now!

Poured out of the 12oz RogueXS bottle into my trusty goblet. Way big crusty foaming head, much larger than I’d expect out of a beer with an ABV like this. Body is a translucent, yet slightly hazed shade of honey. Teeny-tiny streams of bubbles fizz rapidly into the head. Really attractive for the style.

The smell! Almost overwhelming…big, sticky, oily pine hop frangrances smack you in the face obnoxiously at first whiff. Deeper down, citrus and apricot aromas are present and if you really whiff you can pick up the sweet, underlying malts. Any alcohol aromas are completely engulfed in beautiful hop-dom.

Holy crap! Hops abusing my tongue right from the beginning!! So much hop bitterness it is literally shocking to my tongue and it feels as if it has been coated in hop oils after just a few sips. Immediate gratifying hop burps after only two sips as well. Sweet malts are apparent in the middle to balance it out slightly but themselves are quickly overwhelmed by the all powerful hop in the finish. The hop flavors are mostly piney, but citrus rind and apricot flavors peep their head into the deluge of pine cone hops. Mouthfeel is medium and slightly sticky, alcohol is merely an after-thought but I can feel warmth spreading through my throat and down into my belly.

This beer may have ruined me to mere mortal IPAs, a real roller coaster of intense WAY over the top hops. I will seek this one out again and find it for sure. Man, even licking my lips is like a smack on the tongue of raw, bitter, juicy hops.

MUCH thanks to rajendra82!

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a hazy yellowy copper with a frothy ivory head. Smell is very hoppy. Pretty bitter but lots of citrus in the nose as well.

Taste is big hops as you would expect. I mean, this is just a showcase for the hops. Big bitterness and sweet citrus and floral and grapefruit flavors just moshing all over your tongue. A bit of overbearing alcohol taste too. Too much if you ask me. Full bodied, really big beer. Drinkability is hurt by the alcohol burn in this brew. One of the few IPA's of any king that I would recommend laying down for a year or so.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This one pours out a hazy orange color with a large pillowy white head peaking out of the top of the glass. Great lacing stuck to the glass for the duration of this beers existence. Hops are jumping out of the glass with aroma that is just wonderful citric and earthy hops pretty much dominate the nose of this beer. The taste of hops really smack around your taste buds here, with bitter hops hitting you up front and eventually a slightly sweet malt comes through to give you some reprieve from the hops assault. Notes of caramel can also be detected as this warmed, but it is still all about the hops as it should be. Mouthfeel was good with a medium body, good carbonation and a bit of warmth from the alcohol. Drinkability is good as the alcohol and bitterness never really become overpowering, well maybe the alcohol after a few of these. Very flavorful and tasty offering from Rogue and one of my favorite beers of the style. Give it a shot if you are up for a good hop fix.

3.75/5  rDev -9%

Appearance:

Medium brown with just a slight haze to it. Thin white head tops it off (good retention) with little to no lacing.

Smell:

Scary, before I even inhaled, I detected hops! Floral/herbal hops almost scorch the nose. Hints of citrus reside beneath.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Wow! This one gets the taste buds a tingling. My mouth is buzzing after one sip (so is my head due to the alcohol content). Bitter hops rip through the back of the mouth, leaving a faint malt sweetness in their wake.

My tongue hurts after one sip, but in a good way. Grapefruit grudgingly emerges after a couple of sips, but hops still rule the day. Some intriguing stuff, but more than one would do me in.

3.57/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance: orangeish, a bit soapy, thinnish layer of yellowy-tan foam that disappears quickly

Aroma: malted sherry, rich alcohol notes, wood, grassy hops, cough syrup, hint of diacetyl, vitamins

Flavor: sweetness-stipped malt flavor (imagine the taste of malt without any sweetness), rich sherry notes sitting on top of a terse layer of hop bitterness, grassy hop flavor, finishes dry with malt and more grass in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: medium-full body, low carbonation, alcohol warmth

Other Comments: Sediment got stirred up a bit during transport over Belgianbeers's apartment, so I don't know how much of the haze came from that. Lots of sherry/port aged beer characteristics, both in the taste and aroma. Full-flavored and not overly bitter, despite the 74 IBUs.

This bottle was courtesy of frank4sail, who brought it (amongst many others) to Belgium for me. I shared it with Belgianbeers during an "American Craft-brew" tasting the other night.

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a nice light golden amber color with a huge rocky white head about a inch high. Nice lacing on the glass..

Smell: Strong notes of oily piney hops. A little citrus and a little biscuit and bread aromas from the malts.

Taste: This beer explodes with hops up front. A little piney and little citrus, followed by a nice body of bread, biscuit, and caramel from the malts. This beer finishes with even more hops, some bitter some sweet, giving this beer an overall great hop profile. The end is also a little juicy with some grapefruit flavors as well.

Mouthfeel: What a great full body, nice balance with a nice crisp carbonation. Just feels great on the tongue.

Drinkability: Is this really 10% alcohol. My god this beer is so flavorful I can't believe it has that much alcohol.

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

This is a big beer in all respects, both in alcohol, IBU,s and taste. The hop taste alone is likely to scare off all but the most serious hopheads. But being Rogue this beer has a balance to it which makes a classic within this newly formed beer category. The finish is dry but a great flavour is left on the tongue. I like Dogfish 90 minute IPA better but this is still an imperial favourite.

4.82/5  rDev +17%

The appearance has the color of an alloy of copper and gold, cloudy, and finely carbonated, the head crowns way outside the goblet and makes time stand still. The aroma feels a bit subdued at first sniff until the hop oils volatilize and make your nostrils explode. The piney Cascade hops from the Pacific Northwest are clearly the stars here; however the floral Golding hops are not too shy about making themselves known. The taste is fully attenuated dry ultra bitterness with a caramel malt backbone. The beer tickles your tongue and throat and should brings tears (of joy) to the eyes of any hophead. The pacman yeast has eaten up all the malt and made it into spicy ethereal alcohol that sits in your stomach like a smoldering ember. This brew does not make any attempt at a balanced taste at all. This is an Imperial IPA to the core. Stay away, unless you are a dedicated hophead, and leave more on the shelves for me.

4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thick golden copper color, sediment in the bottle clouded it up and it finishes with a thick white head. Smell is loaded with roasty malts and piney hops, almost smells like canibus. Flavor is sweet and chock full of hops, slight diacetyl character, bittersweet finish... I like it. Mouthfeel is thick and sticky, coats the throat like honey. This fits the bill nicely for a double IPA, if I had another... I'd drink it right now.

4.44/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled from a brown 12 oz bottle provided courtesy of the BJ's Brewery Beer Appreciation Night.

Beer pours hazy orange into the glass with a crisp fine bubbled head that holds well despite the high alcohol (A definate sign of hops before any nose whiff comes)

Aroma is a soft caramel that is quickly overrun by a sharp pine laced hop aroma that holds through to the finishing aroma. (aka there's enough hops in this thing to shake a stick at)

Flavor reflects the aroma with a solid caramel (with slight oxidation) buffetting barely the strong zesty hop zing.(to most folks.. "OMFG.. this stuffs bitter!)

Unlike a barleywine (which this matches in aroma and intial body approach) the finish is driven to a crispness by the power of the hops. This is what separates a DIPA from a barleywine in my opinion and should be welcomed upon the universe.

3.39/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The color is a very cloudy orange, trying to make it to amber. Had to be careful on the pour, got some unexpected and sudden head. It's got some staying power and is lacing very well to the glass as it slowly dissipates.

I was expecting the smell to just come out and get me considering the style, but it didn't. Got this close enough to my nose to catch a nice citrus/hop aroma though.

The hop bitterness in the end is certainly the dominant taste here, as would be expected. The beginning provides the citrusy/pine taste. Very big and noticeable on the tongue.

Surprising smooth and light consistency for such a big beer. Expected some difficulty from the ending bitterness but that wasn't the case. The alcohol warms some as it goes down.

This bottle itself is quite drinkable. Another bottle, however, could damn near knock me out.

It's hard to say whether I'd try this again. This is my first double IPA and I'm not a huge hophead to begin with (though I've come to enjoy Two Hearted). I suppose I may want to get another and save it until mid-fall or so. Good overall, though.

2.63/5  rDev -36.2%

Hazy gold to light amber. Off white head. Leaves a nice sticky lacing on the glass.

I get some grassy notes. Sweetness from the Marris Otter. The BJCP guidlines Say American, English and/or noble varieties can be used. I2PA used all three, and the EKG is prominent.

Some initial maltiness. Finishes semi-dry with a rush of alcohol warmth. Not really liking this one too much.

The mouth feel is medium to full bodied. Some alcohol warming. This beer's best attribute.

Over all, I'm not a fan of I2PA. I don't really like the use of English hops. I normally expect mor citrus flavor in this style.

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

This beer really came to the table with high expectations and it met and exceeded them. Beautiful light copper color with a nice head. A smell that tickled the nose and got the blood pumping. The hops and malt really work well together in this big beer. The IBU's were rated at 74, however I would be willing to bet that they may be higher. The taste was like fireworks on the tongue. I could not belive how wonderful this beer was especially when compared to Stones ruinatin ipa. This beer ranks up there with the best of the Imperial IPA's on the market. The only one that I have enjoyed more would be Dogfish head 120. I rank this beer in my top five easily.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Reviewed on tap at the Draught House in Austin with Pegasus
Aroma: An inviting mix of cascade hops buttery caramel and butterscotch.
Appearance: A hazy amber with a great fluffy head of white, but no lace.
Flavor: This is all about the hops baby, but it’s well backed with malt as to leave a refreshing crisp taste without hop burn or overdose.
Mouthfeel: Medium body with a hint of chew. Despite the massive hop and sizable alcohol, no burn at all.
Overall Impression: Not over the top, but towards the top of the hill. So tasty it could actually make a session. Very enjoyable and well enjoyed.

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

This was the beer I finished with at Anam Cara yesterday...uh, probably good that I stopped here. It's a big beer, and I couldn't have any more than what I did. Color was a medium brewed tea, I got a ton of cut grass aroma off of it, very pleasant and a nice change. I thought the taste was 100% grassy hops. The mouthfeel is pretty thick with this one, so it was nice to have the grassy, almost slight acidity of the hops to sort of cut through. I did think the mouthfeel was also a bit course, not sure what that was a product of. Good, but only one at a time for this beer.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: Very good. Hazy burnt orange. Nice head.

Smell: Very good. Hopd provide citrus boquet. Some ripe fruit.

Taste: Good. Hops too predominate.

Mouthfeel: Very good. Full. Nice carbonation.

Drinkabilty: Good. Good beer. Maybe too much Cascade for too many of these.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Twelve ounce brown silk screened bottle - no dates.

Orangey-gold colour, clear. Capped by an immense snow white foam. Excellent head retention.

Notes of soft orange & pine dominate the nose.

Somewhat sweet to start & then its all about the hops. Interesting blend of hops (cascade, saaz, & goldings listed on label). Orange & pine flavours lead the way - but are soft & subdued. This is followed up by a bit of spiciness, along with some earthy / woody flavours. Some lemony notes are thrown in for good measure. Prickly robust carbonation, medium bodied.

4.79/5  rDev +16.3%

Hazy Golden colour with an almost non-existent head. Nothing but hops on the nose. Suddenly a gang of angry hops enter the room. They proceed pommel my taste buds with extreme fury. Distinctive grapefruit flavor is present throughout. Finally they stop letting a surprising, and welcome, burst of malt take over. I expected bitterness coming into this beer, but all I got was the most hop flavor I've ever experienced. Goes down quite smooth for a I2PA. The alcohol is covered very well and is only noticed in the warming effect as the this wonderful liquid goes down my throat.

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

Now I know why they call it an Imperial Pale Ale. Nice malts balance out this brew. Pouired out a dark cloudy orange color with little carbonation shown in this beer. Smell consisted of hops, pine, herbal, and citric notes also in there. Taste consisted of hops and more hops. But what I loved about this brew is that the malts balanced it out perfectly. The sweetness in the middle I thought was going to be overpowering, but the malts balanced out the sweetness and the hops. Aftertaste was mostly citric notes. Could of used just a little more carbonation, but that's just a minor complaint. A very good IPA.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

pours a beautiful hazy sunset with massive rocky off white head. as expected the aroma is huge on hops. lots of grapefruit and citrus, some sweetness as well, light alcohol notes too. taste is big, really big. sweeter and maltier than i had expected, caramel comes through and balances out the explosive hop character. juicy and bitter with a slight alcohol note that only adds to the experiance. intense but welcoming at the same time. full in the mouth with good carbonation, this is a big beer. this is awesome, huge hops, big malt, lots of alcohol and great balance all come together and make one sick ass beer. ill be back, no doubt.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

I was flying solo when I had this on-tap at Anam Cara in Brookline, MA on 3/13/04.

Poured with an unslovenly, milky head. The color was hazelnut in color, striations of honey throughout, with a slight haze floating about. H(oppy)oppy bouquet, and could practically feel the buds getting caught between my teeth. The strongest hit was through the middle of my tongue, with a true buzz throughout the mouth. A slight crunchiness to the feel made this even more complex brew even more enjoyable - reminded me of earth and where all of this comes from. A strong hop finish calculatedly hid the alcohol and made me consider ordering up a second one, despite the fact I was already late meeting my buddy Jim. Screw him, I ordered another.

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

cloudy orange, lovely lace and residue. Enticing spice and grapefruit hop along with grainy. Sparkles the tongue. British and American What 10.3%? Alcohol kicks in brutal finish. Malt allows it to be drinkable. Had on tap two years later and not as good, a bit metallic.

4.92/5  rDev +19.4%

Finally found a 12 oz bottle of this in Lexington, Ky, a couple weeks ago. This seems to be difficult to locate, and after sampling a bottle it's easy to see why.

Pours a sludgy orange body, with a two finger beige head that hangs around for a few minutes before draping the pint glass with impressive sheets of lace. Looks very impressive in the glass.

Aroma is complex, with a strong dose of caramel malt seducing the nose, at first whiff. Malt aroma is quickly brushed aside by a bigtime assault of citrus hops. Grapefruit and tangerine notes waste no time in taking over the aroma sensations. Wild rose florals make an appearance, as well. Fabulous aromas remind me of Key West, in early spring.

Mouthfeel impresses with creamy, coating hop resins that refuse to exert harshness. Carbonation is just right, and about medium on the scale.

Taste is exceptional. This would be one of the five ales that I would choose to take to a deserted island. The caramel malt here, is able to perservere through a dramatic assault of topnotch hops. Citrus, pine, and floral hops maintain an assertive presence all the way through, but there is a delicate caramel malt undertone that enables this to maintain an extraordinary balance.

Rogue has rolled out a supernatural experience with this 12PA. Can't wait to try one of these on tap or cask conditioned.

XS Imperial India Pale Ale from Rogue Ales