XS Imperial India Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Alias: "I2PA"

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Two-row Pipkin Pale.
Hops: Saaz, Cascade & Northwest Golding.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

20º PLATO
75 AA
13º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of XS Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Terp96

4.5/5  rDev +9%

You can imagine my surprise when I found this on tap at Max's in Fells Point, MD.

Poured a hazy, yellow-orange with about an inch thick head that quickly subsided.

Aroma was amazing. Everything typical from Rogue. Very floral, citrusy with little or no alcohol in the nose.

This beer tasted so good. Again, very hoppy with a nice dry finish. Complex and clean at the same time. You cannot taste any of the alcohol or yeast as is common in many double IPAs.

Mouthfeel was good. Very balanced and just the right weight for an IPA. Not to heavy and not too thin.

This is a very drinkable brew. I had two before moved on to my next conquest. I will have to get back before this one is gone.

11-10-2005 16:46:27 | More by Terp96
orfeu

New Mexico

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

750 mL black ceramick swingtop. Somewhat hazy golden amber with a frothy head, about two fingers. Nose is pine and citrus, mostly grapefruit and spruce, with a persistent peach aroma and toffee malts near the back. Taste is grapefruit pith, orange zest and honeyish malt. Decent sticky lacing. The mouthfeel is juicy and spicy, more or less entirely appropriate. Drinkability is outstanding, but dammit, I can't afford to drink a $12 bottle of this glorious beverage all the time. Seek this one out, at least once. Although the price is higher than justifiable for more than once or twice a year.

11-06-2005 21:37:55 | More by orfeu
blackie

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%

appearance: Large ceramic bottle. The pour into the snifter creates a .3" white head that slowly dissipates to just a collar of large bubbles around the glass. Some floaters remain in suspension. The beer is honey amber in color.

smell: A large amount of aromatic, floral hops on the nose. A generous serving of malt provides some good balance against their onslaught. Some grapefruit, slight pineapple, and some assorted sweet tropical fruits. Smells good. Upon fully inhaling the vapors, the alcohol becomes apparent.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is medium, and the body a slightly slick medium.

taste: Nice hop flavors coming through, maybe even more flavor than bitterness it feels like to me. More citrus and tropical fruit here. I am drinking this at cellar temperature and there are alcohol notes everywhere. Finish is a lingering sweetness that is eventually beat out by the bitterness with a few alcohol fumes remaining. Could maybe use some more malt flavors.

drinkability: eh, drinkable enough for me to finish this ceramic bottle, but that is about enough.

10-28-2005 02:59:57 | More by blackie
Knuckles

Washington

3.68/5  rDev -10.9%

You know, I'm just about Rogue'd out. They've become the Pearl Jam of craft brewers, and I need a freaking break. I don't actually know what that means, other than I feel like Shakespeare Stout is Jeremy, and he needs to have his ass kicked. In an anti-colonialist fervor, I attack the I2PA that I've had in my fridge for several months now (I actually had two, but my brother-in-law drank one when I wasn't looking). I actually decided that tonight would be a good night to make a lamb curry, so the I2PA seems to fit right in with that. I'm sure my spiritual brothers and sisters in India probably don't think the British colonial on the bottle is too dope, but what can you do? So it's off to the tiki god bottle opener, and with a somewhat sticky beginning (the caps a wee bit rusty), I get my beer on.

Appearance: Well, in the annals of lame-ass pours, this one has to be right up there. In my sixteen ounce New Glarus pint glass, I manage to create approximately 10 ounces of head (by volume, of course). It looks like the sky just crapped a cumulous cloud in my beer. I'm alternately fascinated by it as it creates its own thunder heads, and annoyed with myself because it makes my pour take almost ten minutes longer than it should. The color is plaer than I'd expect, almost the same orange as my JFK bust (a pale, chill-hazed, fresh pumpkin orange).

Smell: Well, by golly, I done smelled me some hops. Holy crap, that's a snootful. As it warms, the malts catch up a bit to cut the hop assault, which is nice. It was especially aggressive while I had my Porco Rosso Cloud thing going on in the glass. The bottle informs me that it has Cascade, Saaz & Kent, and Goldings.

Taste: Now that'sa spicy meataball! Or beer. Whatever. Is it the Saaz & Kent combo that gives it the spicy character? There is little of the typical West Coast citrusiness that I'm accustomed to in double IPAs. Also, the malts are very much catching up with this thing in the middle, but I'll be damned if the Goldings don't kick ithe malts ass out the finish. Just this huge hunk o' hop bitterness squatting right in the center of your tongue.

Mouthfeel: Pretty nice, John. This one, unlike some doubles, actually creates the presence in your mouth that reminds you quite insistently that "Yes, thank you very much, I am 9.20% alcohol by volume. Pip pip! Huzzah!"

Drinkability: This is a good beer, and decently balanced. My only complaint with it is that weird, gargoylesque presence of the bitter hop nugget that just sets upon its setupon, right there in the middle of your tongue. You don't need to remind me that you're one hoppy mofo (although at 74 IBUs, I've had hoppier, better balanced beers). This is a good beer, and if you can get it for a good price, go for it. But if you can't, I'd go with something else (like a Whoop Pass, for instance).

****For the record, my lamb curry kicked ASS.

10-28-2005 01:37:54 | More by Knuckles
dirtylou

Washington

4.13/5  rDev 0%

12oz single from Riley's...I had 5 singles picked out (4 of them for a trade) and needed 1 more to get 10% off on the 6...This was reasonably priced so it got the call

appearance: cloudy golden orange, creamy white head, some major lacing, massive amounts of sediment...quite nice

smell: nice and citrusy, great hoppy aromas, some alcohol, a little grassy and earthy

taste: pretty solid...a thick malty backbone with delightful fruity and grassy hops...alcohol definately apparent. very sweet, a little piney, orange, tangerine, and lemon dominate the fruitiness

mouthfeel: pretty thick for a DIPA, yet still refreshing

Well done Rogue, much better than the imperial stout imo

10-25-2005 02:06:16 | More by dirtylou
Shultzerdugen

Missouri

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

75 cl bottle that put me back $15! That is outrageous, but of course I'm a big enough geek to pay it.

Hazed orange in color with a nice white froth. Surprisingly bubbly considering the high alcohol.

Big time hops come right out and give a stinging bitch slap. Conifers, citrus, tropical fruits; slightly sweet and some booze as well.

Medium-full body, oily and resinous. Initially sweet, the beer goes quickly to the hops: citric, piney, herbal, aspirin. You can taste the malt but it's not in the front!

Not worth the price of admission, but I'm a big enough sucker for hops that I'll probably buy it again.

10-23-2005 14:41:12 | More by Shultzerdugen
RedHaze

Nebraska

Poured a hazy orange color with a one finger head that quickly receded with very little lace. Looks a lot like a wheat beer, it's so cloudy.

Smell was lots of hops, piney, with some citrus in there as well.

Initial taste is grapefruit, foloowed by a big hop kick, then with an almost honey-like sweet finish. It has a thick, almost syrupy mouthfeel.

If you like hops, then you'll definitely like this beer.

10-11-2005 02:41:22 | More by RedHaze
SSGPat

4.43/5  rDev +7.3%

It was not a glass bottle, but an earthenware bottle with a Grolsch type cap.

Poured a cloudy orange, with very little head or lace. This didn't seem to be unexpected because of the high alcohol.

Nose was very hoppy. I mean VERY hoppy.

The first taste strikes you with an uppercut of hopps that fades off into a very bitter beer with a malty undertone, then it slides into a slight dirty taste (I have tried to figure a better way to explain this, but dirt is all that I could come up with).

The mouthfeel was big and bold as one would expect from a Double IPA, but nothing earth-shattering.

This beer is quite drinkable, although it isn't the type of beer that you will find it hard to put down.

My biggest let-down with this beer was the belch. There was not a real hoppiness to the belch.

I prefer the Dogfish Head Double 90 minute IPA better.

09-17-2005 21:25:43 | More by SSGPat
beveragecaptain

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Hazy orange with a huge head. Fruit and pine hop aroma. Flavor is extremely bitter. It burns the tongue. Slightly fruity with a big hop flavor. Malt is not completely dominated, but it's in the background. Mouthfeel is full. Drinkable, but certainly a slow sipper. It takes a minute to get used to the intense hop bitterness, but it is worth getting used to.

09-12-2005 01:58:45 | More by beveragecaptain
numenor1

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Ceramic swingtops are a rip off. Only consolation is that i can bottle my own in them. Pours hazy dark orange with minimal head and no lacing. Smells of massive floral, piny hops and some caramel malts, the characteristic rogue yeast smell is strangely absent. Hops give the palate a kick right upfront to start the show, and just after the malt backbone, which is wonderful and substantial tries to take over but yet fails. Bitterness is quite high and its hops all over the place fading into a spicy hop finish. This seems to have very very little rogue yeast character, the least of any of the rogues i've tried. Carbonation is very low, a nice medium full body that goes down smooth. Alcohol is ever so slightly apparent, and leaves a warm feeling going down. I like this but nowhere near enough for its pricetag. It was nice to try once. DFH 90 minute is much better in my opinion.

09-07-2005 18:26:03 | More by numenor1
paterlodie

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Not much head and light brown beercolor with lots of haze. Nose is 95% hops giving it orange, peach and pine arome. Next to that litle malts but overal very fresh. Taste is very bitter and full malty with lots of restsugars givingit a full body. Lots of alcohol and low carbonisation can't hurt freshness cause of the enourmous amonts of hops. Very hard bitterness but I love it this way. Great mouthfeel also but you must like the bitterness in a brew otherwise better pass it to me!

09-03-2005 14:41:04 | More by paterlodie
orsulacp

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Bought this in the clay bottle, it poured a hazy copper with very little head. There is a citrus smell, with some honey and a bit of pine. Kind of sweet, strong malts, I do taste some honey and there is some bitterness on the end. It is very smooth, mediium carbonation with a dry finish. The malt stands out more than I expected.

09-02-2005 19:29:51 | More by orsulacp
sopor

3.35/5  rDev -18.9%

750ml clay bottle. Not worth the money, but the bottle is pretty neat. I'll never spend the money on it again though. Made pouring smooth a pain in the ass too, they need to re-design the neck if they continue to use these overpriced hunks of clay.

Pale amber with huge frothy head (told ya pouring was a pain). Fine sediment is evenly distributed and does not settle. The head dies slowly leaving some decent lace on the glass.

Slight sweet smell immediatley overpowered by hops that want to kick your nose right off your face.

Another kick to the face. This beer hurts! Thin toasty then syrupy crystal malt quickly enveloped by resinous bitter hops that are just out of line! Not balanced in the least bit. This beer is big, and that's about the best thing I can say about the flavor.

Moderate body and fairly lively carbonation. Not very drinkable.

08-30-2005 20:03:23 | More by sopor
egajdzis

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured an orangeish red color with a creamy white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Citrusy, floral hop aroma, and some sweet malt and toasted dough. Taste of strong hops, lots of citrus, with some caramel malt, piney, resiny and alcohol in the finish.

08-30-2005 00:53:41 | More by egajdzis
apfactor

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

12oz bottle, poured to a light copper color with yeast still swimming in it. Soft creamy head. Looking good.

You can smell a strong hop character right off the bat. Slight citrus aroma.

Hops jump out at you. If you love a strong hoppy IPA strap yourself in. The malt has presence too but the hops are constantly biting at your palate. Goes down fairly smooth for how much character it has. Slight grapefruity aftertaste. Nice and bitter. This is one of the best out there. I am not the same man.

08-21-2005 22:35:10 | More by apfactor
sinistermadman

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

First of all I am not even sure I am reviewing the right beer. It is Rogue, but it looks nothing like the picture on BA. This bottle is black ceramic with a clasp-type top and is labeled Imperial India Pale Ale, I2PA is no where to be found. Ingredients are listed on the label: 100% Floor malted maris otter pale malt; saaz; cascade and northwest golding hops; free range coastal water and top fermenting pacman yeast.

This brew pours a brilliant, but hazy amber color while emanating a burly pancake head. Foam subsides to leave a slight lacing.

Smell: Ripe fruit, mild citrus, yeast with a slightly floral nose.

Mouthfeel is slightly grainy and bready. This brew starts off semi-sweet for about 4 nanoseconds before the hops kick in. Malts are coupled well here to keep the bitterness in check. Slightly warming alcohol finish leaves a subtle leafy aftertaste.

In summary this is a damn fine pale, but the price tends to make you weep. Is it worth the cash? It is definitely debateable, but for me I'll stick with an Ayinger 4-pack anyday instead of one bottle of this stuff. No disrespect, but a little too pricy for me. Still a solid offering that is well worth a try. Cheers.

08-10-2005 00:00:07 | More by sinistermadman
AlexJ

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

Pale amber yellow with a dense white head that sort of stays put and leaves fine trickling lace.

Aroma is sweet, toasty malt, scorched sugar, and generous grapefruit, pine, and sweet floral notes. Nice nose, but not intense as some other IIPA's.

Starts with bittersweet honey malts, bread dough, and is quickly washed over by citrus/grapefruit, fruity sweet floral notes, and a helping of resinous pine. Not as balanced as some other examples, but what the hell, hops are what this style is all about.

Medium bodied with a full, creamy, almost resinous mouthfeel. The high ABV is well integrated, making it highly drinkable, although it bears a very high price tag. I miss the 12 oz bottles, which I used to purchase for 3 bucks apiece. Now it's 14$ for 25 ounces. I declare Shenanagins!

08-05-2005 12:29:54 | More by AlexJ
PSUDREW

3.65/5  rDev -11.6%

Surpisingly smooth for a DIPA, but, it a nice change of pace from the rouge people

Pours a hazy golden (sediment and all), with a fluffy white head that aces rather nicely. The citrus smell comes through in the nose, with slight bread qualitites, and even slighter hoppisness (different form the citrus)

Taste is rahter nice. Very strong malt taste, slightly smoke, not quite, but almost like a barley wine. sweetness is also preent, there is enough hops in the aftertase, but, as a DIPA I expected more. Alchohol taste is very much there, and, now that I think of it, might down out some of the hop presence.

Not overly drinkable, but a nce beer to try more then once.

07-27-2005 03:54:39 | More by PSUDREW
cubedbee

Maryland

4.47/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a hazy golden orange with a finger of dense white head and some small black floaties. Smells strongly of sweet citrus and grapefruit hops, with a breadiness coming through as well. Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth oily and mouthcoating, very nice. Big bready malt tastes balanes with an almost sour orange and grapefruit hops. Nice long pleasant lingering bitter aftertaste. Alcohol presense does make itself known on this one, but it's so smooth and tasty that it's dangerous.

07-16-2005 18:02:28 | More by cubedbee
goodbyeohio

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

on-tap @ the moan and dove

thick but clear mild orange with some struggling carbonation. mild head that dissolves to a thick coating of thin bubbles... lots of sticky sheet lacing. hoppy sweet with an abundance of spice and bitterness. not much malt shining through here. botanically fresh. inviting aroma on this supposed hop monster. malt is there in the flavor.. in a burnt, smoky fashion. approaching barleywine status in its bitter alcoholic nature. lots of anise and hop-induced tang. perfect mouthfeel for an ipa.. substatial, chewy but not syrupy.. drinkable but nowhere near being called 'light'. leaves you with a bitter aftertaste of charred wood, peaches, and hop resin. a true double ipa and a beer for the ages. one of the best rogue beers out there.

aroma and drinkability suffers from a lack of balance, as it often does with huge beers like this one.

will return to this anytime i want to feel the picturesque double ipa feel....

07-14-2005 08:11:16 | More by goodbyeohio
growler

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Served from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Coppery-orange color and light head.
Citrusy sweet smell. A malty flavor with a faint alcohol trace up front, and a nice dry hoppy finish. Hops linger long after and this I2PA is one big bad double IPA. Definitely drinkable and will have again. Can't wait to try on tap at Rogue Ales Public House while on vacation next month.

07-10-2005 23:52:29 | More by growler
phishgator

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%

This is the first Double IPA that I ever had. And it still stands the test of time. The aroma can be savoured for hours and the brew can only get better as it warms. Alcohol is present and after one, its felt. Big bodied, so it takes from the mouthfeel. The bitterness is pushing the envelope! The hops are the center piece to this puzzle! This is my favorite Double IPA.

07-05-2005 17:18:22 | More by phishgator
mynie

Indiana

4.72/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours dark orange from a 12 ounce bottle with a nice, tight head. Normally when I say a beer is "orange" I mean it's just a shade of yellow bordering on orange--but this bad boy is blood red orange.

Smells of incredibly harsh hops along with incredibly harsh pacman yeast. It's like one of them Magic Eye puzzles, only for the nose. The more you smell, the more things seems to pop out of nowhere. Bread. The icing on a birthday cake. Yeast. Grapefruit. Fantastic.

Malt upfront, hops in the middle and back. Yeast all throughout. The malt is yeasty, of course, with distinct nodes of bread and biscuit. The hops are alternate sour and bitter, grapefruint and orange rhind. Wonderful.

Wow wow wow wow wow. It's like the best part of all my favorite Rogues has been condensed into its powdered form--a shot right into your veins that fucks you up for days. Freebasing is more intense.

06-26-2005 05:54:41 | More by mynie
fisherman34

Manitoba (Canada)

3.78/5  rDev -8.5%

Dark orange in colour with minimal carbonation. The aroma is hoppy, mainly herbal/grassy with only a hint of orange/grapefruit. There’s also a bit of an alcohol note to it as well. Big mouth-coating malty flavor’s dominate. It’s quite bread like, with a nice strong hop presence. The hops are there and are powerful, but still retain a nice mellow balance. A very enjoyable beer.

06-22-2005 21:39:06 | More by fisherman34
kpantz

3.8/5  rDev -8%

Executive Summary: A great, great IIPA, but not all I had hoped for. Still like DFH 90 a little better.

Poured a pretty, hazy orange with a thin head that refused to completely quit. Nose was citrus with a good hop aroma to balance it.

Taste: This was where my excitement waned a bit. First sip was very, very pleasing. Sweet to start, and a good hop character all around. Noticed the alcohol taste more and more as I worked my way through each ounce, especially as the beer warmed up in the glass. My suggestion - if you're not in the mood for that alcohol flavor, keep this puppy cool.

Mouthfeel: Terrific. Medium thickness with an ideal carbonation level for this style.

Drinkability: Meh. Not a session brew. Then again, most sessions with IIPAs are pretty short, anyway!

06-16-2005 19:04:39 | More by kpantz