XS Imperial India Pale Ale - Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

Alias: "I2PA"

6 Ingredients:
Malts: Two-row Pipkin Pale.
Hops: Saaz, Cascade & Northwest Golding.
Yeast & Water: Rogue's Pacman Yeast & Free Range Coastal Water.

20º PLATO
75 AA
13º Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of XS Imperial India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Troyone

4.68/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured a hazy almost nontransparent wheat color with lots of carb action and a three inch head that dissipates with lacing. Has some residual yeast (probably) at the bottom of the glass.

Lots of hops, a toasty caramel malt aroma with heavy herbal pine lemon lime hops and hints of bubble gum, white wine, honey, and vanilla.

Ahh, hoppy heaven taste, moderately sweet, lightly acidic and lightly bitter; has a cookie dough and toasted caramel malt taste, herbal pine and grapefruit lemon lime hops, and hints of bubblegum, white dessert wine, butterscotch, honey, and vanilla.

Medium to full body, slightly syrupy and creamy texture, lively soft almost fizzy carbonation, and a smooth lightly alcoholic finish.

Scarry, a session beer with 9.2%, very drinkable and my favorite - hoppy.

02-06-2005 03:47:11 | More by Troyone
goindownsouth

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Out of one of the "XS" bombers at JP O'Malley's in Allentown on 1.28.05...

As fine an American Double IPA as I have tried in a long while, this brew presented out of the bottle in all its glory with a slightly pale orangish hue. The head was bubbly and frothy, and remained in a lace form along the sides of the glass throughout. The aromas are unmistakeable...piney, resiny and citrusy, in that order - and it was fantastic. The flavor was smooth without being overpowering in any way. While those with me on this evening were rather turned off by this brew, I savored overy ounce. Of course, with 9.2% ABV, the drinkability from a "session" standpoint may need to be considered. Still, a fabulous representation of this style...

Prosit!

01-29-2005 16:40:52 | More by goindownsouth
hero27

4.72/5  rDev +14.3%

12 oz. "XS" bottle. Typical gorgeous Rogue etching.

Appearance: The bottle doesn't look too intimidating, but I have a feeling that it'll be quite menacing once the cap comes off.. Pours a beautiful cloudy copper/orange color. Reminds me of SNCA in appearance and aroma, actually. Pure white, pillowy head which leaves a great lacing.

Smell: Can't pick up much here..hint of biscuity malts and some.. oh hell, who am I trying to kid here.. The piney, grapefruit hop aromas literally seem to jump out of the bottle as soon as you crack this baby open. I have recently become quite the hop head, so I can now fully appreciate this beer. I've only smelled one beer stronger, that being the infamous Ruination IPA. While the hops are a bit more subtle than Stone's rendition, calling them "subtle" to begin with is almost laughable. Great complex citrus hop aroma..it just may change your sense of smell permanently.

Taste: Way more balanced than I expected it to be, actually. Comparing with Ruination, I definitely like this better. I dunno how much malt they had to put in, but it had to have been a lot. Alcohol warmth is almost masked completely by the complex hops and malts, but is present nonetheless.

Mouthfeel: Medium-to-full bodied with a somewhat slick mouthfeel. I think you could hold this in your mouth all day and it would just grow in complexity...however, your taste buds would probably be waving a white flag to surrender after a few short minutes..

Drinkability: Drinkability is good for a double IPA such as this. But, in good nature, I have to take it down a notch due to the high alcohol, relatively high price, and sensory overload associated with this beer. Don't give a bottle to someone who is new to craft beers, that's for sure..unless you want to scare them, that is...which, in that case, go right ahead.

Simply outstanding IIPA.

01-25-2005 21:26:19 | More by hero27
ncbrewerbun

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

From a 12-oz. brown bottle.

Impressive pour. Color is a yellow/amber with a big super creamy head that lasted for the long time I relaxed and enjoyed this beer and laced the glass with each sip.

Huge hop aroma -- citrus, some spice...and some perceivable malt, too.

Flavor is huge, just like the aroma. This is a beer for those who will appreciate it. Strong, nearing "over-the-top" status on hops and malts. Intense and enjoyable.

A chewy beer....

I believe my bottle was a bit old, or it would have been rated even higher.

Overall, a great experience. Have one.

01-22-2005 20:43:14 | More by ncbrewerbun
twelvsies

Maine

3.8/5  rDev -8%

Impressive appearance. Pours a nice dark hearty amber color. Quintessential (spelling?) beer color. Huge dark head that stays all the way down the glass. Great lacing as well. Smells fruity and hoppy and tastes much the same. Great piney sappy hop flavor with a lot of fruity tones in there. Apircots, apples, oranges. Very very fruity. I think my only criticism of this beer is that it seemed a little too sweet to me. I did drink this one a bit warmer than I normally drink IPAs, so that may be the difference. Definately a good beer though, don't get me wrong. I'll for sure try this one again.

01-20-2005 19:10:50 | More by twelvsies
carln26

Missouri

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from the bottle a hazy orange to copper color with a medium cream colored head that settled quickly in the glass. A thin ring of lace was left as I had a drink. The aroma has a very bright citrus and hop flower character. Just a little pine in the back of the nose. The taste has a strong fruit presence up front. The citrus/grapefruit is there, but there is something else,. Maybe a touch of apple. Not as bitter as I expected from the bright color, there is a tartness and a sweetness that balance some of the IBUs. The sweetness comes from some malt that you can detect on the finish. Slightly slick mouth feel, surprisingly drinkable.

01-18-2005 23:21:05 | More by carln26
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Upon re-review, this is one of the best damn beers I've had. When I first experienced this beer, I was still a beginner to the world of intense hops bitterness. In fact, this was my frist I2PA, if I remember correctly. But now that I have had other examples of the style I feel comfortable in saying that this is not the nearly over-bearingly bitter beer that I once reviewed. At 75 IBU's, it is actually quite sweet until the finish when the hops remind you of their presence. I will definitely buy another in the near future, but I couldn't down more than 1 or 2 of these in a night without crossing the boundary between the perfect buzz and flat out drunk. Definitely worth a try for hop heads or those who are beginners to the world of intensely hopped beer. I wasn't a HUGE fan when I first tried it, but I marked it for re-review. I am quite glad I did so. Rogue was one of my gateway breweries to the hops, and I couldn't possibly go back after to macro swill after tonight (as if I actually enjoyed drinking that shit before I discovered real beer in the first place).

12-30-2004 07:05:23 | More by neonbrown82
mattcrill

4.08/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange/amber with little floaties in it. Leaves a white, crusty head that laces nicely down the glass.

Smell: Pine and grapefruit hop presence are upfront. Very inviting. There is a slight carmel base that can be picked up after the pine and grapefruit kick your ass.

Taste: The pine and grapefruit follow up the smell with good taste. Also, a peppery feel swats my tongue around. A good malty base rounds out the tasting but the hops are definitely boss in this beer.

Mouthfeel: big and slightly creamy. Leaves the tongue kind of prickly due to the hops.

Drinkability: This is a great beer. One of my favorite hoppy beers. A classic to be sure. Highly recommended.

12-21-2004 02:30:46 | More by mattcrill
SBPCGuru

Colorado

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Have been waiting on this beer for months. Finally went to Eugene, OR and picked up some unique Rogue brews. Massive crowning head formed when poured into my freshly washed and air-dryed pint glass. 1" lacing wiggles down the side of the glass to the very end. Tatse: A sweet citrus flavor with that BIG bitter hop bite at the end. The sweetnest I was not expecting, but enjoy none the less. Dominant aftertaste of my favorite reason I love beer: HOPS. Very drinkable, wish it was distributed here down in SoCal. This beer almost reminds me of the Wild Dog Double Pale Ale. Definaltey reccommend this fine Rogue ale to any fine beer lover.

12-04-2004 05:31:06 | More by SBPCGuru
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +9%

This was a hazy deep yellow brew with a very huge head that left a lot of lacing. Actually, it foamed out of the bottle upon opening... surely a panic situation if there ever was one.

The aroma was of MAJOR hops... BIG blasts of pine, sprice, and citrus in the nose. Quite a delectable scent.

The taste was also a hop bomb. It was highly bitter initially, with a very strong pine flavor. Light citrus blended in, and there was a long bitter hop finish.

This is an excellent brew. Well balanced, not too sweet, good slightly chewy mouthfeel, and highly drinkable for a hophead like me. I had a 12 oz. bottle, and wished I had a bomber.

DAYUM this was a great one! Only one better to date has been 90 minute IPA.

12-04-2004 03:54:53 | More by connecticutpoet
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

The silk-screened label displays a mustachioed, pith helmet-wearing member of the East India Company during the British Raj, as if to remind us of the origins of this robust variation of the greatest of all beer styles, India Pale Ale (so sayeth me). I've noticed that in addition to Kent Goldings hops, I2PA contains Saaz and Cascade. Perhaps that's to honor the little known London to Munich to Portland to Bombay trade route.

Perfectly clear, resplendent, tangerine peel orange. The occasional speck-like bubble rises in slow motion to an orange-tinted, cream colored head. The pitting foam is creamydense and is leaving a solid circumferential sheet of minutely speckled lace on the pint glass. A beautiful, classic look.

The wonderfully citrusy, tropical fruity nose is spritzing estery hop goodness into the immediate atmosphere. There's also a brassy, grounded, I-mean-business component to the aroma that lets me know that I'm dealing with a DIPA. Not much actual malt though... thank goodness. I had little doubt before popping the cap that I was gonna like this one; now any trace of doubt is all but extinguished.

Yowza! The malt structure is more than solid. Hell, it's constructed with steel I-beams. Big flavor on a big body. The beer is modestly sweet with an uncompromisingly full body that is lightened a little by a greater than expected amount of carbonation. A firm headbutt of bitter hoppiness is kept in check by malt and incompletely masked alcohol. I can't say that I appreciate Saaz per se, but there is a floral note to the hoppiness that must be due to the Bavarian stowaway.

Rogue Imperial Pale Ale is a little too malty and a little light on over-the-top hoppiness for me. It is, however, a full-throttle, unapologetic DIPA that wears its heart on its sleeve. I could make a few suggestions (chuck the Saaz overboard), but on second thought, it's fine the way it is. A distinctive version and a very good one.

12-03-2004 22:14:18 | More by BuckeyeNation
WesWes

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

The beer pours a nice golden color with a 1/4" white head that slowly fades to lacing. There are quite alot of floaties. The aroma is good. It has a rich malty scent that boasts of pale and bisquit malts. It is balanced with a healthy portion of citrus hop aroma. The taste is good also. It has a very bitter hop flavor that leaves quite an aftertaste. It is rich in pale malts and warms on the finish. The mouthfeel is great. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a great beer. It has a smooth and bitter flavor goes down easy; a good drinker.

11-30-2004 00:43:37 | More by WesWes
Popsinc

Ontario (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: cloudy orange pour with a generous, foamy off-white head.

Smell: hoppy, bitter, orange peel, ripe fruits, floral & fresh.

Taste: alcohol is present right away as is the hop bitterness. it's right in your face. fruity but not necessarily sweet. an almost chalky quality. hops become even more prominent towads the end of the sip and they linger very long. super bitter and dry finish. some peppery spice as well. alcohol warmth on the end.

Mouthfeel: a little more full and lively compared to lets say DFH 90 Minute. creamy and medium bodied.

Drinkability: a really big flavour profile. makes for a good sipper but not a session beer...of course the high ABV prevents a session beer anyway. Top notch nonetheless.

11-20-2004 20:23:30 | More by Popsinc
Fish113d

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

A friend of mine got me this bottle, to which I don't know the difference really between the regular imperial IPA and the I2PA, but here goes nothin'....

Pouring it into a pint glass at about 50 degrees (F), it pours a nice golden/orange color that is very cloudy...not too much light shining thought this puppy! The head is rather thin, but 1/4 inches and it clings to the glass fairly nicely and sustains for quite some time.

The smell is mostly ridden with the floral, bitter hops w/ faint hints of pale (grainy) malts and a little fruitiness that I was not able to distinguish exactly.

Upon tasting, the hops punches me in the face right away and it takes me an 8-count to realize that I am not in Kansas anymore! Pale malts come through a tad-bit, with a nice sugary sweetness on the swallow..however, the hops are obviously the prominent ingredient!

This is a nicely carbonated beer that slightly stings your tongue upon sipping and a nice aftertaste to follow.

This is a hop heads dream! Most regular beer drinkers would frown at this one, but I must say, this is a great find! I gotta thank John for this one!!!

11-08-2004 00:41:04 | More by Fish113d
moocey

Alabama

4.78/5  rDev +15.7%

12oz brown bottle with painted label.

Appearance - Majestic cloudy orange. Ridiculous amount of head if not careful.

Smell - Citrusy, and of course, Pacman yeast.

Taste - This is the most bitter, hoppy beer I've ever tasted. This is my first time to even try an IPA and this is a double IPA. All my inexperienced palate can pick out right now is hoppy, bitter, and slightly alcoholic.. Grapefruits wrapped in pine needles? There's just enough malt to keep the hops from completey overtaking everything . ... I think I'm in heaven. This is delicious. Moutfeel is absolutely substantially perfect. I wish the alcohol content was lower so I could drink a few more of these and not get plastered. This isn't just beer. This is something that transcends all understanding short of actually expereincing it! Absolutely outstanding!

11-04-2004 03:03:56 | More by moocey
crookedhalo

4.13/5  rDev 0%

12 oz. bottle that pours a cloudy orangy yellow color with a volumnous light beige head. Strong, piney hop aroma hits the nostrils as soon as the bottle is uncapped. Very clean aroma, you can almost discern the Saaz and Kent Goldings underneath the Cascade hops. Powerful in taste; between spritzy carbonation, extreme hoppiness and malty, thick mouthfeel, this beer is quite the contender in the imperial IPA "race". Very enjoyable on all levels. Wow, it's strong.

11-03-2004 18:45:20 | More by crookedhalo
stevef

Tennessee

3.8/5  rDev -8%

Pours a hazy amber color with a large creamy off white head. Lots of bubbles and a few floaties. Smells sweet and malty with a light floral hop presence. Taste is malty sweet just like the smell with a hint of citrus. The malty sweetness, so noticeable on first taste is nicely balanced by a hoppy bitterness in the end. A very noticeable alcohol presence. While I enjoyed this beer and would drink it again in the future, the overbearing characteristics of the alcohol would prevent me from enjoying it on a regular basis.

10-31-2004 04:27:06 | More by stevef
orbitalr0x

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

This one pours a nice cloudy bright orange from the 12oz bottle. Looks yummy in the glass..just like a good I2PA should. The anticipation mounts....first smells are a wall of piney, citrusy hops with a sweet caramel backing. Nice, but not as overwhelming as some I2PA's I've had.

First sip is a hop dropkick in the freakin teeth. Citrus and pine notes flow over the palate along with a brutal amount of biterness. The biterness and alcohol burn the back of my throat on the way down. Massive. Caramel malt backs this one up just barely enough to hold it together.

Mouthfeel is good, nice body and consistency. It makes its presence known. Drinkability is good, but due to the assault on the palate and the abv I wouldn't be having many of these. A wicked example of the style....if you are an I2PA fan you must try it. Thanks to blitheringidiot for this one.

10-30-2004 03:09:35 | More by orbitalr0x
ElGordo

Oregon

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

Pous a cloudy orange/golden hue with a stark white one-inch head. Aroma of grapefruit and floral hops upon opening the bottle, developing a bit of a malty character as it sits in the glass. Rich, deep maltiness strikes the palate first, followed by a citrusy hoppy bitterness towards the back of the mouth. The substantial alcohol asserts itself immediately, both on the palate in in the brain. Bitter aftertaste lingers for quite a while. Body is avoids the syrupy quality of many beers of this strength. Instead, it is slightly foamy, but nice and substantial. I enjoy this beer, and take quite a while to savor its quality. I would, however, never recommend drinking more than one in a sitting.

10-25-2004 04:57:06 | More by ElGordo
counselor

Connecticut

3.4/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours a dark gold with thin head. Initial aromas are of tons of malt with some grapefruit hops, not quite what one expects in the DIPA style. Thes beer definately went for the balance vote because the thickness of the malt almost overwhelmed the hops. I want more hops in my DIPA and this one didn't meet my expectations. The hops couldn;t keep up with the thickness of the beer and when it was gone, I wondered if maybe I got an old bottle, I'll try it again some time and update if necessary

10-23-2004 00:18:10 | More by counselor
poundboy

Vermont

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

This is not a beer for everybody, but it certainly is a beer for me!!

Appearance: Shaded burnished copper with a pure white head that retreats to the edge of the glass after a brief howdy. Slighty clouded, perhaps due the intense hopage going on.

Smell: HOPS, Duh. You can even smell the bitterness. Not ultra floral like some Dogfish brew, just hops everywhere.

Taste: Bitter, floral, and wonderful. The flavor shifts as it rolls down your tongue. At first you get some sweetness and perhaps a bit of lemon. The the hop bitterness nails ya. As it recedes, a pleasant bubbliness combined with the hops briefly numbs your tongue. Not a beer for all occasions, but if your in the mood for a serious IPA, then this one will certainly do it.

Mouthfeel: Thick, strong and massages you tongue with bubbles.

Drinkability: Very drinkable for an IPA of this strength. I don't think could drink it all night, but after drinking one I think anything else would just taste ultra sweet. But I would love to find out how many I can enjoy.

10-18-2004 22:46:23 | More by poundboy
NEhophead

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

On tap at Eli's.

A bright white 1/2" head that settles after a few moments to a thin sheet. Ringed lacing throughout the glass with great strength throughout the entire pint. A thick and hazy deep golden color.

Big hop oil aroma along with some lemon, grapefruit, and other citrus qualities. Also a faint wheat/grain aroma.

The flavor is absolute heaven to a hophead! Citrus and grapefruit attack the palate at first along with some huge hop oil flavors. A very juicy rendition of the style, like biting into a fruit! The bitterness is huge as expected with the style and finishes quite dry. Simply put: a great tasting Double IPA!

Slightly grainy and a bit thick, but this is also to be expected from the style. Coats the palate in almost a syrup-like fashion.

One of my favorites from Rogue! I've had this one many times but this is my first time on tap and I have to say that on tap this is even better than what I remember from the bottle. Given the style and the fact that it's 9.2%abv this is a powerhouse in terms of flavor. If you like the style, or even if you don't, this is something that ever collector should have at least a bottle or two of stored away. My hat goes off again to the fine craft brewers in Oregon.

10-17-2004 23:38:22 | More by NEhophead
FINA

Georgia

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Orangish and semi-cloudy in appearance. May be due to the inexperienced pourer. Very intense hop bitterness that does not linger on the palate. Fruity, citrusy, and floral notes that go a last and last. Subdued malt notes. The hops are definitely king in this brew.

10-04-2004 23:40:35 | More by FINA
ppoitras

12oz bottle purchased as a single from Town & Country, West Springfield, MA, if it matters to anyone...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 2" light beige head over the slightly cloudy light amber brew. Dense, big bubbled head, which shows some resilience, and laces well. Aroma is of piney and citrusy hops, as expected. Taste is all about the hops bitterness, with some balancing malts, but not a lot. Hops could have a bit more character than just mainly pine, but that's more a fault of the style, I guess. Mouthfeel and drinkability are good for the style, but I still think there could be a bit more depth and variety to the hops character.

09-28-2004 23:13:29 | More by ppoitras
blitz134

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

What a beer, finally found these at Green's in Atlanta and I snatched up 3 bottles. The reviews on BA were too good to not pick up a few. I'll definately be back for more.

Appearance: Apricot in color. Light, frothy, white head. Murky looking with some large pieces of sediment slowly floating to the bottom.

Smell: Nice and fruity. I pick up some peach and tangerine aromas, definately inviting. I had high expectiations before I even tasted it. I can't help but purposely smell this one before every sip.

Taste: The bitter hop hit definately comes through on this one, just as expected. I'd be disappointed otherwise, the more the better right ;). The typical grapefruit flavors from the cascade hops are on the forefront of the taste, but they are toned down a bit with the other hop flavors. The hop blend is first rate, making this beer extremely easy on the pallete. The alcohol content doesn't show itself to me at all.

Mouthfeel: Nothing really stood out in this department, which is probably good. Flavor stayed around for a bit in the mouth and changed charcter after going down. Yet another dimension to this beer.

Drinkability: The masterful blend of hops makes this an easy to drink heavy hitting hoppy beer for those who are into that type of thing. I'm definately going back to get a few more of these.

09-28-2004 03:17:47 | More by blitz134