Brutal Bitter Ale - Rogue Ales

rAvg: 4
Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

**NOTE: This beer is now called "Brutal IPA" **
It has also been bottled as "Portland State IPA" (2010).

An Imperial bitter with exotic traditional floor malts, citrusy, hoppy flavor and stupendous hop aroma. Rogue brewmaster John Maier describes his Brutal IPA as a cross between a Very Extra Special Bitter and an Indian Pale Ale. Hedonistic!

8 INGREDIENTS: 2-Row, Carawheat, C15 & Rogue Farms Dare™ & Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Alluvial™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

22oz Bottle & Draft / 15° Plato / 46 IBU / 81 AA / 13° Lovibond

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-28-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brutal Bitter Ale Alström Bros
troegaarden

rjvanston

11-16-2011 03:15:53 | More by rjvanston
hopstorm

Indiana

Absolutely perfect. This is the equivalent to heavens ambrosia. Pours a hazy golden color. Creamy head. Its almost like each sip is a chewy bite of goodness. The malt-hop balance is uncanny. Crystal hops dance on the palate and the malt combination is just fantastic, mostly marris otter I believe. It smells like its going to be hoppier than it is, and while it is hoppy, its just balanced so well. The pac man yeast is probably what pulls it all together. Unlike any traditional british bitter I've ever had. I could drink this all day every day. Rogue really out did themselves here. I really don't know why I buy anything else. A bit pricey at 12 for a 6er but well worth it IMO. Try this one, you won't be disappointed!

01-12-2009 21:19:20 | More by hopstorm
thejordanc

06-28-2012 14:26:34 | More by thejordanc
HopsHops

Indiana

man,.,how picky do you gotta be?

An orange/ gold color with a nice lasting head ...a rich hoppy bitterness u cant deny....IN YOUR FACE!!! flavor for a beer... i thought this was going to be a dark black color i was surprised with it and i absolutely love it...a sweet but bitter smell...the name is a bit much but it IS bitter and i love that...a bitter piece of gold i cant say anything bad about it ....cheers @ rogue

11-18-2006 08:33:00 | More by HopsHops
whallgren

12-04-2011 18:06:47 | More by whallgren
prosper

Alberta (Canada)

4.97/5  rDev +24.3%

Pours a slightly hazy copper colour with a dense off-white foamy head. Leaves a bit of lacing.

Smells very hoppy; a strong grapefruit citrus hop with a creamy malty body backing things up without stealing the show.

Tastes much the same as it smells. Citrus hops dominate, with lots of fruity esters and a nice maltiness rounding things out. Despite the name, it's not at all bitter. More malt presents as it warms up. Ideally this should be served at 10 to 15 degrees, I'd say.

Lightly carbonated, with a medium body and a nice creamy texture.

Stop whatever you're doing right now and go buy some of this.

09-13-2008 00:32:08 | More by prosper
mattmaples

Oregon

4.95/5  rDev +23.8%

Great presentation, light amber color desent head. Wonderful pine/grapefruit hop character. I know it says "Brutal Bitter" but there are plenty beers out there more bitter than this and this one unlike some is well balanced. In fact the hop flavor is what dominates this brew and not the bitterness. I'm not a hop head (but I play one on TV) but I would go for one of these on a regular basis.

09-18-2001 19:29:47 | More by mattmaples
John

4.95/5  rDev +23.8%

Brutal is something to gradually build toward during any session. Once you get here, there's no going back. Superbly hopped in the fine Rogue tradition. Outstanding.

09-19-2001 10:24:20 | More by John
trumick

4.93/5  rDev +23.3%

Pours a light amber color with a big head and lots of lacing all around.

Scent is incredible citrus hop and more hops.

Taste is superb lightly sweet malt with nice bittering hops that finishes with a dry grapefruit hop taste that holds on forever.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and crisp with perfect carbination.

Drinkability will suit all hop heads. I could puth these away all day, but this beer is very expensive. Due to the expense, I can only drink these sparingly once in a while.

I have yet to be disapointed with a Rogue product. This is one of the best beers I have ever had.

10-03-2004 19:15:02 | More by trumick
WalterHeisenberg

New Mexico

4.91/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Aggressive pour into goblet
A: cloudy orange fat off white head. Dies slowly good lacing. Looks mighty tasty
S: Biscuity big lemon orange citrus malty floral hops.smells bitter. Smells as good as it looks
T:Biscuty malty hoppy Bitter orange rind Bitter malty orange dry finish. Malt orange bitter hops linger BUT all balanced very well. Hoppy over the toppy. It ain't called brutal bitter for nothing
M: a tad bit thin at first. Then smooth chewey sticky.
O: It is bitter all around but not brutally. But it's a balanced bitter. Very smooth. Overall a top notch IPA looks smell taste are all quality.You can definetly do way worse I can see this being a bitter pale ale.And this particular bottle was old. I found it in the back of my pantry. Been there 10-12 months. Still pretty nice.

05-06-2013 00:18:39 | More by WalterHeisenberg
mempath

4.9/5  rDev +22.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into my 'mini' hybrid pilsen/ale half-pint glass

pours a cloudy, orange marmalade hue with slighty off-white head...beautiful on top (pancake batter), but sides reveal big, active carbonation...creamy lacing lingers nicely. very pretty

smell is wow, oranges again...citrus sweetness, mandarin...then it shifts to the bitter/sour grapefruit sense, though retaining that sugariness...did i say wow?

like Stone's Ruination, there is nothing really ruining OR brutal here...that is, those are key words for hop heads and warnings to those who don't like the in your face qualities of hoppy brews. the taste is tremendous, unique...perhaps the best Rogue bottling i've had yet. definitely not over hoppy, but this is art, a true craftbrew and the balance is key, making this (along with near perfect mouthfeel of creaminess and crispness) a very drinkable, session brew. i can see this with food, but i wouldn't want to share the palate with anything else. a new favorite for me! should've gotten the bomber...

edit: one more swallow reveals a torrential downpour, a heady constellation of hops all over the mouth, like some sort of supercollider experiment. savor this. or take huge gulps. you can't escape the unique character of this bottling. gotta compare this to Torpedo AND FF Hopfish as potential everyday beer.

another sniff...this is the Earl Grey of brews...;)

04-11-2009 14:09:12 | More by mempath
timholio

4.88/5  rDev +22%

This is one of my new favorite top 5 beers. I like it as much as Fullers ESB which is the classic for this style according to others. This beer seems fresher than Fullers and seems to have more grapefruit flavors but Fullers a bit flatter and slighty 'soapier'(hops?).

I find this beer very drinikable - not too strong in ABV. I really like a bitter beer. So far I haven't found one thats 'too bitter', I'm not sure such a beer exists - if so bring it on. Good job on this one from Rogue.

03-18-2010 23:59:16 | More by timholio
meeekyh

Colorado

4.88/5  rDev +22%

This beer came in a 12oz bottle I am sure is not super-fresh. The price on Rogue beers went up from $8.99 to $10.59 on average about 7 months ago. I bet this beer is from that era.

I note the beer is a nice amber color, on the brown side as opposed to red, and slightly hazy. The head is slight and tan in color, creamy and leaves great lacing.

Nose is floral and a bit citrusy. I would call it subdued but add that there is a fullness that transcends the apparent. The hop character sure comes through.

Despite the name this is not a particularly bitter beer. What I notice in particular is a tangy zip, grainy flavors with a bit of fresh grasses. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is nicely creamy and full without coating or having a pronounced aftertaste. Primo beer to be sure, and not that 'Hawaiian' Primo either, though I don't hate that beer either.

Quaffability is hard to beat. I once made this beer my session beer of choice, when the price was slightly lower. I will not grade against the drinkability for the price though because I would give it a 5.5 for drinkability if I could.

In short this is one of my favorite beers ever and continues to please me, especially after the hiatus I took. Distance makes the heart...etc.

Slainte

03-09-2010 00:57:39 | More by meeekyh
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.85/5  rDev +21.3%

This weekend has been an awesome weekend for beer. I just got back from the grocery store after having been pleasantly surprised by this 22oz gem on the shelf. This is one of the few Rogue bombers that has eluded me since I started drinking better beer a little over a year ago. This is much better than the Younger's Special Bitter, in my opinion.

It pours to a cloudy dark golden/amber color with a perfectly retaining head bursting of hops aroma. The taste was slightly bitter, but not brutally so. In fact, the bitterness seems to come hand in hand with a sweetness across my palate. This is one beer that has lived up to its hype of drinkability.

I went to the store to pick up a six pack of Three Floyds Pride & Joy since I liked it so much when I tried it last night, but I was shocked to see that the store I used to work at (which used to sell 3F's products) didn't have any 3F's in stock. I was very pleased when I saw this, though, and it seems to be filling the same void. Very highly drinkable, very balanced... enough hops to get me off, enough malts to keep me tongue happy, and just a beautifully crafted brew all around. I suggest you seek it out if you can.

02-06-2005 06:14:38 | More by neonbrown82