Oregon Golden Ale - Rogue Ales

Oregon Golden AleOregon Golden Ale

good

Rogue Ales visit their website
Oregon, United States

American Blonde Ale |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 03-14-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Oregon Golden Ale Alström Bros
DougE

2.28/5  rDev -37.9%

All I have to say about this beer is that it was the first Rogue beer I ha tasted I prob. would not try any others... That being said it is the only Rogue I truly did not like at all. Now I will put gibberish so I can post this review. la la ha ha ho ho he!

08-16-2009 06:01:27 | More by DougE
HardTarget

2.48/5  rDev -32.4%

Aroma: A pleasant smell of grapefruit like hops, with some malt coming through. There is also a small hint of alcohol and a lemony trace.
Appearance: Hazy bright orange that started with a nice white head that collapsed back into the beer.
Flavor: The smell isn’t matched in the taste. All the citric notes are washed out by an overly aggressive hop bitterness. The bitterness lingers too long as well, and has an astringent character, possibly over sparged, or an oxygenation issue? I think there’s something wrong with this one. I’ll try to find another and update my review if needed.
Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy mouthfeel, which is a bit too heavy for a Blonde Ale style.
Overall Impression: A disappointing beer from the outstanding brewers of Rogue. This one just didn’t make the grade. I’m a big Rogue fan, so as I said, I’ll try to find another bottle of this to be sure I didn’t get an abused sample, but as for drinkability, I don’t want another.

09-23-2003 03:28:41 | More by HardTarget

10-23-2013 02:58:37 | More by bernat1971
daythree16

Tennessee

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

22 oz. bomber of Sharktooth Ale. Apparently Rogue re-bottled some beers with animal-inspired labels and donated some of the proceeds to the Oregon Aquarium.

Pours an extremely clear golden color. Looks like an over-filtered lager.

Smell has some grassy notes. It is also very yeasty. Smells like the sediment left in the homebrew fermenter after bottling. Not too appealing. Taste is ok. Cereal grain...and not a whole lot else. It's very bland, but it does have an astringent quality to it.

Mouthfeel is light-medium. Not terrible, just not something I'd want to sit around and drink a lot.

09-11-2008 15:11:26 | More by daythree16
terrabyte

Wisconsin

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

"Sharktooth Ale" bomber (Thanks to BuckeyeNation for the trade)

Pours a clear, deep-yellow color with a small, off-white head that disappears completely.

Aroma has a sour wheat smell to it. There is also something a little off, maybe a bit chemical.

Flavor isn't very strong. It has a sour tang to it, and ends with a harsh kick. Otherwise a bit of wheat grain, honey sweetness, and mildly hopped. I can't help but think that maybe this beer has gotten too old.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick and syrupy. Low carbonation.

Drinkability is average. I didn't like this beer. I think maybe it was a little old, or went bad somewhere along its life. I'll definitely have to try this again in "Oregon Golden Ale" form if I come across it.

11-26-2006 03:37:38 | More by terrabyte
Azumel

2.65/5  rDev -27.8%

22 Oz. bottle, poured a golden hay color with very little head. This beer had a great nose to it, but the taste seemed a bit, well, flat. Taste wise reminded me of something like spiced grass, the initial taste was good, the after taste just went away. Very little of anything here but the spicy/hoppy taste. This would have to be my least favorite Rogue beer that I've tried.

07-10-2009 00:53:27 | More by Azumel
LittleCreature

Australia

2.65/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Note: Bottled as Shark Tooth Ale. No marked alcohol percentage.

Appearance - 3.5
Pours a hazy golden yellow with almost two fingers of white foam head.

Smell - 3.5
A rather tart and floral aroma of warm white bread, coriander, ginger, citrus peel, spicy saaz hop and perhaps just a little caramel sweetness.

Taste - 2.5
It is immediately evident that this is a spiced ale, with coriander and ginger dominating the palate. A little bready pale and wheat malt character in the background, zesty lemon, with moderate bitterness from the saaz and willamette, as well as a fair amount of tartness. Ultimately the spiciness is too much for this drinker's taste, making me feel like I am drinking liquefied potpourri rather than beer.

Mouthfeel - 3.5
Light bodied with moderate to lively carbonation and reasonably fine bead.

Drinkability - 1.5
Not generally being a fan of spiced beer, I found this rather hard to drink, and certainly wouldn't bother with it again.

OVERALL - 2.9
I don't think there is anything wrong with brewing a spiced golden ale, but this is way over-spiced in my opinion.

08-04-2010 08:44:29 | More by LittleCreature
Dotcubed

Arkansas

2.68/5  rDev -27%

Bottled under Shark Tooth Ale, I had trouble finding it at first.

Good looking but still close to average. Hazy golden yellow.
Very potent smell when I popped the top. In the glass it's more like saaz and ginger.

Unfortunately flat taste.
No telling how old this bottle is. Wet cardboard and spicy hops.
Bit of heat from some ginger. All really weak, watery flavors. Too reminiscent of a failed home brewing experiment.

Bit watery, some malt.

Further proof that beer needs a produced on date.

06-30-2009 00:52:10 | More by Dotcubed
EliottJW

2.7/5  rDev -26.4%

I want to start off by saying that I am a huge fan of rogue... unfortunately I have had a beer of theirs that I can say that I actually did not like... and it was the shark tooth ale.

This beer started off on the right path. it poured a cloudy, light copper with a good looking stark white head that stuck around for a while. showed nice lacing as it receded down the side of my glass.

smelled really promising to be a super refreshing beer off the bat. Had some nice green apple esters and biscuity malts.

unfortunately, my first sip i when it turned south. it WAS sweet and buscuity, but ended up feeling quite metallic in taste. additionally, it was quite a bit heavier than I would have liked. I couldn't lose the thought of citrus rinds as this sat at the back of my mouth... it was quite off putting.

shared a bomber between the two of us and I actually poured out the last quarter of my glass.

08-11-2009 19:22:19 | More by EliottJW
BeerManDan

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

When this was poured at the brewery, the appearance was of a straw golden color with some head and very little lace. The aroma with of hops and a floral/spicey nature. When I tasted it, I was not impressed at all. I couldn't finish this ale because there was just nothing there. The taste of malts and hops was just not satisfying to my mouth or palate.

08-01-2003 15:03:31 | More by BeerManDan
hooligan

2.93/5  rDev -20.2%

Beautiful golden with slight chill haze, clinging thin white foamy head. Strawlike yeasty character with definate mild herbal hop and sweet malt aroma in the nose. Buttery, with thick malt and a mildly grassy, strong citrusy hop bitterness throughout. Very clean strawlike yeasty taste. Very one-sided, no true blending or complexity. Thick mouthfeel for a golden ale... Not very impressive in my opinion.

03-03-2002 15:25:03 | More by hooligan
juhl31

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

reviewing this as a shark tooth ale, which is an alias i guess

-looks like a decent ale. golden yellow with some fogginess

-smells like a decent smelling lager aka not much

-really, really faint in the hops taste. some metallic taste which is more apparent thanks to eliott.

-feels a bit weird in the aftertaste. sits on your tongue like bitterness would

-didn't really enjoy it much. 1st rogue really that i not so much liked

08-04-2009 02:46:10 | More by juhl31
GreenCard

Oregon

2.98/5  rDev -18.8%

Sampled at Rogue Brewery in Newport, OR.

Appearance: nice golden color, great clarity, some lacing

Aroma: Minty citrusy hop nose, some "hop cheese"

Flavor: aggressively hoppy for a golden ale, tangy hop flavor and a hard to miss bitterness, malt is overwhelmed

Mouthfeel: pretty astringent, light body, good carbonation

Overall Impression: I know it's probably blasphemous, but I'm not a huge fan of Rogue's beers. I've tried 9 or 10 of them and they were all pretty aggressively bitter, even their American Amber was assertive. Finely crafted beers and a brewery that deserves a lot of respect, but I find the high hop rate a bit boring. It's pretty easy to throw a ton of hops in a beer. I must admit, I'm not much of a hop-head, so take my Rogue reviews with a grain of salt. If there's a Rogue ale that is balanced, I'd like to try it.

07-07-2003 16:01:51 | More by GreenCard
magictrokini

Disappointing, especially given Rogue's other products. Pours clear gold with sediment and no head. Aroma is all pale and crystal malt. Taste is a bitter, like and ESB, but without the body or pleasant hop balance. The sweet malt and Cascade hops just did not mix well. Did not enjoy this one.

12-16-2008 16:50:45 | More by magictrokini
GRG1313

03-01-2014 23:23:54 | More by GRG1313
surfmeister

This beer is mislabeled. It is a pale ale by the usual standards, not blonde or "golden" by any stretch. It's a pretty good brew, mind you, but Rogue should change it's name:
Appearance: orange/copper, not "golden", murky with sediment, firm head with good staying power
Smell: fruity with a floral hop aroma, like a pale
Taste: ditto the smell, firm hop bite reminiscent of SNPA
Mouthfeel: appropriate for a PALE
Drinkability: good for a pale but much heavier than a blonde/golden summer quaffer
Note: I liked this beer, but it is not a blonde or golden ale, hence the low score, I guess Rogue is ashamed to make anything that could be considered "lightweight",

03-11-2004 18:08:08 | More by surfmeister
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

"White crane bitter" version. Dunno if it makes a difference.

A - Pours a hazy orange with a loose-ish off-white head.

S - Aroma is grainy with citrusy hops and pungent fruitiness.

T - Very buttery, some fruit and citrus, and dry bitter finish.

M - Moderate body, about par for the course.

D - Initial impression was not favorable - seemed more bitter than flavourful, but it grew on me after a while. Still, not terribly exciting.

04-23-2008 23:23:27 | More by allergictomacros
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.05/5  rDev -16.9%

Bottle courtesy of Okbeer: Poured a deep golden color ale with a nice medium foamy head with some quite good retention and some really good lacing. Aroma of cascade hops is providing some floral notes as well as some medium bitterness. Taste is mostly dominated by the mix of hops and I thought was lacing some malt characteristics. Body is not as full as I would have expected with some great carbonation. I personally think that this beer could have been more rewarding with a bigger malt profile.

05-31-2007 14:03:18 | More by Phyl21ca
hustlemuscle

3.05/5  rDev -16.9%

The first Roque that I didn't really like.

Golden amber out of the bottle, with a small light head.

Hoppy, slightly alchoholic taste.

Tangy and fruity with an alcohol kick at the end. Apples and caramel make an appearance.

Slighly oily mouthfeel, with a lingering alchohol aftertaste.

Had the pour the rest out. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, but this was a disappointment.

03-16-2004 03:54:34 | More by hustlemuscle
Knapp85

3.05/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This brew wasn't too bad. It pours out as a very light yellow color with a billowing head on it. The aroma was of grains and some light citrus. The taste was on the light side, not a whole lot going on here really. It's got just some grains up front and a little bit of a tart hoppiness in the aftertaste. I wouldn't need to have this beer again. I wasn't really impressed.

04-22-2011 02:34:16 | More by Knapp85
beerguy101

3.1/5  rDev -15.5%

Medium gold color. Slightly cloudy, small head. Mild malts with a spicy hoppy character. Good flavor. Smooth taste. Mouthfeel is full. Finish is crisp and clean. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Tasty beer, light and refreshing, but enough hop bite to make it interesting.

09-19-2003 01:38:15 | More by beerguy101
BierReise

3.1/5  rDev -15.5%

A hazy gold ale with a short and short-lived white head. Aroma is somewhat malty with faint citrus and hops. Crisp and slightly bitter with a dry finish. Malt and hops are quite balanced here but I crave more hops and don't find it quite satisfying. Not a bad ale, just lacking character in my opinion.

07-23-2003 19:42:35 | More by BierReise
jackndan

3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

Rogue Oregon Golden Ale: Nice looking Golden hue, with a creamy off-white head. Very noticeable aroma, I can smell it from at least two feet away. Malty aroma, with a hint of apples in the background. Very aggressive malt tastes, sweet and even a little smoky. The taste is consistent throughout and leaves a very long lingering after taste. The hops are understated, and assert themselves primarily toward the end. Tangy carbonated mouth feel. Not bad.

01-17-2003 14:49:40 | More by jackndan
vancurly

Australia

3.13/5  rDev -14.7%

My first ever Rogue....

Big bottle, 630mL. I am very impressed by the ingredient listing and other info.... most bottles say "malt, hops, yeast, water"... But the comprehensive Rogue breakdown shows to me that these guys are true BAs....good work guys, and welcome to Australia....

a) Pours a bright, yet burnished honey to pale amber. The white head drops quickly, but keeps an edge.

s) Honey candy-like on the nose...threatening an onslaught of a cloying, sticky mouthfeel...

f) Corn kernel, honey... breakfast cereal is the biggest comparable. It does taste fresh....

m) Syrupy, sweet and sticky....

d) Happy to drink the bottle... but not a second. I thought that American Blonde was a session-style beer... not too heavy in any dimension... this one seems a bit sweet for mine...

01-14-2009 05:13:06 | More by vancurly